• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Previews are coming in

2.5 hours is...okay?

C5Wx0DwUcAYL_xu.jpg
So essentially it's between 2-3.5 from what we've heard

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Maybe there will be an app you can download that turns your smartphone into a more reliable left joy-con.

Berordn

Sounding an awful lot like a software issue for these joycons considering we didn't hear anything of the sort from preview units on multiple games.

Or has it been reported in more than Zelda yet?

Weird.

How does it feel to play free handed though? Better than with the joycon grip?
For an adult male who is 6'4" with proportional hands the joycons are too tiny to be usable outside of motion only or attached to the Switch.

The grip is too narrow because the buttons and stick are directly on top of one another instead of being offset like a normal controller.

Anyone figure out how long the included USB-C cable is? My Switch will be pretty far from an outlet when hooked up to my TV, so I want to know if I need to buy a longer charger.

But the JoyCon charge while connected to the Switch don't they? There has to be some kind of "direct" communication there for that to happen.

I know there's a power connection, but I could have sworn that Nintendo has said the JoyCon are still operating wirelessly even when attached to the system.

Maybe I am misremembering though.

Listonosh

Weird.

How does it feel to play free handed though? Better than with the joycon grip?

Yeah I love the free hand. I've actually always loved that about the Wii, because I like to lounge, and Joy-Con are comfortable enough where it feels good to hold them separately. I do like the grip too, don't get me wrong, but free-handing is very liberating.

2.5 hours is...okay?

C5Wx0DwUcAYL_xu.jpg

The 2.5 to 3 hour thing never really bothered me for Zelda. If I am away from home I don't see a situation that I will be playing a gaming system for more than a couple of hours straight. Even on plane flights I mix it up. USB charging is also a big plus.

Moose84

From Engadget:

I can't say much about Breath of the Wild yet, but I can confirm that it is very much a Zelda game, albeit one that doesn't look like anything you've seen before. Notably, it also performed a lot better than it did at preview events, where I noticed stuttering and occasional slowdown while it was connected to the dock. I wasn't expecting much from the Switch's graphical capabilities, but there are plenty of moments where Breath of the Wild is just strikingly beautiful.

Lunar15

The system feels pretty dang slick. Extremely happy with my limited hands on with it.

That said, I have seen the de-syncing issue with the left stick, which I hope is something that can be patched rather than a mechanical issue. Also, stick placement is a little strange and takes some time to get used to, especially the right side.

Those problems aside, it's a really nice system. It feels comfortable to hold both with the joy-cons attached and free-handed. While I love my Vita, it's definitely more comfortable to hold.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
2.5 hours is...okay?

C5Wx0DwUcAYL_xu.jpg

I have seen reports about 3 hours here in this thread
For a demanding game like Zelda seems okay imho
Plus. Weren't power supply option somehow needed also by previous portable consoles for a "long business trip"?

Nintendo: We hope you buy the Switch!
You: What's on it?
Nintendo: Zelda!
You: Yay!
Nintendo: But that's it.
You: Wh
Amazon: btw preorder cancelled
Nintendo: Also you gotta pay for online now
You: But
Nintendo: And no VC
Nintendo: And the controllers fuck up
Nintendo: And no batter- Where'd you go?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
No they aren't, I think Day One means Day One here (unfortunately).

But the JoyCon charge while connected to the Switch don't they? There has to be some kind of "direct" communication there for that to happen.

Nope! Every outlet I've checked in with said the update isn't available until launch day. Which is kind of annoying because it means no previews for eShop or confirmation of online features.

They're not
Okay! So there is a Chance that the day one update can help with that problem

Has any of the reviewers gone into what power banks work with the system? Been waiting for information on that to buy my next one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The system feels pretty dang slick. Extremely happy with my limited hands on with it.

That said, I have seen the de-syncing issue with the left stick, which I hope is something that can be patched rather than a mechanical issue. Also, stick placement is a little strange and takes some time to get used to, especially the right side.

Yeah, Nintendo having to recall/replace these would be an abject disaster.

Hoping it is just a firmware issue.

The_Lump

Banned
It's 10k so, you know, it's probably running perfectly fine.

Well quite:

From Engadget:
Engadget said:
I can't say much about Breath of the Wild yet, but I can confirm that it is very much a Zelda game, albeit one that doesn't look like anything you've seen before. Notably, it also performed a lot better than it did at preview events, where I noticed stuttering and occasional slowdown while it was connected to the dock. I wasn't expecting much from the Switch's graphical capabilities, but there are plenty of moments where Breath of the Wild is just strikingly beautiful

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Really? Even if it is a widespread issue, Nintendo will fix it. Guaranteed.

^ This. The issue at hand is definitely something that can be addressed via a software update. Heck, it could already be addressed via the day-one update that reviewers won't get to download ahead of time.

Buying day one hardware is always a gamble honestly.

yeah. i'll wait until they fix it then.

Really? Even if it is a widespread issue, Nintendo will fix it. Guaranteed.

^ This. The issue at hand is definitely something that can be addressed via a software update. Heck, it could already be addressed via the day-one update that reviewers won't get to download ahead of time.

Buying day one hardware is always a gamble honestly.

Couleurs

Nintendo: We hope you buy the Switch!
You: What's on it?
Nintendo: Zelda!
You: Yay!
Nintendo: But that's it.
You: Wh
Amazon: btw preorder cancelled
Nintendo: Also you gotta pay for online now
You: But
Nintendo: And no VC
Nintendo: And the controllers fuck up
Nintendo: And no batter- Where'd you go?

Nintendo: Probably went to pick up a microsd card to make up for the lack of internal storage

Cheech

Yeah, Nintendo having to recall/replace these would be an abject disaster.

Hoping it is just a firmware issue.

Nah, the original PS3s had issues with the controllers losing Bluetooth sync. I had this issue. I called Sony, they sent me a new Sixaxis with what I assume is a better antenna/more power, and it was all good. These things happen on launch hardware.

NotLiquid

I definitely don't want to think that Nintendo shipped a malfunctioning product in terms of the hardware. Based on everything that we've seen it's kinda baffling to think that the Switch with it's super slick hardware has such glaring defects. I really hope it's just firmware issues.

Top Bottom