• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon A Time S5 |OT| The Brave and the Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I wanted to kill myself when I realized this was a Henry focused episode, though the twist at the end with the dream catcher was decent.

Anyone disappointed in Dark Emma so far? She looks the part but they haven't allowed her to do anything truly heinous to make her deserving of the title "The Dark One". She's supposed to be more powerful than Rumple since unlike him, Emma already was a strong magic user before turning. She needs to kill off a major character or something.

zeemumu

I wanted to kill myself when I realized this was a Henry focused episode, though the twist at the end with the dream catcher was decent.

Anyone disappointed in Dark Emma so far? She looks the part but they haven't allowed her to do anything truly heinous to make her deserving of the title "The Dark One". She's supposed to be more powerful than Rumple since unlike him, Emma already was a strong magic user before turning. She needs to kill off a major character or something.

I think they're setting it up with her screwing things over with Henry and Hook. The last thing Merlin asked her was if she was ready to let go of the dark magic. I'm willing to bet that something happened to change her mind at the last minute, causing her to fully embrace the darkness set her plan in motion. I think she'll get that same option again to save her relationships at the end of the arc...and then we find out that the original dark one was Ansem, Seeker of Darkness and the one that Merlin fought is the girlfriend that he assumes is dead.

So ... did they forget that there should be video of what happened in the jail cell or did I forget something that happened to that recorder that would stop it from working????

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So ... did they forget that there should be video of what happened in the jail cell or did I forget something that happened to that recorder that would stop it from working????

they've just completely dropped this it doesnt make sense. Sloppy police service.
I'm assuming it will come back into it at some point, no way Arthur would know about cctv or anything so I'm guessing it has to bite him in the ass

But I want the lame Henry/Emma drama. Henry's the only thing left for her and I want to see what happens when she loses it in comparison to Gold and Regina.
Agreed. Henry is an awful character, but he's the only thing in the show that makes Emma's character important. I was cringing the entire way through this episode, but watching Emma break her own son's heart was worth it.

Up until now I really hated the Emma is the Dark One premise. It was going no where, lol.

I don't know, I kind of wish it was something better than just that little manipulation, granted ripping out the girl's heart probably did play a part in Henry's reaction.

I just watched the past three episodes in a row:

So...I'm confused, why does she need Gold to pull out the sword? How is simply making him brave (goddamnit that reference) going to make him a hero? I get that him being a blank slate is going to mold him into one, but if a hero is required, doesn't he need to actually DO something heroic in order for that to work? I assume she's making him brave enough to actually perform the task, so I suppose I'm curious as to what the task in question is. Also, magic house full of dreamcatchers is interesting.

Also, I appreciate the Arthur turn.

I'm also still confused as to how the Darkness was inside the Dark One's Vault despite being bound to Rumple.

And why the Chernabog was in the Sorcerer's Hat. Granted, that's been unanswered since mid-S4 but I still wanna know, damn it!

zeemumu

I just watched the past three episodes in a row:

So...I'm confused, why does she need Gold to pull out the sword? How is simply making him brave (goddamnit that reference) going to make him a hero? I get that him being a blank slate is going to mold him into one, but if a hero is required, doesn't he need to actually DO something heroic in order for that to work? I assume she's making him brave enough to actually perform the task, so I suppose I'm curious as to what the task in question is. Also, magic house full of dreamcatchers is interesting.

Also, I appreciate the Arthur turn.

I'm also still confused as to how the Darkness was inside the Dark One's Vault despite being bound to Rumple.

And why the Chernabog was in the Sorcerer's Hat. Granted, that's been unanswered since mid-S4 but I still wanna know, damn it!

Dreamcatchers seem to be Emma's equivalent to Rumple's straw-spinning.

I want to say she did. The Rumple Remnant said that she should take up a hobby. I think there was a scene where she had a bunch a materials to make dreamcatchers.

Yeah but with Rumple it made sense, since he grew up with spinstresses after his dad ditched him for Neverland. Emma doesn't have a history of making dreamcatchers, though I suppose there's no reason she couldn't start now.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
looks like S5B is going to be about SPOILERS
Hercules

Any clues as to whether Once Upon a Time viewers are literally going to “hell” aka the Underworld, and if so, as a whole cast? Or is it possible it comes to Storybrooke? –Karen
Details — on any confirmed trip to Hell or otherwise – are scarce thus far, but this much I can share: For an early Season 5B episode, the ABC series is guest-casting the roles of a “dashing, strapping young man” who is “single-minded in his pursuit of his destiny: to be the greatest hero who ever lived” and a “plucky, 18-year-old female adventurer with a sly sense of humor and a tough, no-nonsense spirit.”

zeemumu

You can solve any problem
if you're a bear.
I have slight issue with Magic-Scotland's arrow-based hierarchy.

Rumple keeps failing to walk it back every time he has a perfect opportunity,
but maybe one last time, he can successfully walk it back.

Is it just the hair or does Belle look different this season? o_O Make up maybe? Having just done a quick search and an unrelated note since it's irrelevant since these episodes were filmed beforehand, Emilie de Ravin announced a month ago that she's pregnant. I wonder if they're going to incorporate it into the show like they did with Goodwin/Snow and Dallas/Charming baby, is Rumple about to become a father again? Granted it might be easier to work around.

