• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos said:
Ok.

I've been here long enough to know that I can't share stuff that's even only possibly copyrighted unless given consent by the author, so unlike Machina 2, I can't distribute this on GAF because I don't know what it is for sure. However, I do have a demo. It's nothing that special. If it's legit, that would be pretty cool; they've never really expanded upon a sound like this. Really gritty, groovy, jazzy, lo-fi. Sounds neat even if simplistic. Of course, the drumming sounds way too shitty to be Jimmy, unless he wasn't caring (after all, it is a demo). But he can play better than this even when he isn't caring, I think. I still like the jam either way. :D

Is this the same demo you sent me a couple weeks ago?

Diablos

Yes. What did you think?

There was another one that was kinda Machina-like, but then I turned up the EQ and whoever made it mixed in Billy's laugh from the Chewing Gum Adore demo, the sneaky bastard. :lol Fake fake fake.

Diablos

Since distantmantra is too cool for news :)D), here's a blog update from Jimmy:

Greetings from Pumpkinland! Sorry it's taken so long to write! I'm here to tell you that great things are on track for the future. As some of you know we are indeed creating music again. Music that comes from a place so pure it will burn the lies off the very souls of those who try to discount it. We have arrived at a place in our lives where truth and honesty prevail and we are creating from that place. I will try to keep these love letters short and frequent as we welcome you back to a place that rocks! Love JC

Also,

http://www.intheattic.tv/rachel/

Looks like Corgan might be performing with Pete Townshend. They'll be on the same show for sure, but a guy who has filmed SP and Zwan in the past says they'll probably be performing together. If they do, wow.

Diablos

Greetings and salutations! Its been a hectic week for JC as we have been tracking drums non stop. Things are sounding fantastic. Tracking drums is a bit like going to another planet for four or five or nine minutes. We recently finished up working with Roy Thomas Baker, (Queen, The Cars!), Working with RTB was not only an honor, but also one of the best musical experiences we have ever had. We are currently working with Terry Date (Pantera, Soundgarden!) and that is going great as well. The universe has a way of letting you know that things are right by introducing people like RTB and Terry into the fold. It..s all part of one big cosmic journey, in so that everyone reading this is hitching their silver chord to the Great Pumpkin Space Train! Hope this helps clear some things up for you. Don't forget to cast your eyes skyward this weekend.... You may see a shooting star. Love JC

Terry Date?

Yes, you can forget about this album sounding like Machina. This album is gonna be ****ing metal, I just have a feeling.

Also, there's an awesome live version of Bodies on their myspace as well.

live bodies!? link me! i have one version of it on a cd somewhere and it was pretty sweet. i think it was acoustic... the song starts with billy going "love is...." and then building up

myspace is blocked @ work for me :(

i'll check it out when i get home, thanks buddy

p.s. before you say "well why did you say link me!" i forgot they had blocked myspace in the office :D

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Guys....allow me to recap just what Terry has done.

* 24-7 Spyz - Strength in Numbers (1992)
* Staind - Dysfunction (1999)
* Otep - Sevas Tra (2002)
* Deftones - Deftones (2003)
* 'A' - Teen Dance Ordinance (2005)

Producer/Engineer

* Soundgarden - Louder than Love (1989)
* Overkill - The Years of Decay (1989)
* Pantera - Cowboys from Hell (1990)
* Overkill - Horrorscope (1991)
* Screaming Trees - Uncle Anesthesia (1991)
* Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power (1992)
* Pantera - Far Beyond Driven (1994)
* Pantera - The Great Southern Trendkill (1996)
* Soundgarden - A-Sides (1997)
* Limp Bizkit - Significant Other (1999)
* Limp Bizkit - Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water (2000)
* Limp Bizkit - Results May Vary (2003)
* Unearth - III: In the Eyes of Fire (2006)

Producer

* Metal Church - Blessing In Disguise (1989)
* Dream Theater - When Dream and Day Unite (1989)
* Mother Love Bone - Apple (1990)
* Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (1991)
* Mind Funk - Dropped (1993)
* Fishbone - Give a Monkey a Brain and He'll Swear He's the Center of the Universe (1993)
* Prong - Cleansing (1994)
* White Zombie - Astro Creep: 2000 - Songs of Love, Destruction and Other Synthetic Delusions of the Electric Head (1995)
* Big Daddy Official Soundtrack (1999)
* Deftones - White Pony (2000)
* Snoop Dogg - Greatest Hits (2001)
* Limp Bizkit - New Old Songs (2001)
* Matrix Reloaded: Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack (2003)
* Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3: Official Soundtrack (2003)
* Funeral For A Friend - Hours (2005)
* dredg - Catch Without Arms (2005)
* Ozzy Osbourne - Prince of Darkness (Box Set) (2005)
* EchoGram - EchoGram (2006?)

Engineer

Mixing

* Deftones - Adrenaline (1995)
* Incubus - S.C.I.E.N.C.E. (1997)
* Deftones - Around the Fur (1997)
* Staind - Dysfunction (1999)
* Slipknot - Wait and Bleed Self titled Digi-pack (2000)
* Slipknot - Vermilion (2004)

----------

Now ignoring the shitty Limp Bizkit crap (he was paid a plethora of money by Fred Durst), this guy has literally churned out metal classics. Loud. Loud. Loud. Metal.

Metal.

There will be no cotton candy and puppy bullshit, fellas. This record will be metal.

\m/>_<\m/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diablos

Limp Bizkit and Staind are really the only two bands that make me cringe, but hell, the guy has to make money. The number of awesome bands that he's worked with outweigh the crappy ones, that's for sure.

I think the album will be metal but also kinda all over the place, they did after all also work with one of Queen's producers. Haha, they probably have so many songs recorded already... more quality b-sides :D

tsp_gatmog said:
i want to be optimistic, but that is a shitty catalog.

unearth? big daddy soundtrack? deftones? staind? slipknot?
Pantera. Dream Theater. Soundgarden. Screaming Trees. Deftones. Dredg.

All great bands.

Date's working with Corgan and Chamberlin, not Aaron Lewis or Fred Durst.

AlphaSnake

To each one of their credits, Limp Bizkit's "Insignificant Other" and Staind's "Dysfunction" were both solid recordings. Only later on would both bands begin to suck and lack any sort of creativity.

Diablos

Three Dollar Bill, maybe. But Insignificant Other was :\

Anyway, because SP is working with more than one producer (obviously) during different times, it seems like they're getting ideas of where to take their sound. I think it also implies the Billy and Jimmy are taking control of the whole thing more than anyone else.

AlphaSnake

tsp_gatmog said:
i want to be optimistic, but that is a shitty catalog.

unearth? big daddy soundtrack? deftones? staind? slipknot?

People fail to realize that people like Terry Date are SELECTED to do this work. They're approached by the band or company and paid lots of monies to help produce a record.

Edit: For the record, macam, you're a bloody idiot.

AlphaSnake

Macam said:
Two way street there, amigo.

I believe you just called one of the best heavy metal bands terrible. Somehow I even doubt you've as much as listened to Cowboys properly.

FrenchMovieTheme said:
live bodies!? link me! i have one version of it on a cd somewhere and it was pretty sweet. i think it was acoustic... the song starts with billy going "love is...." and then building up

I saw them do Bodies acoustic in Seattle 1996, it was awesome. Also saw them do it normal, absolutely incredible.

Vastly underlooked song.

Diablos

Calm down, kids!

Macam: I'm not a fan either, but they do have a few good songs (IMO). Now think about BC and JC diving into that realm and ****ing with it a little, the results could be quite impressive!

distantmantra: It sure is...

im not saying he's untalented, but he needs to get his priorities straight.
i dont care if he's the best producer in the world, he still makes awful choices. and **** the money, if he had his morals in the right place, he shouldnt care about how much money he's making, especially if he makes these million dollar choices frequently. i dont see how you guys can look up to this douche who has made terrible career and life decisions.

Diablos

Don't be so quick to assume... you haven't even heard any of the work yet. I haven't either, but hell, to say he's made "terrible life decisions" is weird. If you've worked with mainstream rock bands in the 80's and 90's and helped them with their metal sound, you're gonna do it today too, and unfortunately all mainstream metal bands these days are pretty poor. The guy still needs to work.

thats what im saying, im sure the material will be fine. i have faith in the 2 core members of SP. all im saying is the guy's morally inept.

