• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Nintendo Direct" announcement: New Super Mario Bros 2 DLC [¥200 for pack of 3 maps]

hachi

Banned
Regarding the e-Reader levels, the MSRP was $6 for a pack that included 5 new level cards and various power-ups or demo movies (the latter being a forerunner to the Super Skills videos in NSMBWii). $2 for 3 levels in NSMB2 sounds quite reasonable by comparison, though I'd still prefer to have the awesome cards.

supermario3_092603_lebas1k.jpg

By the way, those e-Reader levels (including the Japan-exclusive sets) were some of the finest 2D Mario work in the franchise's history; it's a shame that the e-Reader setup (requiring 2 GBAs at once!) was so prohibitively expensive as to keep most Mario fans from ever having played them.

Funny... I go from NeoGAF for a few hours, and a (mini-)Nintendo Direct was not only announced, but streamed? I guess the jokes about the short notice announcements becoming shorter is true. :p

Can't see why people are upset at the information, though. It all seems reasonable IMO. (Though I can see people being disappointed at this being a mini-Nintendo Direct if they got their hopes up.)

Regarding the e-Reader levels, the MSRP was $6 for a pack that included 5 new level cards and various power-ups or demo movies (the latter being a forerunner to the Super Skills videos in NSMBWii). $2 for 3 levels in NSMB2 sounds quite reasonable by comparison, though I'd still prefer to have the awesome cards.

A good point. The e-Reader levels were 83¢ each, while the New SMB levels are 66¢ each.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Nintendo said they'd be outlining the Wii U OS/online setup in an upcoming Nintendo Direct, so I think that's what a lot of people were expecting to see.

Glass Joe

Not to mention that we've know for ages it would get DLC, it's not held back material, it's based on user surveys and it's cheap.

Yeah if the US is similar, sounds like it will be a total of $6 for 9 levels. Not bad. It's legitimately new content and not stuff held back, so it's an option to extend life to a fun game. I've been done with NSMB2 for a little while now so the timing is about perfect too. Anyone who doesn't want it has the option to not buy, so any negativity makes no sense.

Wasn't there supposed to be a US version of the direct by now? I'd like to know the date and the price for us here.

I think this is great news. Not sure why people are upset. In the 80's/90's if I could pay $3 for some new mario levels it would have made me a happy kid for weeks.

I think this is great news. Not sure why people are upset. In the 80's/90's if I could pay $3 for some new mario levels it would have made me a happy kid for weeks.

People get upset about all DLC even though this same logic can be applied to any of it. Nintendo isn't exempt from this crazy criticism.

sakipon

People get upset about all DLC even though this same logic can be applied to any of it. Nintendo isn't exempt from this crazy criticism.

What would be the solution though? Releasing a NSMB2 sequel?

Personally I feel the game has already offered me enough. I bought it on the launch day and am not even near a million coins + still have a few secret exits to find.

What would be the solution though? Releasing a NSMB2 sequel?

Personally I feel the game has already offered me enough. I bought it on the launch day and am not even near a million coins + still have a few secret exits to find.

Dont ask me. I'm not one of those wack jobs that hates DLC. Hell I used the same "If you told me when I was a kid that I could pay $10 and get a bunch of new characters in SF2...." argument when people were going ape shit over paid DL characters in Capcom fighting games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is the first video footage I've seen that makes me want the game.
Looks frantic, challenging, amazing.

Oh my god! Nintendo is using a concept that almost every developer has been using for six years! How dare they incorporate other ideas and modernize some of their past beliefs!

supermario3_092603_lebas1k.jpg

By the way, those e-Reader levels (including the Japan-exclusive sets) were some of the finest 2D Mario work in the franchise's history; it's a shame that the e-Reader setup (requiring 2 GBAs at once!) was so prohibitively expensive as to keep most Mario fans from ever having played them.

I hope to God the next time they remake SMB3 they include the e-Reader levels. They look incredible.

...Those levels looked really good. I'm genuinely impressed.

But even more impressive was the price point. I was bracing for a big squeeze after all the Fire Emblem DLC, but I think these prices are very fair. It's at just the right price.

(...Which is fortunate, since I felt like I already paid $10 too much with the $40 digital price. I mentioned that in my Club Nintendo survey... which makes me wonder, could these more reasonable DLC prices also be from CN feedback, from both NSMB and FE...?)

DarkPanda

By my count, NSMB2 has 74 levels. At $40, that works out to about $0.54 per level. However, the $40 price also includes the game engine, assets, packaging, ect. $2 for 3 levels works out to about $0.66 per level. This works out to about a 22% increase in the per-level price of the base game vs DLC, or more depending on how you choose to value the game engine + assets + ect that Nintendo didn't have to develop for the DLC. From a pure cost/value perspective the new levels are overpriced, but then so is all DLC. I personally won't be buying any of it, partially because I refuse to support DLC of any kind and partially because I couldn't care less about coin rush mode.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
By my count, NSMB2 has 74 levels. At $40, that works out to about $0.54 per level. However, the $40 price also includes the game engine, assets, packaging, ect. $2 for 3 levels works out to about $0.66 per level. This works out to about a 22% increase in the per-level price of the base game vs DLC, or more depending on how you choose to value the game engine + assets + ect that Nintendo didn't have to develop for the DLC. From a pure cost/value perspective the new levels are overpriced, but then so is all DLC. I personally won't be buying any of it, partially because I refuse to support DLC of any kind and partially because I couldn't care less about coin rush mode.

You refuse to support DLC of any kind?

...What? WHY

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
By my count, NSMB2 has 74 levels. At $40, that works out to about $0.54 per level. However, the $40 price also includes the game engine, assets, packaging, ect. $2 for 3 levels works out to about $0.66 per level. This works out to about a 22% increase in the per-level price of the base game vs DLC, or more depending on how you choose to value the game engine + assets + ect that Nintendo didn't have to develop for the DLC. From a pure cost/value perspective the new levels are overpriced
Nintendo probably calculated it like you did, and made the DLC levels 22% more interesting to balance the equation!

RagnarokX

NSMB2 has 85 levels, not counting rainbow levels.

You're making a pretty big deal over $0.20.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.

Good lord no.

Daschysta

Fuck you, Nintendo.

Anyone who hyped up an off the cuff ND that was actually being serious instead of purposely hyperbolic was being ridiculous. The levels look awesome, and we expected NOTHING tonight before about 8 o' clock. Anyone actually being upset about this puzzles me. It isn't like Nintendo hyped the ND at all, it's cool that they reach out to fans and show them what this stuff is all about in an off the cuff fashion.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Are people still failing to deal with economy of scale when trying to calculate the 'value' of DLC by parting out every little component of a base game?

Hint: it can cost more to have some fully paid employees sit and make individual levels after the primary development of a game is finished.

This is why all DLC is "overpriced". Why, for example, a DLC fighting game character may be $5 by itself since it has to be designed, modeled, animated, voice acted, play tested, bug tested, and the base game re-tested and tweaked for the addition of the new character.

You cannot grab a calculator and split up every level in a retail game to determine the exact value of additional levels created after the game shipped and the team went into full production on another project.

By my count, Fallout 3 can have up to 300 hours of game time in just a single playthrough. At $60, that works out to about $0.20 per hour. Fallout 3 has five DLC packs which a lot of people consider to be how DLC should be like. Each of them cost $10 and can last up to 10 hours. That's $1.00 per hour, $0.80 more than the standalone game. This works out to about a 400% increase (my math could be wrong) in the per-level price of the base game vs DLC, or in other words, shut up. (Someone should really check to see if my math is correct, I'm honestly not the best at it and I'm tired.)

Daschysta

Hahahaha

Does anyone have links to the old thread about how Nintendo is "The company to finally get DLC right"?

How is this not getting DLC right? The levels look fantastic, and they didn't skimp on the content in the game itself, these are truly extra. AND they are super cheap. This is doing DLC right, new content, at cheap prices to extend the life of your games. As opposed to nearly everyone else who releases same day DLC, or so soon after the game is released that it is clear that it was already made and should have been on the disc.

Top Bottom