• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 PS+ Games - BOI, Steamworld Dig, Frozen Syn, Luftrausers, Escape Plan

D_Generate87

Neo Member
Would you buy all 72 of those games if you didn't have to? Humble bundles come out all the time, steam sales happen all the time, but I very rarely take part in them.

Of course I wouldn't buy every single one of them, but since they're included in my subscription I definitely try them all, and I've ended up LOVING some of them which I otherwise would not have wanted to spend $15 on to try them out.

For example, I wasn't interested in Don't Starve because the graphics/art style turned me off - I got it with PS+ and couldn't stop playing it for weeks.

Griss

I'm very happy with the PS4 lineup this month, both those games look awesome to me.

However it's clear that more and more people aren't satisfied with PS+ each and every month. You see it here, on the PS Blog, on other forums, everywhere. Before it was nothing but a massive celebration every month when the games are released. Now, things have changed. Whatever you think about their opinions, these people entitled to them, and it's an issue for Sony if people start feeling ransomed by needing PS+ just to play online, when the service was always about free games and discounts for years before PS4 showed up. A lot of that goodwill appears to be evaporating.

It'll be interesting to see whether Sony keeps PS+ on this current track or goes back to attempting to deliver what they were doing one to two years ago.

A few indie snacks are fine, but Plus needs some real games.

Wow, way too just slap every indie developer right in the face...

Indie games aren't real games? That's just ridiculous..

Please give us your definition of a "real game." Don't just list names, but what features, budget, style ect. would you call a "real game?" Lol

MercuryLS

Banned
We need to get full retail titles like Angry Birds: Star Wars for ps+ to be worth it. Sony better comply next month, and quit it with this indie shit or they can kiss their business goodbye. I'm an expert.

Afrodium

Banned
First month since I've been a subscriber that there is nothing I am interested in. I knew the quantity of AAA content would drop once it became mandatory for PS4 online.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with people who prefer AAA content over Indies. Yes, a game is a game is a game. But is it really so hard for some of you to not see how some would prefer an experience like Bioshock Infinite versus something like Spelunky?

The problem isn't people wanting Bioshock Infinite over Spelunky, it's people wanting Knack over Spelunky.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Yup stopping ps plus after it expired.

In all honesty I would too if it wasn't required with how the last few months have been :-/.

Of course I wouldn't buy every single one of them, but since they're included in my subscription I definitely try them all, and I've ended up LOVING some of them which I otherwise would not have wanted to spend $15 on to try them out.

For example, I wasn't interested in Don't Starve because the graphics/art style turned me off - I got it with PS+ and couldn't stop playing it for weeks.

Well that's great for you, that's why we have free demos btw, but that's besides the point. For somebody like you, you don't care if there isn't something you wanted in there. Like I said I got a handful of games out of this that I enjoyed. I enjoyed outlast, for a few hours then the scariness wore off. I enjoyed Don't starve, but mainly because at the time I didn't have much else to play on my ps4, and besides I could've got that damn cheap either in a humble bundle or a steam sale. I really liked Dust this past month. Out of those 3 I would've bought Dust, and realistically I would've waited for a sale. The others I would've got as a toss in on a humble bundle and played them for the few hours like I did.

On the other hand I really disliked mercenary kings, haven't touched road not taken, really wasn't a fan of contrast, did not like stick it to the man, already had bought spelunky (1 dollar on psn sale fyi), already had dead nation for free from the psn downtime, so on so forth. It's mostly been really mediocre or small indie games that I just don't often spend money on. I understand why some do, that's their thing go for it, I'm all for indie developers. I just don't get how the defense force doesn't get that there are people who don't want these games, and wouldn't pay for it otherwise.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wow, way too just slap every indie developer right in the face...

Indie games aren't real games? That's just ridiculous..

