• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

Luna... perfect timing! New FAQ from their myspace:

Q. Who's in the band?
A. Not telling.

Q. When is the album coming out?
A. Soon.

Q. What does it sound like?
A. The Smashing Pumpkins.
:lol

I wonder if James is in. I wonder.

Error Macro said:
They contributed to the recordings in the studio, but did they actually contribute any writing? I was under the impression that it was pretty much Billy/Jimmy with James tossing in the occasional little lead riff or solo.
Billy and James wrote some songs together across Gish and Siamese. I think James had some input for MCIS and on as well, but I don't know how much. But yeah, Billy and Jimmy are the ones that really get the ball rolling with how stuff is either written or modified throughout the recording process. Although James and Darcy probably played a bigger role than usual during Adore, especially for the tour.

ManOdorMachine: Very cool. I'm hoping the Pumpkins do a more jazzy album someday where it's kind of a blend of the Complex and SP. Jimmy's raw drumming sound really is awesome (e.g. the video of him in a dark room playing the Streetcrawler solo), you really don't need to do a couple drum tracks if you're Jimmy Chamberlin. Just shape the sound of the record on the idea that you are going to have a less tracked approach to percussion. They've done that for a lot of songs, but an entire album with a really crazy approach to the drums throughout would just be awesome.

Also, APC is "over" according to Maynard. James has done two things we know of since: he's in a French band called Vanessa and the O's, and he produced an album for classic rock band America. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_&_Now_(America_album))

Diablos

distantmantra: :lol You didn't know this? It was initially reported quite some time ago! And there's a video about it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ho9iNIkK8

Also, if James isn't back in SP, then I'm going to have to say he really did want to break up the band. He didn't even make a statement combating Corgan's statement. He had to get Billy Howerdel and Maynard to stick up for him, making stupid, baseless claims that Corgan forgot to take his medicine or whatever. Hello James, in the age of blogs and myspace, it's not very hard to type something up that says "hey dudes, I didn't break up the band." Wouldn't you hate to be blamed for such a thing if you actually had NOTHING to do with it?

terrene

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:
He's got two snares on there as well. I did the same thing in my last recording and got the best sound out of drums I've ever recorded. I ended up making one of the tracks real punchy and the other one real deep. When I mixed them together, I got the rich bottom end I wanted along with punch and snap as well. It sounds really really good. As far as analog recording goes, I think it's a good idea. Analog recordings kind of have this warm thick tone to them to me whereas digital recordings sound cool, clear and crisp.
2 snares is all but necessary. 2 kicks is pretty extreme. Working out the phasing kinks alone would be a total pain. Analog recording = lol.

Diablos

"The Pumpkin Queen" (she heads the SP myspace) met up with some fans in London. A couple Netphorians went and reported some news.

about 30 people showed up, no emo noobs either. only myself, kahlo and greatvegetable were representing phoria.

pumpkinqueen is awesome.

new record sounds like a blend of siamese dream/mellon collie, but "with a twist" of some sort. generally pretty heavy, as expected.

sp will play reading festival 2007.

Someone else (to check and see if the above claims were legitimate) got in touch with some other SP myspace people, and this is what they were told:

No problem - im sort of still tipsy so the afternoon's a bit of a blur but she's just told us that the Pumpkins are playing reading festival and will definitely tour europe.No specific dates though or other details on which venues in the UK they plan to play in :0)

She also said that The new album will sound like Siamese dream/Mellon Collie-ish and all of the drums for the songs are done. Shes showed us some pictures from her laptop and we gave her messages/letters/cards etc to give to Billy and Jimmy- then the next part of the afternoon was spent basically just hanging out in the pub drinking lager.

i left at around 5.30ish and there were 5 or 6 people left with TPQ

New pics are on the way, too. It draws closer. :D

And I think it's safe to say we can stop worrying about it being another Machina.

Also, some people are claiming that Gooch says the guitarist and bassist have not been picked yet, but Billy and Jimmy would like two females. At first I thought that was kind of lame (marketing), but terrene and I talked about it, and he made a valid point. It's almost even more lame to have the band JUST have a female bassist but male guitarist, because the sole female bassist thing is so played out. There are like no female guitarists in bands these days. The trend needs to die. So this honestly is not a bad idea.

Diablos

He's going to kill his reputation. But I guess he's just not into it anymore, and would rather stay in his French band that, despite having some good songs, has absolutely no appeal whatsoever.

Watch me be totally proven wrong and James joins the band as a surprise. The Gooch rumor could be false, after all.

well i've heard plenty of rumors saying james definitely isn't in the band. but it's always those rumors where someone knows someone who knows billy, or knows someone who works at the studio, or knows someone who delivers lunch to the studio, and it's all heard through the grapevine. i wouldn't be shocked if james IS in the band (i would be shocked if Darcy were :D ), but i am just going to be disappointed if he's not. not because i think the band can't be awesome without him, but i just like his style and his presence. oh well if not, pumpkins can rock... with or without youuuuu oooh james they can rock with or withhhhhhouchoooo

Diablos

Eric Avery was with the band early on, so I think Melissa is out of the picture. She would've been their first choice if they wanted her back, I would think.

Diablos

:D

Then you'll want this, probably. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyGKfqOHPk

Three performances, including what you see sampled above -- a cover of "Fred" by the late and great Tony Williams. NOT an easy song to play by ANY means. I'd buy it if it wasn't so damn expensive. If you have the money, pick it up and let us all know how awesome it is. http://store.altitudedigital.com/home.html

It's not expensive, but for three songs, it is. If you liked every drummer that's a different story.

Macam

Banned
Diablos said:
:D

Then you'll want this, probably. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXyGKfqOHPk

Three performances, including what you see sampled above -- a cover of "Fred" by the late and great Tony Williams. NOT an easy song to play by ANY means. I'd buy it if it wasn't so damn expensive. If you have the money, pick it up and let us all know how awesome it is. http://store.altitudedigital.com/home.html

It's not expensive, but for three songs, it is. If you liked every drummer that's a different story.

Nice find. I'll crunch some numbers and find a way to rationalize that.

Diablos

Just remembered something else she said; It is NOT heavy in a machina style, claustrophobic and layered way, the riffs are discernable and Billy wants to shred. She said that when she first heard the demo's, they immediately blew any apprehension in her mind and it was like "hit after hit after hit after hit" not in the sense of commercial hit, but every song was a big hitter. she sounded genuinly excited about the album and quoted Billy "We don't have time to **** up".

Yay :D

Reese-015

Diablos said:
"Just remembered something else she said; It is NOT heavy in a machina style, claustrophobic and layered way, the riffs are discernable and Billy wants to shred. She said that when she first heard the demo's, they immediately blew any apprehension in her mind and it was like "hit after hit after hit after hit" not in the sense of commercial hit, but every song was a big hitter. she sounded genuinly excited about the album and quoted Billy "We don't have time to **** up"."

That does sound awesome. I used to be a bit obsessed with the Pumpkins... I remember how ****ing excited and surprised I was when Machina2 came out, it was such an awesome gift.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm always in the mood for SP's hardest shit. Jellybelly ****ing rocked.

ROCKED, DAMMIT!

\m/>_<\m/

Thanks for making me listen to it. =)

They need to play in Toronto

I never got to see the Pumpkins

I had to settle for Zwan and Corgan solo...which I enjoyed

But the Pumpkins are my favouritest band of all eternit

Diablos

No, dammit, SP has to come to Pittsburgh. They didn't come here during their final tour. I think the last time they were here was in 1999. :(

http://www.filmmagic.com/ItemListing.aspx?cgl=249678&str=395&styp=clbi&navtyp=gls

Corgan with Alpha's #1 mancrush (well maybe behind Chris Cornell), Dave Grohl.

aaannnndd some blonde chick. I wonder if she's the bassist or guitarist? Can't be his girlfriend, unless he dumped Sierra Swan.

i honestly can't express how ****ing excited i am.
if i have to fly to ****ing california to see them live, i will. shit!
Stop making me jealous :mad:

BJ: I never got to see Zwan or Corgan because they never came here.

And I never saw SP, because I didn't really get a strong desire to see them until like 97-98 or so (got into them in 1996). Adore tickets sold out in like three minutes, and for some reason I couldn't go to their Arising show here.

:(

AlphaSnake said:
I'm always in the mood for SP's hardest shit. Jellybelly ****ing rocked.

ROCKED, DAMMIT!

