• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

WWE putting up full matches on their Youtube is the best thing they've ever done.

It's replaced Netflix on my "turn shit on in the background" deal. so good.

What's your method for watching YouTube on TV?

I used an Xbox 360 but I traded that in at Best Buy thinking I can just make due with my Laptop but it's just not the same.

I'm thinking of getting a Chromecast, anyone here use these? Would I be able to just play all the latest uploads in My Subscriptions without having to constantly fiddle with my phone to select the next video?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Grab a Chromecast BB. Start making a playlist today. Queue it up, watch it go. My wrestling watching has increased 500% because it's easy to put on.

strobogo

Banned
WCW 1999 is three completely different promotions in January, June, and December. 100%, totally different presentations.

Very much so. It's really bizarre. I can't think of a promotion that had 3 distinct presentations and booking styles in the same year. WCW in December of 1999 is completely unrecognizable from the shows in January-April. Then the Summer months feel like USWA level shit. Russo comes in and tries to do WWF style both in the ring and out, which most of the WCW crew has little to no experience with and it shows.

What's your method for watching YouTube on TV?

I used an Xbox 360 but I traded that in at Best Buy thinking I can just make due with my Laptop but it's just not the same.

I'm thinking of getting a Chromecast, anyone here use these? Would I be able to just play all the latest uploads in My Subscriptions without having to constantly fiddle with my phone to select the next video?

Chromecast is what I use too. It's goddamn aces.

Not sure if My Subscriptions works, but any playlist you make will. Or any channel one.

Hey, we've got fans of women's wrestling here, right? Well, check this shit out;

SENDAI Girls, "SUPER GENERATION STRUGGLE", 2013.10.17
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,200 Fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGVfRu2p1Y

VETERANS vs NEW GENERATION - 8 vs 8 ELIMINATION MATCH:

Aja Kong, Dump Matsumoto, Dynamite Kansai, Kyoko Inoue, Manami Toyota, Meiko Satomura, Command Bolshoi & Takako Inoue vs Shuri, Yoshiko, Hikaru Shida, Kagetsu, Yuhi, Sareee, Manami Katsu & Takumi Iroha

This match is a whole lot of fun, with some of the biggest names in joshi wrestling from the 90's taking on the younger generation of talent from today's world of joshi wrestling. It's an 8 vs 8 singles match format, so it does go on for quite some time as you'd expect, but seriously; if you're a fan of women's wrestling, watch this. Or don't, whatever.

That was excellent. God, I really want to watch more of these but they're always so hard to find. Thanks for posting it.

That was excellent. God, I really want to watch more of these but they're always so hard to find. Thanks for posting it.

No problem, I was proper excited when I saw it pop up for download - we get so few joshi shows making their way outside of Japan these days, I can't say I really 'follow' any of the promotions, as I only ever see the occasional event available. Real shame.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, we've got fans of women's wrestling here, right? Well, check this shit out;

SENDAI Girls, "SUPER GENERATION STRUGGLE", 2013.10.17
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,200 Fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGVfRu2p1Y

VETERANS vs NEW GENERATION - 8 vs 8 ELIMINATION MATCH:

Aja Kong, Dump Matsumoto, Dynamite Kansai, Kyoko Inoue, Manami Toyota, Meiko Satomura, Command Bolshoi & Takako Inoue vs Shuri, Yoshiko, Hikaru Shida, Kagetsu, Yuhi, Sareee, Manami Katsu & Takumi Iroha

This match is a whole lot of fun, with some of the biggest names in joshi wrestling from the 90's taking on the younger generation of talent from today's world of joshi wrestling. It's an 8 vs 8 singles match format, so it does go on for quite some time as you'd expect, but seriously; if you're a fan of women's wrestling, watch this. Or don't, whatever.

Keep this in mind for the women's wrasslin thread...

strobogo

Banned
I think the women wrasslin thread should be focused on the duality of how women wrestling is treated in the US vs everywhere else. In the US, it's stuff like Russo hiring large women just to make fun of them, having women sexually assaulted in the ring with no reaction, women literally fucking their way into title matches, multiple male vs female matches every show, Vince making Trish bark like a dog in her underwear, cheating on his comatose wife, having a widow of a beloved superstar be a major heel and made fun of for being fat and ugly for years, most angles being about appearances or men, and just the general lack of respect shown for any talented wrestlers.

In other countries, the women wrestlers are legit wrestlers who can fuck up the men and are popular enough to have their own dedicated promotions that at one time were out drawing the men's promotions.

Alucard

Banned
I'm watching Zayn/Neville for the third time today. One of my favourite matches from this year, easily. It's really impressively paced.

They start off just feeling each other out with wrist locks, rolls, mat flips, and arm drags. Both men look totally fresh and look at each other with respect. The meat of the match starts with Neville flipping and landing on his feet after a back body drop attempt, and then Zayn doing a 360 forward dive to the outside. From there, the acrobatics continue for a time, but they start using strikes, chops, and kicks. The intensity picks up with the impact of the moves, as we start seeing power slams, a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker, and a couple of awesome-looking powerbombs by Zayn. The final stretch all takes place in the corner after Zayn runs into a stiff boot from Neville. You see that he's clearly affected by the kick, and Neville continues targetting his head, as both men look exhausted, all building to the climax of Neville head-butting Zayn off the top rope, which Zayn sells beautifully, and then Neville hits his finisher for the victory.

So beautiful. Seriously, wrestlers need to dissect this match to learn about building and pacing a match.

strobogo

Banned
I think the best part of Vickie's wrestling career was at WM when the crowd went from booing the shit out of her to cheering and chanting Eddie for her frog splash, and then went right back into booing the shit out of her.

Frankman doesn't do that, he just lets others do it for him and posts a gif that makes it look like he agrees. He's NeoGAF's Jennetty.
Janetty this

Ira-Newble-does-a-spinning-kick-on-Mike-Dunleavy-Jr.jpg

and that's a jpg, you jerk!

I think the best part of Vickie's wrestling career was at WM when the crowd went from booing the shit out of her to cheering and chanting Eddie for her frog splash, and then went right back into booing the shit out of her.

Wrestling wise? Definitely. Such a good moment.

But managing wise, probably one of the best ever, and I'm not exaggerating. NUCLEAR HEAT MISSILE. Astounding and totally unexpected.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Monday Nitro 12/13/99

This is 1 of 3 Nitros left. Feels good.

TO THE BACK. Jeff Jarrett and Chris Benoit are fighting. Benoit won the exchange.

TAFKAPI vs The Maestro

Fuck. Do we really need knock off Gorgeous George/Liberace vs a knock off Prince to start the show? My favorite thing about Stro's gimmick is that Symphony was just a woman who was getting gifts one week and we were supposed to know that she was with Stro, despite having not been on TV with him or having it explained by announcers. Both of these dudes suck. And they're both heels with stupid musical gimmicks. They should be a team instead of having a match that no one wants to see. Prince won with a roll up. Jeff Jarrett came out and hit both guys with guitars. I guess it makes sense since he was a country music superstar once upon a time. He challenges Benoit to a Bunkhouse Brawl tonight.

Tank Abbott returns to action against Meng. It's actually his debut as he never wrestled on TV when he showed up for a few shows earlier in the year. We'll also have Sid vs Dr. Death and Sting/DDP vs David Flair/Lex Luger.

TO THE BACK. Bret heads to the ring. Elsewhere, Nash is trying to get Hall for something. Elsewhere elsewhere, Madusa catches Evan flirting with Spice. Madusa attacked her and had to be held back by officials.

Bret Hart comes to the ring. He has infinite respect for Goldberg. He guarantees that Goldberg will not beat him at The WCW The Starrcade. This brings Goldberg out. He disagrees with Bret. The Outsiders come out. They want a tag title shot tonight.

TO THE BACK
. Gene stares at Madusa's tits and Madusa challenges Spice to a match. Elsewhere, Piper arrives in his limo with his young boy. BUT WHO WAS LIMO?!?! Why does this cunt always talk to himself and why does no one find it odd? Elsewhere elsewhere, Terry Taylor tells Lex about his match tonight. Elsewhere elsewhere elsewhere, someone delivers a package to David Flair.

Madusa vs Spice

Evan came out to calm things down. Madusa got into a fight with him. Spice shoved her into Evan and pinned her. The Nitro Girl who isn't a wrestler just pinned probably the most well known female wrestler in America after Moolah and has a Cruiserweight title shot at the biggest show (allegedly) of the year in 6 days. Madusa gave Evan a German suplex after the match.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE. Russo is talking to Curt Hennig when Rhonda Sing comes in. Russo won't talk to her until she gets an agent.

Duggan/Revolution video.

TO THE MEAN GENE.
Gene welcomes Jim Duggan. HOOOO! Tough guy! Duggan can't handle all the disrespect to America. He will defend America until his last breath. Except for when he joins Team Canada. As he's talking, the lights go out and static appears on the screens. As the lights flicker, Duggan was knocked out.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE.
Russo says something about the power of the remote control. Piper comes in. Russo says he's the ref of Hennig vs Buff and he needs to do the right thing.

TO THE BACK. Buff heads to the ring, also talking to himself. Why do all these guys talk to themselves? Elsewhere, Lex looks for Liz.

Curt Hennig vs Buff Bagwell Special Guest Referee: Roddy Piper

Piper says there will be no disqualifications in this match. Remember at the last PPV when these guys had a retirement match? Hennig lost. He's still wrestling. As for Buff, he seemed like he turned heel for a few weeks, but I think they gave up on it. Buzzkill comes out with a "Save the baby seals" sign. Piper fast counts Hennig. Creative Control were at the ramp.

TO THE BACK. Lex enters David's locker room. Elsewhere, Jeff Jarrett and Benoit head to the ring.

Jeff Jarret vs Chris Benoit Bunkhouse Brawl

We're getting pretty far into the match with no gifs. Hopefully this gives me a few. It starts in the aisle and quickly heads to the stage. Once it heads to the ring, they trade lariatoos. Jarrett baseball slides a ladder into Benoit. The ladder is used enough that it might as well be a ladder match. Jeff pulls Benoit off the ladder by his neck with a rope. Dustin Rhodes comes out and does a bionic elbow. He attempted the Shattered Dreams, but the ref wouldn't allow it. Instead, Jeff hit Dustin with a guitar at the same time as Dustin kicked him in the balls. Benoit went for the diving headbutt from the ladder. Jeff shoved Goldy into the ladder, sending Benoit to the mat. Jeff wins.

iIzXtFP5AM2e5.gif

im1UnB8GgsAkM.gif

TO THE BACK
. Lex talks to David Flair, who is rocking a headless teddy bear. Elsewhere, a Porsche arrives.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE. Piper is attacked by Russo's guys for not doing the right thing.

Tank Abbott vs Meng

They have a quick SHOOT brawl that ends in a double count out.

TO THE BACK
. Kanyon was in the Porsche with some broads.

TO THE BACK
. Piper was about to break into Russo's office, but was stopped by police. Elsewhere, Tnak and Meng are still fighting.

The Revolution vs Harlem Heat

The lights go out. IT'S SABU! Midnight is apparently now in this match. Actually, so is Asya. A lot of Revolution miscommunications. Shane got decked. Saturn did the Terry Funk teeter totter on the ropes spot. Midnight blows her knee out on a leap frog and Dean rolls Stevie up for the win. Stevie was mad at Midnight. That fucking YAK.

TO THE BACK. Tenay talks with David and Lex. Lex says that Liz can only manage him. Piper walks by hitting things with a chair and screaming. Elsewhere, Rhonda asks Mr. Biggs to be her agent. Chavo tries to sell her some dancing outfits. Elsewhere elsewhere, Tank and Meng are still brawling.

ienesGO0M0K9w.gif

TO THE BACK.
Paul Orndorrf arrives. TPTB asked him to come

Nitro Girls dance. This is the first time in weeks. Bertha Faye joins the group. You see, it's funny because she's fat.

i7Ds88RnBk3HE.gif

TO THE WOODS.
Finlay is still giving Knobs an IRA training.

TO THE BLOCK. Norman walks in and gets his ass kicked. Tank and Meng's brawl finds its way down there. Meng chases Norman off and Tank and Flynn throw punches.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE. Russo fires Orndorff because he trained Midnight. He tells Russo to kiss his ass. Russo then books him in a match against Creative Control.

TO THE BACK.
Goldberg drinks water. Elsewhere, Sid works out with Seth, who is a kid with Down's Syndrome. Seth is going to be Sid's coach tonight. Kid even got promo time. That's pretty cool.

Steve Williams vs Sid

This match is now a suplex vs powerbomb match. This Seth kid gets it. He's bowing up and slapping hands on the way out, while looking spiffy as fuck in a suit. Doc hit Sid with OK's boot. I hope Oklahoma bumps for Seth. Instead, Vamp and the Misfits came out. Vamp got lariatooood. Powerbomb to Doc. Sid wins. OK got chokeslammed after the match. The Outsiders hit the ring and attacked Sid. Nash powerbombed Sid. Nash has made Sid look like garbage for a month straight now. Sid hasn't got any kind of victory over Nash at all.

iN0O7NH2k3sy3.gif

TO THE BACK. Sid is checked out in the back. He appears to have a neck or brain injury. Elsewhere, Tenay talks with The Outsiders. The tag champs are next.

The Total Package/David Flair vs DDP/Sting

Tony actually brings up Sting vs Black Scorpion as a way of showing how big of a deal Starrcade is. Sting and David start out. Stinger Splash. DDP and Sting start fighting. More Stinger Splashes. Lex attacks Sting with David's crowbar. Liz grabs it to protect Sting. Lex then gets a chair. Liz puts herself on top of Sting. David hits Lex with a crowbar. Liz pulls Sting on top of Lex for the win. I guess this was no DQ.

TO THE BACK. Meng is looking for Norman. Elsewhere, Gene talks with Chris Champag Ne Kanyon. Bertha Faye arrives to ask Mr. Biggs what he thought of her dancing. He has security take her away. Bam Bam shows up to talk to Kanyon about going Hollywood. Biggs intercepts him. Kanyon attacks Bam Bam. Elsewhere elsewhere, Bret laces his boots.

Bam Bam Big Yellow vs Kanyon

One of the girls with Kanyon nearly falls on the ramp. I find it so strange that they talk about Kanyon being in Ready to Rumble, but won't talk about DDP being one of the stars. They wrote DDP off with an injury, but just said Kanyon was off doing the movie. Bam Bam dominates Kanyon. Kanyon hit the Flatliner, which was his only offensive move. It won. He also renamed the move to That's A Wrap. That's as shitty of a name for a finisher as The You're Welcome.

TO THE BACK
. Meng is still looking for Norman. Norman was hiding. Elsewhere, The Mamalukes are going to kill Disco tonight. Elsewhere elsewhere, Piper continues to talk to himself.

Lash LeRoux vs Big Vito Body bag Match

Yes, Undertaker's original gimmick match, but with mid carders. This is Vito's in ring WCW debut as far as I know. Vito has such a weird body. Disco hit Vito with a chair. Lash tried to pin him because he forgot the gimmick match rules. Lash put Vito in the body bag and won. JTB hit Disco and Lash with a chain. Vito hit his cool DDT on Lash. Lash is then placed in the body bag and carried out.

imrP03cBoBAyL.gif

TO THE BACK. The Mamalukes carry Lash out to their car. Vito forgot where he parked. While they looked for it, Lash got out of the bag.

Paul Orndorff vs Creative Control

If Paul is fired, he shouldn't have to wrestle this match. Extra wiggly elbow! Paul can still go pretty well for his age and as a guy who hadn't wrestled in years. Arn Anderson and Larry Zbyszko come out. Paul hits the piledriver. Orndorff wins! Slick Johnson came out and reversed the decision due to outsider interference.

iXOrZpeSJZQNL.gif

TO THE BACK.
The Outsiders warm up. Elsewhere, Piper swings a chair and talks to himself. Elsewhere elsewhere, The Mamalukes open the body bag to find Norman Smiley hiding in it.

Curt Hennig vs Roddy Piper Chair Match

Piper can't even use his left arm. He's got a torn bicep. He tore it being a ref I guess. Or maybe in the mud match last week. Maybe it's karma for ripping La Parka's bodysuit. Hennig gets hit a few times and walks out on the match.

TO THE BACK.
Tenay gets a camera because Bret Hart has been attacked. Goldberg is there to check on him with a trainer.

The Outsiders vs Bret Hart/Goldberg WCW Tag Team Championships

Bret can't compete, so Goldberg came out alone with both belts. Goldberg has no problems with both men. Bret comes down once Goldberg is on the defense. He puts Nash in the Sharpshooter. Hall broke it up. Spear on Hall. At the same time, Nash hit Bret in his injured leg and pinned him. New champions! Fans were not happy with the result and threw trash into the ring.

ibyUwfsnCcqtn1.gif

DQ Count: Don't worry about it, chico.

I know Thunder is "important" again, but this is the real go home for Starrcade. Starrcade, which is supposed to be the biggest show of the year for WCW. WWE usually starts their build for WM 3 months in advance and sometimes even as early as Survivor Series. WCW starts their build the day after the November PPV and treats it as any other worthless PPV. And on this real go home show, the WCW Champion lost, the Cruiserweight champion got laid out by a girl, the man fighting for the US Championship lost, Sid again got punked out by Nash, Duggan's partners still weren't revealed, Dr. Deaht lost and Vamp got beat up, Piper and Orndorff win matches despite being fired and/or retired or both. So basically, all of the faces/champions look like shit going into the biggest show of the year. Also, more man on woman violence, more fat jokes at Rhonda Sing's expense, and Lex again saying he owns Liz.

strobogo

Banned
I might do individual TNA shows, but I'm absolutely not doing a full year/years of them. There is no chance of that. No SWERVES. This is a SHOOT, brothers. Never, not ever, will I review a year of TNA. Any year.

I might do individual TNA shows, but I'm absolutely not doing a full year/years of them. There is no chance of that. No SWERVES. This is a SHOOT, brothers. Never, not ever, will I review a year of TNA. Any year.

Didn't you say that about doing more WCW after your first set of reviews as well?

kHDxtd1.gif

But early TNA is weird. Its Russo WCW + 1% the budget + early 2000's edginess.

Dont you want to see Jeff Jerrett doing his best Triple H impression for the first 5 years of the company?

Maybe you could just look at the very first TNA show as a "legacy of WCW" thing.

I bought a used bluray player from Goodwill a few weeks ago and the previous owner didn't clear his Amazon account so I'm watching Spring Breakers right now (hey Jeff Jarrett, how ya doing?). This can't come back to me, right?

I should buy some TV shows...

strobogo

Banned
Probably not except you just posted about it. Double J's cameo is so out of the blue. You could buy the 2006 season of Impact, which features Konnan and LAX quite heavily.

You should review sketch comedy shows that feature wrestlers. Like the Bret Hart episode of Mad TV and the SNL where Triple H cameoed (some jobber hosted that ep).

Top Bottom