• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo Direct" announcement: New Super Mario Bros 2 DLC [¥200 for pack of 3 maps]

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/abej/direct20120928/index.html

Polygon Iwata is going to tell us about NSMB2 DLC. First group consists of 3 packs.
Pack 1: Go! Go! Gold Mario Pack. 3 courses, up to 30k coins. 2: Challenge the Record Pack A. Top WW scores on HP. Pack 3: Survival Panic Pack, for experts only. DLC packs are not random, but fixed 3 stages each.
DLC accessible from the Shop button on the bottom of the Coin Rush mode menu. Won't appear until SpotPass is read.
DLC course designs are based in part on Club Nintendo survey responses. Packs to be released in JP 10/2, 200 yen each.
The SpotPass message to activate the Shop button will arrive by mid-day on 10/2. Next sets to be released at the end of Oct. and the end of Nov.
Further DLC information will be posted on the website. That's it!
Old. :p

There's nothing wrong with DLC conceptually. And while this stuff doesn't interest me its not offensively priced. Nintendo making DLC is a good thing.

Personally I'd wish they'd been more ambitious, but I guess they're going for the micro in micro transaction.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm scared at the fact that Nintendo has discovered DLC. They were the last "pure" company in that regard.

OH NO, THEY'RE SELLING YOU MORE GAME

How long are we going to have to hear this kind of thing? These were not levels held out of the main game. They were made after the game was done, based upon fan feedback. They are not character skins. They are not horse armor. They are brand new super-hard levels in a Mario game designed for score challenge. In what conceivable universe is this something to complain about? How is it even POSSIBLE that people are finding a way to complain about it?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
These levels are tailored to those who play Mario stages over and over. Not the people that run through Mario games as fast as possible without a care in the world about secret exits, or star coins.

Is 2$ for 3 levels really that expansive? Seems ok to me.

Works for me. Those 'expert levels' look awesome.

NeonZ

It was so small that it wasn't planned on being streamed.

Given how well the FE DLC sold I'm curious as to how well the DLC in this game is going to sell since the DLC is cheaper and the game has a bigger install base.

FE's DLC had a nice balance of fanservice (I mean, the crossovers, redesigned characters and other extras) and content itself though, while this is just pure extra stages for people who want more gameplay. They ARE significantly cheaper though, considering how it's apparently $2 dollars for 3 stages. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out, I guess.

Even if it cost more in the end, I'd have preferred something like a "Wario pack" to just these stages, but I'm not sure how most people will react to these in the end... Maybe the extra gameplay and relatively cheap price are enough.

Mariolee

Well, the thing is, there was no need to make it a "nintendo direct"

Just the usual text images video on a wednesday afternoon would be more then enough to spread the news

Nintendo Direct is a "brand" with enough good connotations that draws more attention. They're also a lot of fun. Where else are you getting floating Iwata heads?

Foffy

Banned
I'm scared at the fact that Nintendo has discovered DLC. They were the last "pure" company in that regard.

To be fair, they're 2 for 2 in DLC that doesn't seem to feel like stuff was taken out of the game. Both New Super Mario Bros 2 and Fire Emblem: Awakening feature DLC that's expansive content that doesn't seem like it was something taken from development and pushed aside to be pooled away for extra money.

Weren't these levels developed after the game went...for lack of a better word here, gold? Like, I don't mind post-game stuff if it's seriously post-game stuff. FF XIII-2 is precisely a game that does additional content terribly, as you can see where the holes are in the title for add-on stuff. In New Super Mario Bros 2, all of that extra stuff isn't even accessed in the normal game.

Yes, DLC has its merits. However, I think $2 for three levels is a bit too much. If those prices remain in the west, people may share the same opinions. The game prices on iOS have definitely altered the value of games for many people.

I haven't really come into contact with DLC pricing on other games, so I'm not sure how Nintendo's pricing compares to other companies'.

I appreciate that these are purely extra levels, but I still think they're a bit overpriced.

AJSousuke

i6ffOcxxWUmIc.gif

well, at least it is something for the ones that bought the game.

GimMick

There are some tough levels in there. Kinda want the Bowser Pack (or if it exists, that suggested bundle pack).

Still hasn't purchased the game yet.

Javier

One of the Super Hard levels seems to be modeled like Extra 2 "Hit That Switch" from Yoshi's Island.

So bought.

Velcro Fly

Coin rush is completely optional. You can complete the worlds in the main game and not even touch Coin Rush. It's not like they stripped out 30 levels and 4 entire worlds to sell to you later on as DLC. And it seems they genuinely listened to what was said on CN surveys.

Also seems like every 4 weeks we could get a DLC update.

I just want NoA release info :(

DjRoomba

Banned
ehh, little dissapointed its not a bunch of differently themed levels, but rather the same levels of the game reconfigured. But if its 2 bucks im in I guess

Zee-Row

Banned
OH NO, THEY'RE SELLING YOU MORE GAME

How long are we going to have to hear this kind of thing? These were not levels held out of the main game. They were made after the game was done, based upon fan feedback. They are not character skins. They are not horse armor. They are brand new super-hard levels in a Mario game designed for score challenge. In what conceivable universe is this something to complain about? How is it even POSSIBLE that people are finding a way to complain about it?

For now , other companies didn't start out with on disk DLC either. Once Nintendo gets comfortable its going to be interesting to see what they do next.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Clearly, the "DLC is the end of Nintendo" camp wasn't aware that Nintendo ended a decade ago when they released DLC levels for SMB3.

It was called e-reader level packs.

Somnid

Yes, DLC has its merits. However, I think $2 for three levels is a bit too much. If those prices remain in the west, people may share the same opinions. The game prices on iOS have definitely altered the value of games for many people.

I haven't really come into contact with DLC pricing on other games, so I'm not sure how Nintendo's pricing compares to other companies'.

I appreciate that these are purely extra levels, but I still think they're a bit overpriced.

On iOS many games have gone free and charge players a couple bucks for what literally amounts to data values like experience or in-game money.

After the ripoff Fire Emblem DLC pricing, I was expecting much worse. I don't like DLC because you are always paying much more for content compared to the base game, but that $2 for 3 levels is reasonable.

I don't care for Coin Rush much though, to be honest. But if they bundle the 3 packs for $5 or so, I may bite.

Would have liked if there were at least different looking environments.

With that said, the expert pack looks twenty times more interesting than everything from the main game.

Hobby

Site's up with pics and info:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/abej/dlc/index.html

TtMFy.png

Go! Go! with Gold Mario pack (3 levels, 10/2 release, 200 yen): For beginners. Can easily enjoy Coin Rush mode.

Nu6x8.png

Challenge the Record A pack (3 levels, 10/2 release, 200 yen): Compete with others through rankings and SpotPass!

sEjRf.png

The Thrilling One Chance pack (3 levels, 10/2 release, 200 yen); For expert users. High level of difficulty.

Nintendo held a questionnaire on Club Nintendo (likely Japan's Club Nintendo) asking players what they wanted the most for new level packs. Some of the answers included "Levels in which you collect a lot of coins" and "Levels that can be repeatedly challenged due to their difficulty".

Also, DLC won't be sold on the eShop, only through the game.

Nekki

This is actually a good strategy. Make a mainstream game, with a balanced amount of easy-hard levels, then go totally wild on dlc.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Clearly, the "DLC is the end of Nintendo" camp wasn't aware that Nintendo ended a decade ago when they released DLC levels for SMB3.

Plus they released a whole disc worth of DLC that they called Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Yeah and they were an awful, customer abusing concept that thankfully they ditched.

I guess it's easy to understand by people are cautious.

Foffy

Banned
For now , other companies didn't start out with on disk DLC either. Once Nintendo gets comfortable its going to be interesting to see what they do next.

EA started with paying for cheats. The greedy companies went with greedy tactics early on.

zroid

Banned
Watching the video again, got damn those levels look good. Especially the Bowser pack, but they all impressed me.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Couldn't care less for NSMB2, but a MK7 DLC Pack I would probably be down for, even if it's just retro maps.

A shame it doesn't appear they put the hooks in for things like that. $2
Or even $5 for me
for 3 new Mario Kart tracks. No one would be complaining. :p

clemenx

Banned
I don't understand some of the outrage at the start of the thread? We already knew this was coming.

People already think every single Nintendo Direct is going to have some big megaton? lol.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Pricing seems good, if they put out enough packs then for $50 you'd get a full game's worth of levels (75, iirc NSMB Wii had like 80).

@MUWANdo

Banned

Every single time Iwata mentions DLC he talks about how they want their approach to differ from other companies by not removing or locking off content so that they can charge extra later, and by not working on DLC until the game itself is done. With NSMB2 in particular they did Club Nintendo surveys after launch to determine what sorts of DLC people wanted and then went from there, so the DLC is a direct response to peoples' requests (ie extra-tough levels, levels suited for coin grinding, leaderboards).

Couldn't care less for NSMB2, but a MK7 DLC Pack I would probably be down for, even if it's just retro maps.

I would be down for this. Hell, $2 a track is fine with me, since they're so robust and replayable. The levels in NSMB2 are just forgettable.

Top Bottom