• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Numerology or what? PS4 + Firmware 4 or PS3 + Firmware 5 = 8

Numerology or what, this October at a bi-annual major firmware update the PS3 and PS4 will have this: PS4 + Firmware 4.0 or PS3 + Firmware 5.0 = 8

http://www.asian-central.com/stuffasianpeoplelike/2008/08/08/88-numbers-8-8-08/ said:
That prestigious position, without question has to go to the number 8. Our good friend ‘eight” (in Chinese at least) is a near homonym for the words for ‘wealth“ or ‘prosperity.” The Roman numerical ’8″ is also symmetrical ““ putting it at the top of the numerical dog-pile. Look at it this way, if there was some sort of Asian beat-down where each number from zero to nine had to fight each other to the death; ‘eight” would come out triumphant without even raising a sweat. From more obscure acts such as the purchase of the Chinese phone number 8888-8888 for approximately $US270,000, to the enormity of the Beijing Olympic Games opening ceremony on 08/08/08 at 8.08:08 p.m. ““ the number eight is totally all-encompassing, and affects us Asians in a way we cannot imagine!
PS3 Firmware 5 with Playready and PS4 firmware 4 with DLNA 4 eventually supporting 4K UHD Blu-ray are both Major Media Firmware updates. While 4 sounds like Death in Japanese and there was some speculation that Sony would not use the 4 in the PS4 name they followed through with the 4 because I think they consider 4K their salvation.

Proof Firmware Media updates will impact Microsoft and Sony sales

We are on the edge of a technological shift in the US because of Vidipath and the elimination of the cable card in favor of a Downloadable Security Scheme. This is huge for Microsoft and Sony as PCs and their game consoles can be DVRs and STBs for Cable TV and Antenna TV. ATSC 3.0 Is Going To Revolutionize Free, Over-The-Air TV. UHD Blu-ray is the pre-cursor for ATSC 3 and UHD Blu-ray players with digital bridge can be the STBs connected to a Vidipath tuner/DLNA server from either Cable TV or Antenna TV and also act as DVR and blu-ray movie Vidipath server to to other TVs in the home.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190397534&postcount=256
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190459442&postcount=264

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=9186 said:
The DSTAC's report was focused on downloadable security, and one option that it discussed was app based security. App-based security = "cable" streaming over the internet from Comcast, Time Warner, Charter Spectrum, maybe others. From a legal perspective cable providers can simply stream. No cablecard slot in your Roku? No problem. The app will handle it.

Comcast here: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=87769
TWC Here: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90598
Charter here: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90294

This seems to clarify the big push to H.264 (by the end of 2015) from many cable providers, they all made the move at about the same time, more than a decade after it was available. It wasn't just to free up bandwidth, or allow more channels. It was to allow tablet/Roku/Apple TV etc to be a cable box. They started transitioning right before it was possible for them to send DRM content to something other than a cablecard device (i.e. when they were helping craft the bill and lobbying legislatures).

For a long time many cable executives have said they are not interested in selling cable boxes or DVRs, it was a headache they went through to support cable subscribers. It looks like they actually meant it.

Followup: I don't follow a lot of politics, and cable TV (soon to be IPTV) isn't the most important aspect of our lives, but it's amazing how we are on the edge of a technological shift and most people aren't aware of the law change that made it possible. It was actually against the law for these cable companies to provide their content to a non-cablecard devices a year and a half ago.
Comcast is offering Stream for $15/month. It's IPTV delivered Cable TV meant to compete with Playstation Vue. You can cable cord cut your Cable TV ($68/month) and still have a limited Cable TV lineup delivered by the Internet for $15/month. It's being launched in the same markets Playstation Vue is being launched as those Cable infrastructures can support it.

This also explains the delays (ATSC 2.0 and Cable 1080P use h.264) and Downloadable Security is necessary for the cable industry to support consumer owned DVRs and STBs with Vidipath support (PS4, XB1 and PCs with Windows 10). DLNA 4 is necessary to Vidipath stream 1080P content = Playready ND plus Playready Porting kit 3 required by DLNA 3.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I tried reading the OP multiple times but this is crazy territory, Jeff. What exactly are you trying to say? :mad:

Ban Puncher

gAcuf.gif

jesu

8 is a magic number in China.
PS4 plus firmware 4 = 8
PS3 plus firmware 5 = 8

Jeff is now using numerology to confirm 4k content is coming to the Playstation consoles.
In China.

