• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

Nisa65

Crowd was hyped for Naito vs Okada more than anything else during the whole show with the women and kids cheering for Naito and the men doing likewise for Okada. Sadly with the matches all being tag matches, most of the wrestlers didn't get to show off as much as they would in singles. Same thing happened when I went to another NJPW show two years ago. La Sombra got a few high risk moves in during his time in the ring which impressed both me and the rest of the crowd but his time was pretty limited.

The crowd was about 95% adults which I was surprised by as I figured there'd be a lot more kids. Once again I was surprised at how fucking big the "smaller" guys are in real life when I saw Shelton Benjamin come out.

Pat O'Connor vs Lorenzo Parente - (St. Louis 1962)

Pretty good quality footage for something broadcast in the early 60's and a good grappling match as well. O'Connor was ridiculously good. Check out the post-match interview, where Pat shows presenter Joe Garagiola a few holds.

Quoting for the new page. Seriously, it's a long ass match, but worth it;

Hey, we've got fans of women's wrestling here, right? Well, check this shit out;

SENDAI Girls, "SUPER GENERATION STRUGGLE", 2013.10.17
Tokyo Korakuen Hall
1,200 Fans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAGVfRu2p1Y

VETERANS vs NEW GENERATION - 8 vs 8 ELIMINATION MATCH:

Aja Kong, Dump Matsumoto, Dynamite Kansai, Kyoko Inoue, Manami Toyota, Meiko Satomura, Command Bolshoi & Takako Inoue vs Shuri, Yoshiko, Hikaru Shida, Kagetsu, Yuhi, Sareee, Manami Katsu & Takumi Iroha

This match is a whole lot of fun, with some of the biggest names in joshi wrestling from the 90's taking on the younger generation of talent from today's world of joshi wrestling. It's an 8 vs 8 singles match format, so it does go on for quite some time as you'd expect, but seriously; if you're a fan of women's wrestling, watch this. Or don't, whatever.

Crowd was hyped for Naito vs Okada more than anything else during the whole show with the women and kids cheering for Naito and the men doing likewise for Okada.

Glad to hear Naito was getting good reactions, it's been a very mixed reception for him in other markets. I hope Naito vs Okada ends up as the main event of WK8.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Pat O'Connor vs Lorenzo Parente - (St. Louis 1962)

Pretty good quality footage for something broadcast in the early 60's and a good grappling match as well. O'Connor was ridiculously good. Check out the post-match interview, where Pat shows presenter Joe Garagiola a few holds.

Quoting for the new page. Seriously, it's a long ass match, but worth it;

Hmm, I like the tables near the ring. Most striking was the way everyone bumped there. Felt...I dunno. Different. O'Connor is impossible to get a good hold of though, jeezus, he moves like a madman.

Kaladin

Question time!

What is everyone's favorite position for the announcer's table? Ringside or near the entrance?

Both have their own merits obviously, and I think entrance is better from a production standpoint as the camera is not always on the announcers so you can have a producer or someone hand them something off camera without having to hide.

However, if you're working it into the match, ringside has the most natural flow to it. It's right there so obviously it's going to get in the way and become involved sometimes. Near the entrance, you have to have wrestlers brawl up the ramp and sometimes that can become telegraphed.

What say you?

I don't really mind, but if you're ringside you've got to be aware you're gonna be on camera. So look like you're pay attention to the match in the ring and react to help sell the action. Hate it when commentators are heads down looking at monitors/script, or are watching the in-ring action with blank expressions.

strobogo

Banned
At ringside for sure. There is always more energy from being right next to the action. You can always feel the disconnect when announcers are no where near the ring.

Sure was nice of Pat to refrain from snapping Buddy's arm just a few minutes in. That's one BRUTAL arm bar he locked in there.

Yeah, Jesus...that looked ridiculously painful. I miss how brutal the old master mat technicians could make their holds look. It's really a lost art and I die a little bit inside every time I see, say, Randy Orton applying the dullest headlock possible.

Kaladin

At ringside for sure. There is always more energy from being right next to the action. You can always feel the disconnect when announcers are no where near the ring.

You can still get that same disconnect though with certain announce teams. That's not just a location thing.

strobogo

Banned
chuckheadlocknm2.jpg

Alucard

Banned
Watching NXT in HD right now. Looking forward to the Zayn/Neville match. I <3 living in Canada and getting NXT on television.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Snapping TV on the Xbox One isn't always ideal, because splitting your attention, but I plugged my Chromecast in to my HDMI in on the Bone and watch old WWF programming - it's pretty much perfect. You just kinda have it on in the background and since the quality of these recordings isn't amazing you don't feel like you're missing any image fidelity. I recommend it, CrunchinJelly!

Alucard

Banned
Holy shit, Zayn/Neville are putting on a phenomenal main event right now. And Neville's promos aren't that bad. He could get over on ring work and keep working on his mic game. His accent will likely get him over a bit too. Yanks dig accents.

EDIT: Wow. Great main event. Can't believe that was on free TV. These guys are more entertaining that half of the WWE main roster.

strobogo

Banned
Snapping TV on the Xbox One isn't always ideal, because splitting your attention, but I plugged my Chromecast in to my HDMI in on the Bone and watch old WWF programming - it's pretty much perfect. You just kinda have it on in the background and since the quality of these recordings isn't amazing you don't feel like you're missing any image fidelity. I recommend it, CrunchinJelly!

You should watch all the matches in 30 Years of WM mode and play the game at the same time. You wouldn't even be able to tell which is real!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You should watch all the matches in 30 Years of WM mode and play the game at the same time. You wouldn't even be able to tell which is real!

*shudder*

Looking forward to next-gen 2k15...though it's foolish to do so.

Yeah, Jesus...that looked ridiculously painful. I miss how brutal the old master mat technicians could make their holds look. It's really a lost art and I die a little bit inside every time I see, say, Randy Orton applying the dullest headlock possible.

Seriously, all he had to do to completely ruin the arm was cinch up a little more before dropping onto his knee and it would've been a career ending spiral fracture for sure. Nasty elbow to the temple too.

Makes me sad in general how loose holds get applied these days. Properly done a lot of this stuff is just absolutely lethal and you'd never guess it watching a guy like Orton apply it.

Hammer locks and arm bars in particular get me every time.

Alucard

Banned
Just fast-forwarded the first hour of Smackdown. Vomiting in the PG era? Huh.

Just gonna watch the tag matches in the second half.

Holy shit, Zayn/Neville are putting on a phenomenal main event right now. And Neville's promos aren't that bad. He could get over on ring work and keep working on his mic game. His accent will likely get him over a bit too. Yanks dig accents.

EDIT: Wow. Great main event. Can't believe that was on free TV. These guys are more entertaining that half of the WWE main roster.

Yeah his interview segment was pretty good in this episode. Normally I find that he just can't sound like a convincing human being when he's cutting promos, like he's too emotionless and always runs through the generic promo fillers other people with that same problem use ("you wanna know how I feel? I'll tell you how I feel!" type stuff) and doesn't sound natural.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtAMt3SyTwY

Big E's NXT theme was better than his current one.

Love this theme, sad he doesn't use it now. It has the cooler intro, which is the most important part of theme songs

WWE putting up full matches on their Youtube is the best thing they've ever done.

It's replaced Netflix on my "turn shit on in the background" deal. so good.

Those pictures are why nobody can believe in wrestling anymore. How am I supposed to take a building NXT feud between Paige and Emma seriously when they are fucking taking pictures with each other all the time and posting the shit on Twitter?

Somone tell Paige that back arch trick is not working for her. Still love ya.

Like I said earlier, Zaiyn/Neville was better than any match the main shows and PPVs have put on in months. For shame.

jred2k

WWE putting up full matches on their Youtube is the best thing they've ever done.

It's replaced Netflix on my "turn shit on in the background" deal. so good.

Yeah its pretty awesome, but theres something going on with it right now. There hasn't been an update since the 27th and the JoMo/Shaemus KotR Finals match they put up yesterday isn't there anymore. Maybe my search/display settings are just messed up, but its been kind of annoying to have nothing new to watch for a couple days.

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Thunder 12/9/99

This is the first Thunder after Russo said it sucked and that stars would be appearing on it again.

The Outsiders come to the ring, looking pissed that they have to be on Thunder. Hall sits on his ladder and tells Benoit to head to Blockbuster to get a WWF's Greatest Matches video and watch his ladder match with HBK. That's right, Hall just promoted a WWF tape without any kind of joke or burying. He just outright promoted the WWF. Nash talks about Sid and how things aren't a video game. This brings Sid out, saying he's tired of Nash's politics. "At Starrcade, you are going to find out who is the man." "Why's that? Is Vader booked?" "No, wise ass, not Vader." Sid hits the ring and lays Nash out. He shoves Hall off the ladder. They Outsiders end up getting the advantage. Dustin Rhodes runs out to prevent a jackknife. Jarrett then comes out and hits Dustin with a guitar. Then Benoit runs out and is also disposed of.

ip2aQN6PXBlx5.gif

Tenay is calling the match on his own. Evan Karagias vs Rhonda Sing for the title, and Bret/Goldberg vs Creative Control for the titles. Madusa comes out, calls Rhonda fat and says she's the only one getting a title shot. Also, DDP vs Sting and Lex vs Buff. Juvi and Psychosis come to ringside. Juvi is filling Larry's position. Mike Tenay is such a fucking nerd.

TO THE BACK. Goldberg arrives. Elsewhere, Bret laces his boots.

Nitro recap.

TO THE BACK. Sid, Goldy, and Benoit head to TPTB's office.

Dean Malenko vs Booker T.

Juvi buries the shit out of the Revolution, Shane in particular. Duggan challenged them to a 6 man tag for Starrcade. If the Duggan wins, the Revolution has to be WCW's janitors for a month. If Duggan loses, he has to renounces his citizenship. Shane joins for color. Shane knocked Book out with his cast. Dean wins with the Cloverleaf. Duggan came out. Juvi marked out.

TO THE BACK. Sid/Goldy/Benoit are fighting with Creative Control, Virgil, and La Parka.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE. They enter the office and demand a match against Jarrett/Outsiders.

TAFKAPI vs Vampiro

Juvi laughs at Prince for how stupid he looks and says he doesn't want to see the guy work. "Another jabroni. I hate this guy." OK comes out and also joins color.

TO THE BACK.
Piper arrives in his limo. BUT WHO WAS LIMO?!?!

Oklahoma hits on Paisley. She slaps him. Vamp wins with a super kick. Price beat beat up OK until Dr. Death ran in for a save.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE. Dr. Claw Russo fires Mona because there is only room for 1 female wrestler in WCW. Rhonda Sing then walks in says she's going to be the first female Cruiserweight champion.

TO THE BACK.
Nick Patrick and Roddy Piper talk. There is a new memo that said ref decisions are final. Elsewhere, Saturn and Stevie Ray are still brawling. Elsewhere elsewhere, Gene talks to Bret and Goldberg. Creative Control are next.

Evan Karagias vs Rhonda Sing WCW Cruiserweight Championship

Wait, Madusa wrestles the match instead. Whatever. The title doesn't matter anymore. It's already been killed. Madusa won with a roll up. Rhonda starts a striptease when the lights go out. Someone ran out and attacked her during it. I swear the fans were chanting "You fat whore" after the match.

TO THE BACK. Gene talks to David Flair. Flynn challenged him to a match in The Block tonight. Elsewhere, Piper talks to himself. Elsewhere elsewhere, Stevie and Saturn are still fighting.

TO THE BLOCK. Flynn vs David. Buzzkill happened to be down there. Flynn immediately chokes David out. Then Tank Abbott walks in and punches Flynn. Remember when Tank showed up for 2 shows in April or May, seemed to form an alliance with Rick Steiner, and knocked out Sting? Then not a god damn thing happened until December. He wasn't on TV, wasn't mentioned on TV. He made his return in a boiler room.

ibp3l4x8f1yki9.gif

TO THE BACK. Creative Control head to the ring with Slick Johnson. Elsewhere, Bret also makes his way to the arena.

Creative Control vs Goldberg/Bret Hart WCW Tag Team Championships

Slick was being a partial ref. Roddy Piper comes out and argues with him. He slaps him and is now the ref. Spears. Sharpshooter and Jackhammer. New champions!

TO THE POWERS TO BE. Dr. Claw tells Curt to get Piper. Curt tells Virgil. Virgil tells La Parka.

Saturn vs Stevie Ray

They brawled back to ringside and there just happened to be a ref in the ring, so we have a match. Saturn low blowed the ref for no reason. Creative Control came back out and attacked Stevie. Saturn pins him with his feet on the ropes. CC continue to beat up Stevie until Booker hits the ring.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE.
Russo is pissed at Piper. Piper says referee decisions are final. Piper rips La Parka's suit. Russo basically says he's going to end Piper's career.

iMuqdl0inMbb3.gif

TO THE BACK
. Gene talks with Sting and Liz. Sting gives Liz his stamp of approval.

The Total Package vs Buff Bagwell

DDP joins for color. He says he's going to shoot his own angle. He and Buff get into a fight that as to be separated by security and wrestlers.

TO THE POWERS THAT BE.
Russo asks Duggan about who told him he could wrassle again. Duggan says this is about America and he believes in people.

Jim Duggan vs Asya

Duggan is immediately attacked by all of Russo's guys. The Revolution come out with apple pies and hot dogs. Duggan has pie and mustard all over him. Saturn eats a pie. Harlem Heat run out with 2x4s to save the day.

TO THE BACK. Gene talks with Benoit/Sid/Dustin. They're going to kill or something.

DDP vs Sting

Ref bump in about 40 seconds. Lex comes in and lays Sting out. DDP hits a Kanyon Cutter. BANG! Man, 2 minutes. Sting has lost a lot and in short matches lately.

Sid/Chris Benoit/Dustin Rhodes vs The Outsiders/Jeff Jarrett

Big shocker here, but they had a super short match and Jeff hit Sid with a guitar. Nash made the pin.

DQ Count: Fuck it.

All the stars were there, but it was still Thunder. The lack of top talent isn't what made Thunder suck. It has always been short, meaningless matches that made people not give a shit about Thunder. Russo's big plan to make Thunder important again was to keep having those short, meaningless matches, but with main eventers. It's still Thunder and it still sucks.

Kaladin

All the stars were there, but it was still Thunder. The lack of top talent isn't what made Thunder suck. It has always been short, meaningless matches that made people not give a shit about Thunder. Russo's big plan to make Thunder important again was to keep having those short, meaningless matches, but with main eventers. It's still Thunder and it still sucks.

I bet they still got a ratings spike that week and maybe the next. Wrestling fans are suckers for hype and the chance that something awful will change.

strobogo

Banned
I bet they still got a ratings spike that week and maybe the next. Wrestling fans are suckers for hype and the chance that something awful will change.

I'm not sure anyone is happy with seeing 2 minute Sting/DDP matches, 2 minute tag matches with Bret and Goldberg, and no clean finishes all night.

Russo's October 1999-January 2000 WCW run was a lot more chaotic than I remember it being. Jesus. I don't even remember Bret Hart & Goldberg winning the WCW Tag Titles...

The Yamaha Brothers (Kantaro Hoshino & Kotetsu Yamamoto) © vs Animal Hamaguchi & Mighty Inoue - 2/3 Falls - (IWE 01/29/79)

Pretty good 2/3 falls match here from the mostly forgotten IWE promotion and their IWA World Tag Titles - you may have heard of Animal & Inoue before, but the Yamaha Brother's aren't as well know today. They started at Rikidozan's JWA and were sent to the US in the late 60's on a learning excursion where they were paired up and given their tag gimmick. When the JWA closed after Rikidozan's death, Hoshino & Yamamoto followed Inoki to NJPW and became known as two of the better junior heavyweight tag wrestlers of the 70's. This match came just a few days after The Yamaha Brothers had defeated Animal & Great Kusatsu for the belts, taking them back to New Japan;

iggpie9rcX1zO.jpg

So Animal Hamaguchi teamed up with the other great young star of the promotion Mighty Inoue to try and reclaim the belts for the IWE. The match itself is pretty good - some of these IWE 2/3 falls matches lose their way, but this is paced well. Some good hold for hold wrestling at the start, before things getting a little heated leading into the second fall and both teams start unloading on each other. FUN! I really need to get more IWE in my collection.

strobogo

Banned
Russo's October 1999-January 2000 WCW run was a lot more chaotic than I remember it being. Jesus. I don't even remember Bret Hart & Goldberg winning the WCW Tag Titles...

That's okay. They lose them at the next show so they can actually have some conflict for their title match, which otherwise had the same build up as Cena/Daniel Bryan. Bret just offered Goldberg a match and that was that. And they respect the heck out of each other.

Top Bottom