• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA bringing over a star from the east!

GCX

Spiegel said:
That Punch-out boxart make the game look like shovelware.

Thinking again, this could help the sales. GENIOUS
It worked before.

0c34798c269d5667298b17e5a99d4d1f-Super_Punch_Out.jpg

Though I don't think the Wii box looks like shovelware at all.

maxmars

EXCITE: So it's a spin-off, not a main game. Hm. Well, ET was so good, I'd say let's wait to see what is all about. So far we hardly know a thing.

Haunted

maxmars said:
EXCITE: So it's a spin-off, not a main game. Hm. Well, ET was so good, I'd say let's wait to see what is all about. So far we hardly know a thing.
Wait what? Where does it say that? Racing games don't get spin-offs. :lol

Family-friendly just means that it uses the Wii wheel. Tricks are self explanatory, a staple of the series. Minigames possibly denotes different multiplayer modes.

Jaded Alyx said:
Family friendly likely refers to the use of the Wii Wheel.

There were tricks in Excite Truck.

Minigames...well yeh.

I don't really understand why saying minigames makes people think it's ONLY minigames. Sounds to me like a "party mode." I don't see why we have any reason to expect anything less than a real EXCITE game.

A Twisty Fluken said:
I don't really understand why saying minigames makes people think it's ONLY minigames. Sounds to me like a "party mode." I don't see why we have any reason to expect anything less than a real EXCITE game.
Agreed. I don't really get it either.

Anyway, why Excitebots though?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If it is indeed being made by MonsterGames I don't think there is much to worry about. Can't find the article offhand, but they were interviewed a while ago and the descriptions of their Nintendo product certainly didn't come across as a casual mini game fest.

I'm not saying its not but does it actually say anywhere that excitebots is actually the secret game that monster have been working on, i cant see mention of the developer anywhere

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Excite Truck is a game that would definitely benefit from some more multiplayer modes.

As long as these mini games are in addition to a new single player mode, I'm down like Charlie Brown humpin a clown.

[Nintex]

So Nintendo announces the releasedate of a game, less than 2 months before it hits and no other info or even screenshots?

GCX

frankie_baby said:
I'm not saying its not but does it actually say anywhere that excitebots is actually the secret game that monster have been working on, i cant see mention of the developer anywhere
Monster Games has been developing a new game for Wii for a while now.

Their previous game was Excite Truck.

So if you count 1+1 it kinda makes sense. Not confirmed though.

Haunted

[Nintex] said:
So Nintendo announces the releasedate of a game, less than 2 months before it hits and no other info or even screenshots?
We might even get to see the boxart a week before it hits the shelves if we're lucky.

Yeah, I don't really know how many core titles have to underperform before Nintendo abandons the "little marketing, no hype, just quietly announce it and release it under the radar" approach.

The screenshot whore in me wants years between announcement and release and constant attention and pampering like PCPS360 games are getting.

[Nintex]

CubeRevolution said:
I hope tommorow - but just a guess.

And perhaps Another Code and Wii Sports Resort before America.
Rhythm Paradise and Another Code should be out in April, if they haven't messed up their releaselist again.

Jme

Jaded Alyx said:
Yes but...WHY!? :lol

So you mean to tell me you've never dreamed of riding the back of a robot, piggy back style? And you never dreamed of racing in such a fashion?

Then I dare say sir, that I don't believe you've ever really dreamed at all!

Jaded Alyx said:
Yes but...WHY!? :lol

because we are going to drive ROBOTs!!!

edit: beaten twice! in a row lol

we are going to drive robots that transform in bikes, trucks or cars and its goig to be exciting!

Proven

Haunted said:
We might even get to see the boxart a week before it hits the shelves if we're lucky.

Yeah, I don't really know how many core titles have to underperform before Nintendo abandons the "little marketing, no hype, just quietly announce it and release it under the radar" approach.