Anyway, that bear... Back to Belle, when she argued with Merida about the potion and turning into the bear in the flash back I imagined Belle telling her not to do it because they only had the budget to do it once.

I've said it many times before but their change the season split in two with their own arcs has been so, so very nice.

zeemumu

I should've watch Brave before this season since I didnt get most references from this episode

It's a post-Brave story in the same way that the Frozen stuff was post-Frozen. You'll still be able to understand what's going on, but there are a few winks and nods, mostly with her suitors and everything about the bear thing.

Is it just the hair or does Belle look different this season? o_O Make up maybe? Having just done a quick search and an unrelated note since it's irrelevant since these episodes were filmed beforehand, Emilie de Ravin announced a month ago that she's pregnant. I wonder if they're going to incorporate it into the show like they did with Goodwin/Snow and Dallas/Charming baby, is Rumple about to become a father again? Granted it might be easier to work around.

Anyway, that bear... Back to Belle, when she argued with Merida about the potion and turning into the bear in the flash back I imagined Belle telling her not to do it because they only had the budget to do it once.

I've said it many times before but their change the season split in two with their own arcs has been so, so very nice.
I believe the Belle actress lost weight.

Rodin

Nice episode, CGI for the bear was also decent and seems like they finally understood that using it at night helps making it look more convincing. Aside from that i loved Rumple finally evolving as a character by becoming brave, and i'm pretty sure Nimue will turn out to be
Merlin's love... Aka the dark one he wasn't able to strike.
Next episode should be interesting judging by the promo. Season 5 has been good so far.

Hair, make up and she lost a bit of weight. I think she looked particularly gorgeous in this episode.

It's a post-Brave story in the same way that the Frozen stuff was post-Frozen. You'll still be able to understand what's going on, but there are a few winks and nods, mostly with her suitors and everything about the bear thing.

I don't remember much about the movie but didn't she and her brothers get turned into bears in it? Did she forget that or something? A bit disappointing that the witch never returned to the cabin.

I'm glad Rumple brought along a sack of dust that reverses transformation, even though that has never once happened to anyone who ever stepped outside Storybrooke. People have forgotten their memories, but don't bring along a potion that restores memories that'd be silly.

In fact why doesn't everyone just leave Storybrooke and drag Emma along? Sure, no magic, but the dark one "stuff" would be gone and they could all live happy normal lives. Would make for a pretty boring TV show though, watch Emma and Regina scheme to get Henry into college without the aid of magic in boosting his SAT scores. Prince Charming is befuddled by the subway system and tries to charge the A Train, to tragic results.

I tried to figure out what nimue means but doesn't anagram to anything (I Menu!), I guess its the name of the lady of the lake who gave Arthur his sword?

zeemumu

I don't remember much about the movie but didn't she and her brothers get turned into bears in it? Did she forget that or something? A bit disappointing that the witch never returned to the cabin.

I'm glad Rumple brought along a sack of dust that reverses transformation, even though that has never once happened to anyone who ever stepped outside Storybrooke. People have forgotten their memories, but don't bring along a potion that restores memories that'd be silly.

In fact why doesn't everyone just leave Storybrooke and drag Emma along? Sure, no magic, but the dark one "stuff" would be gone and they could all live happy normal lives. Would make for a pretty boring TV show though, watch Emma and Regina scheme to get Henry into college without the aid of magic in boosting his SAT scores. Prince Charming is befuddled by the subway system and tries to charge the A Train, to tragic results.

I tried to figure out what nimue means but doesn't anagram to anything (I Menu!), I guess its the name of the lady of the lake who gave Arthur his sword?

She turned her mom into a bear and her brothers accidentally took the potion and became bears later, but theirs was mostly as a comic relief deal.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

The new curse transforms people who step outside of storybrooke into trees

Apparently Peter Pan, Cora (and possibly more) are coming back for the 100th episode. It's probably gonna be a big hot mess. I'm here for a musical episode!!!!!!

zeemumu

Okay so I was correct in assuming that Emma makes the dreamcatchers as a hobby to keep from going nuts since she can't sleep.

I'm still a little confused about Arthur's actions. He's pissed about Merlin giving him broken sword and that's his reason for wanting to kill him, but nothing else really makes sense. Had he helped them with Emma, they would have reforged the sword with no problems.

Yeah... Fuck Arthur. Continuing the cool twist on the Excalabur/Dagger's origin but did the grail really have enough material to form a sword, especially of that side? o_O Good episode and I'm still grateful they brought Rebecca Mader back.
looks like Greg Germann has been cast as S5B SPOILERS
Hades

Fitting, perfect casting.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I can understand Arthur being pissed and wanting revenge on Merlin for dominating his life, but to go full on villain and making acid to burn his enemies is a bit ridiculous

Liked the episode. Not sure I'm certain if I like Merlin though, the actors a bit meh

zeemumu

I feel like Merlin could've stopped her from getting stabbed. He had infinite magic power. He couldn't have disarmed the guy? Or frozen him?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I KNEW it. I knew Nimue would be the original Dark One as soon as they started mentioning it. But I loved the twist anyways.