\m/>_<\m/

Thanks for making me listen to it. =)

NO thank you for making me listen to that. I've always been a fan of SP but not so much that I can match tracks with their names. So out of curiosity as to which track you were talking about I queued it up in iTunes and was blissfully reminded of how awesome SP can be. Especially when they are rocking out.

Diablos

Red Mercury said:
NO thank you for making me listen to that. I've always been a fan of SP but not so much that I can match tracks with their names. So out of curiosity as to which track you were talking about I queued it up in iTunes and was blissfully reminded of how awesome SP can be. Especially when they are rocking out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAdshKBsvDw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5D6zSIkt6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2fJzcNd7Rw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_evk2R4wGU

Enjoy.

Diablos

I was scanning the local Seattle radio stations this morning on the way to work when I came across an amateur-sounding broadcast... maybe college radio, I'm not sure. The signal wasn't very strong. Anyway, the reason I stopped on the station was because I thought I heard what sounded like the end of Geek USA, which indeed it was. After the song was over, the DJ said something like "And of course that was Smashing Pumpkins with 'Geek USA' from their album Siamese Dream. What an awesome song that is." Then a second guy in the studio responded by saying "Yeah, I've actually started to get into a lot of their older music lately. I have a friend who's good friends with Melissa Auf der Maur, who was in Hole, but then went on to join the Pumpkins right before they broke up. Anyway, a few weeks ago, my friend was recommending an album called Pisces or something, which I guess is a rare Smashing Pumpkins B-sides collection, I don't really know. He said that Melissa Auf der Maur was in the studio with Billy Corgan not too long ago down in L.A., and that everything is hush-hush. I'm excited to see what progresses from that."

hmm

Diablos said:

I'm not buying it, unless that happened to be KEXP. John Richards has some contacts within the industry, but looking at their morning playlists for the last week, they haven't played Geek USA.

107.7 The End doesn't play music in the mornings, it's Adam Carolla. Maybe it was 99.9 KZOK, but still, doesn't sound likely.

UW has a college station, but you can't pick it up on the radio, only over the web and campus TV sets.

Macam

Banned

Diablos

Macam said:
Every time you post SP YouTube links, I lose 30 minutes out of my day. Coincidentally, I found what I was looking for the other day through your links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDWo9jWeiyE&mode=related&search=. Sounds like someone gave Jimmy a strong cup of coffee beforehand.
I actually have this in top quality -- it's from a SP/Zwan compilation DVD that a fan made a couple years ago. It has a bunch of SP late-night show performances, even the two SNL ones from 1993 (and they look and sound awesome). IIRC, the guy who made it actually got the source tapes from people representing the networks (NBC, CBS, etc.) They gave it to him for free as long as he promised not to sell it.

The youtube vid of the Cash Car Star performance compresses and muffles Jimmy's drumming so much. The source sounds amazing. :D

Diablos

Notes from The Pumpkin Queen
Category: Music

Hello Everyone!

How is it out in your neck of the woods? (For those of you I haven't met, I'm the Pumpkin Queen...resident editrix for the online SP community.

I just got back from beautiful London where we had a SP fan meet up and discussed some things about the new album and other goods in Pumpkinland. I have a feeling that the 40+ fans who were there will oblige me and comment about what we mentioned re. the album.

As far as shows......I think it's safe to say you can plan on seeing the Pumpkins at some European festivals this summer. As for which ones, that's still being finalized so hold tight!

At the meet up, a lot of the fans mentioned wanting to make a UK SP fan community on MySpace to organize future meet ups, listening parties etc.....if you'd like to do one for your region let me know. The band is talking about creating special merch for the groups as well as possible meet and greets etc. when they come through your city. I'll come out to do some meet ups with exlcusive info. from the band before touring starts. If you start a page, just let me know and I'll put in the top 20 here....and I believe BC plans on naming each individual group.

In the meantime, re. art - feel free to submit t-shirt designs....as that is the newest bit of art we're keeping an eye out for.

And as for the next meet up,
LOS ANGELES (and so. cal. in general),
mark your calendars for Sunday, January 7th.
More news to come!

Anyhow,
I hope you're all doing well. I'm eavesdropping on one of the new tunes now. A shoegazey masterpiece!! (If you knew what a big shoegaze fan I am, you'd know I'm seriously geeking out. The guitars sound like heaven......

OH! and those "Baker Demo" leaks...well, we read it was a Brit band who was behind that. Don't worry Simon, no one's gonna sue you. The band got a kick out of the story....

Here's some pix of the awesome UK fans toward the end of our day.
Hope to meet the rest of you real soon.

xoxo
TPQ

OMG

Diablos

Some important SP news from a Roy Thomas Baker interview (Visions magazine, translated, got this from another forum):

Visions: Concerning work: Today's a day off for you during the Smashing Pumpkins sessions. How's it going so far?

Baker: Oh, fantastic! Billy's really great. And he caters to my love for tons of equipment. He just said "no problem, I'll just bring all my stuff". And he was serious; when I came to the village, you couldn't see the floor from all the flight cases! Old, modern, obscure, there are more than 300 guitars around. What we are doing here is really not the "one guy goes into the studio and plugs his guitar cable into the next best amp" way.

Visions: How would you describe the mood? Is Billy in a good mood?

Baker: Absolutely. After months, we still have loads of fun. The backing tracks and guitar overdubs are done, right now we are doing the vocals. I'll also do the mix. We should be finished in Spring 2007 at the latest.

Visions: Could you tell our readers something about the direction of the new songs?

Baker: Well, it definitely still is "big rock", even if they are right now working as a duo. Generally, you have to say that billy has never before been so experimental with his voice, has never put his voice so forward. That was his idea, and I've backed him up with all my know-how. So the album definitely has a new, additional feature. Also, dynamic-wise, it's even more extreme than Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.

Visions: How did you two get to work together?

Baker: It seems he's always been a kind of fan of me. One day he just called me and we liked each other ... [continues but it wasn't typed/translated]

300 guitars initially, "big rock", dynamics more "extreme" than Mellon Collie, new approach to vocals, out by Spring '07 at the latest. All sounds great to me.

Also, this interview obviously confirms that Billy and Jimmy are working as a duo again.

Diablos

A couple updates.

Mike Garson is not in SP:

Q: The Pumpkins are reforming, and they've been a little hush-hush about who's involved, but will you be making any appearance on the new release from the Smashing Pumpkins?

Garson: I don't think so, no. I really think they're going back to their roots, and it's going to be guitar-based, that kind of a thing, really strong and noisy. Maybe down the line, in a few years if things go good, I'd love to come in again. It's nice when I come in and add things on top of these bands. Bowie was forming a band with the Spiders from Mars when I first started to play with them. I like to bring a new element, sort of like the whipped cream on top of the cake, when I play with these groups.

And, some other stuff (no I don't have sources but I think you can trust me).

-According to a Courtney Love blog, James and D'Arcy are not in. It's not official, but you can stop guessing/hoping.

-Speaking of Courtney Love... seems like she and Billy are really getting along. I saw some pics of them from a couple weeks ago at an event.

White Man

Diablos said:
-Speaking of Courtney Love... seems like she and Billy are really getting along. I saw some pics of them from a couple weeks ago at an event.

Oh please Courtney, work your magic.

I'm sure she just wants Billy to write another album for her after her solo debut bomba-ed.

Diablos

http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResults.aspx?igi=252501&s=corgan&sfld=C&vwmd=e
http://www.wireimage.com/SearchResults.aspx?igi=252374&s=corgan&sfld=C&vwmd=e

2rc1pmw.jpg

So much for that Sierra Swan chick.

Diablos

I dunno. As long as the new album and tour kick ass, I couldn't care less. The two of them seem to have this undying love for each other but always need time apart. Whatever.

White Man

Diablos said:
I dunno. As long as the new album and tour kicks ass, I couldn't care less. The two of them seem to have this undying love for each other but always need time apart. Whatever.

That would sound poetic if it didn't involve Courtney Love.

Diablos

Ha. Well, it's true. Every couple of years they're always hanging out.

edit: I personally can't wait for terrene's reaction to these pics.

White Man

terrene said:
Ugh.

You think Corgan's voice is high now, wait until Courtney's acidic hag-vag melts his cock off.

*pukes*

I've said somewhat jokingly on another forum that I believe the inside of a vagina looks like the ood's face from Doctor Who. That goes doubly in regards to Courtney:

300px-Theimpossibleplanet.jpg

Top Bottom