• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
April 2008 - March 2009:
- 42.254 billion JPY on R&D ($415.91 million)
- 117.308 billion JPY on advertising
4,130 employees at end of year

April 2009 - March 2010:
- 45.471 billion JPY on R&D ($448.12 million)
- 100.217 billion JPY on advertising
4,425 employees at end of year

April 2010 - March 2011:
- 52.756 billion JPY on R&D ($519.86 million)
- 96.359 billion JPY on advertising
4,712 employees at end of year

April 2011 - March 2012:
- 52.675 billion JPY on R&D ($519.06 million)
- 74.599 billion JPY on advertising
4,928 employees at end of year

April 2012 - March 2013:
- 53.483 billion JPY on R&D ($527.02 million)
- 61.104 billion JPY on advertising
5,080 employees at end of year

April 2013 - March 2014:
- 71.736 billion JPY on R&D ($706.89 million)
- 70.264 billion JPY on advertising
5,222 employees at end of year

April 2014 - March 2015 (projected):
- 57 billion JPY on R&D ($561.68 million)
- 62 billion JPY on advertising

Yep, it seems last year was by far the biggest in terms of R&D expenses. This year's projected to be the second most intensive one, too. I hope they're building up in a good way.

Great....I was just convinced and bought a wii u and now I have Nintendo's fiscal report right before me....and it irritates me to no end. Is the Wii u "officially" declared dead? Reading a lot of threads in here....it almost seems like it. While that is OK.....I'm still worried that Nintendo has the same point of view.

I'm still hoping for a lot of quality first party Nintendo games.....is that a pipe dream?

Buy the games already on the system you enjoy.

Don't expect massive amounts more. Maybe 3 or so unannounced big hitters and that's it.

Delio

I agree that their future doesn't seem too bright. I think they'd work better as a developer. I can only imagine how insanely well something like Mario or Pokemon would sell on a Sony product.

Speaking on Pokemon. That would only make sense if Sony would even make another handheld in the far future.

Yep, it seems last year was by far the biggest in terms of R&D expenses. This year's projected to be the second most intensive one, too. I hope they're building up in a good way.

That next gen handheld and QoL service aint gonna be cheap for them.

E-phonk

Banned
Great....I was just convinced and bought a wii u and now I have Nintendo's fiscal report right before me....and it irritates me to no end. Is the Wii u "officially" declared dead? Reading a lot of threads in here....it almost seems like it. While that is OK.....I'm still worried that Nintendo has the same point of view.

I'm still hoping for a lot of quality first party Nintendo games.....is that a pipe dream?

It's not dead as in: they won't make games for it anymore, but they did kind of gave up on the idea that it's sales will explode and skyrocket.

Now the good thing is, they are aiming for a profit with these numbers. So that means they'll need software to sell to the current install base.
I wouldn't worry too much, enjoy the backlog, nes remix 2 and mario kart - and wait until E3. The WiiU has 2 years of releases left until it's officially dead.

As well as they do on Nintendo devices? Not likely. COnsider that only 5 games on the PS3 sold over 5 million, and Mario games have sold well over than on the 3DS. Hell, NSMBU is pushing that on a console with less than 10% of the PS3's installbase.

The PS3's consumer base is not the same as Nintendo's. Just because the PS4 is doing well, does not mean Nintendo would suddenly do amazingly on the PS4.

And hell, the Vita is doing worse than the Wii U, so why would Nintendo move Pokémon onto a device that has sold less than their latest iteration of Pokémon did on the 3DS

There you go. They need to sort things, but their decreases etc. are results of them working at improvement which won't be seen in the short term, rather than just absorbing losses.

It's not to say it WOULD do well. No one can properly forsee how things are going to go in another year or two. Just it would release it to a wider market. There are more PS4s and Xbox One's in homes right now and moving forward. Saturate games that people are familiar with but don't want to buy a Wii or Wii U for, and you have an option to make some money. Everything else in this world is moving towards an all-in-one feeling. Cell phones, computers and TVs have done it. Why not games?

You might want to not read these threads if you think what people say is true.

watershed

Banned
I think they will be alright in that regard assuming their lineup looks like this:
Mario Kart 8 - April
Bayonetta 2 - Summer
Sonic Boom - Fall
Hyrule Warriors - Late Fall/Winter
Smash Bros. - Winter

Maybe Yarn Yoshi in the Summer depending on how far along development is. I don't think X will come out until 2015 but it's another possibility for 2014.
You do realize that only 2 of those games will sell well and have any hope of improving hardware sales? And they release in April and winter respectively. That's a big gap.

Nintendo being completely unaligned with Western market tastes, and thus the major suppliers of games, with the console that's selling terrible and significant threat of substitution from handhelds that's already in effect, is the most likely to emerge victorious and/or unscathed from the changing marketplace? Is this a fan-fiction thread now?

It could be, someone mentioned Sonic earlier

As well as they do on Nintendo devices? Not likely. COnsider that only 5 games on the PS3 sold over 5 million, and Mario games have sold well over than on the 3DS. Hell, NSMBU is pushing that on a console with less than 10% of the PS3's installbase.

The PS3's consumer base is not the same as Nintendo's. Just because the PS4 is doing well, does not mean Nintendo would suddenly do amazingly on the PS4.

And hell, the Vita is doing worse than the Wii U, so why would Nintendo move Pokémon onto a device that has sold less than their latest iteration of Pokémon did on the 3DS

There you go. They need to sort things, but their decreases etc. are results of them working at improvement which won't be seen in the short term, rather than just absorbing losses.
Did you really just say that only 5 games on PS3 sold more than 5m?

Kosma

Banned
Im ready to support Nintendo on my iphone.

Last time nintendo got my money was when I bought dragon quest for the ds like 4 years ago.

This is your chance small n!

JoeM86

It's not to say it WOULD do well. No one can properly forsee how things are going to go in another year or two. Just it would release it to a wider market. There are more PS4s and Xbox One's in homes right now and moving forward. Saturate games that people are familiar with but don't want to buy a Wii or Wii U for, and you have an option to make some money. Everything else in this world is moving towards an all-in-one feeling. Cell phones, computers and TVs have done it. Why not games?

There are more Wii Us in homes than Xbox Ones.

There's also a myriad of factors that are damaging that people continue to ignore when they consider Nintendo going third party.

As delusional as JoeM's posts are, you gotta admit they're fun to read. The dude is dedicated.

Come now, while my industry crash theory may be a bit farfetched, the other posts here are facts that people ignore/don't know about.

Did you really just say that only 5 games on PS3 sold more than 5m?

Yes. Look it up, I'm correct.

CassSept

Dreadful. Forecasts for the next year are terrible too. Even Nintendo doesn't believe the console will reach 10 million sales in 3 years.

Sad to see such a drop for 3DS but that's more expected. At this point it might be doubtful that it will reach even GBA/PSP numbers. But again, within the shifting market it's less shocking than how WiiU is doing.

lol

It's happening!

You have no idea what that means, do you?

Delio

Wait you say All -in-one feeling. As in their being only one console or?

Man looking at that makes me sad. It really feels like aside from the Wii they have no real place in the market anymore. I hope their next console bounces back for them.

I doubt their next console bounce again considering the decline in Gaming and the competition from Sony and Microsoft who cater the hardcore and matured content for the todays people and also they have established IP's, because nintendo games mostly are for family and kids oriented for fun using their old IP's instead of creating new ones.

watershed

Banned
I agree that their future doesn't seem too bright. I think they'd work better as a developer. I can only imagine how insanely well something like Mario or Pokemon would sell on a Sony product.
On what imaginary Sony device would Pokemon sell gangbusters on? The PS4 that doesn't have the right audience or the Vita which is deader than the 3ds? Nintendo is in a bad spot but let's not go crazy here.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Further commitment on Nintendo on IP licensing:

Nintendo strives to utilize its abundance of character IP more actively, providing its IP with more exposure in places other than video games, while achieving a certain level of profit from its licensing business at the same time.

JoeM86

Because there is wishful thinking and then there is outright delusion.

This is the same guy that thought WiiU sales were down because there was a heatwave. At what point do you admit wishful thinking has taken over your sense of reason?

That wasn't what I said. What I said was that, that week, the heat wave COULD have been a factor in the sales. I dislike when people twist my words.

There are more Wii Us in homes than Xbox Ones.

There's also a myriad of factors that are damaging that people continue to ignore when they consider Nintendo going third party.

Well, i'm not an expert on everything, lol. I just go off what the interwebs tell me. Plus, I hate Nintendo but want to give them the benefit of the doubt because my childhood was all nintendo games.

Taker666

April 2008 - March 2009:
- 42.254 billion JPY on R&D ($415.91 million)
- 117.308 billion JPY on advertising
4,130 employees at end of year

April 2009 - March 2010:
- 45.471 billion JPY on R&D ($448.12 million)
- 100.217 billion JPY on advertising
4,425 employees at end of year

April 2010 - March 2011:
- 52.756 billion JPY on R&D ($519.86 million)
- 96.359 billion JPY on advertising
4,712 employees at end of year

April 2011 - March 2012:
- 52.675 billion JPY on R&D ($519.06 million)
- 74.599 billion JPY on advertising
4,928 employees at end of year

April 2012 - March 2013:
- 53.483 billion JPY on R&D ($527.02 million)
- 61.104 billion JPY on advertising
5,080 employees at end of year

April 2013 - March 2014:
- 71.736 billion JPY on R&D ($706.89 million)
- 70.264 billion JPY on advertising
5,222 employees at end of year

April 2014 - March 2015 (projected):
- 57 billion JPY on R&D ($561.68 million)
- 62 billion JPY on advertising

Half their problem seems to be their lack of advertising spend.

It annoyed me when someone at their meeting last year seemingly wanted the marketing spend decreased/not increased....it's half of what it used to be.

Cut your marketing spend in half and you're clearly not going to sell as much hardware...and they are predicting to reduce it again this year..even with big titles like Smash and Mario Kart 8 coming.. I've seen more ads for Second Son for PS4 than Wii U software combined over its life in the UK.

On what imaginary Sony device would Pokemon sell gangbusters on? The PS4 that doesn't have the right audience or the Vita which is deader than the 3ds? Nintendo is in a bad spot but let's not go crazy here.

Well, in his defense, I'd have to imagine that if Nintendo stopped making handhelds, at least a portion of the audience would transfer to whatever Sony was doing, assuming they're making something after the Vita (which they probably aren't)

Delio

I doubt their next console bounce again considering the decline in Gaming and the competition from Sony and Microsoft who cater the hardcore and matured content for the todays people and also they have established IP's, because nintendo games mostly are for family and kids oriented for fun using their old IP's instead of creating new ones.

I dont think their is anything wrong with Nintendo's family friendly vibe tho. I suppose if they DID go third party they would be servicing that family market on the other consoles.

Because there is wishful thinking and then there is outright delusion.

This is the same guy that thought WiiU sales were down because there was a heatwave. At what point do you admit wishful thinking has taken over your sense of reason?
And then theres nobody knows anything so what does it matter what he says? Nobody knows what is going to happen. You can recall data and make educated guesses all you want but it doesnt mean its true.

SmokyDave

I think the Xperia range would probably be a better fit.

As delusional as JoeM's posts are, you gotta admit they're fun to read. The dude is dedicated.

I gotta agree. Dat Heatwave.

Everyone does it why cant he for the side he believes in?

I'm sure we've all been disillusioned on some things at some point in our life. However such dedication in believing something far from reality for such a long time.....its only going to lead to disappointment.

The parallels to Blackberry are strong.

Thats a scary thought.

greg400

Banned
You do realize that only 2 of those games will sell well and have any hope of improving hardware sales? And they release in April and winter respectively. That's a big gap.
Game releases are game releases and they help momentum even if ever so slightly.

AdanVC

don't look at the wii u as a system that can be saved. there's no turning around this ship. just enjoy the games you're looking forward to and have fun. the system will see its last major games release within the year and have a last hurrah at the end of 2015 before the console is replaced in 2016.

It's true. There's no way Nintendo would let Wii U to die just like that, they didn't do that with Game Cube and that console was supported by Nintendo until the very end with Zelda Twilight Princess. Let's just wait for Mario Kart 8, enjoy it, and hope for the best so it can sell well and it can help Wii U in some way. I'm totally sure it will.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Delays screwed up the Wii U's lineup. They just need better 3rd party support if they don't want droughts.

Delays were caused by a near total failure of the Nintendo management to organise their way out of paper bag. Nothing has changed.
Your blind optimism is misplaced.

There was that time in 06/07/08/09 when Nintendo just seemed completely unstoppable, seems crazy just how quickly they've fallen. Although, as they say, what goes up quickly usually comes down quickly.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
it seems that this is where they expect to make all their money while their software/hardware sales are in the shitter and they're spending more on marketing and r&d.

It's just being sensible. They've launched hardware without key software and paid a serious price, they are finally trying to fix that problem by scaling up their development powers and allowing third parties to handle established IPs. Hopefully this will put an end to the software droughts that have blighted their consoles in recent years.

If they have to ride out the Wii U for a couple of years while they get their house in order, so be it. If at the end of all this investment/expansion they are still not able to release regular first party titles, Iwata has to be removed.

Top Bottom