Jeff, something happened to me last Thursday when I was driving home.
I had a couple of miles to go -- I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly...
Suddenly, there was intense light all around me -- and when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me...?
Fine, forget it...

jsnepo

Why didn't I realized sooner that this will be a Rigby thread? I certainly hope the PS3 firmware 5.0 will bring about visibility of the PS4 and Vita online friends.

Well I always thought jeff was talking about things I just didn't understand or care about, but now I'm not so sure anymore

And 42 is the ultimate answer to life, the universe and everything.

Vita = life
42 is 4 + 2 = 6.

PS6 is going to be a console/handheld hybrid.

6 = 3 × 2 = it will also have PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility.

So playing on the Playstation consumes time and money

Playstation = time x money

Everyone knows that time is money

time = money

therefore

Playstation = money²

And everyone knows that money is the root of all evil

money = √evil

therefore

Playstation = (√evil)²

all according to keikaku

Playstation = evil

shamelessly stolen from the internet

I tried reading the OP multiple times but this is crazy territory, Jeff. What exactly are you trying to say? :mad:
I believe Sony employees have a sense of humor and a feel for history making updates. I believe they deliberately managed firmware updates so the OP is true....they have done this in the past. Remember the Trilithium framework for IPTV. Trilithium powers the Star Trek Enterprise Engines...You know making money = Enterprise. PS3 firmware update 3.5 supported HULU and other IPTV apps with Flash server 3.5 features.

I am not trying to prove PS4 Firmware update 4 supports DLNA 4, I know it does as do any who have read what they are up to. That, I think, was managed by Sony too as they are a founding member of both the DTLA and DLNA organizations.

I believe Sony employees have a sense of humor and a feel for history making updates. I believe they deliberately managed firmware updates so the OP is true....they have done this in the past. Remember the Trilithium framework for IPTV. Trilithium powers the Star Trek Enterprise Engines...You know making money = Enterprise. PS3 firmware update 3.5 supported HULU and other IPTV apps with Flash server 3.5 features.

I am not trying to prove PS4 Firmware update 4 supports DLNA 4, I know it does as do any who have read what they are up to. That, I think, was managed by Sony too as they are a founding member of both the DTLA and DLNA organizations.

If that's the case, their firmware team is actually MORE incompetent than we're even giving them credit for. Yikes.
The same team that brought us STICKERS?!

Necron

jeff_rigby and Mama Robotnik threads are the best things about NeoGAF.

I was always surprised as well that they called it the PS4 instead of giving it another title (like they called their handheld PS Vita instead of PSP2).

So... the revolution was really going to be TV all along? Xbox One reveal redeemed?

EDIT: wait, so all PS4 consoles will be able to playback 4K blu-rays without any problems in the future through a simple firmware update? Is that even possible? I'm horrible when it comes to tech talk...

L Thammy

That may be true OP, but consider this.

The Minovsky Physics Society was formed in U.C.0045 at the space colony Side 3. Their research was devoted to the development of a nuclear fusion reactor. By the year U.C.0047, development of the Minovsky-Ionesco reactor began. This reactor, although designed by Dr. T.Y. Minovsky in his earlier days when he was serving the Earth Federation, was still a piece of black box technology and rendered him a heretic in the classical physics community (where classical in the Universal Century includes the modern physics of today). This is the main reason for his termination of service in the Earth Federation and taking residence in Side 3 prior to the One Year War. However, seeing the horror of the Zabi family's militaristic regime, Minovsky defected back and offered his expertise to the Federation. However, his inventions were applied very differently by the Earth Federation.

The reactant used a rare isotope of helium known as helium-3 (i.e., 2 protons and 1 neutron in the nucleus). A helium-3 atom is fused with a deuterium atom (heavy hydrogen) to form the stable helium-4 and a single proton. Since the proton is positively charged, it can easily be trapped within a magnetic field. The main practical problem with this reaction is that helium-3 is extremely rare; there are few deposits on Earth, mainly found in uranium mines, and these are mostly depleted. The Gundam world's fusion reactors rely on a constant supply of helium-3 imported from the outer solar system planet Jupiter, thus necessitating the beginning of the Jupiter Energy Fleet. The JEF would travel from Earth to Jupiter, which has a high level of helium-3 in its atmosphere, and then come back to Earth with the gas fuel. It should be noted that in real physics, helium-3-deuterium fusion produces neutrons due to inevitable deuterium-deuterium reactions. Also, significant quantities of helium-3 were recently discovered on the moon, although there is certainly much more on Jupiter.

Top Bottom