Please give us your definition of a "real game." Don't just list names, but what features, budget, style ect. would you call a "real game?" Lol

Oh get off your high horse and relax. Indie games are clearly on a smaller scale than AAA titles. I enjoy a fair amount of indie games, but a lot of the time they're time killers or they're less story driven, or they're shorter, etc. Yeah they have plenty of "content", spelunky is endlessly replayable... however spelunky has a difficult learning curve and realistically only has a handful of levels, not a lot of people are into arcade style high score games. Dust was a nice hack and slash, but let's not pretend it's DMC or GOW. Outlast was a nice little thriller, but in no way does it have the longevity of a survival horror game like resident evil or evil within.

edit- do you think these small indie teams (sometimes only 2 or 3 people big) can really create a game that's as deep as the majority of full price titles? Maybe in your opinion it is, but to most people it's not even close.

edit edit- also sorry for the DP.

Briarios

Here's my two cents, with no knowledge if these sorts of discussions have been had -- but, during months with huge releases, I'd release indies on PS+ because you want money to go to those massive titles, but you don't want to destroy the indie ecosystem on your platform. Then, during slow months, you release retail games to keep your console owners happy while hoping they spend their money on indies.

That's just how I'd do it if I were in charge ...

I'm very happy with the PS4 lineup this month, both those games look awesome to me.

However it's clear that more and more people aren't satisfied with PS+ each and every month. You see it here, on the PS Blog, on other forums, everywhere. Before it was nothing but a massive celebration every month when the games are released. Now, things have changed. Whatever you think about their opinions, these people entitled to them, and it's an issue for Sony if people start feeling ransomed by needing PS+ just to play online, when the service was always about free games and discounts for years before PS4 showed up. A lot of that goodwill appears to be evaporating.

It'll be interesting to see whether Sony keeps PS+ on this current track or goes back to attempting to deliver what they were doing one to two years ago.

It's different when it was optional, people that don't like the games just don't subscribe, now PS4 owners have to subscribe to play online

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That was exactly my point when I said 'ransomed'.

You mention go back to "two years ago", but really just a few months back we were getting some damn good titles. Hell we got BL2, Bioshock infinite, DMC, etc. It could be a coincidence, it could be more, but honest to god the quality has plummeted in terms of size of the games since the plus sub became mandatory for online.

MUnited83

For you.
In all honesty I would too if it wasn't required with how the last few months have been :-/.

Well that's great for you, that's why we have free demos btw, but that's besides the point. For somebody like you, you don't care if there isn't something you wanted in there. Like I said I got a handful of games out of this that I enjoyed. I enjoyed outlast, for a few hours then the scariness wore off. I enjoyed Don't starve, but mainly because at the time I didn't have much else to play on my ps4, and besides I could've got that damn cheap either in a humble bundle or a steam sale.
Please do link me to the humble bundle that included Don't Starve because you seem to have access to some special humble bundles that never happened at all.

You mention go back to "two years ago", but really just a few months back we were getting some damn good titles. Hell we got BL2, Bioshock infinite, DMC, etc. It could be a coincidence, it could be more, but honest to god the quality has plummeted in terms of size of the games since the plus sub became mandatory for online.
All of those were this year. (also Tomb Raider and Remember me). The mandatory for online was already up for a few months before that.

D_Generate87

Neo Member

Well that's great for you, that's why we have free demos btw, but that's besides the point. For somebody like you, you don't care if there isn't something you wanted in there. Like I said I got a handful of games out of this that I enjoyed. I enjoyed outlast, for a few hours then the scariness wore off. I enjoyed Don't starve, but mainly because at the time I didn't have much else to play on my ps4, and besides I could've got that damn cheap either in a humble bundle or a steam sale. I really liked Dust this past month. Out of those 3 I would've bought Dust, and realistically I would've waited for a sale. The others I would've got as a toss in on a humble bundle and played them for the few hours like I did.

On the other hand I really disliked mercenary kings, haven't touched road not taken, really wasn't a fan of contrast, did not like stick it to the man, already had bought spelunky (1 dollar on psn sale fyi), already had dead nation for free from the psn downtime, so on so forth. It's mostly been really mediocre or small indie games that I just don't often spend money on. I understand why some do, that's their thing go for it, I'm all for indie developers. I just don't get how the defense force doesn't get that there are people who don't want these games, and wouldn't pay for it otherwise.

There are barely any free demos on PSN, which does suck.

The main reason people are getting defensive is because people are brushing off these amazing games because they're indie. To me, someone saying "oh great some more indies, how about some real games" when they are talking about Binding of Isaac is just like someone saying the Last of Us is just another third person shooter clone of whatever game.

David___

Banned
edit- do you think these small indie teams (sometimes only 2 or 3 people big) can really create a game that's as deep as the majority of full price titles? Maybe in your opinion it is, but to most people it's not even close.

No Man's Sky and Hellblade. Both devs have no more than 20ish people making the game.

Apathy

Oh get off your high horse and relax. Indie games are clearly on a smaller scale than AAA titles . I enjoy a fair amount of indie games, but a lot of the time they're time killers or they're less story driven, or they're shorter, etc. Yeah they have plenty of "content", spelunky is endlessly replayable... however spelunky has a difficult learning curve and realistically only has a handful of levels, not a lot of people are into arcade style high score games. Dust was a nice hack and slash, but let's not pretend it's DMC or GOW. Outlast was a nice little thriller, but in no way does it have the longevity of a survival horror game like resident evil or evil within.

edit edit- also sorry for the DP.

I need to introduce you to Star Citizen

vin-buc

No. A game is a game is a game is a fucking game. It doesn't matter if it meets your arbitrary AAA criteria, a good game will be a good game regardless of budget and graphics. This month we know that we're getting two great games for PS4. If you can't enjoy them because of your own personal graphical hangups, then that shit is on you.

And stop that shit with real gamers and accusing other people of being obnoxious. You're being almost impressively obtuse.

People need to seriously take it easy. People come into a game forum to express their opinions on games.not everyone has the same opinion and tastes - is that hard to accept?

And yes obnoxious posts are obnoxious when they belittle peoples views when they go against their own.

"We know we're getting 2 great games this month." Really? Who is "we"? Because there are ALOT of unhappy people here. It seems like " we" is the "we" in your reality - not everyone else's.

Lastly, LoL - "impressively obtuse" what is that? You sound like someone trying to hard to use vocabulary. Im sure you're smart.....ok?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No Man's Sky and Hellblade. Both devs have no more than 20ish people making the game.

you named two games that have yet to come out. One of them is developed by a former AAA studio that they claim to be "AAA indie". I'm not saying they flat out don't exist, however you named 2 titles total so far, and again neither are out.

I need to introduce you to Star Citizen

correct me if this is wrong, but wiki says the game got 58 million in terms of crowdfunding. Maybe the team is small, but the budget seems pretty damn high.

Please do link me to the humble bundle that included Don't Starve because you seem to have access to some special humble bundles that never happened at all.

All of those were this year. (also Tomb Raider and Remember me). The mandatory for online was already up for a few months before that.

Yeah and that's why I said a few months ago, but it's steadily declined as they seem to be phasing it out. Also I didn't mean to say it's definitely been in a humble bundle (i don't follow it that closely), but games like that are very often found in a humble bundle type deal. Also according to steam, it's gone as low as 3.75, which is only a hair under psplus sub if you buy the 1 year card, but it's still cheaper and I have a choice.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The problem isn't people wanting Bioshock Infinite over Spelunky, it's people wanting Knack over Spelunky.

Opinions right? How do you not get that a beat em' up platformer, with great visuals, and a linear narrative is far different from a scorefest? I love spelunky, but that game is DEFINITELY not for everyone.

Apathy

you named two games that have yet to come out. One of them is developed by a former AAA studio that they claim to be "AAA indie". I'm not saying they flat out don't exist, however you named 2 titles total so far, and again neither are out.

correct me if this is wrong, but wiki says the game got 58 million in terms of crowdfunding. Maybe the team is small, but the budget seems pretty damn high.

Yeah and that's why I said a few months ago, but it's steadily declined as they seem to be phasing it out. Also I didn't mean to say it's definitely been in a humble bundle (i don't follow it that closely), but games like that are very often found in a humble bundle type deal. Also according to steam, it's gone as low as 3.75, which is only a hair under psplus sub if you buy the 1 year card, but it's still cheaper and I have a choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Humble_Bundles

Also are you trying to say that because Star Citizen has a large budget it is not an indie game?

down 2 orth

vin-buc

Opinions right? How do you not get that a beat em' up platformer, with great visuals, and a linear narrative is far different from a scorefest? I love spelunky, but that game is DEFINITELY not for everyone.

