• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Smashing Pumpkins thread

Diablos

tsp_gatmog has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

CLEAR IT

Diablos

zomg, b0lly is on the new Pink Floyd DVD!

...and after delivering a heartfelt introduction to Pink Floyd's 1996 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (with Roger Waters and Syd Barrett acknowledged by Gilmour), Smashing Pumpkins leader Billy Corgan joins Gilmour and Wright for a moving acoustic performance of "Wish You Were Here" (directed at Waters, perhaps?).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BTC5LW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yet another reason to buy this. :D

Also, I had no idea, but the song "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan is about Jonathan Melvoin.

Wikipedia said:
"Angel" is a song by Sarah McLachlan that originally appeared on her 1997 album Surfacing. As McLachlan explained on VH1 Storytellers, the song is about the Smashing Pumpkins touring keyboard player Jonathan Melvoin, who overdosed on heroin and died in 1996. McLachlan explained that there's nothing constant when you are on the road; everything becomes the same.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angel_(Sarah_McLachlan_song)

can't believe no one ever thought of this:

untitled1copyds9.gif

:D :D

Diablos

tsp_gatmog said:
can't believe no one ever thought of this:

untitled1copyds9.gif

:D :D
Oh yeah! Hahaha

That is one awesome performance (read: drumming). I have it on the SP/Zwan DVD that a fan released a while back. Gotta love the action figure.

all the rockers i knew and loved growing up are now in their mid-30's and early 40's. i feel like i've become those guys i used to mock who would always say "i ****ing hate new music! bring back zeppelin and the stones" etc. and i'd say get with the times you old ****. now how the tables have turned!

FrenchMovieTheme said:
all the rockers i knew and loved growing up are now in their mid-30's and early 40's. i feel like i've become those guys i used to mock who would always say "i ****ing hate new music! bring back zeppelin and the stones" etc. and i'd say get with the times you old ****. now how the tables have turned!

theres still lots of great new music.
get with the times you old ****.

Diablos

From a poster at Netphoria:

23w8rcm.jpg

After I read the Lollapalooza-Thread, this probably not good thing to start with. However, I think, some of you might find this interesting.

A friend of mine (always the wrong words to start a topic like this, I know) did an internship at an advertising agency, which does also some stuff for Warner Reprise.
A graphic-designer there was working on a record-artwork-design (this was about 2 weeks ago) for SP.
My friend couldn't get more information, just that this was an early design-draft, which is going to change probably for a few times. He couldn't find out out, if this is page 1 and 12 of a booklet for a Digipak or cover and last booklet-page for a jewel-case-cover.

The "record name" seems to be "Bleeding Spaces & Angry Clouds" but this might also be a wild-card name just to see how it looks with the font and the text-line. It seemed to be all VERY secret, but he could send me the small image of it.

I'm sorry, this is not a lot reliable and defintive information. The design reminds me a lot of Machina, bit looks interesting.

Interesting!

Diablos

Does it look like Machina though?

Colorwise, I guess... but the artwork? Nah.

The name is... what it is, but they just got started on this. I doubt that's the final name they will go with.

Diablos said:
Does it look like Machina though?

Colorwise, I guess... but the artwork? Nah.

The name is... what it is, but they just got started on this. I doubt that's the final name they will go with.

I really don't care what the artwork looks like or what it's called, it's the colors that evoke memories of Machina.

I just don't want it to sound like Machina-era SP. There are some great tracks in there, but it has really sloppy production values, and generally sounds messy.

Diablos

Update:

www.smashingpumpkins.com

The Smashing Pumpkins are currently in the recording studio with legendary producer Roy Thomas Baker (Queen, The Cars, The Darkness), at work on their first new album since 1999.

Queen and The Cars, two of Billy's influences (especially Queen). Should be right up his alley...

Diablos

Aw. I was hoping someone else would finally get an update in here other than me. :lol

I think this is pretty cool. And before you're like "omg THE DARKNESS WTF", SP is not The Darkness. If they're working with Queen's producer... we're not getting Machina again, this much is certain. :)

distantmantra: We've prolly had the Machina discussion a million times, but yeah, Machina's production killed many (I'd say, half) of the songs on it (most of which were still good live). Easily their weakest studio album. Machina 2 makes up for Machina 1. I'm pretty sure most SP fans agree.

puck1337

Diablos said:
Aw. I was hoping someone else would finally get an update in here other than me. :lol

I think this is pretty cool. And before you're like "omg THE DARKNESS WTF", SP is not The Darkness. If they're working with Queen's producer... we're not getting Machina again, this much is certain. :)

distantmantra: We've prolly had the Machina discussion a million times, but yeah, Machina's production killed much of the songs on it (that were still good live). Easily their weakest studio album. Machina 2 makes up for Machina 1. I'm pretty sure most SP fans agree.
Agreed. The Arising tour bootlegs showed a lot of promise that was not fulfilled on Machina, but I'd also say that the source material just wasn't as compelling as earlier albums.

Diablos

Yep. The thing is, people complain about Machina like there's no other way to listen to a lot of the songs.

Heavy Metal Machine SUCKS on Machina, it's terrible.
Live? During their second to last show? It's psychedelic speed metal. I love it.

god, whenever new SP news breaks, i start listening to them.
listening to 12-02-00....holy shit that is one whicked I Am One.

WE ARE THE MACHINES
WE SPEAK THIS DREAM
WE ARE THE MACHINES

WE ARE THE MACHIENS OF GOD

Jimmy's drumming is just ****ing nuts. Nothing short of spectacular.

I really hope the new album is more of a continuation of the sounds from Siamese Dream.

Sadly, I'm thinking it'll be more in line with Machina. That's certainly not a bad thing, but Siamese Dream version 2.0 would ****ing rock.

I'll probably be pretty content with anything other than Adore.

i'm a little let down by this news (re: Roy Thomas Baker) in that it seems like this one is aimed to be more commercial. after TFE i was hoping billy was going back to his shoegazer/new wave roots. i personally think the RAWK thing peaked itself out after mellon collie; i'd hate to see a rehash of the olden days -- Mary Star of the Sea was pretty much a step back to the siamese dream days and it was suprisingly mediocre.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed that this one will be a synthesis of his shoegazer and rock roots :/

they never had any official releases, just demo tapes and shit. so it'd be a little unfair to judge them. all things considered, i thought they were half way decent

Diablos

It's not going to be a continuation of Siamese Dream.

I don't think it's going to sound like Machina, either, considering the producer. OR Mellon Collie. I think they're probably going for a more metal sound, less psychedelic, more solos, etc. They've never really done an album where one song after another is a full-on metal or hard rock. Remember, the band doesn't like to repeat themselves. Billy has gone on record saying this constantly. You can blame him for releasing albums you don't like, but you can't blame him for trying something different every single time he makes an album.

You wanted Billy to go back to his shoegazer days? Maybe you didn't listen to TheFutureEmbrace enough. It's not as bad as everyone says. There's a heavy influence of The Cure and My Bloody Valentine in the texture of the guitars (and he pulled it off live as well).

I'm not upset about the producer at all. Billy's working with someone new. Besides, he does an awful lot of the work himself, so seriously, his producer is only there to remind him what the final product is supposed to sound like -- and maybe advise once Billy is deep down into the things he's already doing. It's more of a cred thing if anything, really. Flaunting their status of one of the most important alt. rock bands by being accepted by one of Queen's producers, etc.

But yeah, I do NOT expect a Machina sound at all.

Andokuky

Banned
Dead said:
So am I actually the only person here who likes Machina 1?

I love Machina. Bought it the day it came out and wasn't fond of it at all, found it a few years ago and now love almost every bit of it. It's

I of the Mourning
Stand Inside Your Love
The Imploding Voice

3 of my all time fav Pumpkins songs. Wound is probably my #1, that or Mouth of Babes.. which isn't on that album of course.

Man I would KILL for some ****ing SP tickets! They have always been my favorite band and I've only had one shot at seeing them live and I was ****ing working! At ****ing McDonalds! In the ****ing drive thru! And my friends pulled up and gave me one last chance to leave and I said no. Biggest mistake of my life :( :( :(

Anyone know any good places to find some live stuff? I remember there being something like a BC website that had a lot of stuff on it. Is it still up? Guess I'll go search.

Diablos said:
You wanted Billy to go back to his shoegazer days? Maybe you didn't listen to TheFutureEmbrace enough. It's not as bad as everyone says. There's a heavy influence of The Cure and My Bloody Valentine in the texture of the guitars (and he pulled it off live as well).

yeah. i mean, i was hoping he'd continue that, though (im one of the few who loved TFE, and on an unrelated note i loved machina too more than any other album)

i was sort of hoping the new album was going to pick up where TFE left off -- maybe somthing along the lines of machina, which was a synthesis of rock and shoegazer production ... but i dunno, maybe billy is going to reserve his more electronica/shoegazer affairs for solo albums, or maybe TFE was supposed to be the final send-off for that type of songwriting and production

from what i hear from "inside sources" this album is going to be a return to the old way of production .... just seems like a step back to me. billy was always about always pushing boundries and not really looking back

but who knows? the respective producer doesn't have to neccesarily entail how it'll sound ... anything is still possible at this point

Diablos

Friendly bump... some rumors.

This person claims to have talked to Mike Garson recently. If he's not lying, then James Iha is in the band. And like I predicted, they're not going back to the Machina sound:

He came through my work today doing a clinic for the hands free musicpad. Its a digital music stand. He was really cool. I talked to him about the last 2 sp shows. I told him that I was at them and I had bootlegs of those shows. He asked me to send him some copies because he didn't have them. I did find out a couple of interesting things about the new sp. He said that he visited them in the studio a few weeks ago in LA. He [Garson] is not playing on the new record because they wanted to get back to their "roots" and back to more of a guitar sound. Also, he apparently told a co-worker of mine that James was with them in the studio. I didn't really ask him many questions about it though because I didn't want to bug him too much.

This is about some guy that filmed TSP and what he learned:

I've been debating on whether to post this or not because, as the topic suggests, these are all totally uncomfirmed rumors but, here goes:

I was talking to this guy at a party saturday who attends film school in California. We got around to talking about SP and I asked if he heard that they're getting back together. He goes on to tell me that one of his friends is interning with someone who was hired to film the band during the process of the band getting back together, rehearsals, and a very limited time while they are recording. At this point, I go on to give the guy the third degree. Of course, he very easily could have been bullshitting me the whole time but, here are some of the interesting things he mentioned...

-When Billy and Jimmy first made contact with James about returning to the band, Billy had Jimmy make the call to James. Pretty ****ed up if this is true. Apparently, Billy was sitting there with Jimmy the whole time they were on the phone together. If this is true, I don't know why Billy wasn't man enough to make the call himself. Billy has talked to James since then however but, he doesn't know how things are developing on that front. James wasn't at any of the rehearsals according to this guy though.

-Very early on, Billy apparently wanted all 4 original band members back but there is pretty much no chance of D'arcy coming back (he didn't know if it was because SHE didn't want to come back or if negotiations fell through). His friend didn't say anything to him about Melissa auf der Maur, whether or not she's being considered for the band or has been asked to play or anything.

-Besides Eric Avery, there were at least 2 other guitarists sitting in on rehearsals at any given time.

-Besides working on a shitload of new songs, many classic pumpkins songs have been rehearsed and sounded great according to his friend. If this is true, I can't wait to see what they play at their first shows.

-His friend's internship ended about halfway through rehearsals so, he didn't know whether or not they ever talked James into coming back or if they went with any of the other guitarists they were playing with (oh and, they had 2 different guys sitting in playing bass through all of the rehearsals. he didn't know who they were though).

-Finally, he said the crew was asked to record some of the recording sessions, but only on a very limited basis. To him, this meant maybe sitting in and filming for 1 or 2 days. He got the impression that the band wants to be alone with the producer for most of the recording. Not that it mattered to him because, like I said, his internship is already over.

This is all I can remember right now. And like I said, take it all with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the update, I'm always wondering what wacky things have happened when I see that this thread has been bumped by you. It would be wonderful to have James back, but I'm still skeptical. Still, I think there's absolutely zero chance that D'arcy will be back.

Diablos

http://www.popsyndicate.com/index.php/site/story/future_imperfect_mat_devine_of_kill_hannah/

"We just had dinner with him in L.A. four days ago," Mat tells me. Before the show, Hannah sound master Ben told me that Hannah had heard some new tracks from the reunited Pumpkins and so I decide to plumb for details.

"We heard two tracks with no vocals. Just one guitar and drums," he describes to me. "I’d say just the very floor plan of two songs and they both sound pretty epic. The two songs could be… I’d say they probably have the intelligence of the [Machina - the Machines of God] record but the accessibility of [Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness]. So I think it’s going to be just what a fan would want."

I'm not sure what the hell he means by "intelligence".

Diablos

"One guitar and drums", heh. Looks like the final lineup isn't decided. I'm gonna guess this means no bassist and no James.

There's no way in hell that poster above is legit, because if I'm right, it's gonna take a lot longer to get this album done and it won't be even close to complete on 1/16/07.

Diablos

The SP flag was designed by some hottie that is doing stuff with the band apparently (art, management, whatever).

Ok.

I've been here long enough to know that I can't share stuff that's even only possibly copyrighted unless given consent by the author, so unlike Machina 2, I can't distribute this on GAF because I don't know what it is for sure. However, I do have a demo. It's nothing that special. If it's legit, that would be pretty cool; they've never really expanded upon a sound like this. Really gritty, groovy, jazzy, lo-fi. Sounds neat even if simplistic. Of course, the drumming sounds way too shitty to be Jimmy, unless he wasn't caring (after all, it is a demo). But he can play better than this even when he isn't caring, I think. I still like the jam either way. :D

The Pumpkins myspace is getting ready to have some tracks (music player is up), though...

edit: For anyone interested, this is b0lly's girlfriend's new video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGfOsvPmQo&eurl=
Not bad. She sounds like a mix of Tori Amos and Fiona Apple.

Diablos said:
The SP flag was designed by some hottie that is doing stuff with the band apparently (art, management, whatever).

Ok.

I've been here long enough to know that I can't share stuff that's even only possibly copyrighted unless given consent by the author, so unlike Machina 2, I can't distribute this on GAF because I don't know what it is for sure. However, I do have a demo. It's nothing that special. If it's legit, that would be pretty cool; they've never really expanded upon a sound like this. Really gritty, groovy, jazzy, lo-fi. Sounds neat even if simplistic. Of course, the drumming sounds way too shitty to be Jimmy, unless he wasn't caring (after all, it is a demo). But he can play better than this even when he isn't caring, I think. I still like the jam either way. :D

The Pumpkins myspace is getting ready to have some tracks (music player is up), though...

edit: For anyone interested, this is b0lly's girlfriend's new video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGfOsvPmQo&eurl=
Not bad. She sounds like a mix of Tori Amos and Fiona Apple.

Want to PM me with more details about whatever it is that you are talking about?

Top Bottom