• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time S5 |OT| The Brave and the Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeemumu

Alright, got around to watching Brave. Now I should be good to go.

But watching it this close, I dunno if I can divorce Kelly MacDonald's voice from Merida now. Hoping they have this Merida have a proper Scottish accent!

The actress is actually Scottish so it should be fine.

Back when the first Merdia promo came out I looked up the actress and didn't realize she was on Atlantis because of how different she looked.

zeemumu

The season premiere is at 8PM PST, but before that they're doing what is either a recap or a behind the scenes episode called "The Dark Swan Rises"

They did that last year too (and probably years before that I'm forgetting) it's not really worth watching unless you need a recap.

KevinCow

Banned
They did that last year too (and probably years before that I'm forgetting) it's not really worth watching unless you need a recap.

Yeah, they do recap episodes at the beginning of every season and usually another one after the mid-season break.

Though one of the ones last year had a little big of "Making of" stuff thrown into the recap, and some of it was interesting. Like did you know that the clock tower is CGI?

Sober

That's impressive because that looks good compared to the occasion OUAT obvious greenscreen scenes.

Or do you mean the exterior library? Wouldn't that just be compositing or whatever?

zeemumu

That's impressive because that looks good compared to the occasion OUAT obvious greenscreen scenes.

Or do you mean the exterior library? Wouldn't that just be compositing or whatever?

The top section of the building is CGI. The real building has no clock tower.

5975941871_3b4bfa5675_b.jpg

404-00132-570x321.jpg

sangreal

first season I'm watching live, after having watched the first 4 over the summer. Shame it seems this thread is pretty dead

Lebron

They been nailing these one and done characters as of late. Elsa and Anna were spot on and now Merida is spot on.

Lebron

I'm amazed they've
lost their memories again.
I guess this is just a normal thing now every season lol

KevinCow

Banned
Why did they bring the baby and Roland with them? Surely one of them could've stayed behind to look after them, right?

Sober

I'm amazed they've
lost their memories again.
I guess this is just a normal thing now every season lol
The only time the show didn't really do it (S2) it kinda sucked anyway. I really don't mind if they just up and set it up to do so. I guess it might feel a bit tired or stretched out, but whatever.

Also LOL at the dwarves basically saying they wanna stop being background decoration.

The only thing that bothered me about Merida is she has the blue dress, not the green one from the movie. Oh and no bracer, that's a huge oversight, especially since the movie makes her out to be a really good archer.

zeemumu

Ah, finally we get to see Camelo-
82fbfe5fbc236a055907fdd24f7c4596.jpg

And I wasn't expecting them to pull a
Batman Arkham Knight with Emma

I'm waiting for Ansem to show up for some reason.

Did Maleficent leave town? Otherwise why go to Zelena

I doubt that they brought back Lancelot and introduced Merida for one episode so we're probably gonna have a flashback and flash-sideways from that flashback.

The real answer is that it's not in the script. But the most likely in-universe reason is that she's on par with/weaker than Regina, and Zelena's the only one top-tier enough to do it since it was intended for the most powerful of magic users.

Sober

Maleficent showing up would be amazing though, although Rebecca Mader probably would outchew the scenery in that face off.

sparkzero

So the dagger ist part of Excalibur? That blew my mind, what a great idea!

Liked the episode but the ending destroyed almost everything they setup with Emma and her journey to fight the darkness.

Maleficent is "too soft" now

zeemumu

So the dagger ist part of Excalibur? That blew my mind, what a great idea!

Liked the episode but the ending destroyed almost everything they setup with Emma and her journey to fight the darkness.

Eh...I mean the first promo that they showed of this season was
Emma stuck in the dark one prison and ripping out a guard's heart,
so I already knew what was coming.

sparkzero

Eh...I mean the first promo that they showed of this season was
Emma stuck in the dark one prison and ripping out a guard's heart,
so I already knew what was coming.

Yeah, but not this episode. Didn't need the time jump, but I guess it was the only way they could incorporate more flashbacks.

Why did they bring the baby and Roland with them? Surely one of them could've stayed behind to look after them, right?
Lol I wondered this too. Watching Snow and Charming do a shitty job of protecting their baby in a cyclone was awful. To be fair they are pretty crappy parents though.

Only thing I liked about the episode was the Excalibur dagger bit.

I think the biggest disappointment for me was just that they didn't make Emma seem threatening at all. Her entrance was silly. It was about the same quality as the good/evil swap way back when.

So, I liked this premiere. I lot of cool lore reveals: Someone (implied to be Merlin) visiting Emma to inform her of a prophecy (an event she clearly doesn't recall); Excalibur and the Dark One's Dagger are actually the same blade. My guess is that Excalibur is pure light, and was used by Merlin to capture the Darkness; that portals created to go to other worlds can be redirected to a more specific location. Makes me curious to see if mirrors could go to places other than Wonderland.

Now, I can't remember, but did Gold hallucinate Zozo when he originally became the Dark One? Also, I'm a bit confused about the Apprentice's Wand and the rules on that; it requires both Light and Dark magic to fuel it. Clearly the Apprentice only uses Light magic, and Zelena strictly uses Dark magic. So why is it that Zelena could open it and Regina can't? Is Regina not capable of using Dark magic anymore? I don't really buy that. Is it one of those "pure evil or pure good" sort of things? Or did I miss the explanation entirely?

As for the plot in this episode, I have to say I'm not a fan of the reused "goes to Misthaven, comes back, doesn't remember time spent in Misthaven" device from S3. I also hope that Merida's plot thread comes back into the fold. I wouldn't mind it if this arc was similar to the first half of S4, since that has been my favorite arc of the show so far (and I've never even seen Frozen).

That being said, a solid premiere and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Very optimistic.

Maleficent can't leave, but they showed in the previous season that Maleficent is mending her ways. In fact, she's been trying to do so since she found out she was pregnant. Only reason she teamed up with Gold was because she figured he would get her daughter to her. My guess is she's off with Lily.
Yeah, but not this episode. Didn't need the time jump, but I guess it was the only way they could incorporate more flashbacks.

Didn't need it though. They have plenty of backstory elements to push forward. Mulan and Gold's time in Camelot, as well as his time with the Legion of Doom before the Curse and after Bald Mountain, are some that come to mind. The skip was rather unnecessary. The first arc should have been keeping the Darkness from taking Emma, then the second should have been them failing and having to stop Emma entirely.

Honestly, my big issue with this season so far, is that this season is dealing with the "primordial" forces of the world, so to speak, so if this isn't the last season, I'm worried about the following arcs. It's one of the biggest potential screw-ups of any fantasy show: Fight god, then who is left to fight?

FStubbs

So, I liked this premiere. I lot of cool lore reveals: Someone (implied to be Merlin) visiting Emma to inform her of a prophecy (an event she clearly doesn't recall); Excalibur and the Dark One's Dagger are actually the same blade. My guess is that Excalibur is pure light, and was used by Merlin to capture the Darkness; that portals created to go to other worlds can be redirected to a more specific location. Makes me curious to see if mirrors could go to places other than Wonderland.

Now, I can't remember, but did Gold hallucinate Zozo when he originally became the Dark One? Also, I'm a bit confused about the Apprentice's Wand and the rules on that; it requires both Light and Dark magic to fuel it. Clearly the Apprentice only uses Light magic, and Zelena strictly uses Dark magic. So why is it that Zelena could open it and Regina can't? Is Regina not capable of using Dark magic anymore? I don't really buy that. Is it one of those "pure evil or pure good" sort of things? Or did I miss the explanation entirely?

As for the plot in this episode, I have to say I'm not a fan of the reused "goes to Misthaven, comes back, doesn't remember time spent in Misthaven" device from S3. I also hope that Merida's plot thread comes back into the fold. I wouldn't mind it if this arc was similar to the first half of S4, since that has been my favorite arc of the show so far (and I've never even seen Frozen).

