• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FF7 Remake Trailer breaks 7 million views on YouTube in less than a week

FF7 is still quite a ways off so I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about a XII HD come TGS or PSX to help fill the gaps between the other games releases.

if what Verendus said is true its suppose to come out for FF7s 20th anniversary
which is 2017
so
2016-FFXV
2017-FF7R(sorry Sora)
2018-KH3

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It was pretty straightforward.

"The reunion at hand may bring joy, it may bring fear, but let us embrace whatever it brings"

This is basically Nomura and his crew saying "Look, we know you're worried it may not live up to the original, but here is your remake, no matter how it may turn out, it's coming."

edit: I see I'm beaten.
The trailer narrative is perfect. An obvious Nomura touch right there.

SOLDIER

Not quite as significant, but I'm happy to say my reaction video broke 200,000:

https://youtu.be/ieB51rHpQ4Q

I think I might have the second most-viewed FFVII reaction video after GT Live.

That unrestrained enthusiasm hasn't waned. I'm so happy we have entered the "holy shit the Remake is real" era.

Cidd

I'm surprised at how many people not realizing how big FFVII actually is. It's what made PlayStation what it is today and many gamers first Jrpg.

This remake is huge, not even Half-life 3 is this big.

ConceptX

I wonder if this is going to get the same budget as a mainline Final Fantasy tittle.

I think it needs it.

Many of the developers have repeated several times the size of the work needed to complete it over the last decade, with several of them saying it would be their "lifes work" and/or their "final project" and other comments to that effect.

So, I think they'll be taking it very seriously.

I think the boost from PC will be very much needed too, so whilst it's PS4 first, it almost has to come to other platforms.

I'm surprised at how many people don't realize how big FFVII actually is. It's what made PlayStation what it is today and many gamers first Jrpg.

This remake is huge, not even Half-life 3 is this big.

Ehhhhhh I agree with you about FF7 being huge but I don't know about the bolded

Half Life is fucking massive

Godcannon

That unrestrained enthusiasm hasn't waned. I'm so happy we have entered the "holy shit the Remake is real" era.

I don't typically watch reaction videos, But this had me in tears laughing the next day. I'm glad it's getting views and likes(I liked it) because it's the best reaction video I've ever seen. The way you were gasping and groaning in disbelief is exactly how I felt lol. Thanks again, good stuff.

SEPHIROOOOOOTHHHH!

GlamFM

Banned
I'd love for this to sell better than all of this 13 garbage.

Just so they know they are basically on the wrong track since 9 came out.

SOLDIER

I don't typically watch reaction videos, But this had me in tears laughing the next day. I'm glad it's getting views and likes(I liked it) because it's the best reaction video I've ever seen. The way you were gasping and groaning in disbelief is exactly how I felt lol. Thanks again, good stuff.

SEPHIROOOOOOTHHHH!

That's usually the part where I stop and think if I overdid it.

But then I realized how the original did a really great job establishing actual horror elements, like the beating heart, the bloody hallways, and Sephiroth actually looking right at you in a ghostly form.

And I'm imagining all that in PS4 tech.

Oh no, I'm ready to begin the cat-and-mouse chase again.

Cidd

I disagree with that entire statement. Everyone who even pays a little attention to games knows about Half Life.

They know about it by name but 90% of the time they don't know what Half-life actually is.

Half-Life is basically a benchmark for PC gamers and a internet meme.

BibiMaghoo

I am certainly biased, but I would consider this the most anticipated game we never expected to have, of all time.

So I very much expect it to double that number in little time at all.

BokehKing

Banned
Hell I didn't think we will see the day after this

Ue90yn7.gif

MMaRsu

Banned
They know about it by name but 90% of the time they don't know what Half-life actually is.

Half-Life is basically a benchmark for PC gamers and a internet meme.

Wtf is this nonsense bro. Half Life is legendary in its own right.

Just like ff7 <3. Even if we wont see it until a few years, thank you Square Enix for starting to make some smart decisions again.

acklame

Yeah this game will be massive. Rarely does a game actually breakthrough on social media but I saw tons of people who aren't really big gamers sharing this trailer and are super excited about it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Best trailer of all time imo.

First trailer that got perfect 10/10 from Gametrailers crew. They described a feeling of this trailer unveil like a someone reluctantly hovering a cookie over a hungry dog who was desperately patiently waiting for a treat... and then that treat totally delivered. :D

Kikujiro

I dont know how is this really news worthy, the Fallout 4 trailer reached 13 million in like 4 days

Bethesda's IPs have become huge during the last generation, Skyrim sold more than 20m copies (most on PC).

FFVII is a remake of a game that came out 20 years ago, the fact that it's still so popular that it can reach the same numbers of bigger IPs like Star Wars and Fallout shows how beloved the original was. It won't sell more than the next Elder Scrolls, but it can beat any other FF (even the original FFVII) if they will be able to conquer the PC crowd.

Box

I was just showing the official trailer to a friend and happened to see the views. Just the official version of the trailer in the playstation YouTube channel has over 7 MILLION views! 7 MILLION! I couldn't believe it. In the time it has taken me to write this OP it has almost hit 8 million. I knew that FF7 was beloved and, by all accounts, popular but this is way beyond any expectation I had. This game is gonna be HUGE!

So am I the only one who underestimated the impact this would have? I figured it would be a home run with the relatively small hardcore market but these sort of numbers seem to imply a much larger market appeal than I had anticipated.

Somehow FF7 remake became a meme game, probably due to the troll release last year. The announcement has a lot of shock value in that respect, but the prospect of the game itself isn't that exciting. It's a remake. It's not going to have the same effect that the original FF7 had in the 90s.

MMaRsu

Banned
Somehow FF7 remake became a meme game, probably due to the troll release last year. The announcement has a lot of shock value in that respect, but the prospect of the game itself isn't that exciting. It's a remake. It's not going to have the same effect that the original FF7 had in the 90s.

Dude, the ff7 remake had become a meme since the ps3 tech demo. I mean everybody wanted it but it turned out to be just a tech demo in the end.

The troll announcement of the port last year is actually truly hilarious looking back at it now. I guess they didnt have a trailer to show back then.

You can say whatever but it can become huge and sell more than the original ff7 if they do it righteous.

Busaiku

This is absolutely true. Regardless of what individuals may feel is the "best" entry in the franchise, there is no question FFVII is the definitive FF game. This will be the best selling JRPG since......well probably the original FFVII
And every main Pokemon game ever.

Kuni

I'm not surprised. This was easily the biggest announcement at E3 and one of the biggest announcements of the last decade imo.

Godcannon

That's usually the part where I stop and think if I overdid it.

But then I realized how the original did a really great job establishing actual horror elements, like the beating heart, the bloody hallways, and Sephiroth actually looking right at you in a ghostly form.

And I'm imagining all that in PS4 tech.

Oh no, I'm ready to begin the cat-and-mouse chase again.

That's one of the most impressive things about the trailer too was how creepy it was, it felt really true to the OG and at the same time looked fucking insanely good. Check out the thread about what scenes must stay if you haven't yet. If they can pull this off, the world is going to be a better place hah. You going overboard is what makes that video awesome man, I salute you, and fuck it the people there were freaking out just like the rest of the world.

The trailer narrative is perfect. An obvious Nomura touch right there.

He seems fond of his meta 'character narrating the game but also refering to the audience' thing. Like that 15th cycle of the saga or whatever it was at E3 2013, or this might not have been him, the 'it's been a long time but it's almost here' FFXV TGS 2014 trailer.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
...can yall imagine Omnislash or Nights of the Round, UPDATED visually??

I got goosebumps y'all

Mman235

Half - life is only big among PC crowd, most console gamers don't even know what Half-Life is.

This is exactly the sort of thing people were saying about a FF7 remake before the reveal (only early Playstation fans would care, people have moved on etc); just like the FF7 remake, unless something goes horribly wrong with it people are going to completely lose their shit if/when Half-life 3 is actually revealed.

hodgy100

Hell I didn't think we will see the day after this

Ue90yn7.gif

now we know why he was laughing tho :p

its been a meme somewhat since e3 2005. people have been begging for it but SE was all like "lol nope".

looking back now. it would have been cooler if they introduced FF7-R like this :p

Kyoufu

[QUOTE="D";169055063]...can yall imagine Omnislash or Nights of the Round, UPDATED visually??

I got goosebumps y'all[/QUOTE]

I want to see Super Nova the most. Uggggggggh it's going to look so good.

jiggle

How's the reception in Japan?

[QUOTE="D";169055063]...can yall imagine Omnislash or Nights of the Round, UPDATED visually??

I got goosebumps y'all[/QUOTE]
The summons
Will be glorious

Concept17

I don't think Half Life is as big as Final Fantasy 7. What are the sales of Half Life 1, 2, and the episodes, out of curiosity?

Half-life is to PC gaming as FF7 is to playstation. There is really no point comparing the two.

The major difference for me is that Half-Life spawned Counterstrike and many other games, while SE has never been able to top FF7. That's great in both regards. FF7 is bigger for me personally, but if HL3 ever gets properly announced, I imagine I'll be just as excited.

LOL nice! Your Seeephiroth, I am commin' for ya kind of completes this for me :D

thanks, had a good laugh.

Kyoufu

Square is going to jump start the jrpg craze again in the US. (with same damn game lol)

Not when FFVII Remake looks 900 times better than anything else coming out of Japan because Square-Enix are one of the few if not only Japanese companies capable of creating AAA RPGs.

I don't think VIIr will do anything for the genre as a whole and the state of consoles in Japan, but feel free to prove me wrong once it's out there.

Top Bottom