• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PARAMORE |OT| Line up changes, emo angst, and guilty pleasures (oh, and Hayley gifs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Song is good, obviously not the old times but if they stayed old, it would grow stale.

Song gives me some 1975/Chvrches vibes

That album art is good but that font, yeesh.

Zero315

Banned
no limited edition, no vinyl...no nothing ,_,
so I'll just buy a normal CD.

It says on the website that the vinyl will be out later this summer, but yeah, no limited edition is disappointing and that pin doesn't look worth an extra $5 plus $8 for shipping.

Listened to this quite a few times on the way to work today and MAN her voice sounds phenomenal on this track. Absolutely beautiful. The chorus is honestly my least favorite part but that bridge really hits me.

Really hoping they do a US tour after I've made it back from Japan in August. I haven't missed a tour since '08 and I'd hate to miss one right before I get home. They're playing Riot Fest this year, so that's a good sign.

Mistle

i didn't mind it tbh. they've got a heap of distorted guitar albums, staying fresh isn't a bad thing. cool to see zac is back

jwk94

Not feeling this song at all. Hopefully the album is better. I'm surprised by the quick turnaround from announcement to release.

theWB27

That chorus makes it worth repeated listening.

Last album had two of my favorite gems from them...Be Alone and One of Those Crazy Girls.

NinjaBoiX

Sounds like The 1975...

jkTs3q8.jpg

...still holding out for the album but yeah, not a great start.

I like the "I'm gonna hit rock bottom" part I guess.

iFirez

Hard Times is out. On Spotify too. Album called After Laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEB6ibtdPZc

Instead of commenting on the song, I'm going to comment on the animation - which I love. I'm a motion graphics animator in a production studio and this clearly took one person or a team of people quite some time to achieve. It's all relatively easy to do in After Effects but the amount of masking and rotoing they must have done to get the shapes for the coloured strokes to follow is most likely insane. I love the vibrant overly colourful look too - I feel like we're entering a time after the dark, drab aesthetic of the early 2000s that now a lot more colour is been injected into everything.

danowat

Banned
Instead of commenting on the song, I'm going to comment on the animation - which I love. I'm a motion graphics animator in a production studio and this clearly took one person or a team of people quite some time to achieve. It's all relatively easy to do in After Effects but the amount of masking and rotoing they must have done to get the shapes for the coloured strokes to follow is most likely insane. I love the vibrant overly colourful look too - I feel like we're entering a time after the dark, drab aesthetic of the early 2000s that now a lot more colour is been injected into everything.

Reminded me of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer video.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The new single is absolutely fantastic. They took their signature sound, fused it with 80s pop and came out with something sounding incredibly fresh.

I had it on repeat for a half hour driving home from work.

daffy

Banned
how do guys feel about the lyrics? I think its showcasing how in modern times we all try to put a colorful and optimistic take on our woes and misery

iFirez

Reminded me of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer video.

Similar aesthetic for sure. This music video obviously uses animation for the lightning in the clouds and the colourful lines and abstract segments. I actually think some of those abstract scenes that cut away from the main set are actually done in stop motion or atleast at a lower framerate to achieve a more stylised look.

Song has that retro 80s vibe some bands are doing, but I feel her voice isn't helping it. Something about the mixing of her voice is clashing with it.

Absolutely adore the chorus, everything else is expendable...

Not disappointed with the "sound" of the song because the only Paramore I like is Ain't it Fun, Still Into You, and The Only Exception, so this seems right in line with those.

BJK

Song has grown on me a lot since my first listen. It just wasn't what i was expecting.

Hoping this will grow on me the way the first single from Lorde's new album has.

(With Zac back in the band, I was hoping for something a bit more...kinetic.)

DJChuy

I think their new song is fantastic. Been following them since the Riot days, and to me, this is possibly one of the best things they've done. Should be a very fun live song. Music video is dope too.

I've been listening this song all day while I was working out this gonna be a awesome album.

Makes me sad this forum is lacking Paramore fans :(

YaBish

I'm not a Paramore fan really, but if this is the direction that they're going in, I'm all for it.

As already stated by the motion graphics guy above, the animation in this is fantastic. Must've taken forever to do in after effects.

Lari

Not gonna lie, I miss guitars already.
That said, I absolutely love the new song, I'm actually having to pace myself to not overplay it immediately.

Also, love the video. Can't wait for the new album (hopefully it will have a few guitar driven songs like the self titled did .

Big Nikus

Been listening to this non stop for the past two days. Still not bored. I need the album right now.
Oh and I love the clip. I'm not really familiar with the band but I find the guy in yellow really funny, I don't know why xD

The song's okay, but as the song goes on I feel like there's supposed to be a part that really goes umph and it just never hits. I'll still give the album a listen as a fan, but we'll see. I haven't been too keen on their newer stuff.

The song's okay, but as the song goes on I feel like there's supposed to be a part that really goes umph and it just never hits. I'll still give the album a listen as a fan, but we'll see. I haven't been too keen on their newer stuff.

I'd argue that the oomph is in the chorus. As someone that loves 80's pop, that part hits that feeling perfectly. Even the way Hayley sings "Hit me with lightning" during the second verse reminds me of 80's pop. This is definitely my favorite first single from an album from them. I said earlier in this thread that i've never been a big fan of their first singles, but this one is rather great.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Are we talking about Hard Times?
ima talk about hard times
Not feeling it.

well as much as others.

btdubs hard times is the name of a localish chili mac bar for me

I'd argue that the oomph is in the chorus. As someone that loves 80's pop, that part hits that feeling perfectly. Even the way Hayley sings "Hit me with lightning" during the second verse reminds me of 80's pop. This is definitely my favorite first single from an album from them. I said earlier in this thread that i've never been a big fan of their first singles, but this one is rather great.
I think I just had different expectations when listening to it. I wasn't expecting it to be so light in terms of style, so the oomph that is there is falling flat for me. At least I know where my expectations should be for the full album now, and maybe I'll end up enjoying it more.

valeo

Kinda sounds like everything else out there at the moment aping the 80s (the worst decade of music to exist - don't kill me, I was born in the 80s) CHVRCHES has already done it better.

Paramore's first singles always suck, though. 'Now' was one of my least favourite on the last album; and that album of theirs has been the first one to truly stick with me.

Reckon they peaked with 'Aint it Fun', but we'll see!

I liked their old stuff...when I was younger. Going back, some of it is almost unlistenable now; the lyrics are very cringe. I could probably listen to Hayley sing a dictionary, too..

I think I just had different expectations when listening to it. I wasn't expecting it to be so light in terms of style, so the oomph that is there is falling flat for me. At least I know where my expectations should be for the full album now, and maybe I'll end up enjoying it more.

I definitely wouldn't expect all the songs to be light (although lyrically it's not since it's Hayley describing being depressed) since they've gone through a lot since their last album. From Jeremy leaving, to him suing Hayley, and even contemplating killing Paramore off completely so that they can just start from scratch with a new band name. So, i'd expect at least some heavier stuff in there.

Kinda sounds like everything else out there at the moment aping the 80s (the worst decade of music to exist - don't kill me, I was born in the 80s) CHVRCHES has already done it better.

Paramore's first singles always suck, though. 'Now' was one of my least favourite on the last album; and that album of theirs has been the first one to truly stick with me.

Reckon they peaked with 'Aint it Fun', but we'll see!

I liked their old stuff...when I was younger. Going back, some of it is almost unlistenable now; the lyrics are very cringe. I could probably listen to Hayley sing a dictionary, too..

It's strange that you would look down on Hard Times for its 80's sound but you seem to really like Ain't it Fun, which is also 80's inspired. Not as blatantly as HT, but it's definitely there and not subtle. Stereogum summed it up well

All it took to put Paramore in front of so many brand new eyeballs was an ’80s pop-rock groove, a gospel choir, vocal tics lifted from Michael Jackson, and an outfit seemingly borrowed from Miley Cyrus.

http://www.stereogum.com/1682830/the-week-in-pop-aint-paramore-fun/franchises/the-week-in-pop/

That said, AiF is probably their best song. Well, that and That's What You Get.

NinjaBoiX

That's What You Get is probably one of their worst tracks, that chorus is bad wrong, Ain't It Fun is one of their weaker ones too imo.

Ignorance, Part II, Fences, Feeling Sorry, (One Of Those) Crazy Girls, Decode, Anklebiters, those are some of my favourites.

There's some top bonus tracks on the deluxe edition of Paramore too:

Paramore - Tell Me It's OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom