• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time S5 |OT| The Brave and the Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

OnceUponaTime-banner-1a7114c2ce9ebf8f8c19bad75ddc6d8f.jpg

Season 5.5 begins Sunday, March 6th at 8/7c

IF YE BE BRAVE OR FOOL ENOUGH TO FACE PREVIOUS SEASON SPOILERS, PROCEED

All 4 seasons are on Netflix if you're new and want to start watching.
Promo Poster
OUAT_Season_5_Promotional.png

Cast/Characters

Major Players

Jennifer Morrison-Emma Swan
Previously the savior and the mother of Henry, Emma has since gone dark after sacrificing herself to the dark magic of the dagger.

Lana Parilla-Regina/Evil Queen
Once the ruthless ruler of both the enchanted forest and Storybrooke, Regina has spent most of her time making up for the mistakes of her past in an effort to earn her happy ending and the respect of the townspeople and her adopted son, Henry.

Ginnifer Goodwin-Snow White/Mary Margaret

Mother of Emma Swan, Snow works with her husband to remove the darkness from Emma once again, but this time as heroes.

Josh Dallas-Prince Charming/David
Father of Emma Swan, Charming hopes to rescue his daughter.

Colin O'Donoghue-Captain Hook
Emma's love interest and former arch enemy of Rumplestiltskin

Robert Carlyle-Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold
The former Dark One. Rumple has since been unbound from the dagger.

Emilie De Ravin-Belle
Love interest of Rumplestiltskin. Belle is one of the few who sees the good in Rumple and hopes to restore him to normal.

Jared Gilmore-Henry
Emma's son and Regina's adopted son. After the events of the previous season, Henry has been bestowed with the power of the author and hopes to find his mother and save her from the darkness.

Rebecca Mader-Zelena/Wicked Witch of the West
The infamous antagonist of The Wizard of Oz, as well as Regina's sister. Her goal in life is to ruin Regina's chance for a happy ending, going so far as to murder her boyfriend's ex-wife only to replace her and get pregnant.

Sean Maguire-Robin Hood
Regina's love interest. Was once married to Maid Marian before she was executed by the queen. She was saved from this fate by Emma and Hook due to time travel, and was immediately killed and replaced by Regina's sister Zelena, who then became pregnant by Robin Hood. Robin has since returned to dating Regina while his pregnant not-wife is locked away.

Old/New Faces
Amy Manson-Merida
The main protagonist of the Disney film Brave. Merida will cross paths with Emma at some point.

Sinqua Walls-Lancelot
The knight of legend. Lancelot will be returning along with other characters of the Camelot mythos.

Liam Garrigan-King Arthur
Ruler of Camelot and owner of Excalibur.

Joana Metrass-Guinevere
Arthur's queen.

Elliot Knight-Merlin
He's a wizard, Harry.

Jamie Chung-Mulan
New recruit to the band of merry men and badass. Has a possible secret crush on Princess Aurora

Andrew Jenkins-Percival
Some guy.

Greg Germann-Hades
He's Hades, lord of the dead, how ya doin'?

A very brief synopsis

Season 1-Emma came to Storybrooke and broke the curse, restoring everyone's memories. Magic is brought to the real world by Mr. Gold.

Season 2-Cora and Hook come to Storybrooke. Hook turns good and Cora is killed by Snow White. Regina also turns good to earn the respect of Henry, who is kidnapped by an anti-magic cult and taken to Neverland. Mr. Gold finds his long lost son, who is also Henry's father.

Season 3-The main characters go to Neverland to save Henry and defeat Peter Pan, who is also Mr. Gold/Rumple's dad. Rumple sacrifices himself to kill Pan. Another curse transports everyone but Emma and Henry back to the enchanted forest, and then another curse sends them back to Storybrooke after they encounter the Wicked Witch of the West/Zelena, who is Regina's sister and plans to use time travel to destroy her happiness. She also ends up causing Rumple's son to die in order to resurrect Rumple. Emma and Henry are brought back to Storybrooke by Hook and Regina defeats Zelena, who is "killed" by Rumple which triggers a time portal that sucks Hook and Emma through. They find a way back (bringing back Robin Hood's wife with them, while Robin Hood is currently dating Regina) and accidentally release Elsa from a Magic urn that was also brought back with them.

Season 4-Elsa's aunt plans to cause all of Storybrooke to kill each other so that she, Emma, and Elsa can be BFF's forever. This doesn't work out. Elsa (and Anna and Christoph because they were there too) return to their world. Robin's wife is revealed to be Zelena and she is also pregnant, and is placed in an insane asylum by Regina. Mr. Gold is revealed to have helped her in her plans and has also been absorbing wizards with a magic hat and is forced out of Storybrooke by Belle, and returns with Cruella and Ursula with plans to find a man known as the author to get him to write them new happy endings. He does just that and reverses the roles of the heroes and villains, but is stopped by Henry, who becomes the new author and turns everything back to normal. Rumple starts getting consumed by the darkness in his heart, and the darkness is removed from him completely to save his life, but as a result, it becomes uncontrollable and Emma binds herself to it to save everyone else.

OT4

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Going for a hot young Merlin over an old guy?
post-28652-thats-a-bold-strategy-cotton-g-g2uB.gif

great OT by the way
very appreciative of the recap

Sober

I only took a quick peek at the family chart but that looks more legit than parody. (Not that anyone has gone to do that yet)

Excited for Mulan returning as well.

I need to watch Brave before this weekend, haven't seen it before!

Velcro Fly

Can't wait! Been watching this since day 1 and it's dipped a little in quality for me personally with how convoluted it has become. Obviously the way the show has gone on they couldn't really plan for such success and had to write around continuity a ton but it's still really fun.

zeemumu

I only took a quick peek at the family chart but that looks more legit than parody. (Not that anyone has gone to do that yet)

Excited for Mulan returning as well.

I need to watch Brave before this weekend, haven't seen it before!

I watched one of the sneak peeks for the new season with a conversation between Merida and Emma. She mentions the events of Brave at least once so I'm guessing that this is post-movie like Frozen.
Here's a pic of Merlin:

CPmt-W3W8AA9iFy.jpg

Thanks! I'll add it to the OT

Well they could always cross paths you know..

For a while, it looked as though they were alluding to Henry becoming Sora.

KevinCow

Banned
Ooh, I didn't know this started this week.

So Robin Hood and Zelena were both bumped up to the main cast? Cool.

But... Will isn't main cast anymore? That's odd. They didn't even do anything with him last season. Hopefully we get an explanation for why he was in Storybrooke and not with Anastasia eventually.

I started falling behind around S2 but is a lot of the early cast who weren't main actors out? I heard Frozen took a lot of the spot light but I loved the old villagers like Cricket and the Dwarves, Red, etc...

mm04

I sure hope they write Mulan better and give her a personality because she was wooden as all hell before. My least favorite character on the show.

Wasn't a fan of how they ended last season but I'm looking forward to it still. Wonder how they'll work Merida into the show. I do have two questions though, not sure if I need to spoiler tag them.

Didn't Lancelot die a few seasons ago?
Given how Mulan has a crush on Aurora, will they ever continue with that? And to add to that, I could've sworn Aurora was part of that mommy group in Storybrooke in a scene last season or am I wrong?

I don't know if my mind brain could handle that.

My SO loved this show but hasn't played or seen me play KH. If this turns out being some huge build up for KH3 I will lose my shit.

Also thanks to the OP for the synopsis. I ducked out around the time
Gould became a dick again,
so it's nice to be up to speed. May watch, may not. Like AoS, not sure yet.

Shenmue

Banned
Haven't seen a single episode, but I LOVE Disney stuff. Would my love of Disney make me love this show or hate this show?

zeemumu

Wasn't a fan of how they ended last season but I'm looking forward to it still. Wonder how they'll work Merida into the show. I do have two questions though, not sure if I need to spoiler tag them.

Didn't Lancelot die a few seasons ago?
Given how Mulan has a crush on Aurora, will they ever continue with that? And to add to that, I could've sworn Aurora was part of that mommy group in Storybrooke in a scene last season or am I wrong?

I spoiled a ton of stuff in that OT outside of the synopsis. But to answer your questions:

Yes he did.
Cora said that she had killed him long before they ever showed up.

And yes they will. I added her back into the OT because they're supposed to address it this season.

Haven't seen a single episode, but I LOVE Disney stuff. Would my love of Disney make me love this show or hate this show?

You'd love it more as a Disney fan, probably. It doesn't just lift from popular fairy tales. It lifts from Disney directly. They even have some of the season 1 costumes on display in California Adventure.

My SO loved this show but hasn't played or seen me play KH. If this turns out being some huge build up for KH3 I will lose my shit.

Also thanks to the OP for the synopsis. I ducked out around the time
Gould became a dick again,
so it's nice to be up to speed. May watch, may not. Like AoS, not sure yet.

Agents of Shield supposedly got its act together and was building up to
the Imhumans.
Also if you haven't seen Winter Soldier yet I'd recommend watching that first because there's some stuff.

And if Merlin give Henry a keyblade to help Emma I will also lose my shit.

I spoiled a ton of stuff in that OT outside of the synopsis. But to answer your questions:

Yes he did.
Cora said that she had killed him long before they ever showed up.

And yes they will. I added her back into the OT because they're supposed to address it this season.
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing how this season shapes up.

the Imhumans.[/SPOILER] Also if you haven't seen Winter Soldier yet I'd recommend watching that first because there's some stuff.

And if Merlin give Henry a keyblade to help Emma I will also lose my shit.

Wait, WHAT? We're going to California Adventure next month. If I get to surprise my SO with a look at the costumes, she will freak out.

Yeah I stopped watching right as the reveal happened, and I have seen WS so I know what's up. I just need to get caught up, I got burned out on TV since my family likes watching shows all together which makes it tough for me to keep my own pace.

zeemumu

Wait, WHAT? We're going to California Adventure next month. If I get to surprise my SO with a look at the costumes, she will freak out.

Yeah I stopped watching right as the reveal happened, and I have seen WS so I know what's up. I just need to get caught up, I got burned out on TV since my family likes watching shows all together which makes it tough for me to keep my own pace.

They should be in the windows next to the animation building on the Hollywood street.

Once+Upon+a+time+tv+costumes.jpg

They should be in the windows next to the animation building on the Hollywood street.

YASSSS. She has no idea.

Yeah, wait till you get a good look at the sizes and realize how tiny/skinny those actors are. It will blow your mind.

Oh that may ruin her mood lol. I'll be prepared, at least.

Y'all best believe I'll be repping the KH II.5 Trading Pin. One of like 3 pins Disney ever made for KH, and I couldn't afford the price for the Disney GenEARation D 4 pack that had a TRON and KH pin.

But enough off-topic, Belle is still best girl.

zeemumu

YASSSS. She has no idea.

Oh that may ruin her mood lol. I'll be prepared, at least.

Y'all best believe I'll be repping the KH II.5 Trading Pin. One of like 3 pins Disney ever made for KH, and I couldn't afford the price for the Disney GenEARation D 4 pack that had a TRON and KH pin.

But enough off-topic

There are 3? I only have two. The 2.5 one and the Mickey wearing the cloak that they sell at the parks. What's the third?

Belle is still best girl.
w8i6ho2.gif

There are 3? I only have two. The 2.5 one and the Mickey wearing the cloak that they sell at the parks. What's the third?

Wait, where the hell do they sell the cloak one? I've never seen it. I mean I have online, but never in Disneyland.

The third was from this set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-GenE...00-Kingdom-hearts-duckTales-TRON/221871738273

That came out this year apparently. I missed it and no way am I paying scalper prices.

It's neat because Disney has never really done anything for KH in the parks, so even recognizing it exists always excites me.

zeemumu

Wait, where the hell do they sell the cloak one? I've never seen it. I mean I have online, but never in Disneyland.

The third was from this set:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Disney-GenE...00-Kingdom-hearts-duckTales-TRON/221871738273

That came out this year apparently. I missed it and no way am I paying scalper prices.

It's neat because Disney has never really done anything for KH in the parks, so even recognizing it exists always excites me.

They should have it at most of the major pin stores. But I know that they have it for sure at the pin trading store next to the monorail station in Downtown Disney

As bad as this show can get I would lose my shit if they actually did, after all these years of joking about it, pulled out a Kingdom Hearts tie in with making Henry their Sora.

So, I re-watched S4 in anticipation, and a few things need a bit more light shed on them:

-At some point between the incident on Bald Mountain and the night Charming and Snow steal Maleficent's egg, the incident with Belle being kidnapped by the Legion of Doom happens. In that flashback, Rumple mentions he got the gauntlet that lets you see what others love most in this world from Camelot. He says "good for me, bad for Camelot." I assume we'll see what happens? Secondly, that flashback implies that Rumple teamed up with the Legion of Doom again. I'm curious as to what that's about.

-I'm assuming the question will be answered as to why Mulan didn't get brought along to Storybrooke with the second curse. She was traveling with the Merry Men, supposedly. So at some point between when she went with the Merry Men and when the second curse was cast, she managed to get out of range of the curse? I mean, Hook outran it, apparently (that bit still bothers me a lot).

-WHERE IS RUBY? WHERE MY GIRL AT?
I sure hope they write Mulan better and give her a personality because she was wooden as all hell before. My least favorite character on the show.
For being a warrior badass she jobbed all the time. I think she actually jobbed more than the Blue Fairy, and that's saying something.
But enough off-topic, Belle is still best girl.
Realest post here

sparkzero

Great new OT, subcribed!

I still don't know how Merida fits into the story. I didn't think her chacter was that memorable. But we can finaly see Camelot.

-At some point between the incident on Bald Mountain and the night Charming and Snow steal Maleficent's egg, the incident with Belle being kidnapped by the Legion of Doom happens. In that flashback, Rumple mentions he got the gauntlet that lets you see what others love most in this world from Camelot. He says "good for me, bad for Camelot." I assume we'll see what happens? Secondly, that flashback implies that Rumple teamed up with the Legion of Doom again. I'm curious as to what that's about.

The Bald mountain flashback happend before the Camelot gauntlet story, they just showed it in reverse order.

-WHERE IS RUBY? WHERE MY GIRL AT?
The writers confirmed she will return this season.

The Bald mountain flashback happend before the Camelot gauntlet story, they just showed it in reverse order.
It didn't, because in the gauntlet flashback, they all know each other. However when they're all meeting to head over to Bald Mountain, they're all meeting for the first time. Not only that, but he doesn't have Belle before Bald Mountain.

The writers confirmed she will return this season.

FINALLY

Sober

Alright, got around to watching Brave. Now I should be good to go.

But watching it this close, I dunno if I can divorce Kelly MacDonald's voice from Merida now. Hoping they have this Merida have a proper Scottish accent!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom