• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Numerology or what? PS4 + Firmware 4 or PS3 + Firmware 5 = 8

Morat

Banned
qrlTENU.gif

tumblr_lpg3so4bvm1qiy6q1.gif

Luq

8 - 4 - 3 + 5 + PS3 - PS4 - 2 - 4 = 3

Half-Life 3 confirmed guys!

i didn't do the math at all

Mikey Jr.

Why do all Jeff Rigby threads start off as absolute nonsense?

I'd love to read the thing, but I might as well be trying to decipher hieroglyphics.

Jeff's been on a crusade for some time trying to prove that Sony will update ALL PS4s to support UHD blu-ray through a firmware update.

His reasoning involves a large amount of circuitous thinking and circumstantial evidence such as HDMI 2.0 output, HDCP 2.2, Netflix 4K and the drive read speed of the PS4's blu-ray drive being sufficient to read a UHD blu-ray.
Don't miss-represent, there is no UHD drive, it's a modern standard blu-ray drive complying with the 2010 BD-R whitepaper, 2010 Panasonic-Sony disc compression tweek and Sony 2010 patent.. A 2013 drive is a modern blu-ray drive. There is no UHD Drive! For the PS4 and XB1 blu-ray drive to not support UHD, they would need to specially purchase a version 1 drive manufactured sometime around 2010 or earlier.

The latest straw at which he's grasping is that he believes the coincidental fact that Sony's next firmware updates for the PS4 and PS3 might both be labelled 8.0 will see Sony unveil UHD blu-ray support for the PS4 as a major feature.
No, I already know that the PS4 and XB1 will support UHD. I find it interesting that PS3 + firmware 5 = 8 = PS4 + firmware 4 and both will be supporting Vidipath.

People have tried to tell him that Sony could still choose to release a new model with UHD blu-ray support and not give that feature to earlier PS4s despite technically being able, but he refuses to believe that.
The view that both versions of the PS4 do not have the ability to support UHD is flawed. Sony has never broken the console model so all version of the PS4 should support UHD or not. Everything to support UHD and other media has to be inside the PS4 Southbridge as it's the Trusted Execution Environment for Media.

For some reason, he also tries to entangle this in console wars between Microsoft and Sony.
No, I have consistently said that Sony and Microsoft are co-operating given Sony-Microsoft.com and Microsoft-Sony.com registered by Microsoft after Sony posted 2011 that they were going to use Playready DRM in all their CE connected platforms. Playready + DLNA + HTML5 <video> is necessary to support Vidipath.

If you look at the TVs and TV STBs, all that support Playready will have Vidipath support. Late 2014 Sony posted a job to port Playready to the PS3 and DRM today lists the PS3 as now having embedded Playready, early 2015 the PS3 did not have Playready support according to DRM today. The Netflix and Youtube apps on the PS3 are from 2012 with few changes. HTML5 <video> MSE EME with Playready embedded is the next browser update for the PS3. It will also need an updated DLNA and APIs to allow it to have the same WebMAF support the PS4 has. I think there is a good chance that we will see ooVoo support on the PS3 also. These two PDFs show the PS3 and PS4 with Vidipath and Downloadable Security necessary for DVR, Cable Tuner and IPTV STB,

kabel

OP

You sound like you know what you are talking about. But you also sound like you're an alien who learned english through intercepted broadcasts of honey boo boo.

virtualS

The number 8 has great significance in both technology and Asian culture.

I believe you Jeff.

3 + 5 = 8 = 4 + 4

Clearly such perfect fortuitous symmetry is the harbinger of something truly miraculous.

Alo0oy

Banned
I feel bad for Jeff Rigby, people always derail his threads (even though I don't understand half of what he says), I appreciate his threads nonetheless.

Don't miss-represent, there is no UHD drive, it's a modern standard blu-ray drive complying with the 2010 BD-R whitepaper, 2010 Panasonic-Sony disc compression tweek and Sony 2010 patent.. A 2013 drive is a modern blu-ray drive. There is no UHD Drive! For the PS4 and XB1 blu-ray drive to not support UHD, they would need to specially purchase a version 1 drive manufactured sometime around 2010 or earlier.

No, I already know that the PS4 and XB1 will support UHD. I find it interesting that PS3 + firmware 5 = 8 = PS4 + firmware 4 and both will be supporting Vidipath.

The view that both versions of the PS4 do not have the ability to support UHD is flawed. Sony has never broken the console model so all version of the PS4 should support UHD or not. Everything to support UHD and other media has to be inside the PS4 Southbridge as it's the Trusted Execution Environment for Media.

No, I have consistently said that Sony and Microsoft are co-operating given Sony-Microsoft.com and Microsoft-Sony.com registered by Microsoft after Sony posted 2011 that they were going to use Playready DRM in all their CE connected platforms. Playready + DLNA + HTML5 <video> is necessary to support Vidipath.

If you look at the TVs and TV STBs, all that support Playready will have Vidipath support. Late 2014 Sony posted a job to port Playready to the PS3 and DRM today lists the PS3 as now having embedded Playready, early 2015 the PS3 did not have Playready support according to DRM today. The Netflix and Youtube apps on the PS3 are from 2012 with few changes. HTML5 <video> MSE EME with Playready embedded is the next browser update for the PS3. It will also need an updated DLNA and APIs to allow it to have the same WebMAF support the PS4 has. I think there is a good chance that we will see ooVoo support on the PS3 also. These two PDFs show the PS3 and PS4 with Vidipath and Downloadable Security necessary for DVR, Cable Tuner and IPTV STB,

Jeff, all these things can be true, but Sony still might not update the PS4 to support UHD blu-ray. While all the technical requirements might be in place, we still might not see support patched in by Sony. There are factors outside the technical realm.

The only reasonable conclusions I can see in your posts at this stage is that Sony will ensure the PS4 can support 4K streaming services and might allow the PS4 to be used as a DVR, cable tuner and STB by some services in some markets.

Let's reuse some more footage.

8TY271a.gif

Perfect.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I feel bad for Jeff Rigby, people always derail his threads (even though I don't understand half of what he says), I appreciate his threads nonetheless.

Why do you appreciate them if you do not understand them? It's usually a wild mixture of baseless conjecture, bordering on conspiracy theory, and plain nonsense. Just google him. (Sorry, Jeff, but it's true.)

Top Bottom