The screenshot whore in me wants years between announcement and release and constant attention and pampering like PCPS360 games are getting.

Honestly, I'm wondering if this is their continued sense of giving third parties a chance to get going on their system. Have only a few major advertised releases and then have the others have their cake while they stay afloat on low budget quality releases.

[Nintex] said:
Rhythm Paradise and Another Code should be out in April, if they haven't messed up their releaselist again.

Another Code for April seem a good choice.

And Rhythm Paradise will get a big marketing push.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Proven said:
Honestly, I'm wondering if this is their continued sense of giving third parties a chance to get going on their system. Have only a few major advertised releases and then have the others have their cake while they stay afloat on low budget quality releases.

if they wanted to "give third parties a chance" they'd co-market, co-publish, counter-program, and set stuff up. not just abdicate the thrown and say "okay he who wants it take it!!!"

Neo Samus said:
I hate asking this but, could someone post the whole press release for the "at work" impaired?

Here:

NINTENDO'S VIDEO GAME LINEUP DEMONSTRATES GAMING DIVERSITY

New Games Announced for Nintendo Systems

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 26, 2009 – While everyone is still buzzing about the upcoming April 5 launch of the Nintendo DSi™ system, video game fans will have plenty of great games and experiences to keep them busy. Nintendo has an extensive, diverse library of about 120 games on the way for both the Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ systems. Upcoming Nintendo-published video games for Wii include:

Excitebots™: Trick Racing has elements that make it one of the more unique racing games on the market. It launches April 20 and lets everyone in the family use the Wii Wheel™ accessory in unique and changing environments, play fun minigames and perform crazy tricks in a game that builds on the Excitebike™ and Excite Truck™ franchises.

Donkey Kong® Jungle Beat™, originally made for the Nintendo GameCube™ system, launches May 4 with newly added motion controls. It's the latest in Nintendo's New Play Control! series of games.

Punch-Out!!™ launches May 18 and brings back all of the fun of the beloved, classic NES® game that thrilled players in the early 1990s. Boxers battle as iconic hero Little Mac as they fight their way through a cast of new and familiar boxing opponents on their quest to win the coveted WVBA (World Video Boxing Association) Championship Belt.

Nintendo's downloadable WiiWare service continues to be a showcase for new games, new concepts and new ideas. A selection of upcoming titles includes:

• BIT.TRIP BEAT, developed by Gaijin Games and published by Aksys Games: BIT.TRIP BEAT is what you get when you mix classic video gaming with modern gaming sensibilities. What may seem like a simple "paddle" game turns into a psychedelic trip down memory lane which has you hitting "beats" in rhythm to Chiptune style music. While the game can be difficult, if you crank up the tunes and get in the zone, you'll have a great time. Performing perfectly isn't required to experience all the game's content, but the extra challenge will keep score-hunters coming back in search of each level's elusive "PERFECT" score.

• Eduardo the Samurai Toaster, developed and published by Semnat Studios LLC: Fight your way through 13 diverse locations on your own or with up to three friends in this frenetic and stylish side-scrolling action game. Play as Eduardo and his fellow toaster buddies as you fire an assortment of pastries at all kinds of dastardly food products. Hop onto laser-mounted scooters and fly across the screen in rocket packs, and learn to cooperate with your teammates or simply annoy each other in an awesomely fun way by throwing each other around the screen. The choice is up to you.

• Night Game, developed and published by Nicalis: Exclusively for WiiWare, Night Game (working title) is part action game and part puzzler. It invites players into a beautifully atmospheric world, where they must use real physics to maneuver a mysterious, glowing sphere through vastly different locales. Night Game pushes the boundaries of design with its unique art style, and professionally produced music score. This title is a 2009 Independent Games Festival Seumas McNally Award nominee and from the same developers responsible for Cave Story on Wii.

• Swords & Soldiers, developed and published by Ronimo Games: Swords & Soldiers is a side-scrolling real-time strategy game, in which three distinct factions battle for the powers of the gods. The goal is to destroy the enemies' castle on the other end of the level, while protecting your own. This can be done by training powerful units or casting devastating spells. The game will feature a single-player campaign and a competitive split-screen multiplayer mode as well as several other game modes.

Great titles are also on the way for the portable Nintendo DS system. Some Nintendo-published video games for Nintendo DS include:

Rhythm Heaven™ is an infectious video game that has been a huge hit in Japan. Players tap and slide the stylus on the touch screen in time to the beat. This fun, stylized game launches April 5.

A new entry in the Personal Trainer series is Personal Trainer™: Walking, which launches May 25. Personal Trainer: Walking tracks users' progress and makes going for a walk a little more fun. It comes with two pedometers that users can wirelessly connect to their Nintendo DS system when they return home.

In The Legendary Starfy™ game, which launches June 8, players dive into a spectacular undersea adventure with Starfy, the legendary hero of Pufftop. Players swoop into enemies like a shooting star, glide over bottomless chasms and transform into powerful creatures to help a mysterious, bunny-eared visitor find his lost memory.

In recent weeks, multiple third-party publishers have announced plans to boost their support of Nintendo systems. Between now and June, Nintendo fans will enjoy games like: The Conduit™, a first-person shooter from Sega that pits players against a terrifying group of alien invaders intent on taking over a futuristic Washington, D.C.; EA SPORTS Active™, a Wii exclusive from Electronic Arts that offers players fun, easy-to-learn exercises and activities that users can do with family and friends; and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10, the newest iteration of the popular golf game from Electronic Arts that lets players hit the links to prove their driving and putting prowess.

Below is a partial list of upcoming games for Wii and Nintendo DS. Note that game titles and launch dates are subject to change.

Wii

2K Sports
Major League Baseball® 2K9 - March 3
Don King Boxing - March 31

Activision
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - May
Ice Age 3 - June 30
Transformers™: Revenge of the Fallen - June

Aksys Games
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus - May 12

Atari
Ready 2 Rumble Revolution - March 17
Backyard Baseball 10 - March 31

Capcom Entertainment Inc.
MotoGP™ - Spring

Codemasters Inc
Overlord Dark Legend - Summer

Conspiracy Games
Real Heroes: Firefighter - April

Deep Silver, Inc.
Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity - April
Fritz Chess - May

Disney Interactive Studios
Hannah Montana The Movie - April

Electronic Arts
TRIVIAL PURSUIT™ - March
MySims™ Party - March
EA SPORTS Active™ - May 19
Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 - June
BOOM BLOX™ Bash Party - Spring
MySims™ Racing - Summer
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince™ - Summer
G.I. JOE™ The Rise of Cobra - Summer
EA SPORTS Tennis (working title) - Summer

Hudson Entertainment
Help Wanted - Summer

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
DanceDanceRevolution® Disney Grooves - April 2
Yu-Gi-Oh! ™ 5D's Wheelie Breakers - May 19

LucasArts
Indiana Jones® and the Staff of Kings™ - Late Spring

NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc
Klonoa® - Q2

Nintendo
New Play Control! Pikmin™ - March 9
New Play Control! Mario Power Tennis™ - March 9
Excitebots: Trick Racing - April 20
New Play Control! Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - May 4
Punch-Out!! - May 18

SEGA of America
Virtua Tennis™ 2009 - May
The Conduit™ - June
Let's Tap™ - June

Southpeak Interactive
Roogoo Twisted Towers™ - April 7
Pirates vs Ninjas Dodgeball™ - April 21

Zoo Games, Inc.
M&M's Beach Party - March 10
Puzzle Kingdoms - March 31
Garfield Gets Real - April 7
Pennzoil's Build-N-Race: "Speed Demons" - April 14
Jelly Belly Ballistic Beans - April 21
Smiley World Island Challenge - April 28
Garfield's Pet Force - June 9

Nintendo DS

2K Sports
MLB® 2K9 Fantasy All-Stars - March 3
Don King Boxing - March 31

Activision
X-Men Origins: Wolverine - May
Ice Age 3 - June 30
Transformers™: Revenge of the Fallen - June

Activision/RedOctane
Guitar Hero® On Tour: Modern Hits - June

Aksys Games
Jake Hunter Detective Chronicles: Memories of the Past - May 26
Rockin' Pretty - June 23

Aspyr Media, Inc.
Treasure World™ - June

Atari
Backyard Baseball '10 - March 31
My Horse and Me Riding For Gold - March 31

Atlus U.S.A., Inc.
TrackMania® DS - March 17
Tokyo Beat Down™ - March 31
The Dark Spire™ - April 14
Dokapon Journey™ - April 14
Steal Princess™ - April 21
101 in 1 Explosive Megamix - April 21
Super Robot Taisen® OG Saga:Endless Frontier™ - April 28
Knights in the Nightmare™ - June 2
Shin Megami Tensei®: Devil Survivor™ - June 23

Capcom
Mega Man Starforce 3 Black Ace - June
Mega Man Starforce 3 Red Joker - June

Codemasters Inc
Overlord Minions - Summer

Deep Silver, Inc.
Pet Vet: Down Under - March
Professor Heinz Wolff's Gravity - April
Elite Forces: Unit 77 - April
DJ Star - May
Fritz Chess - May
The Humans - May
Horoscope DS - May

Disney Interactive Studios
Hannah Montana The Movie - April

DreamCatcher
Dreamer: Shop Owner - April 21
Dreamer: Babysitter - April 21
Dreamer: Teacher - April 21
Prank'd - May 19

Electronic Arts
Zubo™ - March 10
Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure™ - March 17
MySims™ Party - March
SCRABBLE™ - March
LITTLEST PET SHOP Spring™ - March
MySims™ Racing - Summer
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince™ - Summer

Hudson Entertainment
Miami Law - Summer

KOEI
Monster Racers™ - June

Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times™ - May 5
Yu-Gi-Oh!™ 5D's Stardust Accelerators World Championship 2009 - May 19

LucasArts
Indiana Jones® and the Staff of Kings™ - Late Spring

Majesco Entertainment
Puffins: Island Adventure - April 14
Powerbike - April 28
Drama Queens - May
Marker Man Adventures - May
Hot 'n' Cold - May
Dawn of Heroes - June

MumboJumbo
Crazy Chicken Star Karts - March 31
Crazy Chicken Atlantis Quest - April 28
Crazy Chicken The Pharaoh's Treasure - June 2
7 Wonders II - June 30

Nintendo
Rhythm Heaven - April 5
Personal Trainer: Walking - May 25
The Legendary Starfy - June 8

PopCap Games, Inc.
Peggle™ Dual Shot - March 3

Rockstar Games
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - March 17

Southpeak Interactive
Roogoo Attack™ - April 7

THQ
Desktop Tower Defense - April 29

Ubisoft
Imagine® Makeup Artist - May 5
Imagine® Music Fest - May 5
Imagine® Boutique Owner - May 26
My Healthy Cooking Coach - June 2
Petz® Fashion: Dogz and Catz - June 9
Jake Power Soccer Club - June 16

Valcon Games
History Channel: Great Empires: Rome - March 17

Zoo Games, Inc.
Yamaha Supercross - March 10
Hands On!: Tangrams - March 24
Puzzle Kingdoms - March 31
Garfield Gets Real - April 7
Jelly Belly Ballistic Beans - April 21
Smiley World Island Challenge - April 28
Garfield's Pet Force - June 9

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
do you people not know how to read press releases or something?
Excitebots™: Trick Racing has elements that make it one of the more unique racing games on the market. It launches April 20 and lets everyone in the family use the Wii Wheel™ accessory in unique and changing environments, play fun minigames and perform crazy tricks in a game that builds on the Excitebike™ and Excite Truck™ franchises.

1. EXCITE
2. Wii Wheel support, which people have been asking for ANYWAY since Excite Truck always controlled by "steering" the remote
3. "unique and changing environments" - the terrain deformation stuff returns from the first game
4. there are now minigames as well
5. the game is still trick-based

What is there to complain about?

Jme

Htown said:
What is there to complain about?

Lack of screens, especially when its first announcement at even EXISTING is 7 weeks before its release date. It's worded vaguely enough to be concerning for the Excite franchise. Also, exciteBOTS?

Masked Man

I said wow
STARFY! :D

My Beloved Sakurai said:
"I’ll do it! I’m doing it!"

...He never says anything like that.

Sakurai's two-for-two now, right? First it was Little Mac, now it's Stafy / Starfy. Maybe MOTHER3 still has a chance...
;_;

I'm a little iffy about using "Starfy," too, mainly because it rhymes with "Barfy." I like the GBA games, though, so I'm really looking forward to an official English release. I wonder if we'll see the GBA games in a compilation down the road.

I would have liked to see Layton 2 or M&L 3 get dated, but I guess we'll just have to wait. Nice to see Rhythm Tengoku dated, though.

Also, OMG PUNCH-OUT!!

bryehn said:
That Punch-Out! box is horrendous.

I would quote your avatar, but I hate Family Guy too much to even bring myself down to that level.

FoneBone

Mejilan said:
Good start, but where are the RPGs?
A.S.H., Mario & Luigi 3, Soma Bringer, Heracles...
We all know Mario & Luigi is still coming, and that the others never will, so why bother asking? Surprised that NoA is waiting until Q3, though.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Stafy always seemed to be a very young gamer's game, even for Nintendo. The only thing I ever heard about the games were that they're insultingly easy to finish. I don't get why some people are looking forward to it with such eager.

Even his Trophy appearance in Smash Bros. Brawl was weak. It pretty much seems to be his... thing.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
If Tiger Woods is really June then Wii Sports Resort must be coming May/June as well. Maybe we'll get a release date at GDC.

A Twisty Fluken said:

Because it's now trendy (again) to hate on Nintendo. I thought today's news was great, but this thread has been a bummer.

adg1034

I just emailed Monster Games. Hopefully I'll find out if they're the brains behind Excitebots in a couple hours.

*still crossing fingers for their top secret game to be either F-Zero or Excite Truck 2: Truck Harder*

I can't believe they're finally localising Starfy. I hope that this one the 4th game and that they release the 5th game later. Still need to play number 3 mind.

jibblypop

Banned
Oh man EXCITE!!! I hope that it really plays a lot like excite truck. I know that is an obvious statement but I don't care. I fear there are ways they could fuck it up but I will be optimistic about it since I loved that game so much.

Haunted said:

Why release anything if they can get us excited with a few words?

Why release anything on the net if most of their audience learn new games from TV?

JKBii

schuelma said:
Oh and bravo Nintendo for your big unveiling of Excitebots!

A mention in a P.R when the game is out in less than two months.

Way to build hype
This make a lot of sense actually. Core gamers pine through information and modify their planned purchases all the time, so two months is plenty of time to get hype building up. Casual gamers won't follow the hype until they see posters and commercials.

And I hate that they aren't bringing more things over from Japan since they aren't subsidizing that with western development. I could see if there was an argument that maybe in this economy it would be cheaper to not bring them than to pay the staff to translate them and sell a few copies to the people who'd buy them. But if that's not the case, they are just fucked up.

[Nintex] said:

Think about it. Nintendo issues PR with tentative releases and dates through the end of summer that showcases all of the third party support it apparently has. This coming at a time when it is being reported that third party support for Wii is waning due to shit sales. I view this release as nothing more than an effort to put out fires before they begin.

Top Bottom