• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 PS+ Games - BOI, Steamworld Dig, Frozen Syn, Luftrausers, Escape Plan

Boss Mog

So not only are we still not getting a retail PS4 game yet (god knows Killzone could use the influx of players for online play) but now not even a retail PS3 game. I know on GAF people seem to really love the indie games but sadly for me they don't do much.

I'm excited for BOI like most everyone else, but what I REALLY want to know is if I get Frozen Synapse on Vita too?!?!! That would make this month stellar for me!!

ImboSlice

Love the lineup. I kind of understand the want for AAA games on PS Plus. But not giving the indies, that are being offered, any chance because of this want... that's not fair.

Suzzopher

I.....wut.....What am I even reading? Do people not even try the games that are available to them?

Sadly not, my brother thinks the same as a lot of people. I'm the good brother who loves good games no matter the budget, he's the evil AAA or bust brother :(

theDeeDubs

Nothing in there for me. I'm subbed for at least another year and a half so I can't really do much about it now. This is all just based on my taste as I don't seem to like very many of the indie games coming out. Getting Fez and Spelunky was nice though. I have also been looking forward to trying out that Ponchos game. I figured Sony would throw in Knack at some point just to quell some of the unrest over their offerings. Maybe December.

Sweet looking forward to practically all of these.

I get why people could be mad, but its still hilarious.

In celebration of VC for PC, i'll just leave this here
bW0lqsq.jpg

Arttemis

Sweet lineup! Binding of Isaac is a truly awesome game! Oh shit, Luftrausers, too!??!?! Hype!

Whoa, just checked out Frozen Synapse. Damn, this game looks great!

Robot Pants

Boss★Moogle;136632214 said:
So not only are we still not getting a retail PS4 game yet (god knows Killzone could use the influx of players for online play) but now not even a retail PS3 game. I know on GAF people seem to really love the indie games but sadly for me they don't do much.
Killzone would have been perfect for this month. Seeing as how driveclub is still a mess

UglyPony

Wish they would fix the trophies for luftrausers. But the game has pretty much been abandoned. Even though i was hoping for any tripple A goodness for any of the 3 platforms, i cant wait for BOI: rebirth.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You jumped into the argument and didn't even bother to read it. The games they are giving are much smaller scale, point fest, type games. People want a game they can sink their teeth into, not time killers or extreme skill based type games. Knack isn't a great game by any stretch, but it has a campaign mode with a story that has production values. It has a linear story with a good length of gameplay and collectables. There is an inherent difference between indies and retails.
How about Dust then? That's a fairly lengthy game and is not what I would call extreme skill based. Lots of side quests as well. The production values are also pretty good I'd say. Quality game too. But that wasn't good enough either was it? People dismissed that game too.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I really didn't know so many people are willing to pretend it really is an open question whether the majority of Plus owners would honestly be torn between a AAA and almost any indie. Maybe if you got one of the best, most well known indies and put it against Knack it'd be close. But a decentish indie vs a decentish AAA, on the planet I live on, I think the AAA would easily win out in regards to what people want.

Your argument is ignoring the feasibility of offering highly rated and popular AAA games. Would the majority of people prefer to receive an excellent AAA than a couple of decent indies? Of course. Is that financially possible? No. The publisher of a multi-million selling AAA game has no reason to make a PS+ deal and Sony isn't going to break the bank to entice them to do so.

There were a handful of AAA on PS3 last year, but that was clearly an exception. The sweet spot, from a business perspective, is to secure smaller budget games with moderate sales expectations, and hope that people like them well enough.

So so month for me.
- Still no Driveclub PS+
- Steamworld Dig I have on 3DS, might be cool to play it on the big screen but I already have it.
- Might give BOI a chance
- The PS3 offering rates well on MC but it does not click with me.

Will go back to Wipeout HD.

Apathy

Im still on two 8GB cards......

omg, quick, we need to have a telethon for sn00zer to get him the help he so desperately needs. Someone tilt a camera sideways slowly, turn it black and white and put it to "I Will Remember You" stat. Sn00zer, just act sad.

D_Generate87

Neo Member
Binding of Isaac metacritic for its original version is 30 points higher than knack, and people are seriously askin for knack instead if it? LOL

meanspartan

Your argument is ignoring the feasibility of offering highly rated and popular AAA games. Would the majority of people prefer to receive an excellent AAA than a couple of decent indies? Of course. Is that financially possible? No. The publisher of a multi-million selling AAA game has no reason to make a PS+ deal and Sony isn't going to break the bank to entice them to do so.

There were a handful of AAA on PS3 last year, but that was clearly an exception. The sweet spot, from a business perspective, is to secure smaller budget games with moderate sales expectations, and hope that people like them well enough.

It kind of seemed like every month of 2013 had at least one AAA on Ps3 Plus, sometimes two. Doesn't seem like an exception to me, it seems like that was the general trend.

Binding of Isaac metacritic for its original version is 30 points higher than knack, and people are seriously askin for knack instead if it? LOL

And the original had horrible problems with performance and many, many game braking bugs due to it being programmed in flash. The developer couldn't even update it anymore, but it is such a good game that the game still got great scores. I wonder what rebirth's reviews are going to look like now that they've started from scratch with the engine, added a bunch of extra content and secrets, and made the game even more difficult.

Apathy

And the original had horrible problems with performance and many, many game braking bugs due to it being programmed in flash. The developer couldn't even update it anymore, but it is such a good game that the game still got great scores. I wonder what rebirth's reviews are going to look like now that they've started from scratch with the engine, added a bunch of extra content and secrets, and made the game even more difficult.

I'm more excited of all the new items and possible combos, going to be so much fun

Yeah but Knack is $30 higher in price so obviously that would be the better choice right?

Though it sounds like you are being sarcastic, I'll answer this question seriously.

Only if Knack is worth playing. What if they offered us a $60 game that has been universally panned and a MC rating of 15 vs a game like Towerfall that has been universally praised, which would be the better choice? People here would say the bad, $60 game because it is "better value" or some shit. We should be asking for high quality games, which is exactly what Sony is putting in the IGC, not bad games on principle. Not only that, we are getting these great games day one of release, not months later.

Though it sounds like you are being sarcastic, I'll answer this question seriously.

Only if Knack is worth playing. What if they offered us a $60 game that has been universally panned and a MC rating of 15 vs a game like Towerfall that has been universally praised, which would be the better choice? People here would say the bad, $60 game because it is "better value" or some shit. We should be asking for high quality games, which is exactly what Sony is putting in the IGC, not bad games on principle. Not only that, we are getting these great games day one of release, not months later.

I was being sarcastic, I agree with you wholeheartedly. Regardless of whether these games we've been getting interest you or not, we are getting newer and highly rated games, and developers are getting great exposure on a new platform which should only ensure more games coming to ps4 in the future. I do think AAA games will come to ps4 ps+ eventually when they make business sense both for publishers and sony and right now only about a year into it's life cycle, that just doesn't seem to make much sense. The only game that would seem to make any sense to me being added to ps+ right now is ACIV to promote Unity, but since there are two assassins creed games coming this holiday, having a third through ps+ would probably have been overdoing it. Knack doesn't make sense to give away right now, because Sony wants us to buy LBP3. And with black friday right around the corner and good deals to be had on many games that have been released in the last year, there just isn't enough incentive for publishers to be giving away their games just yet. I think the same timeline as ps3 is most likely, with the first AAA games appearing on ps4+ no sooner than 18 months from launch in the slower parts of the year.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
This has been addressed so many times in this thread and others. The thinking that there is some fundamental difference between retails and indies is just toxic though.

I just only hope that we never start getting games like Knack over games like Binding of Isaac (which is the definition of a game that I 'could sink my teeth into').

I don't think you can associate upvotes on comments as some sort of objective barometer for games satisfaction.

No it's not, binding of isaac I've played and enjoyed and a few things about that. Binding of isaac does not have the same production as a game like knack. There is no use arguing this, if you don't understand that I don't know what to say. Do you believe it's a coincidence people are upset about it? Do you consider yourself above that and more enlightened to how great indies are? Also binding of isaac could be had as part of a humble bundle for 90 cents. Yes this is a new version with new features, but fundamentally it's the same game.

Binding of Isaac has the reputation of being an indie game you can sink your teeth into. Check any thread it is mentioned in, and you'll find people talking about the hundreds of hours they've poured into that game. This "I need a game I can sink my teeth into" shows that you have a warped attitude of perceived value, and says more about you than it does about indies or AAA.

Edit, for example:

I love reading this.

I get you can put hundreds of hours into a game. People can put hundreds of hours into pacman, pong, tetris, don't starve, spelunky, donkey kong, etc. it does not put it on the same scale as a game like say knack or uncharted. Again if you don't understand that, then there is really nothing I can say to help you understand.

How about Dust then? That's a fairly lengthy game and is not what I would call extreme skill based. Lots of side quests as well. The production values are also pretty good I'd say. Quality game too. But that wasn't good enough either was it? People dismissed that game too.

If you read my comments Dust was one of the few games I thought was a good toss in. A game of that style should be at the very least the 2nd option on a month. Making it the first option is borderline, but it's passable. That being said I platinumed that game in a matter of hours, and it still doesn't have the production that a game like knack has. I prefer dust to knack, but it's easy to understand why people want a game LIKE knack.

One thing you guys are getting hung up on is the game in question- KNAcK. Just replace knack with killzone or a game of the like. Again I don't know how to explain this any better, but there is an inherent difference between smaller indie games (or even the bigger ones), than retail releases.

I get you can put hundreds of hours into a game. People can put hundreds of hours into pacman, pong, tetris, don't starve, spelunky, donkey kong, etc. it does not put it on the same scale as a game like say knack or uncharted. Again if you don't understand that, then there is really nothing I can say to help you understand.

Comparing Don't Starve and Spelunky to PacMan... That's pretty funny.

Again, we aren't talking about Uncharted; of course we want uncharted. Uncharted is as universally praised as the indie games we've listed are, and it's a typically more expensive game. But if you are arguing you want a mediocre game like Knack over Spelunky or Don't Starve, because of perceved, inherent positives like "the game has a larger scale/scope," then you are talking about a very shallow view of games and your argument has obvious flaws.

Know what game would fit your bill? Ryse, another universally panned game, but as a gamer, it should be offensive for you to say "I'd rather get Ryse than BoI" because one is a clearly better game than the other. You are shouting for mediocre games on principle and ignoring the quality games Sony is chooses because they aren't "of the same scale" or whatever vague bullshit you think justifies your opinion.

If it means getting awesome indie games forever and never seeing knack, I'm more than happy with that and, as a gamer who I assume enjoys quality games, so should you.

Looks like Xbone got Volgarr the Viking; so it doesn't seem to be PS4 specific in their choice to promote good indie games over bad AAA for their subscription games.

Awesome US selection this month. Any word on when the EU selection will be confirmed?

Also, which of those games run on Vita, are Binding of Isaac and Frozen Synapse crossplay or not?

It's going to the point where all the good indie games end up on PS+ pretty quickly. It does mean I try to avoid buying them at launch, but hey, I'm alright with that.
I just got an email for EU, had Binding, Frozen and Horde in it.

Odd they've sent the email and accidentally leaked the video but still no blog post...

prwxv3

You jumped into the argument and didn't even bother to read it. The games they are giving are much smaller scale, point fest, type games. People want a game they can sink their teeth into, not time killers or extreme skill based type games. Knack isn't a great game by any stretch, but it has a campaign mode with a story that has production values. It has a linear story with a good length of gameplay and collectables. There is an inherent difference between indies and retails.

Sorry bro but this is not a very good argument. There are a bunch on indie games with more content then many AAA games. Budget does not equel content.

Top Bottom