• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

Hey, if it was 1995 you would've got your Chicago Tribune ad, some random news blurbs in Rolling Stone, and that's about it.

Also, people over the past couple months have been hinting at a release date of May, and it seems likely.

terrene

Banned
White Man said:
I've said somewhat jokingly on another forum that I believe the inside of a vagina looks like the ood's face from Doctor Who. That goes doubly in regards to Courtney:

300px-Theimpossibleplanet.jpg
I hear the dangly things are what her ovaries produce instead of eggs.

Diablos

Since we're at the top of a new page (well, if you have your account set up to display 100 posts per page, we are), here's a recap of the important stuff:

-The album will have the "intelligence" of Machina but the "accessibility" of MCIS according to the guys in Kill Hannah. This is good for the actual songs, because Machina I's production killed them. Going for a more sure style will keep this songs in a pure form; many of the Machina I tracks were great demos and awesome live but just not good on the album.

-Roy Thomas Baker (Queen) is the primary producer with Terry Date (Pantera, Soundgarden, others) also involved (although I'm really not sure why, maybe the Terry Date stuff was an entirely different session.)

-ThePumpkinQueen (keeps their myspace running) also described a very "shoe-gazey" sound, which is never a bad thing. She has also said that it's a mix of Siamese and Mellon Collie and that the band will play Reading '07.

-It's not "heavy" like Machina. "Billy wants to shred." Every song was "hit after hit after hit", not like a commercial hit but every song being a "big hitter". So I guess that implies pretty hard.

-Billy: "We don't have time to **** up."

-Roy Thomas Baker: "More than 300 guitars around" in the studio. Backing tracks and guitar overdubs are finished. Vocals were next and then mixing (at the time of the interview). They should be finished Spring '07 "at the latest". Billy has "never been so experimental with his voice, has never put his voice so much forward." In terms of dynamics, it's "even more extreme than Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness." Corgan called RTB and asked him if he wanted to produce.

-Jimmy Chamberlin says over 50 songs have been written.

-Laut.de is saying that the reunion and tour will happen in June.

-Eric Avery (Jane's Addiction) may have something to do with the tour.

-Courtney Love did just about everything but confirm that James and D'Arcy are definitely not in. Too bad James doesn't want to come back. As for D'Arcy, she used to be really cool, but now I think it's for the best that she doesn't return.

There's been quite a lot of news, but it comes along so randomly that it doesn't seem like it.

Macam

Banned
This album better be good, because he's starting to lose me with all his emo-Jesus bullshit he keeps posting.

i am so ready for this ****ing album
my favorite band of all time. i never once thought id get to see them live or hear a brand new album from them, ever. this is so ****ing amazing. like a dream come true. ive been a fance since 2001, so the pumpkins have always been this sort of distant band for me. ive always imagined what its been like to see them live or be a fan while they're still around. words cant express, etc...its REALLY happening

Rorschach

White Man said:
That would sound poetic if it didn't involve Courtney Love.
:lol
FrenchMovieTheme said:
billy corgan better not be penetrating that disgusting vag of hers. he can do a lot better!
It's been said that Courtney Love is the greatest lay in all of showbiz. I find it hard to believe, but something must keep drawing people in.

I never had hope in D'Arcy being in it. She was always a bitch, anyway. I can't get a bead on Iha...seems like he thinks he's in another league, but who knows. He's a mousey guy.

Diablos

tsp gatmog: I know, I'm really excited. I think I'm willing to drive out to just about anywhere to see them play, because I doubt they're coming here and I will NOT miss them this time around.

Ror: D'Arcy did help hold the band together, though. Until she became a drug addict. And yeah, if James wants nothing to do with it, he's shooting himself in the foot.

Kevtones

its either going to be a masterpiece or a high prod disaster

I really hope it can stand with Siamese Dream or even Gish

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Macam said:
This album better be good, because he's starting to lose me with all his emo-Jesus bullshit he keeps posting.
this is exactly why i feel like some stranger is getting ready to desecrate a well-preserved corpse. i hope saint billy knows what he's doing.

Diablos

Kevtones said:
its either going to be a masterpiece or a high prod disaster

I really hope it can stand with Siamese Dream or even Gish
I definitely wouldn't expect a sequel or rehash of Siamese Dream.
And if you set your expectations that high, don't be surprised if you're let down. Yeesh.

Luna104

Macam said:

:lol Billy definitely had a religious experience between the SP break up and TheFutureEmbrace.

Macam

Banned
mattiewheels said:
this is exactly why i feel like some stranger is getting ready to desecrate a well-preserved corpse. i hope saint billy knows what he's doing.

I've never doubted, and still don't, his ability to write some absolutely amazing pieces of music -- I just never cared much for his actual non-musical writing. From the glimpses of his poetry book I had seen, it read like bathroom graffiti, as does much of his posts to the fans. It's not surprising that every time I go to one of his shows, SP, Zwan, or solo, there's always this fairly sizeable chunk of goths or semi-goths who are more wrapped up in pretentious appearances than the music. Bleh.

That's really my only complaint though; if he wants to nail Courtney Love, go for it. His personal life is his own, I'm just concerned with him (and Jimmy...and James if ever gets back to it) constantly writing music because there just isn't anything quite like it. He does covers like no one else and his idea of rock is just inherently compelling to me. I'm looking forward to the new album but I have absolutely no expectations for it. If it's another Pisces, another Machina, another Gish....fine by me. But if I have any secret expectations, it's that it'll be more like JCC's stuff:)

I'm STILL watching that video, Diablos.

Reese-015

Diablos said:
-The album will have the "intelligence" of Machina but the "accessibility" of MCIS according to the guys in Kill Hannah. This is good for the actual songs, because Machina I's production killed them. Going for a more sure style will keep this songs in a pure form; many of the Machina I tracks were great demos and awesome live but just not good on the album.

Wowow, what's the SP-Kill Hannah connection?

I saw this over at Pitchfork today, probably backs up with Diablos posted above.

Last month, we told you that the Smashing Pumpkins were slated to play "some European festivals" in the summer of 2007. Well, they've finally announced exactly where and when fans can, for the first time in over six years, catch the band live.

The Pumpkins will play Germany's Rock am Ring and Rock im Park festivals, taking place in Nuremburg on June 2 at Nürburgring and June 3 at Zeppelinfeld, respectively.

They're sharing rosters with the likes of Linkin Park, Korn, Evanescence, Slayer, Dave Matthews Band, Slayer, and My Chemical Romance. Muse, the Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, the Kooks, Wolfmother, and Mando Diao are lined up to perform as well.

Who, exactly, is in Smashing Pumpkins? We still don't know.

terrene

Banned
distantmantra said:
I saw this over at Pitchfork today, probably backs up with Diablos posted above.

Last month, we told you that the Smashing Pumpkins were slated to play "some European festivals" in the summer of 2007. Well, they've finally announced exactly where and when fans can, for the first time in over six years, catch the band live.

The Pumpkins will play Germany's Rock am Ring and Rock im Park festivals, taking place in Nuremburg on June 2 at Nürburgring and June 3 at Zeppelinfeld, respectively.

They're sharing rosters with the likes of Linkin Park, Korn, Evanescence, Slayer, Dave Matthews Band, Slayer, and My Chemical Romance. Muse, the Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs, the Kooks, Wolfmother, and Mando Diao are lined up to perform as well.

Who, exactly, is in Smashing Pumpkins? We still don't know.
Wow. And so it's official. That's pretty exciting to finally have something concrete. Guess that's when I'll be hearing their new songs, since it'll be bootlegged to hell and back.

I bet they must be so nervous about that show. Going straight to two big festival shows, playing to a not-necessarily-there-to-see-you audience, after a 6 year breakup? Yeesh! The reality of the show can't possibly live up to that, especially given the fragility of SP as a live band. Still, it'll be cool just to have it happen, regardless of how it goes down. You better believe I'm catching them in Seattle when they tour.

terrene said:
Wow. And so it's official. That's pretty exciting to finally have something concrete. Guess that's when I'll be hearing their new songs, since it'll be bootlegged to hell and back.

I bet they must be so nervous about that show. Going straight to two big festival shows, playing to a not-necessarily-there-to-see-you audience, after a 6 year breakup? Yeesh! The reality of the show can't possibly live up to that, especially given the fragility of SP as a live band. Still, it'll be cool just to have it happen, regardless of how it goes down. You better believe I'm catching them in Seattle when they tour.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few surprise shows in and around Chicago prior to heading overseas.

Yeah, I'll more than likely revert to my former freakish self once they hit the road. Seattle, Portland, Boise, Vancouver BC... it's all fair game.

terrene

Banned
distantmantra said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few surprise shows in and around Chicago prior to heading overseas.

Yeah, I'll more than likely revert to my former freakish self once they hit the road. Seattle, Portland, Boise, Vancouver BC... it's all fair game.
I'll do Seattle and Portland is just 3 hours away [the way I drive] so why not. The 'couv is a pain now that they check passports (ugh, the lines) and Boise is what, nearly 5 hours? But yeah, I can do twice. Especially if their setlist is very generous with the 90s selections.

terrene said:
I'll do Seattle and Portland is just 3 hours away [the way I drive] so why not. The 'couv is a pain now that they check passports (ugh, the lines) and Boise is what, nearly 5 hours? But yeah, I can do twice. Especially if their setlist is very generous with the 90s selections.

During the last year of the band, I drove down to Portland twice, up to Vancouver once, and had an awesome weekend in Boise catching Death Cab and Built to Spill one night, and then SP the next.

Hell, I even drove down to Portland to see Zwan.

terrene

Banned
distantmantra said:
During the last year of the band, I drove down to Portland twice, up to Vancouver once, and had an awesome weekend in Boise catching Death Cab and Built to Spill one night, and then SP the next.

Hell, I even drove down to Portland to see Zwan.
Nice! I love roadtrips. Had a lot of fun driving up the west coast during this video shoot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuoZU_5NpYA

Zwan, though? Shit, I felt put out just going to see the Seattle show. I remember Billy coming on stage, looking out at the half-full Paramount and having a really suprised "oh shit" look on his face.

terrene said:
Zwan, though? Shit, I felt put out just going to see the Seattle show. I remember Billy coming on stage, looking out at the half-full Paramount and having a really suprised "oh shit" look on his face.

The Seattle Zwan show was utter shit, but the next night at the Roseland in Portland was awesome.

Diablos

You beat me to it. Finally, someone else posted big news :D

479az9h.gif

Billy and Jimmy, whatever you do, DON'T TOUR WITH MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE.

Anyway...

SP_message.gif

*faints*

It's happening :OOOOOO

Diablos

Some more news:

All The Other Kids Are Doing It

SPLASH! That's the sound of a wave of alternative-era acts hitting the surf. The Pixies' 2004 reunion tour was unexpectedly, enormously successful: a fact probably not lost on contemporaries like Dinosaur Jr., the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Smashing Pumpkins, the Happy Mondays and the many others who have since followed (or are following) suit.

Even considering all that, 2007 does have an unprecedentedly thriving throwback circuit. Why? It depends on whom you ask.

The Smashing Pumpkins' manager says in their case, it's all about the art.

"They've had some amazingly big offers — some seven-figure ones to play certain shows — and [bandleader] Billy [Corgan] has passed on several because he didn't think it was the right thing for the band," said Paul Geary, manager of Pumpkins 2.0, who are nearly finished with a new album and will begin a reunion tour with European festival dates this summer (see "Smashing Pumpkins Drummer Offers More Clues About Forthcoming LP"). But despite those big offers, Geary said Corgan's motivation is not money but his artistic vision.

"I've been involved with bands whose members can't stand each other, and over time they run out of dough and that's why they do it," he said. "But Billy's making a great record, and for the sake of a younger generation that he wants to turn on to the band's music, he is doing it with a band that will more faithfully re-create the old songs than ever before" (a pointed reference to the absence thus far of original Pumpkins guitarist James Iha and bassist D'Arcy Wretzky from this reunion).
:O :O :O :O

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1551284/20070131/index.jhtml

Also, they are playing another festival:

http://www.novarock.at/index.php?novanews

SP is playing with:

PEARL JAM
INCUBUS
SLAYER
FLOGGING MOLLY
ME FIRST & THE GIMME GIMMES
IN EXTREMO
PAPA ROACH
LORDI
STONE SOUR
I AM X
CHILDREN OF BODOM
HELMET
DROWNING POOL
ISIS
MASTODON
BOSSHOSS
FOTOS
AIDEN
THE STAGGERS
ACROSS THE DELTA
LINKIN PARK
MARILYN MANSON
BILLY TALENT
MANDO DIAO
THE HIVES
SUNRISE AVENUE
NEGATIVE
HARDCORE SUPERSTAR

If that's not a good indication that this album is gonna be pretty hard, I don't know what is.

Diablos

Album title and release date, finally!

It's called Zeitgeist and will be released on 7/7, a Saturday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist said:
Zeitgeist is originally a German expression that means "the spirit (Geist) of the time (Zeit)". It denotes the intellectual and cultural climate of an era.
Source: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/41006/Smashing_Pumpkins_Reveal_Album_Title_Release_Date

I think this album title is perhaps their best since "Gish".

I feel like jumping up and down like a crazy person right now. !!!!!!!

Diablos said:
Album title and release date, finally!

It's called Zeitgeist and will be released on 7/7, a Saturday.

[tin foil hat]Well, that weird looking 07 thing Billy drew on my Stand Inside Your Love single back in 2000 makes some sense now. Same with the 2007 end of the world references from 1994[/tin foil hat]

kingofrod

Zeitgeist is originally a German expression that means "the spirit (Geist) of the time (Zeit)". It denotes the intellectual and cultural climate of an era.

kind of makes me afraid that this album will be a response to all the emo-type stuff going on right now, just as Machina was a "you think Staind rocks, well check out OUR RAWK!" album. I'm afraid it will be a response to current music, and, if Machina is any indication, that's BAD. Of course, he did write Adore during that techno phase of the 90's, and that's my favorite one, so who knows?

On a slightly different subject, has anyone heard the Silversun Pickups (sorry, don't have time to read through the whole thread)? I DO NOT care that they sound mightily similar to Smashing Pumpkins, but as far as actual tunes go, Pickups are severely lacking. It just goes to show you can buy a couple Fender Blenders, look for a female bass player, and sing as breathy as possible without coming close to what made the Pumpkins great. I think Billy once said "gimme a kazoo, and I'll write you a hit song." Alot of critics took him as arrogant, but c'mon!? "Lazy Eye" or "1979"?

Macam

Banned
kingofrod said:
kind of makes me afraid that this album will be a response to all the emo-type stuff going on right now, just as Machina was a "you think Staind rocks, well check out OUR RAWK!" album. I'm afraid it will be a response to current music, and, if Machina is any indication, that's BAD.

I get the Machina hate -- but to compare it to Staind? C'mon. It's not even in the same ballpark. Stand Inside Your Love alone makes the entire album worth it to me, though I certainly really enjoy Machina and always have. Seeing them perform it live certainly didn't hurt.

While I'm still waiting to hear who all is in the band, I'm finally getting genuinely stoked about it. Bring it, Billy
(but leave your Jesus at home)
:

pumpkinstone.jpg

Diablos

kingofrod said:

kind of makes me afraid that this album will be a response to all the emo-type stuff going on right now, just as Machina was a "you think Staind rocks, well check out OUR RAWK!" album. I'm afraid it will be a response to current music, and, if Machina is any indication, that's BAD. Of course, he did write Adore during that techno phase of the 90's, and that's my favorite one, so who knows?

On a slightly different subject, has anyone heard the Silversun Pickups (sorry, don't have time to read through the whole thread)? I DO NOT care that they sound mightily similar to Smashing Pumpkins, but as far as actual tunes go, Pickups are severely lacking. It just goes to show you can buy a couple Fender Blenders, look for a female bass player, and sing as breathy as possible without coming close to what made the Pumpkins great. I think Billy once said "gimme a kazoo, and I'll write you a hit song." Alot of critics took him as arrogant, but c'mon!? "Lazy Eye" or "1979"?
Good point about Silversun Pickups. They have some standout tracks on their album... and initially I was really into them, but you're exactly right.

As for Zeitgeist being a response to emo or something, I doubt it. I don't think you should be worrying about any of that.

White Man

I like Machina more than the 2 albums that preceded it.

MC was a bloated mess, and Adore sounded good at the time, but it's quickly become dated. Machina is really long, too, but not MC long, and it has nearly as many noteworthy tracks.

Macam

Banned
White Man said:
MC was a bloated mess, and Adore sounded good at the time, but it's quickly become dated.

Hey, it's all right. You're still cool in my book, though you may need to buy another Mac or something, just in case.

Diablos

White Man said:
I like Machina more than the 2 albums that preceded it.

MC was a bloated mess, and Adore sounded good at the time, but it's quickly become dated. Machina is really long, too, but not MC long, and it has nearly as many noteworthy tracks.
Wow, you like Machina better than MCIS and Adore :eek:

I think Machina was the one with a bit of a bloated mess that had an obsessive production, ruining a lot of songs that were good in their previous and/or live form. Machina 2 made up for it, though. You can be obsessive with the production and turn out something good, or you can do the opposite.

You and distantmantra seem to hate on Adore for having a dated production, and you're obviously entitled to, but I disagree. I still think it's a brilliant album.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't go as far as agreeing with White Man because I think Adore is A+++ as is MC, but I've been listening to Machina again these last few days and it's a still a A+ album. I definitely wouldn't mind if the new album pushed further in the direction of Machina, as long as the songs are still great.

IMHO Adore > MCIS > Machina > SD > IP >>> Gish

White Man

I probably overstated my position a bit. It's not like I think Machina is leagues better or anything. I'm not super fond of Adore though. I liked it at the time, but now I listen to it and it just sounds really generic. It's a relic of the time when every band had to add some electronic elements, even when it didn't suit them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Bebpo said:
I don't go as far as agreeing with White Man because I think Adore is A+++ as is MC, but I've been listening to Machina again these last few days and it's a still a A+ album. I definitely wouldn't mind if the new album pushed further in the direction of Machina, as long as the songs are still great.

IMHO Adore > MCIS > Machina > SD > IP >>> Gish
The biggest complaint people have about Machina is the producton, which ironically is one of the parts I love about it. There's just this certain sound and feeling created throughout the album which was just pretty damn memorable to me.

but wow, more than Siamese Dream? ;P

I actually think Machina II is their weakest album, if you even want count it that is.

Bebpo

Banned
Dead said:
The biggest complaint people have about Machina is the producton, which ironically is one of the parts I love about it. There's just this certain sound and feeling created throughout the album which was just pretty damn memorable to me.

but wow, more than Siamese Dream? ;P

I actually think Machina II is their weakest album, if you even want count it that is.

Eh, I'd probably say Siamese Dream was better back in the day, but at this point in time I like their Adore/Machine production style over the early straight to the roots rock. SD still is awesome, but I don't listen to it as much as these days.

Macam

Banned
Dead said:

I agree wholeheartedly on all the points here. That said, I don't really count Machina II as an album, but more as a list of Machina B-sides.

Reese-015

Machina was definitely the album that blew me away most, it's just so fleshed out in all areas, I don't think I know any other album that feels so mature. It just feels like they put a lot of thought and effort into every area, from the lyrics to the production.

Diablos

I don't rank SP albums, it's too hard for me! I like them all equally. But I can say is that I think Machina is their weakest. I still like it, of course. This sounds fanboyish, but I don't differentiate between their album tracks, b-sides, and even a few demos. Which is why I say Machina 2 makes up for Machina, IMO.

White Man: Adore doesn't remind me of that at all. In fact it sounds way too mature to be compared to the generic electrocrap of the late 90's. Like I told you before, I should send you an Adore live show sometime. It's completely different in approach (it has to be, obviously).

machina is a good album, but probably their weakest, which is saying a lot. you get all-time classics on machina such as SIYL, i of the mourning, glass + the ghost children, age of innocence. but then you get stinkers like apples + oranjes and sunshowers + raindrops. then you have middle of the road stuff like heavy metal machine (which btw is amazing on machina compared to whatever the **** that is on the machina II disk... seriously wtf).

if i had to rank the albums i would do it like this:

1. mcis
2. sd
3. adore
4. pisces
5. tafh (if you're considering it an album... which i do!)
6. gish
7. machina II
8. machina

pumpkins have undoubtabley the greatest catalog of songs as a whole of any band i've ever listened to. that is just an opinion i know but their stuff is incredible. in a lot of instances the b-sides from any given album top a good number of the album tracks.

can't wait for the new album and to see them live again!

kingofrod

Macam said:
I get the Machina hate -- but to compare it to Staind?

No way would I compare them to Staind, but the Pumpkins have almost always been a reactive band. Before I say this, I want all of you to know that for many years I lived and breathed SP, but their tendency to swim in the current makes me nervous. Think about it: Adore came about during the electronica boom, so the Pumpkins made their bleeps and bloops statement. Remember all that "I hate the guitar" talk from Billy? Then, when all these Staind and Korn bands started getting big, Billy wanted to crank up the guitar and show these bands how it's done. You could make arguments for the previous three albums (Gish, SD, and MCIS), but I won't, since I believe Billy was following his muse back then. However, it seems like he got swept up in what's popluar after Mellon Collie, albeit with different results (Adore = good, Machina = not so much.) If he is still the man he was before Machina came out, I am very afraid of Zeitgeist.

P.S. Seriously, Staind and Korn and all that crap are not even in the same league as the Pumpkins, but Billy's big mouth has put them somewhere above these bands and way below Radiohead level respect. The only legitimate argument you can level at SP, in my opinion, is at the lyrics, which are pretty awful on the whole. Not that Radiohead's are brilliant (I think an album filled with direct references to 1984 is lazy), but critics love to tear at Billy's words. I've always been a great fan of the music, and I like the way his words "sound;" however, if you take them at face value, they're pretty high school.

radiohead hasn't made good music since 1996. the pumpkins have!

also, why do you compare machina to "heavy" music? while its true almost the entire album was drop C, that doesn't mean it has anything in common with hardcore "loud" music. songs like raindrops + sunshowers, sacred and profane, try, try, try, with every light, blue skies bring tears, etc. would not be considered loud music or trying to compete with "loud" bands.

Top Bottom