Season 5 has moved a bit slow tbh, but I'm loving all the backstory on the Dark One. The Holy Grail giving Merlin his powers, the Grail being formed into Excalibur, then Excalibur being split and the top half becoming the Dark One dagger. Fantastic stuff.

I do laugh sometimes at how close by all these incredibly important artifacts are without fail. Need Prometheus' fire, the original spark? Well just trek up this hill and there it is XD

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Like how they are setting up the Greek mythology tho I had to read about the Holy Grail, thought they were implying Jesus for a moment

Rodin

It was obvious that Nimue was the first dark one (and the one who trapped Merlin into the tree) even before we knew her name, but i liked how we got there. It was a classic "OH YES I FUCKING KNEW IT" scene, in what was a pretty good episode, but suddendly they decided to go full season 2 in the scene where the crew confronts Arthur with Zelena's betrayal.

She basically walked in without her bracelet, started exchanging looks with Arthur like they've been plotting this forever, reads something she's never seen before on a book she knew nothing about and voilà, after 3 seconds Excalibur does the same thing as the Dark One's dagger for whatever reason. Ok writers.

Anyway pretty hyped for next week, double episode incoming. These are usually very good.

KevinCow

Banned
So I'm confused at the timeline.

The Dark One has only been around for 200 years, right? That doesn't seem very long. And I thought Rumple was the Dark One for like 100 of those years, wasn't he? I could've sworn Hook said he was over 100 years old at some point.

So how were there so many Dark Ones filling the room when Emma forged Excalibur? Were there really like a dozen of them in the century before Rumple? They must have been some pretty shitty Dark Ones, then.

Sober

Yeah 200 to 250 years seems a little weird for basically what should be a stand-in for "Ancient Evil" but I guess that means that the Enchanted Forest (or Camelot, if they aren't the same world) isn't really that old, or Merlin and the Dark One aren't "ancient" anythings in that matter.

Best guess is all the other Dark Ones were shitty and realized it was shitty like the one that made Rumple kill him. Rumple probably was only the Dark One for so long because, well Rumple.

Matt_

I thought it said that when Merlin drank from the Holy grail it was 1000 years ago, and when he first me Zimue he had lived for 500 years?

Sober

I thought it said that when Merlin drank from the Holy grail it was 1000 years ago, and when he first me Zimue he had lived for 500 years?
I had thought the same thing but the first scene where he meets Nimue literally says "200 years earlier". i.e. 200 years prior to Camelot/Arthur/etc.

Matt_

I had thought the same thing but the first scene where he meets Nimue literally says "200 years earlier". i.e. 200 years prior to Camelot/Arthur/etc.

Yeah you're right, just went and rewatched the bits
Merlin definitely gets powers 1000 years ago, then they skip to 200 years ago when he meets Nimue, but then in his convo with her he said that he drank from the holy grail 500 years ago so 700 years before Arthur

seems the show has got its own timeline wrong
200 years definitely doesn't seem long enough for the Dark One to be such a menace, not unless they're all utterly incompetent with keeping the dagger.
Do we know how long the one before Rumple was it? After all he wanted to be killed by rumple so clearly he had had enough of the whole thing

Yeaaah, the timeline has gotten confusing and the writer or producer or whoever it was that tried to explained it didn't do a good job at all. At this point I wonder if even they know.

KevinCow

Banned
Does anyone know how this show does in the ratings? I'd look it up myself but that stuff has honestly always confused me. Obviously it's not super popular with the NeoGAF crowd, but it's been on for 5 seasons, so it must have an audience out there.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Does anyone know how this show does in the ratings? I'd look it up myself but that stuff has honestly always confused me. Obviously it's not super popular with the NeoGAF crowd, but it's been on for 5 seasons, so it must have an audience out there.
Usually like 1.5 in the 18-49 crowd with 4.5 M viewers on average

This OT isn't as active because the show probably doesn't check enough boxes of most NeoGAF users. For example Arrow and Flash both have less viewers but our OTs for those shows already have thousands of posts. At the rate the Flash OT is getting posted in it could need a second OT before the season is over.

KevinCow

Banned
Usually like 1.5 in the 18-49 crowd with 4.5 M viewers on average

Is that good?

This OT isn't as active because the show probably doesn't check enough boxes of most NeoGAF users. For example Arrow and Flash both have less viewers but our OTs for those shows already have thousands of posts. At the rate the Flash OT is getting posted in it could need a second OT before the season is over.

Yeah, I can understand why it isn't super popular on GAF. I'm just curious as to who actually is watching it. Am I right in thinking that it has a fairly significant female audience?

Sober

Yeah, I can understand why it isn't super popular on GAF. I'm just curious as to who actually is watching it. Am I right in thinking that it has a fairly significant female audience?
Well yeah, since it airs on ABC. I don't know any dudes in real life that watch OUAT but plenty of women I know who watch TV definitely do.

Yeah, the female audience for this show is around double that of male audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom