• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

Looks like an engineer got fired/quit:

Billy Corgan is the single biggest egotistical ****ing asshole I've ever dealt with. I've come across prima donna types in music, artists who believe their shit doesn't stink etc. But this guy takes the cake, no contest. This is coming from someone who worked with him for months (me), not just as an outside observer. That aside, I will say that the new record has some good stuff on it. Loud, heavy, not quite Gish/Siamese sounds but pretty close in ways. The shit songs are there as well, and the ever present stench of rotten ****ing ego.

In order to enjoy the new stuff, I suggest ignoring anything Billy has to say, dont read any liners notes or listen too hard to the lyrics. In a perfect world, the new album would be an instrumental. That I could tolerate. I seriously wanna box that guy. EVERYTHING that music is to me, he has trampled on. Zero integrity, zero artistic vision, zero humility, and quite frankly zero balls. **** 'em.

It's a bummer, cause I cant listen to any of it too much. Whiny little bitch ruined for me. The album will do well, and people around Billy will continue to quit, or laugh at the sheer ****ness of his being.

This was over at the QOTSA forum...

He's pissed :lol

Doesn't everyone know what Billy's work ethic is like now? If you don't want to work with a perfectionist who is likely going to be in your face throughout the entire process, don't sign up :p

This could just be some random loser making stuff up, of course.

Diablos

Heyyy, mailing list update!

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS ANNOUNCE FIRST SHOW SINCE 2000 AT THE HISTORIC GRAND REX IN PARIS

BAND TO UNVEIL SONGS FROM UPCOMING ALBUM 'ZEITGEIST'

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS are excited to announce their first live performance since December 2, 2000 - a very special and intimate theatre show to take place May 22 in Paris, France at the historic and elegantly appointed Grand Rex. Tickets will go on sale April 11.

This marks the first time The Smashing Pumpkins will unveil songs from the upcoming ZEITGEIST (Martha's Music/Reprise), their sixth album and first of new material since 2000's Machina/The Machines of God and the free, digital-only release Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music. ZEITGEIST was produced by Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin, with Roy Thomas Baker and Terry Date working separately on various tracks, and represents the culmination of two years of work.

After the Paris show, The Smashing Pumpkins will headline major European festivals from May 28 at Holland’s Pinkpop festival through June 17 at Switzerland’s Greenfield Festival, returning to England August 24 (Leeds Festival) and August 26 (Reading Festival). Stay tuned for more information about North American tour dates beyond the V Festivals confirmed in Washington, DC (August 5) and Toronto, ONT (September 8).

Catch up with the band at smashingpumpkins.com and myspace.com/smashingpumpkins

Here are the initial tour dates:

Tue 5/22 Paris, France Grand Rex
Mon 5/28 Landgraaf, Neth. Pinkpop (Near Heerlen)
Thu 5/31 Barcelona, Spain Primavera Sound Festival
Sat 6/2 Nurburgring, Ger Nurburgring Race Track
Sun 6/3 Nuremberg, Ger Zeppelinfeld
Sat 6/9 Lisbon, Portugal Super Rock
Tue 6/12 Madrid, Spain Las Ventas
Fri 6/15 Nickelsdorf, Austria Nova Rock
Sat 6/16 Imola (Venice), Italy Heineken Jammin' Festival
Sun 6/17 Interlaken, Swtz. Greenfield Festival
Sun 8/5 Washington, DC V Festival at Pimlico Park
Fri 8/24 Leeds, England Leeds Festival
Sun 8/26 Reading, England Reading Festival
Sat 9/8 Toronto, ON V Festival

Jimmy produced too, that is *awesome*

Diablos

Lots of stuff to post here...

From Ben Lee's blog:

http://www.ben-lee.com/blog.htm#20070331 said:
"Went to the Smashing Pumpkins album-wrap party and heard their awesome newie. Seriously, the heaviest and most intense thing they have ever done. Really exceptional. Sounds like the world needs a record like that right now."
That right there just made me like 10x more interested than I already am.

From someone at another forum that communicates with people from music magazines:

This just arrived in my mailbox:

Hey there --

I'm Erica Futterman, outreach editor for RollingStone.com. I wanted to pass along word that tomorrow we'll be posting an exclusive statement from James Iha regarding his future involvement with the Smashing Pumpkins. I'll send you the link when it goes up, but let me know if you need anything else before then.

Thanks!
erica

This is a tracklisting someone got from an anonymous SPFC e-mail:

47x7537.jpg

No one knows if it's real or fake. In my opinion, I think the writing might be fake. Compare it to something like the following pic, which is legitimate:

2n16k5f.jpg

edit: Watch for this quote in the latest Rolling Stone!

“No, I’m not part of the current Smashing Pumpkins album or tour, I haven’t spoken to Billy in years. I’m writing for a solo record, which I’m going to record this year, and working on my indie label Scratchie Records."
If true, that explains it!

Annnnd onto replacements:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lassie_Foundation

Rock rumor webzine Buddyhead is reporting that Jeff Schroeder is the new guitarist for The Smashing Pumpkins, replacing James Iha.
Buddyhead also mentions a girl named Ginger Sling as being the bassist. Does that site usually end up being correct?

I hope the Ginger Sling rumor is wrong, as she's apparently some right-wing anti-abortionist loon. WTF?

Some impressions from Linda Strawberry put my mind at ease, though:

i want to gush. i dont usually gush. but this gushing is well earned.
you could say that im biased since billy is one of my favorite people on the
planet..
but...
im not exaggerrating..
the other night after we had been shooting a video for a friend of ours
(glittercop//sonic justice league...more on this later)... billy pulled a cd out of his pocket.. the just
mastered new pumpkins record and asked if we wanted to hear it.. um..
yes...i guess so.. OF COURSE.
i hadn't heard anything since i would visit them last year in rehearsals.
and im really glad i waited to hear anything because it was such a brilliant
surprise.
we were all tired and i was sitting comfortably on the couch but somehow a
few seconds after the music started assaulting the speakers i was up in
front in the middle dancing my ass off. its ballsy.. its dark.. its some of
the best drumming ive ever heard.. its wild. its on fire. its everything ive
been asking the music world to give me.... something to rock my brains out
to... something gorgeous.. something inspired.. something well
written....and well played.. and complete. its majestic.
they didnt hold back anything. its violently beautiful. the vocal
arrangements make me wild.. its passionate.
i promised to not be specific.
i can't say anything specific. and i know this is going to be annoying to
alot of pumpkins fans dying for specifics.. im sorry.. this is such a
tease... but i dont care
i rocked so hard that i got whiplash and a sore calf.
im soooo excited...
and i can't wait to see it live.
and im so ****ing proud of them.

its an achievement. the bar has been raised.

Diablos

Well, the James rumor was true:

4/6/07, 12:29 pm EST
Exclusive: James Iha Speaks Out Regarding His Involvement in Pumpkins Reunion

We recently spoke with iconic Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha, who has been graciously going about his business while his former bandmates schedule summer tour dates and discuss the details of their new record. It has never been totally clear which members of the original Pumpkins lineup would be involved in this much-gossiped about reunion tour and new album and now Iha assures us that he will absolutely not be part of it.

“No, I’m not part of the current Smashing Pumpkins album or tour, I haven’t spoken to Billy in years. I’m writing for a solo record, which I’m going to record this year, and working on my indie label Scratchie Records,” says Iha, referring to the label he co-founded in 2002 with Fountains of Wayne’s Adam Schelsininger. Scratchie has put out albums by Albert Hammond Jr. and The Sounds, among others.

-- Elizabeth Goodman
4gfne5z.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdai...egarding-his-involvement-in-pumpkins-reunion/

Also, there's a date for the first single:

5.14-15
The Automatic "Monster" (Columbia)
The Smashing Pumpkins TBD (Reprise)
http://www.fmqb.com/article.asp?id=16770

TBD meaning To Be Determined, obviously. 5/15 isn't too long from now...

White Man

Diablos said:
Buddyhead also mentions a girl named Ginger Sling as being the bassist. Does that site usually end up being correct?

They've got a pretty good track record. They don't post gossip as much as they used to.

terrene

Banned
Diablos said:
This is a tracklisting someone got from an anonymous SPFC e-mail:

47x7537.jpg
"That's the Way"?
"United States"?
"C'mon Let's Go"?
"From America With Love?"

WTF is this, a Cheap Trick record?

Diablos

Macam said:
A new Iha record? Woo! Now where's the new JCC record, dammit?
I don't know where the link is now, but Billy Mohler recently said JCC is going to get back to work very soon.

terrene said:
"That's the Way"?
"United States"?
"C'mon Let's Go"?
"From America With Love?"

WTF is this, a Cheap Trick record?
Yeah :\

Orchid, Doomsday Clock, F# Stomp (or is it FA Stomp), Gossamer and Ma Belle are pretty cool names though.

"God & Country" -- ugh. I can only hope he's talking about the perversion of God & Country in recent years.

Diablos

I don't know. Looks like pics, artwork, etc. for the album.

In other news, four tracks from "Quiet and Other Songs" have leaked, as well as some "Unknown Demo Tape." They're at RSPAA.

Who ever thought something from QaOS would've surfaced? It's been years. QaOS has Blew Away, Cherub Rock (with really different lyrics), Disarm, and Set the Ray to Jerry (cut short). The "Unknown Demo Tape" has Cross, Valentine, and a clip of Satellite.

"Valentine" is a good song! New to us :D

Diablos

BIG update! Tracklisting confirmed, as well as how the album will sound, and I'm ****ing THRILLED.

Smashing Pumpkins Settle On 'Zeitgeist' Track List
Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan
April 20, 2007, 3:40 PM ET

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

The Smashing Pumpkins have settled on the track list for "Zeitgeist," the first album since 2000. As previously reported, the album is due July 7 via Martha's Music/Reprise. A first single has yet to be specified, nor has the makeup of the band beyond original frontman Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin.

"Is everyone afraid? Has everyone changed?," Corgan sings on opener "Doomsday Clock," a big, loud rocker in the vein of "Geek U.S.A." from "Siamese Dream." The set is frontloaded with songs of this ilk, hearkening back to the grunge era with detuned guitars and pounding drums on tracks such as "Tarantula," "Orchid" and "7 Shades of Black."
O
M
G

IT SOUNDS LIKE GEEK USA (well, not literally, but it's gotta be close).
"Frontloaded with songs of this ilk" -- HOLY ****ING SHIT.

A more nuanced, less abrasive approach is evident on "Never Lost," which has vibraphone and organ tucked into the mix, while "For God and Country" is a bass-driven tune with shades of Depeche Mode-style synth-rock. The album closes with the mostly synth-powered "Pomp and Circumstance," as Corgan's multi-tracked vocals take on an angelic effect.

The band will play its first show in six-and-a-half years May 22 at the Grand Rex Theatre in Paris. European festival appearances will follow through mid-June; the Pumpkins' first U.S. show will be July 7 at the Live Earth concert in East Rutherford, N.J.

Here is the track list for "Zeitgeist":

"Doomsday Clock"
"7 Shades of Black:
"Orchid"
"That's the Way"
"Tarantula"
"Starz"
"United States"
"Never Lost"
"Bring the Light"
"Come On (Let's Go)"
"For God and Country"
"Pomp and Circumstance"
OMG.

Macam

Banned
Diasblos: What/where is RSPAA? Inquiring minds want to know!

And I do love me some Geek USA (which btw, "in the vein" != sounds like), though I'm still a touch more partial to Hello Kitty Kat. I'd love nothing more than to hear that bomb of a track go off in concert.

Rindain

Banned
Cool track names...looks like a lot of political material this time around, which makes sense since the Pumpkins haven't had a chance to address the "new world" post 9-11 in their music.

Any word on the first single?

puck1337

Macam said:

And I do love me some Geek USA (which btw, "in the vein" != sounds like), though I'm still a touch more partial to Hello Kitty Kat. I'd love nothing more than to hear that bomb of a track go off in concert.
You've probably already done the search but... this is the RSPAA. It'll be interesting to see how it fares once live stuff starts hitting again. Back in the day, the SPAA/NSPAA was pretty great, but bootleg trading is always where it's really at....

Diablos

Macam said:

Yeah I know it doesn't exactly imply "sounds like", but there are certainly going to be some similarities in some way. If you like Hello Kitty Kat, you should check out the demo found on Mashed Potatoes... it's a lot better IMO. Structured a bit differently, cleaner sound (although it's still really damn noisy, but you can hear more of it, whereas the PI version is just really loud and distorted), and some soloing.

puck: Why do you think it has train wreck potential?

funkmastergeneral: Definitely... the Complex disc is the best solo album/effort/whatever from any Pumpkin. JCC > Corgan > Iha > MADM

puck1337

Diablos said:
Yeah I know it doesn't exactly imply "sounds like", but there are certainly going to be some similarities in some way. If you like Hello Kitty Kat, you should check out the demo found on Mashed Potatoes... it's a lot better IMO. Structured a bit differently, cleaner sound (although it's still really damn noisy, but you can hear more of it, whereas the PI version is just really loud and distorted), and some soloing.

puck: Why do you think it has train wreck potential?

funkmastergeneral: Definitely... the Complex disc is the best solo album/effort/whatever from any Pumpkin. JCC > Corgan > Iha > MADM
I think that it has train wreck potential simply because it's been so long, and because his solo album was absolutely terrible.

Diablos

TFE is a really solid album from start to finish.

puck1337 said:
I think that it has train wreck potential simply because it's been so long, and because his solo album was absolutely terrible.
It certainly has been a long time, but if it rocks as much as the article I posted leads us to believe, I think it's going to be anything but a trainwreck. Billy hasn't seriously rocked out like that since Mellon Collie and TAFH. Live Machina shows are a different story, but still... I have a feeling this album is going to rock harder than anything SP/Corgan/Zwan in the past ten years or so.

Macam

Banned
puck1337 said:

Eh, just let go of any expectations and give it a few spins when it hits. It could still be a train wreck, although my new standardbearer is DJ Shadow's The Outsider and that's a hard one to beat.

puck1337

Diablos said:
It certainly has been a long time, but if it rocks as much as the article I posted leads us to believe, I think it's going to be anything but a trainwreck. Billy hasn't seriously rocked out like that since Mellon Collie and TAFH. Live Machina shows are a different story, but still... I have a feeling this album is going to rock harder than anything SP/Corgan/Zwan in the past ten years or so.
Ehhhh. I'll be in line to pick it up on day 1, like I always am. I'll land up going to at least one reunion show, probably more than that. But the truth of the matter is that Billy Corgan (directly or through his acolytes) always builds a ton of hype around whatever he's doing, regardless of the quality of the end result. As always, the first tour will be the best indication of the material's quality, though in the past the live performances have often surpassed the subsequently released recording (the Arising! tour was a good example of that).

If it's as good as any of the SP canon, I'll be ecstatic. If it's even a bit better than the Zwan album, I'll be happy. If it's a TFE-level disaster, I'll just ignore it and wait for the next Corgan-related project.

I'm one of the biggest fans, but if darcy is not coming back, well even tho releasing new songs will be cool, but it wont be the same.

Good luck in whatever they may do, they have my support!

Diablos

Shawn Vega$ said:
I'm one of the biggest fans, but if darcy is not coming back, well even tho releasing new songs will be cool, but it wont be the same.

Good luck in whatever they may do, they have my support!
U2K Tha Greate$t, is that you?! :lol

NO MORE BABY DARCY!

Ehhhh. I'll be in line to pick it up on day 1, like I always am. I'll land up going to at least one reunion show, probably more than that. But the truth of the matter is that Billy Corgan (directly or through his acolytes) always builds a ton of hype around whatever he's doing, regardless of the quality of the end result. As always, the first tour will be the best indication of the material's quality, though in the past the live performances have often surpassed the subsequently released recording (the Arising! tour was a good example of that).

If it's as good as any of the SP canon, I'll be ecstatic. If it's even a bit better than the Zwan album, I'll be happy. If it's a TFE-level disaster, I'll just ignore it and wait for the next Corgan-related project.
Honestly, I think we're in for the most rockin' SP album since Mellon Collie. The article not only uses Geek USA to give the reader some kind of idea, but also mentions the grunge era.

Diablos

Apparently he lives in Australia, not NYC or LA or wherever the hell he wants us to think that he lives. In other words, joke character. I can't remember who told me this.

Enough about him, though.

White Man

Diablos said:
Apparently he lives in Australia, not NYC or LA or wherever the hell he wants us to think that he lives. In other words, joke character. I can't remember who told me this.

Enough about him, though.

I dunno, according to his myspace he is a member of the US TATU street team.

puck1337

distantmantra said:
C'mon guys, don't get your hopes up too much. We don't want this becoming one of those legendary meltdown threads, do we?
It's inevitable. Smashing Pumpkins fans are the Nintendo fans of music.

Diablos

distantmantra said:
C'mon guys, don't get your hopes up too much. We don't want this becoming one of those legendary meltdown threads, do we?
If it sucks, I'm really not gonna have a meltdown. But I do expect this to be much better than Machina I. So even if I'm disappointed, I'm not going to be pissed.

Anyway, it's happening, if you know what I mean:

http://blog.filter-mag.com/filter/2007/04/first_impressio.html

Tracklisting:

1. Doomsday Clock [3:41]
2. 7 Shades Of Black [3:15]
3. Orchid [3:58]
4. That's The Way [3:44] <- KEY TRACK
5. Tarantula [3:47]
6. Starz [3:41]
7. United States [9:50]
8. Never Lost [4:13] <- KEY TRACK
9. Bring The Light [3:35]
10. Come On (Let's Go) [3:15]
11. For God And Country [4:51]
12. Pomp And Circumstance [4:18]

Background:

* Produced by Billy Corgan and Jimmy Chamberlin, with Roy Thomas Baker and Terry Date working separately on various tracks.

* Billed as a "reunion", though only Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin are present.

* It's the first Smashing Pumpkins album since 2000's Machina suite. In the interm Corgan has done one Zwan album and one solo album.

First Impressions:

* Tracks #1 thru #7 are all aggresive, up-tempo guitar rock except for #4, "That's The Way", which is our guess for 1st single as it's the most "pop" track with a catchy verse and chorus.

* "Never Lost" is one of the only ballad-y tracks. Like many of the Pumpkins' classics, it is low-key, but still driven by its composition and melodies. Plus there are strings.

* The last two tracks are the only ones which are keyboard driven, with "Pomp And Circumstance" sporting timpani drums, choir-like vocals and squelching guitar.

* Corgan's signature guitar tone is still as rich and forceful as it ever was.

* As we have seen with the new lineup, Corgan's voice is what (supposedly) defines the Smashing Pumpkins as a band. But, much like in Zwan, here it seems that his natural angst is somewhat artificial and his screaming seems mellow in comparison the Pumpkins of the past.

Prediction:

* With the recent commercial success of new bands like Silversun Pickups, it's uncertain whether or not the those outside the core SP fanbase will feel the need to reacquaint themselves with Smashing Pumpkins.
My only complaint is the Silversun Pickups comparison. Protip: Both bands having a lead singer with a whiny voice does not imply they are similar overall. I fell for it at first, too... but after listening to their album, like, one full time, I realized that SP and Silversun Pickups are nothing alike. It's a stupid comparison.

"Aggressive, up-tempo guitar rock" all but confirms that this album is going to smash Machina to pieces and prove that Billy can still rock. If the mainstream will care this time around is an entirely different question, and quite frankly, that's not a concern of mine, even if it goes south. Less bandwagon jumpers at a concert, should I be lucky enough to attend one this time around. I want to hear this album because I love the Pumpkins, not because I love to see how other people could possibly love the Pumpkins.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
this better deliver. zwan was ok, but no pumpkins. corgan's solo record blew shit chunks all in my brain. i still have faith this could be awesome. the first single will decide everything.

(please be like machina II, please please please)

Bebpo

Banned
What's with the TFE hate here? It was a pretty good album and better than Zwan IMO. Had some good rocking stuff, and lots of really personal Corgan songs. Good stuff and it was nice live :D

Diablos

Sweedishrodeo said:
this better deliver. zwan was ok, but no pumpkins. corgan's solo record blew shit chunks all in my brain. i still have faith this could be awesome. the first single will decide everything.

(please be like machina II, please please please)
The first single is the standout poppy one, you might want to hear the rest of the album before you "decide everything".

Djali Zwan (acoustic Zwan) and TheFutureEmbrace were pretty awesome, not sure why there's so much hate. Corgan wrote some outstanding songs with Zwan, even though only two or three of them made it to the crappy album.

Top Bottom