I said it earlier - I'd rather play Knack. I tried spelunky and I'll put it nicely - definitely not for me. In fact - I can't understand how anyone would want to play it. But people have different tastes - and I appreciate that.

Its time budgeting. Games are vying for consumers' time. Too many games not enough time so its up to the person who will be spending their time to decide what they want to spend their time on.

In terms of the the PS+ service - Sony's statement was to not expect AAA games in November and NOT ever. I listed all the games that were released for the PS4 since launch and there are some really good titles. For people who may not have had plus since the ps3 days - they may be let down but what they may have heard in terms of free games. For players complaining about ps4...you pay so do you but I would say be a bit patient and let the system mature.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Humble_Bundles

Also are you trying to say that because Star Citizen has a large budget it is not an indie game?

No I'm saying there is a discernible difference between what is "indie" and what's perceived as an "indie game". In these cases the indie stuff we're getting are typically these smaller budget smaller team studios putting out a smaller scale game. Games like spelunky, pix the cat, dont starve, etc. are either rogue like or high scoring games. A AAA studio could make a game that would appear "indie" or an indie studio could make what could appear "AAA", in this case the games we are getting are what are perceived to be indie games, and for good reason. Star citizen having a huge budget seperates it from the majority of smaller indie games out there. It gives them more tools, more resources, and a larger team than say Fez or Braid.

Another thing to add to the indie vs. AAA is that I don't really think every game has to be AAA perse, we just want games that would generally be retail or full price. It's not hard to understand why a game like spelunky would be a downloadable title vs. a game like Knack would be retail. I don't think Knack really should qualify as AAA since it was a mediocre game, and as Cerny himself said, was more of a "second purchase". That being said it has all the production values of a retail full priced game. Getting rogue likes, arena based, retro graphics, etc. is not what people were looking for with psplus. The free games were like that when plus first came out. I don't remember it exactly but I know the simpsons was on there, rock of ages, ps1 classics, sideways newyork, hamsterball or whatever it was called. A bunch of smaller scale downloadable games. Sony responded and promised to improve that selection, and they knocked it out of the park. They've regressed in a MASSIVE way over the past few months, and the ps4 releases have been horrendous. Honestly I expected that given the light selection of games to start, but cmon we're at a point now where some of the games from last year could be free now. Knack could be free, DC was supposed to be free, but got delayed until who knows when, KZ:SF could be free, COD ghosts could be free, NFS could be free, etc. These are the type of games they were typically releasing for a while (better quality, but similar scale)

vin-buc

I don't think we should expect any EA games on plus any longer. I know there deal/service is with msft but there's a possible conflict of business interest there - EA Access.

-PXG-

"If that shit ain't in a box, we don't want it™"

- NeoGAF

Never change. The assbackwardness never ends here. Gotta love it.

Everyone secretly wants to play Knack, but don't wanna admit it. Just buy the damn game used or rent it and call it a day. Shit.

Apathy

No I'm saying there is a discernible difference between what is "indie" and what's perceived as an "indie game". In these cases the indie stuff we're getting are typically these smaller budget smaller team studios putting out a smaller scale game. Games like spelunky, pix the cat, dont starve, etc. are either rogue like or high scoring games. A AAA studio could make a game that would appear "indie" or an indie studio could make what could appear "AAA", in this case the games we are getting are what are perceived to be indie games, and for good reason. Star citizen having a huge budget seperates it from the majority of smaller indie games out there. It gives them more tools, more resources, and a larger team than say Fez or Braid.

Another thing to add to the indie vs. AAA is that I don't really think every game has to be AAA perse, we just want games that would generally be retail or full price. It's not hard to understand why a game like spelunky would be a downloadable title vs. a game like Knack would be retail. I don't think Knack really should qualify as AAA since it was a mediocre game, and as Cerny himself said, was more of a "second purchase". That being said it has all the production values of a retail full priced game. Getting rogue likes, arena based, retro graphics, etc. is not what people were looking for with psplus. The free games were like that when plus first came out. I don't remember it exactly but I know the simpsons was on there, rock of ages, ps1 classics, sideways newyork, hamsterball or whatever it was called. A bunch of smaller scale downloadable games. Sony responded and promised to improve that selection, and they knocked it out of the park. They've regressed in a MASSIVE way over the past few months, and the ps4 releases have been horrendous. Honestly I expected that given the light selection of games to start, but cmon we're at a point now where some of the games from last year could be free now. Knack could be free, DC was supposed to be free, but got delayed until who knows when, KZ:SF could be free, COD ghosts could be free, NFS could be free, etc. These are the type of games they were typically releasing for a while (better quality, but similar scale)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AguesZ0CXzHLdFdnMl9XYmJvSUlzLUFlTlRjNFk2YUE#gid=0 - NA PS Plus list from the start
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZnEtNkxrSGN1OVA0Q0k5NVcwWkE&usp=sharing#gid=0 - EU PS Plus list from the start

Both gotten from this thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614511

I mentioned it earlier but it might have gotten hidden by a lot of arguing, it took PS Plus a year and a half (exactly) before it got it's first retail game (It was Tomb Raider Underworld). It was a 4 year old game by the time it was on PS Plus. Before that it was all PSN games, Minis and PSOne classics. We have not even gotten to a year yet (almost) on this console and people expect full AAA games. Frankly there are not that many to put up yet, and aside from Sony published games, we don't know if those publishers want their games on PS Plus (they might still think they can squeeze some extra full price sales out before thinking of getting the money Sony offers for the PS+ addition). In the games we've gotten, there has been a wide range of genres and aesthetics from the games from something like Mercenary Kings, to Outlast to Dust, to BoI and Spelunky and the rest.

USC-fan

Banned

- NeoGAF

Everyone secretly wants to play Knack, but don't wanna admit it. Just buy the damn game used or rent it and call it a day. Shit.

No no no...no ones want to play knack.they just want it to be on Ps+ so they can say they were right to pass on knack because it will be a Ps+ game.

Apathy

No no no...no ones want to play knack.they just want it to be on Ps+ so they can say they were right to pass on knack because it will be a Ps+ game.

Gotta sub to this thread just to see the posts when the first PS Plus retail game hits and it's something like Bound by Flame or NBA 14 or something else that is mediocre at best.

MUnited83

For you.

Ghosts and NFS? Lol, no they couldn't. Activision and EA wouldn't ever agree to it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AguesZ0CXzHLdFdnMl9XYmJvSUlzLUFlTlRjNFk2YUE#gid=0 - NA PS Plus list from the start
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ZnEtNkxrSGN1OVA0Q0k5NVcwWkE&usp=sharing#gid=0 - EU PS Plus list from the start

Both gotten from this thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614511

I mentioned it earlier but it might have gotten hidden by a lot of arguing, it took PS Plus a year and a half (exactly) before it got it's first retail game (It was Tomb Raider Underworld). It was a 4 year old game by the time it was on PS Plus. Before that it was all PSN games, Minis and PSOne classics. We have not even gotten to a year yet (almost) on this console and people expect full AAA games. Frankly there are not that many to put up yet, and aside from Sony published games, we don't know if those publishers want their games on PS Plus (they might still think they can squeeze some extra full price sales out before thinking of getting the money Sony offers for the PS+ addition). In the games we've gotten, there has been a wide range of genres and aesthetics from the games from something like Mercenary Kings, to Outlast to Dust, to BoI and Spelunky and the rest.

I mentioned this exact thing above... but the difference is people were complaining back then and they were not forced to subscribe in order to play regular games online. Sony addressed this at e3 and promised to improve the qualitiy of releases, and from that point forward plus continued to improve. Pretty much the entire year of 2013 was ridiculous.

Ghosts and NFS? Lol, no they couldn't. Activision and EA wouldn't ever agree to it.

Maybe not those exact games, however plenty of very large scale games have been released on plus. Hell EA let battlefield 3 on plus, why not NFS? How about Rayman legends or thief? Maybe tomb raider ps4.

Ketch

So are binding of isaac, luftrausers, and steamworld dig all gonna be available on vita ps+?

or just escape plan and that other game?

Apathy

I mentioned this exact thing above... but the difference is people were complaining back then and they were not forced to subscribe in order to play regular games online. Sony addressed this at e3 and promised to improve the qualitiy of releases, and from that point forward plus continued to improve. Pretty much the entire year of 2013 was ridiculous.

Maybe not those exact games, however plenty of very large scale games have been released on plus. Hell EA let battlefield 3 on plus, why not NFS? How about Rayman legends or thief? Maybe tomb raider ps4.

But again, back then we subscribed because of the games. Now we subscribe because of the need to play online and the games are a bonus not the other way around (if we're talking about ps4 ps plus). The money now is supposed to go to keeping those servers up (and the fact they have trouble is a matter all it's own so I won't go into that) first since they made it abundantly clear we need to pay to online play on the ps4. And again, the game publishers might still not want their games on plus because they might be able to squeeze maximum profit from those games since pickings on next gem are still relatively sparse.

An extreme example to demonstrate. In a ecosystem where you have 100 fps games, and your new version of your FPS franchise is about to come out soon, you want to build hype, ok, put it on plus, we are not selling as much right now with the competition so what we can get from plus, even at a lower amount, will be made up by the amount of times it gets downloaded.

Now in an ecosystem where you are one of literally 5 FPS games, with your next version of your game a long long long way away, on a platform that continues to get new users at a quick pace, you are more likely to snag those new users at full price.

This can be said about any genre game, I just had Battlefield on my mind when I wrote it. But there is a clear difference on why (a possible theory) these games are not given out as plus games yet.

As for CoD, Activision won't give that up, and now with the EA vault thing (even though it's not available to Playstation users) I would be surprised if EA games show up as plus games ever again.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
It seems some people are missing the bigger picture. Sony is invested in building a community and a platform where smaller developers can make a living and interact with their consumers. They want and need the next Minecraft. That is why No Man's Sky is so important to them. Offering "indies" on PS+ help ensure that developers can make a living without the fear of being drowned by the AAA industrial complex's PR machine telling you that you need their games to justify your lifestyle. This is good for the industry both short and long term. Offering AAA and give EA and Activision even more money we're harming it.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
But again, back then we subscribed because of the games. Now we subscribe because of the need to play online and the games are a bonus not the other way around (if we're talking about ps4 ps plus). The money now is supposed to go to keeping those servers up (and the fact they have trouble is a matter all it's own so I won't go into that) first since they made it abundantly clear we need to pay to online play on the ps4. And again, the game publishers might still not want their games on plus because they might be able to squeeze maximum profit from those games since pickings on next gem are still relatively sparse.

An extreme example to demonstrate. In a ecosystem where you have 100 fps games, and your new version of your FPS franchise is about to come out soon, you want to build hype, ok, put it on plus, we are not selling as much right now with the competition so what we can get from plus, even at a lower amount, will be made up by the amount of times it gets downloaded.

Now in an ecosystem where you are one of literally 5 FPS games, with your next version of your game a long long long way away, on a platform that continues to get new users at a quick pace, you are more likely to snag those new users at full price.

This can be said about any genre game, I just had Battlefield on my mind when I wrote it. But there is a clear difference on why (a possible theory) these games are not given out as plus games yet.

As for CoD, Activision won't give that up, and now with the EA vault thing (even though it's not available to Playstation users) I would be surprised if EA games show up as plus games ever again.

Yeah well I don't know where the money is going, but the online has really not improved at all. In fact I never had problems with the psn on ps3, but ps4 has had seveal issues.

bronk

Banned
Steamworld Dig is fantastic! I adore that game. Bought it on a whim knowing nothing of it. Im happy so many people get to try it. So charming. Also am I only person that is super happy on the ps+ games? Nothing but fun.

Bastos

These are the free games? I know I sound like an ingrate, but there's nothing there that I want to play. Haven't played any of those, not interested in trying.
The Binding of Isaac, man. Please, do yourself a favor and play this game.

meanspartan

So now even Ps3 is getting indies only?

Yup, bait and switch complete. PS Plus now effectively mandatory (unless you never wanna play online) so why keep forking out cash for AAA huh Sony?

As a Ps4 only owner (well, also PC), I hope Xbox One starts performing stronger because Sony in comfortable 1st place is not good for us apparently.

I made it clear in the thread I started about this topic but I'll say it again here too. I have nothing personally against indies and don't even want them gone from Plus. But I want AAA too or it feels like a rip off. 1 indie and one AAA a month would be great. Instead, even my old console is getting Plus nerfed.

EloKa

I'm really happy with that line up.
Played BOI several hours on PC and really had fun with it, now I get the Rebirth version for ps4/vita. Also heard only good things of Steamworld Dig. As a PS4/Vita owner this month is pretty much amazing.

It only makes me sad that some people value a game only by its graphics budget and do not care about the gameplay. Yaaay graphics! booooooh gameplay!

Give Binding of Isaac 3 chances because during the first 2 runs you won't have an idea what you're actually doing

repeater

Isn't it weird that there hasn't been an official blog post on either the US or EU blog about next month's offerings? Usually they do both a video and a blog post.

Ladekabel

Looking forward to Isaac: Rebirth. Couldn't get into the PC version as much as I liked due to KB and joy2key didn't give me good feel. As long as the teased Wii U version isn't coming I'll play it on my Vita. Don't see me spending my time playing this on my PS4.

Luftrausers has been on my watchlist for quite some time. I will check it out.

And everyone should look into SteamWorld Dig.

Not interested in the others.

meanspartan

No, PS+ is what you pay for to play online, no different than XBL Gold. These free games are just bonuses they give you without raising the price of the subscription.

What a bunch of horseshit. PS Plus started, quite clearly, as a games service for subscribers. And I was assured not to worry when it became mandatory, because it was such good value. Now they get my $50 a year while handing me indies I usually don't play for a fraction of the price of AAA.

meanspartan

- NeoGAF

I admit it, I made a thread with that literally being the title. As I made clear, I'd much prefer something better like AC4 or Infamous, but ya, I'd take Knack over quirky 2d platformer #337.

And you also know then it's not up to Sony on their own to say what games get put on PS Plus. Deals are made, and if publishers of AAA games don't want those games on Plus, then there is nothing that can be done. Lets say then can get a AAA game that's from 2009 on PS3 or a brand new going to be released this month indie game. Think not from your stand point but from the standpoint of most consumers. You present them with two options, Old vs New, what would the majority take? I'm not saying this is what's being done, but it's a possibility.

Hell you might be right, and Sony is pocketing our money and going to indies and putting their games on plus because it would cost them less than even an old AAA game. That being said, most people in this thread are quite happy with a newer indie game than a old AAA game. To say they are doing a bad job, not really. Saves me and many other people $15-60 dollars per month on games I was going to get anyway but I got them for subscribing on release date, thats amazing service.

Personally I'd rather an old game thank you. Even if I own it, having a digital copy is more than a big enough benefit.

As for the other stuff, How is that my problem as a consumer exactly? If I subscribe to netflix for a year and pay in advance, then the film studios decide to create their own services (actually not far from the truth), limiting netflix to student projects and bollywood films, am I not to complian? Should I not unsubscribe from the service?

There are plenty people who would be happy to have a wide selection of Bollywood or smaller independant films rather than blockbusters, but that is not the quailty of service that people once had.

At the end of the day, there is nothing in this months list that i would even buy in a humble bundle. Last month there was only one or two games, the month before nothi9ng, the month before that....

Compared to a year ago, when I bought 18 months outright, there were multiple. Hell, a bad month was 2 games i didnt want to play.

I don't understand why people here are so insistant people who do not like the change in dynamics are some kind of heathens.

It seems some people are missing the bigger picture. Sony is invested in building a community and a platform where smaller developers can make a living and interact with their consumers. They want and need the next Minecraft. That is why No Man's Sky is so important to them. Offering "indies" on PS+ help ensure that developers can make a living without the fear of being drowned by the AAA industrial complex's PR machine telling you that you need their games to justify your lifestyle. This is good for the industry both short and long term. Offering AAA and give EA and Activision even more money we're harming it.

Again, I don't see why that needs to involve plus. XBLA didn't get as big as it did because Microsoft gave theses games for free. The good ones stood on their own.

Besides, wouldn't it be far more effective to provide significant PS+ discounts for these indie titles every month? Like Sony was doing for a while?

Top Bottom