Everyone needs to calm down and wait until the album is out. I don't see people crucifying Alan Moulder and Flood for producing Sam's Town...

Diablos said:
Well it's better than working with Flood and Alan Moulder for the 100th time. Enough of them.

Their actual involvement with the band was vastly decreased following Adore.

I still want to hear the fully Brad Wood produced Adore....

AlphaSnake

tsp_gatmog said:
thats what im saying, im sure the material will be fine. i have faith in the 2 core members of SP. all im saying is the guy's morally inept.

Should I live poor...or waste 30 days of my life on an album that'll suck anyways and earn about a million dollars doing so?

Decisions. Oh the decisions.

Diablos

distantmantra said:
I don't see people crucifying Alan Moulder and Flood for producing Sam's Town...
Haha, true!

Their actual involvement with the band was vastly decreased following Adore.

You and your "Adore has aged so terribly" argument! :D I think it still sounds amazing.

Diablos

Hey, it's a PICTURE! FINALLY!

Hello again my friends. I hope this finds all of you well! We have been working day and night in the studio and I am happy to say that the drums are finished! After almost a year of work, to finally sit down and listen to the drum takes, one after another, was a truly joyful experience. I can honestly say that this has been one of the most musically satisfying and spiritually rewarding trips I have ever been on. And what a long strange trip it's been! Our music has pulled us ever closer to the Heart and the Heart is beating true. We are moving closer to the light now, so about halfway there. I hope you can join us 'O Children of the Sun' Love, JC

p.s. We would like to thank The Grateful Dead, Rush, Billy Thorpe for their guidance in this hour of need.

2rh1n9u.jpg

Halfway there. The Grateful Dead, Rush, Billy Thorpe as influences. Awesome.

From kristinburns.com (obviously she's doing photography for the band):

2wp5oi0.jpg

Luna104

Jimmy said:
Hello again my friends. I hope this finds all of you well! We have been working day and night in the studio and I am happy to say that the drums are finished! After almost a year of work, to finally sit down and listen to the drum takes, one after another, was a truly joyful experience. I can honestly say that this has been one of the most musically satisfying and spiritually rewarding trips I have ever been on. And what a long strange trip it's been! Our music has pulled us ever closer to the Heart and the Heart is beating true. We are moving closer to the light now, so about halfway there. I hope you can join us 'O Children of the Sun' Love, JC

I want whatever Jimmy has been smoking. Peace, love and understanding, my friends.

Diablos

Haha. Jimmy's so content with everything in life now. Which is good to know, because just 10 years ago he basically lost control of his body and mind, leading up to near death. He has really cleaned himself up.

Luna104 said:
I want whatever Jimmy has been smoking. Peace, love and understanding, my friends.

That quote is eerily similar to the peace, love and happiness mantra of Zwan. Not that there is anything wrong with that, mind you.

Luna104 said:
Yeah, he has. His work on Machina is nothing short of amazing. Haven't checked out the JCC yet. Sean Woolstenhulme (sp?) is a member of the band, right?

Exactly. :D

I was aware of that. It still gave me a Zwan love everyone vibe. I mean, it's Jimmy and Billy, how could it not?

Diablos

Luna104 said:
Yeah, he has. His work on Machina is nothing short of amazing. Haven't checked out the JCC yet. Sean Woolstenhulme (sp?) is a member of the band, right?
Nope, not anymore. Sean (Guitar), and Adam (Fender Rhodes) both left on good terms, and the lineup is now Jimmy, Billy Mohler, and a guitarist named Gannin Arnold; from what I understand he's supposed to be really talented. They were probably going to find another guitarist, but the SP stuff happened, and something tells me JCC is going to be put on hold until SP is done with the album and tour (obviously). You really should check out the Complex, the instrumental tracks are awesome, especially "P.S.A." Jimmy has the best solo/side project album by far. Jimmy > Billy > James.

wtf i just heard today that on november 9th, billy played a small show at hotel cafe in los angeles and played new pumpkins songs. why didn't i know about this beforehand? ****ing bullshit, i'm so pissed

Diablos

Might be a false rumor. I see no reports of this anywhere.

edit: Oh, wait a minute.
http://www.intheattic.tv/rachel/

I opened by playing Cigarettes and Housework and then Pete joined me for Sunrise.
Then Mikey performed Plasticine, i joined him for You, and Pete and Simon joined in on Misery.
Then Simon played Comeback, Scaffolding and Sexchange.
Minnie Driver then performed Everything in my Pocket, Sorry Baby, and Pete and I joined her for Fast as you Can.
Pete then performed Greyhound Girl, Endless Wire, Blue, Red and Grey, Marty Robbins, Lets See Action and I joined him for In The Ether.
Then E from EELS played a killer set, i dont know the names of some of the first songs (will find out), but performed Jeanies Diary, Flyswatter, Pete joined him for Its a Mother****er, i then joined them for Birds, and then he and Pete finished with Let my love open the door and The kids are alright.
Billy Corgan then played 4 new songs, and Pete and i joined him for Something in the Air by Thunderclap Newman, i played Kazoo, see photo. haha.
I then sang Jigsaw with Pete and finished with Blue by Joni Mitchell which i dedicated to Linda McCartney.

I can't really describe how special the evening was.
Mikeys set was brilliant - his best yet.
Simon was very energetic and jumped around a lot! Scaffolding is beautiful, and i had never heard it before.
Minnie Driver kicks ass. I told her to keep at it, its difficult for actors/actresses to crossover, but she's a great artist and should be heard.
Petes set was beautiful. He played the new songs with real passion. I love hearing him perform like this, stripped down, bare. The Who are of course brilliant, this is totally different - up close.
E was HILARIOUS, and performed as he does. He's a genius.
Billy hadnt played a live show for a long time, over a year. He was nervous - i like that, it shows real humility as an artist of his calibre. His set was mind-****ingly brilliant and his humour dry and incredibly funny.

2q9azw7.jpg

More info:
http://www.aolmusicnewsblog.com/2006/11/09/pete-townshend-billy-corgan-get-intimate/

Pete Townshend, Billy Corgan Get Intimate

Posted Nov 9th 2006 11:56AM by Steve Baltin
Filed under: Rock

Pete Townshend and Billy Corgan were among those who played acoustic sets Tuesday night for 200 very lucky fans at L.A.'s very intimate Hotel Cafe.

On hand as part of 'Attic Jam,' a show set up by British songstress Rachel Fuller, Townshend was a ubiquitous part of the night. He joined Fuller, her 'In the Attic' co-host Mikey Cuthbert and Townshend's own brother, Simon, for each performer's contribution to the show.

Following a set by musician/actress Minnie Driver, Townshend returned to the stage for his solo turn in the spotlight. Feeling chatty, he poked some good-natured fun at Who mate Roger Daltrey and reminisced about the late John Entwistle. At 61, he said he's finally allowing himself to feel contented. And it showed, as he clearly enjoyed his time onstage, both alone and with Mark E of the Eels, with whom he performed rousing versions of 'Let My Love Open the Door' and 'The Kids Are Alright.'

Finally, Townshend introduced Billy Corgan by saying, "I've always been a huge fan of his work. And this is a real coup for us -- he hasn't done a show in a long time." Though Townshend also poked fun at Corgan's supposed nerves, the singer showed none during his stunning five-song set. In between songs, the Smashing Pumpkin showed off his acerbic wit, quipping at one point, "I'm in the studio with Guns N' Roses writing the final songs for 'Chinese Democracy.' It's good."
:lol

Another source also said Chamberlin was in attendance but didn't perform. James probably would have been there if he is really working with them. It's safe to all but confirm that James will have nothing to do with the band now.

From some blog:

"By this time the show has already run more than 2 hours I think. And only now is Billy Corgan called to the stage. He had been standing in the back with the Smashing Pumpkins' drummer [can't remember his name off hand]. They are apparently hard at work on a new record. Corgan hasn't played live in more than a year and Rachel mentioned this when introducing him. She said she thought he was a little nervous, so they put him on last to make him really nervous. He played several new songs and the room was completely still. His plaintiff voice and deliberately slight guitar work forced us to really listen. He has a dark side, a sad side, that reminds me a bit of Pete Townshend. He is not a man who is able to have frivolous fun. He is an artist doing his thing. It was while Billy Corgan was premiering new material and Jakob Dylan was standing next to me in the crowd that I thought, "This is the coolest place in Hollywood right now!" Rachel and Pete also established a vibe that was so relaxed, though, that the whole thing just unfolded naturally, without any pomp or stress. Kind of magical."
http://andimoved.blogspot.com/2006/11/in-attic-music.html

Diablos

From the myspace:

Hello all! A quick update. We are moving along nicely in the studio. BC pulled off a magnificent guitar symphony last night and it is still ringing in my ears this morning. Eight guitars resonating in one big harmonic handshake! And the drums...........of course! Yes, things are sounding great my friends. Today we will be working on vocals and solos, tomorrow, who knows. We are channelers. Sonic students.

Thanks to everyone who has sent in artwork.
You are brilliant!
Love, jc.

Sounds pretty nice :D

As long as it's at least Billy and Jimmy, who cares if no one else is involved? I don't. How much did James and D'Arcy contribute to Gish and Siamese? (and any of the other albums, for that matter?)

Diablos

Quite honestly, the last time SP ended up being Billy and Jimmy was Siamese Dream. James and Darcy dating and then breaking up had a lot to do with it, and of course Billy's work ethic was the other half of the problem.

The band worked together on Gish (you can even hear Darcy's bracelets in the recordings), Mellon Collie, Adore, and Machina as well.

Anyway, a new blog update from Jimmy:

Hello again!

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday. We have been very busy carving up the sonic landscape with oceans of guitars and a sea of fuzz bass. We are four songs deep and about a hundred guitars in! Every day is a little louder and every night is a little darker! Last night for instance, we were working on a song...a very beautiful simple song we had been playing since we got back together. A song that was never questioned because of its poignant simplicity. Suddenly, Billy looked up and said that he thought we should try to find something else in the song. A different feel. A new approach. Something besides drums, bass and guitar. We had Bo' (our assistant) bring in an old organ to see if that would change the vibe. Instantly the song was transported to a new place . A place of symphonic majesty that made us all smile.

It's really moments like these that make it all worth it.
Sometimes you just have to ask the question...........
At any rate, it sure was nice to play something quiet for a change!

2qs5t3d.jpg

Awesome.

terrene

Banned
Diablos said:
Quite honestly, the last time SP ended up being Billy and Jimmy was Siamese Dream. James and Darcy dating and then breaking up had a lot to do with it, and of course Billy's work ethic was the other half of the problem.

The band worked in full on Gish (you can even hear Darcy's bracelets in the recordings). Mellon Collie, Adore, and Machina as well.

Anyway, a new blog update from Jimmy:

Awesome.
2 kick tracks? Recording to analog? Insanity!

terrene

Banned
distantmantra said:
Brad Wood > Flood. Proof: SDRE and Tortoise's records. Flood is a little bitch who never knew what to do with Billy's voice.

Diablos said:

The band worked in full on Gish (you can even hear Darcy's bracelets in the recordings). Mellon Collie, Adore, and Machina as well.

They contributed to the recordings in the studio, but did they actually contribute any writing? I was under the impression that it was pretty much Billy/Jimmy with James tossing in the occasional little lead riff or solo.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
terrene said:
2 kick tracks? Recording to analog? Insanity!
He's got two snares on there as well. I did the same thing in my last recording and got the best sound out of drums I've ever recorded. I ended up making one of the tracks real punchy and the other one real deep. When I mixed them together, I got the rich bottom end I wanted along with punch and snap as well. It sounds really really good. As far as analog recording goes, I think it's a good idea. Analog recordings kind of have this warm thick tone to them to me whereas digital recordings sound cool, clear and crisp.

Luna104 said:
As much as I love these updates, every time I read one I just think that they're bullshitting us and that it's not happening at all.

I wish Billy would just let us know what the hell is going on with James and Melissa, since we know D'arcy has no interest in joining them at all.
I'snt James playing with A Perfect Circle?

Top Bottom