That being said, a solid premiere and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season. Very optimistic.

Maleficent can't leave, but they showed in the previous season that Maleficent is mending her ways. In fact, she's been trying to do so since she found out she was pregnant. Only reason she teamed up with Gold was because she figured he would get her daughter to her. My guess is she's off with Lily.

Didn't need it though. They have plenty of backstory elements to push forward. Mulan and Gold's time in Camelot, as well as his time with the Legion of Doom before the Curse and after Bald Mountain, are some that come to mind. The skip was rather unnecessary. The first arc should have been keeping the Darkness from taking Emma, then the second should have been them failing and having to stop Emma entirely.

Honestly, my big issue with this season so far, is that this season is dealing with the "primordial" forces of the world, so to speak, so if this isn't the last season, I'm worried about the following arcs. It's one of the biggest potential screw-ups of any fantasy show: Fight god, then who is left to fight?

They've already beaten the author. So ... who knows?

They've already beaten the author. So ... who knows?

Yeah, but the Author was merely someone appointed by Merlin. Like a prophet appointed by God. So the Author didn't have near the level of power that Merlin clearly holds. If the Author had been the Sorcerer, that would have been something else. Since that wasn't the case, it's fine. I buy it. This is essentially God, as far as we know; it's an entirely different ballgame now.

Emma's hair looks ridiculous. White is one thing but the kind of grey she's sporting is the sort I'd expect on an elderly woman.

I honestly preferred her in her previous outfit as she struggled with the temptation of using dark magic.

zeemumu

Yeah, but the Author was merely someone appointed by Merlin. Like a prophet appointed by God. So the Author didn't have near the level of power that Merlin clearly holds. If the Author had been the Sorcerer, that would have been something else. Since that wasn't the case, it's fine. I buy it. This is essentially God, as far as we know; it's an entirely different ballgame now.

I wonder if Yen Sid will every show up.

I wonder if Yen Sid will every show up.
Probs not. Outside of that, he's just the Sorcerer. It seems like they've combined the Sorcerer and Merlin, so I doubt it's happening.
I think there's a good chance. Weren't the animated brooms from Fantasia already in there?
S4 went very Fantasia. Chernabog, the brooms, and the Hat were all in there. And the Apprentice is a major character.

Speaking of, couldn't they just absorb Emma into the Hat and keep her there for safe keeping? Also, why was Chernabog in there? I do hope they go back to that?

Yeah, baby Neil and Robin Hood's kid being there was a bit of a WTF moment but they have even been shown to be the brightest bunch. The dagger being part of Excalibur was cool way to tie things together.

KevinCow

Banned
I wouldn't mind it if this arc was similar to the first half of S4, since that has been my favorite arc of the show so far (and I've never even seen Frozen).

Wait, really? You should probably watch Frozen, then. I imagine it would make a lot of things make more sense.

zeemumu

Probs not. Yen Sid is only his name in the KH franchise. Outside of that, he's just the Sorcerer. It seems like they've combined the Sorcerer and Merlin, so I doubt it's happening.

S4 went very Fantasia. Chernabog, the brooms, and the Hat were all in there. And the Apprentice is a major character.

Speaking of, couldn't they just absorb Emma into the Hat and keep her there for safe keeping? Also, why was Chernabog in there? I do hope they go back to that?

I'm pretty sure he got that name prior to KH.

So I've constructed an early theory:

So, Merlin tells Emma not to draw Excalibur. My guess is that he knew she'd become the Dark One, therefore attempting to draw Excalibur would kill her (as it did with that one knight), or if she had not taken the Darkness on, then she would have been worthy and would've kept Arthur from becoming King which Merlin didn't want. Now, my guess is that Excalibur will obviously have a very huge role to play in the fate of the Darkness. This role is obviously unknown.

We should start by asking the question: Why did the Dark Ones all want to remove the Dagger from themselves? According to the Apprentice, all Dark Ones tried to, and all of them failed. Gold explains that freeing himself from the Dagger would "fix" his heart problem somehow, but that doesn't make any sense. Since his heart blackening is from all the dark deeds he did, and according to him, the Dark One would still live on, but Rumplestilzkin would be no more. Basically, the Darkness would take over his body. So, why would removing himself from the Dagger fix anything? My guess is that the Dagger is some kind of seal. Made to prevent the Darkness from ever growing too strong. Anybody could control the Dark One via the Dagger, and one could kill the previous Dark One and become the new one. My guess is that this would keep the Darkness from accumulating too much power, for if allowed to run freely, they would commit a crapload of evil deeds, but if they were under control then the Darkness would stay at a controlled pace. Killing a Dark One and taking on their power would reset the Darkness based on the heart taking on that power. The reason it got so bad was because Rumple went so long without being controlled and without giving up his power. Because of this we know that Rumple almost succeeded in removing the Dagger. Somehow, he clearly knew the spell that none of the other Dark Ones did. Where did he get from? He couldn't have simply known it. Doesn't make sense. He had to get it from somewhere (my guess is Camelot).

So, what would remove the Dagger? My guess is that removing the Dagger would render it inert, and the Darkness could roam free. I'm assuming that because of this, the Darkness is manipulating the Dark One, and it's not really up to the Dark One. It explains Gold's "ghost" haunting Emma and still explaining abilities to her.

So the real question becomes: what role does Excalibur play? I can't say. Either the Dark One can only be killed by Excalibur, or something. This may explain why Emma hates everyone so much after they come back (aside from Dark magic evilness). She claims they did something to her, doesn't say, but the Dagger still exists. I also have a guess that they may try to convince Henry to write Emma into the book and trap her there. Or trap the Darkness there. I mean, all he did was break the quill. Gold states that a quill can be constructed from enchanted wood. Plus, we know that the ink is pure darkness (which I still don't get, but maybe I missed the explanation. Twice), so they could just take Emma's blood. We know Henry is the Author, and he has the Heart of the Truest Believer, so maybe that makes him a Super Author?

I dunno. Just spitballing.
Wait, really? You should probably watch Frozen, then. I imagine it would make a lot of things make more sense.
It made perfect sense to me. The movie is really just backstory that I really don't need at that point. I mean, they explain enough about it: Elsa put Arendelle in eternal winter; Hans tried to take advantage of Anna; Their parents died. Really, you can treat the first arc as a sequel, but it's done in a way that the movie isn't necessary. Especially since it primarily focuses on Ingrid and the other OUaT characters anyways.
I'm pretty sure he got that name prior to KH.

Yes he did. I was incorrect in my previous post then.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Really good premiere. I wonder if they'll do two half season stories again like the last few seasons, or pull a Season One and have Emma be the villain for all of Season 5.

Loved Dark Emma's look with the leather, hair and bleached eyebrows. I just wish they'd make her face more scaly, like Rumple.

Rodin

Thought it was perfect until the last 2-3 minutes when they came back to Storybrooke again, without their memories... again. Would've vastly preferred if they used Camelot as the main setting, at least for the first half of the season, like they did with Neverland back in S3.

Merida was perfect and the actress is gorgeous.

Really good premiere. I wonder if they'll do two half season stories again like the last few seasons, or pull a Season One and have Emma be the villain for all of Season 5.

Loved Dark Emma's look with the leather, hair and bleached eyebrows. I just wish they'd make her face more scaly, like Rumple.

That takes some time, Rumple's face wasn't like that at first.

zeemumu

So I've constructed an early theory:

So, Merlin tells Emma not to draw Excalibur. My guess is that he knew she'd become the Dark One, therefore attempting to draw Excalibur would kill her (as it did with that one knight), or if she had not taken the Darkness on, then she would have been worthy and would've kept Arthur from becoming King which Merlin didn't want. Now, my guess is that Excalibur will obviously have a very huge role to play in the fate of the Darkness. This role is obviously unknown.

We should start by asking the question: Why did the Dark Ones all want to remove the Dagger from themselves? According to the Apprentice, all Dark Ones tried to, and all of them failed. Gold explains that freeing himself from the Dagger would "fix" his heart problem somehow, but that doesn't make any sense. Since his heart blackening is from all the dark deeds he did, and according to him, the Dark One would still live on, but Rumplestilzkin would be no more. Basically, the Darkness would take over his body. So, why would removing himself from the Dagger fix anything? My guess is that the Dagger is some kind of seal. Made to prevent the Darkness from ever growing too strong. Anybody could control the Dark One via the Dagger, and one could kill the previous Dark One and become the new one. My guess is that this would keep the Darkness from accumulating too much power, for if allowed to run freely, they would commit a crapload of evil deeds, but if they were under control then the Darkness would stay at a controlled pace. Killing a Dark One and taking on their power would reset the Darkness based on the heart taking on that power. The reason it got so bad was because Rumple went so long without being controlled and without giving up his power. Because of this we know that Rumple almost succeeded in removing the Dagger. Somehow, he clearly knew the spell that none of the other Dark Ones did. Where did he get from? He couldn't have simply known it. Doesn't make sense. He had to get it from somewhere (my guess is Camelot).

So, what would remove the Dagger? My guess is that removing the Dagger would render it inert, and the Darkness could roam free. I'm assuming that because of this, the Darkness is manipulating the Dark One, and it's not really up to the Dark One. It explains Gold's "ghost" haunting Emma and still explaining abilities to her.

So the real question becomes: what role does Excalibur play? I can't say. Either the Dark One can only be killed by Excalibur, or something. This may explain why Emma hates everyone so much after they come back (aside from Dark magic evilness). She claims they did something to her, doesn't say, but the Dagger still exists. I also have a guess that they may try to convince Henry to write Emma into the book and trap her there. Or trap the Darkness there. I mean, all he did was break the quill. Gold states that a quill can be constructed from enchanted wood. Plus, we know that the ink is pure darkness (which I still don't get, but maybe I missed the explanation. Twice), so they could just take Emma's blood. We know Henry is the Author, and he has the Heart of the Truest Believer, so maybe that makes him a Super Author?

I dunno. Just spitballing.

Excalibur is a sword of light. It would make a perfect prison for such a powerful dark entity. Merlin probably replanted the rest of the sword in the stone for Arthur because he knew that he'd need it in the future.

And yeah, severing his tie to the dagger wouldn't allow Rumple to be controlled anymore. I think that's why he starts actively attempting to free himself in season 4; because of what happened with Zelena and Baelfire. Rumple is power obsessed and very paranoid. I don't think that it was that hard to influence him to do anything. Probably runs on the same path of logic as The Lich King or Arkham Knight Spoilers
the Joker toxin influencing Batman. Joker would just show up as a hallucination and try to goad Batman into doing awful things, and at specific times would just straight up hijack his body.
. The darkness was a living entity. Why you become the dark one you are essentially its host.

Yay for yet another hilariously contrived flashback mechanic! What, this is the 3rd time they've pulled this "oh we all lost our memories" thing?

Yay for yet another hilariously contrived flashback mechanic! What, this is the 3rd time they've pulled this "oh we all lost our memories" thing?

3rd, 4th, 12th I lost count but I never tried to count in the first place so... Yeah it's a pretty tired plot device at this point.

1) S1's entire plot. Fairy tail town where no one remembers life before the town (save for a select few) and everyone is stuck in a time loop (save for a select few).

2)S2: If you leave the town, you can come back, but you forget who you were (assuming you were originally from the Forest and never left Storybrooke and had no magical protection).

3) The second Dark Curse cast removed the memories of the brief time spent between Pan's curse and the casting of the second Dark Curse.

4) This current season.

Personally, I'd really only say this is the second time they've done this, since I don't count S2's plot device (since it only happened to a couple characters) and S1 (since it's the original premise of the show).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom