• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us Season 3 |OT| This One Time at Magic Camp....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first act was amazing.

I am guessing the fact that they kept saying Dove was meaning Lance Burton, but the fact that he did it with liquid just blew me away.

BTW, what did they mean by the billiard trick?

Why is everyone so surprised by the cookie trick? Was it just slight of hand? Like they thought it might have been, but went for mouth instead.

I found out a few days ago that there was an Israeli version of this show, with magicians trying to fool Max Maven. A few segments can be found on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzrCp-rDFk

The first act was amazing.

I am guessing the fact that they kept saying Dove was meaning Lance Burton, but the fact that he did it with liquid just blew me away.

BTW, what did they mean by the billiard trick?
He means multiplying billiard balls.
Here's a sample performance of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywJVJW_KIE

Soma has a wonderful take on it. He performed a shorter variant for Fool Us years ago but here is the longer version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jucxw56RDik

I found out a few days ago that there was an Israeli version of this show, with magicians trying to fool Max Maven. A few segments can be found on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzrCp-rDFk

He means multiplying billiard balls.
Here's a sample performance of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dywJVJW_KIE

Soma has a wonderful take on it. He performed a shorter variant for Fool Us years ago but here is the longer version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jucxw56RDik

WOW at that Salvano guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sg_gqpAaMQ

Why is everyone so surprised by the cookie trick? Was it just slight of hand? Like they thought it might have been, but went for mouth instead.

He just very obviously put it in his mouth when he brought the handkerchief to his face pretending to wipe it. Its very visible by his hand movement and the way his mouth looked after like it had something in it all of a sudden. They gave him too much credit.

He just very obviously put it in his mouth when he brought the handkerchief to his face pretending to wipe it. Its very visible by his hand movement and the way his mouth looked after like it had something in it all of a sudden. They gave him too much credit.
It was during a moment of relaxation, after a couple of minutes of vigilance (such as to accurately copy his moves). They didn't know they were looking for anything in that moment. It was great timing and misdirection. It probably didn't even register for them that he wiped his mouth.

It was during a moment of relaxation, after a couple of minutes of vigilance (such as to accurately copy his moves). They didn't know they were looking for anything in that moment. It was great timing and misdirection. It probably didn't even register for them that he wiped his mouth.

Yea that's a fair point.

Lotta weird off moments near the end of the liquid glasses act. First when you obviously see one of the cups he just made disappear in the inside of his jacket and he has to pull it closed. Then at the end when it cuts to his bow you see glass breaking on the ground, but it wasn't one of the visible ones at the end of the trick.

They had two choices, and the chose the more fun one. The slight of hand is great, and he does a great job of setting up that the cookie might be in there the entire time, and it's neat to think he did that, but they had a 50/50 shot, and they chose wrong.

But, considering how I think Penn and Teller do the Bullet Catch, I'm surprised they didn't pick hand to mouth.

Next week's episode is called: "Can Penn & Teller Fool Penn & Teller", I kind of want each to do a trick and see if the other can guess it.

My goodness that Asian mentalist tonight was gorgeous

She certainly had a lot of junk in her trunk...

I actually really liked her trick. It's one of those "that seems like a lot of work for a simple trick" but it just makes it a lot more fun.

On a second viewing, I thought Penn and Teller were on the right track with the guy that fooled them, so maybe they just weren't specific or quick enough, and as a result, the judges gave it to the guy? Still, it's a nice trick.

I had some issues with this season, but I wish they do another one. I like this show.

satriales

On a second viewing, I thought Penn and Teller were on the right track with the guy that fooled them, so maybe they just weren't specific or quick enough, and as a result, the judges gave it to the guy? Still, it's a nice trick.

Yeah, I caught the guy switch decks with one from under his stool before he dealt them out. After that it was more of a memory trick and Penn & Teller seemed to know how he did it, but didn't mention the deck switch.

Ristlager

I remember seeing the video with Shin and Im still not sure, how exactly he pulled it off...

The only "bad" thing about Shins performance is that he did the same trick in an other show, and the participants drew the exact same cards as the ones on FU. I know there must be a force in the trick, but that was a small downer. The slight of hand is of the charts though.

satriales

The only "bad" thing about Shins performance is that he did the same trick in an other show, and the participants drew the exact same cards as the ones on FU. I know there must be a force in the trick, but that was a small downer. The slight of hand is of the charts though.

I don't know how he does some of it, but there are a few parts which can't be done without
there being multiple signed cards. Particularly the signed card in the bag which changes to the other signed card. It's obvious that he just turns the bag around to do this effect and the signed card is double sided, but the 2nd card was not signed until after this one was already in the bag, so i'm a bit lost at how he gets the signature to match the spectators?

Huh lol we arent following magician's code in this thread are we?
I'm just using my judgement on what to say, though I did think what Penn said had pretty clear implications and I could have gone either way.
There's an assistant within the table.

I hope not. Besides, mentalism acts are gimmick acts and I would imagine aren't well respected in the magic community. Spill the beans!
Not really true.

I don't know how he does some of it, but there are a few parts which can't be done without
there being multiple signed cards. Particularly the signed card in the bag which changes to the other signed card. It's obvious that he just turns the bag around to do this effect and the signed card is double sided, but the 2nd card was not signed until after this one was already in the bag, so i'm a bit lost at how he gets the signature to match the spectators?

I read somewhere where a guy said he figured it out. Its all conjecture on his part but it makes sense:
basically there a duplicates of the same card with the same signature. The signature that the 2nd girl signs is not the one we as an audience sees. He gets them to sign on a small corner of the card and when he shows it to the audience he obscures the signature with his finger and all we see is the giant presigned card.
It all makes sense but it probably can't be done without the participants immediately realizing wtf is going on if they watch the footage.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait, so someone is in the table, hears the word, rips out the page and then leaves it for her to palm? I dunno, that just seems kind of lame compared to some of the more agile moves (although I suppose sitting in that table is probably no picnic... but in that case, she doesn't even do anything).

That assistant in the table trick was so lame. We did a similiar trick in school lmao. Everybody and their mother knows how it's done. I cringed a little when i realized she was going to do THAT in front of P&T.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That assistant in the table trick was so lame. We did a similiar trick in school lmao. Everybody and their mother knows how it's done. I cringed a little when i realized she was going to do THAT in front of P&T.
Oh wow, watching it again knowing that someone is in the table makes it obvious. There's a hole in the bottom of the jar, and she has to look exactly where she places it down on the table so that it lines up with whatever hole is in the table, then when they look up the word, they make sure to stand in front of the jar to block it from view.

mrkgoo

They simply missed it. Rewind and go back, yeah it's obvious. But it just means his sleight was good enough but probably more so is the misdirection.

The mouth wipe with the cookie is the only time I can remember actually seeing the "magic" moment. I didn't catch it the first time but I always rewatch the trick to see if I can figure it out, and it was obvious on second watch. Most of the time I'm completely stumped (including the assistant under the table), so it's funny that P&T thought it was somehow harder, and that he had a special way of holding a cookie in his mouth without getting it soaked with milk.

They had two choices, and the chose the more fun one. The slight of hand is great, and he does a great job of setting up that the cookie might be in there the entire time, and it's neat to think he did that, but they had a 50/50 shot, and they chose wrong.

But, considering how I think Penn and Teller do the Bullet Catch, I'm surprised they didn't pick hand to mouth.

Next week's episode is called: "Can Penn & Teller Fool Penn & Teller", I kind of want each to do a trick and see if the other can guess it.

ah ok, cool cheers.

Going to Vegs on a business trip next week. Got tickets to one of their shows. Front row center seats too!

Nice! I saw their show about 18 months ago and got a picture with Penn afterwards. (Him and Teller usually take pictures with fans in the hall after the show).
I don't think I came up to his shoulder he's so tall.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I went to their Vegas show earlier this week and it was great. As luck would have it, one of the Fool Us winners was there, and performed towards the end of the show (Timon Kraus). Was a great show, and Penn and Teller hang around in the lobby afterwards to take photos with people. Teller also drops the silent act and chats with people.

bigkrev

Not a surprise, but it was renewed today for another season.

It's inexpensive programming that can be show in reruns/syndication/Netflix out of order and in perpetuity.

As long as the show doesn't die in ratings, and as long as Penn and Teller want to do it, this show will continue to be on the air

satriales

This is one of my favourite shows but I don't think I've laughed at a single one of Alyson Hannigans' jokes, and she looks really uncomfortable all of the time. Bring back Wossy!

Wikipedia lists July 13th as the start of the new season, so only one week to go!

First episode is: Richard Turner, Young & Strange, Kayla Drescher, Mike Super.

Young & Strange are a return act. Richard Turner is a veteran card trick guy. Mike Super is a mentalist (yay...) who has been on America's Got Talent. Kayla Drescher seems like she does slight of hand stuff.

Wikipedia lists July 13th as the start of the new season, so only one week to go!

First episode is: Richard Turner, Young & Strange, Kayla Drescher, Mike Super.

Young & Strange are a return act. Richard Turner is a veteran card trick guy. Mike Super is a mentalist (yay...) who has been on America's Got Talent. Kayla Drescher seems like she does slight of hand stuff.

rotten tomatoes lists the premier as July 10th, 2017 so maybe even sooner!? Looks like Alyson Hannigan is back as host :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom