• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us Season 3 |OT| This One Time at Magic Camp....

Status
Not open for further replies.
rotten tomatoes lists the premier as July 10th, 2017 so maybe even sooner!? Looks like Alyson Hannigan is back as host :/

CW also says the 13th.

I'm at peace with Alyson Hannigan being host. Yes, Ross was really good, funny, and quick on his feet, but the host isn't all that important unless there are more acts that require the involvement on Alyson. And, maybe she'll be more comfortable this time out and not as stiff/wooden.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Yeah, you gotta cut Hannigan a little slack. The entire season is filmed over the course of about 2 weeks.

There isn't a lot of time to get comfortable or figure out what works and what doesn't. Johnathan Ross makes it look easy because he's one of the remaining few people left actually talented in presenting.

Will a new OT go up before it starts?

Yeah, you gotta cut Hannigan a little slack. The entire season is filmed over the course of about 2 weeks.

There isn't a lot of time to get comfortable or figure out what works and what doesn't. Johnathan Ross makes it look easy because he's one of the remaining few people left actually talented in presenting.

Will a new OT go up before it starts?

I'm sure one of us will put something up before it starts. It's not like there needs to be a big lead up to it.

I'm really curious to what Young & Strange are going to do. It seemed like their first appearance totally depended on their "double" act, so they obviously can't do something like that again, which makes me wonder if they'll do something more conventional. Even so, I liked their act the first time so I'm glad they are back again.

The blind card dealer was a good start to the season. But RIP to Penn's signature pony tail

Penn's had long hair since like high school or something. End of an era.

Solid opening. Turner, the blind card guy, was stunning. Young and Strange were a real disappointment, not because they presented their trick poorly, but it was something we've seen before and their last trick was more fun. Drescher was fun, again something we've seen before with the rip and restore stuff, but it was neat watching her work with Teller, and boy did that show some confidence to do! Mentalist was ok.

Biggest dud was the Penn and Teller bit at the end.

I wonder if the trick explanations are going to be them just referencing specific names of techniques. I thought all of the explanations to not be as fun as previous seasons, but maybe that's just this episode.

Tonight's show.

1: Never let someone walk in front of a magician. Still, fun act.

2: I have no idea. It has to be something with the paper or the pen? Or, a technicality and the magician really didn't know how it was done?

3: uh, wear the same color shoes, dude!

4: that was fun!

Tonight's show.

1: Never let someone walk in front of a magician. Still, fun act.

2: I have no idea. It has to be something with the paper or the pen? Or, a technicality and the magician really didn't know how it was done?

3: uh, wear the same color shoes, dude!

4: that was fun!

I feel that for the chicken one it had to have to do with putting the real dream first, like maybe a coating on the tip of the pen that would wipe onto the first note.

3rd act got rekt by the judges. I love when an act tries to tell P&T they fooled them, but the judges over-rule the magician. Cut down on the hubris and be humbled

Shin Lim was back tonight and he was awesome! I love his stuff.

Apparently he was supposed to be on last season but had a bad injury. Glad he recovered.

I'm sure a video will be posted online shortly.

bigkrev

Fucking Shin Lim. I can easily see some of his early moves (the marker in the first act was in slow motion to me, and I saw him throw cards a few times here) but I have no FUCKING CLUE how he swapped the deck multiple times in that act

After the Paris attacks he did this same trick. On P&T today, the camera cut away to the audience near the very end of his act for a couple of seconds which makes me believe he may have slipped up a bit and the producers did the cut away to hide it but still a great routine and I'm sure its even more difficult with a recovering thumb

Here's the Pray for Paris routine which is essentially the same as he performed tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh9GaDgRWX4

zulux21

Shin Lim was back tonight and he was awesome! I love his stuff.

Apparently he was supposed to be on last season but had a bad injury. Glad he recovered.

I'm sure a video will be posted online shortly.

so he is awesome.
and i love watching his trick.

but I do feel it is a bit misleading to say that he fooled penn and teller.

i mean they fully know that they are merely watching a god of Sleight of hand.

even if they don't know how it is humanly possible to be that good at sleight of hand they still know what he is doing for the most part.

they just want him on their act :p

jett

D-Member
Shin Lim is such an incredible sleight of hand artist. This wasn't as memorable as the first act (and I thought the message stuff was kinda cheesy and it's been done before on the show), but it still was pretty amazing.

Shin Lim is great but he's done this exact act before, and it was performed more smoothly. I noticed in two cases the overlapping cards during the first part.

Also he clearly didn't fool Penn & Teller, they just know he deserves the credit.

Also his looks were a little TOO theatrical haha.

so he is awesome.
and i love watching his trick.

but I do feel it is a bit misleading to say that he fooled penn and teller.

i mean they fully know that they are merely watching a god of Sleight of hand.

even if they don't know how it is humanly possible to be that good at sleight of hand they still know what he is doing for the most part.

they just want him on their act :p

With stuff like sleight of hand, I think they've said in past seasons that they have to actually see the moves. Just knowing how it is done isn't enough, they need to see the minor mistakes or something. I think that's why some sleight of hand stuff gets a pass and others do not.

1: That was a fun bit and a surprising cameo. I assume she knew the knife, and new the position on by back of the card to position things properly?

2: Yeah, he's great. Hard to deny.

3: So, there were multiple costumes he could have changed into, or minor variations, that are contained in the diving tank, and it's limited by the cards?

4: I was shocked by this one. How the hell did they switch hands?

edit: 4. ooooooohhhhhh...... I rewatched it. I get it now. that's great.

With stuff like sleight of hand, I think they've said in past seasons that they have to actually see the moves. Just knowing how it is done isn't enough, they need to see the minor mistakes or something. I think that's why some sleight of hand stuff gets a pass and others do not.

1: That was a fun bit and a surprising cameo. I assume she knew the knife, and new the position on by back of the card to position things properly?

2: Yeah, he's great. Hard to deny.

3: So, there were multiple costumes he could have changed into, or minor variations, that are contained in the diving tank, and it's limited by the cards?

4: I was shocked by this one. How the hell did they switch hands?

edit: 4. ooooooohhhhhh...... I rewatched it. I get it now. that's great.

#3 Penn mentioned there was a force, and I think they are right. Notice how the magician abruptly stops Alyson after she mentions the 5th job on the card. He also made sure to tell Alyson to keep them face down. Why? Because all of the other cards had Scuba Diver written on them. When Alyson fanned the cards for an audience member to "randomly" pick a card, there was a 99% chance he would pick a card in the middle. The only chance the trick could go wrong is if he picks a card near the top which has one of the jobs Alyson already called out.

#3 Penn mentioned there was a force, and I think they are right. Notice how the magician abruptly stops Alyson after she mentions the 5th job on the card. He also made sure to tell Alyson to keep them face down. Why? Because all of the other cards had Scuba Diver written on them. When Alyson fanned the cards for an audience member to "randomly" pick a card, there was a 99% chance he would pick a card in the middle. The only chance the trick could go wrong is if he picks a card near the top which has one of the jobs Alyson already called out.

That makes sense, and I guess we saw part of what he was wearing when he went into the balloon. What were Penn's comments about beekeeper and the scuba tank then?

I could have fooled Penn & Teller since I do the same basic trick Siegfried Tieber did. :)

But we diverge after dealing the cards into two piles. I get those two piles to be shuffled separately by the spectators (one pile each) and then they are put together and they cut and complete anywhere they want when I'm not looking. Then I find the cards. Rather than finishing it knowing that one card was in one pile and one card was in the other, that process makes it so I can fairly say that I don't know anything about where the cards could be.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I just remembered that Michael Vincent who performed twice in the first season had lost his hearing suddenly. He talks about it here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=700ilIHgYl8

One of my favorite sleight of hand performers ever. This is sad.

Also I'm really intrigued by how the chicken medium trick was done last episode. Penn goes about it at length in his podcast. Apparently nobody online has guessed correctly and the trick even fooled Johnny Thompson.

SmokeMaxX

So the P&T trick at the end of the episode was the same as a previous season. My question is- is it exactly the same? Like, did they just copy and paste it from the end of a previous episode? Or are they actually different people in a different shoot?

So the P&T trick at the end of the episode was the same as a previous season. My question is- is it exactly the same? Like, did they just copy and paste it from the end of a previous episode? Or are they actually different people in a different shoot?
They've done that basic trick on TV a long time ago (20-30 years ago?) but I don't remember them doing it on Fool Us. Does anyone else remember or do you have a video of it from an earlier episode?

They've done that basic trick on TV a long time ago (20-30 years ago?) but I don't remember them doing it on Fool Us. Does anyone else remember or do you have a video of it from an earlier episode?

Took me a while but I found it! Looks like it was on British Public Access TV.

And wow what are the odds that on both occasions in Fool Us 2017 and in that other show 20 years ago both guests would choose the 4 of Spades? 1 in 52? 1 in 1?

SmokeMaxX

It wasn't that one. I'm almost positive I've seen this exact trick before. That being said, I did attend a taping for this season and I could just be remembering the trick from that.

It wasn't that one. I'm almost positive I've seen this exact trick before. That being said, I did attend a taping for this season and I could just be remembering the trick from that.

Nah, this is the first time they did that trick on Fool Us. But as you saw in the link I have posted, they have done it before on other shows.

jett

D-Member
I thought this week's episode was kinda okay, but I did like the coin trick. I found the escape artist act to be lame, he was underwater for less than two minutes. Hard to be impressed after seeing David Blaine hold his breath for 17. :p

Took me a while but I found it! Looks like it was on British Public Access TV.

And wow what are the odds that on both occasions in Fool Us 2017 and in that other show 20 years ago both guests would choose the 4 of Spades? 1 in 52? 1 in 1?
The real question is 'what were the chances it wouldn't be the three of clubs?'. :)

That would be it.

The real question is 'what were the chances it wouldn't be the three of clubs?'. :)

Aww don't tell me the "random couple" they choose are plants that are told what card to pull. Thats one of the rules for Fool Us contestants, is they are not allowed to have anything pre-set up with an audience member or members. I guess it is their show so they can break the rules

Aww don't tell me the "random couple" they choose are plants that are told what card to pull. Thats one of the rules for Fool Us contestants, is they are not allowed to have anything pre-set up with an audience member or members. I guess it is their show so they can break the rules
I don't know for sure which method they used.

Though since it isn't a part of the competition, the rules for the competition don't apply so it isn't a matter of rules being broken.

totowhoa

Banned
Remember this prediction trick by Richard Bellars from a few years ago? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMnk4tE6N9A&ab_channel=RichardBellars

He just posted a video today explaining how he did it - pretty cool. Also interesting to see how editing this show for TV inadvertently helped him (they cut the part where the table is brought on stage). Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lff5amhI14M&ab_channel=RichardBellars

Starts at the 5 minute mark. The start is mostly him reading through and commenting on other people's guesses as to how it worked from the original YT video.

Also kudos to YT for recommending this on my home feed the day it released.

Remember this prediction trick by Richard Bellars from a few years ago? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMnk4tE6N9A&ab_channel=RichardBellars

He just posted a video today explaining how he did it - pretty cool. Also interesting to see how editing this show for TV inadvertently helped him (they cut the part where the table is brought on stage). Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lff5amhI14M&ab_channel=RichardBellars

Starts at the 5 minute mark. The start is mostly him reading through and commenting on other people's guesses as to how it worked from the original YT video.

Also kudos to YT for recommending this on my home feed the day it released.
So he cheated during the audition. That's interesting.

Eduard Todor, the magician he recommends, does do good videos. I've been watching them recently.

totowhoa

Banned

Eduard Todor, the magician he recommends, does do good videos. I've been watching them recently.

Huh, must have missed the cheating during audition part. Watched it at work and skipped a bit. Just started watching some Todor stuff recently too. More YT recs.

Honestly, I think it should be fair game to use an alternative/unknown method on a trick to "fool" P&T. Now if you're doing a trick where theres two known methods to do it, and P&T have to essentially flip a coin on the method used, thats pretty shitty.

Honestly, I think it should be fair game to use an alternative/unknown method on a trick to "fool" P&T. Now if you're doing a trick where theres two known methods to do it, and P&T have to essentially flip a coin on the method used, thats pretty shitty.

Eh, it's not as fun but I think that's sort of fair? I guess there was a similar issue last season with the guy who did the milk and cookie trick, and Penn and Teller guessed the more complicated approach than the simple one.

The cheating I was referring to was using a stooge to do the trick in the audition video he sent the show. It was only after he was accepted that he came up with another method.

It's fair to use a new/alternative method for an existing trick, but it should elevate the trick. Not look identical to another method or be at the expense of the magic. And if they make it look like a particular method is used, it should create a magical feeling upon the reveal, not a feeling of 'oh so you made the trick look worse just to fool people into thinking you did it that way, okay'. I'm not making that criticism of the shoe trick though.

I believe that P&T have had second guesses a couple of times?

Audioboxer

Seeing as there isn't a season 4 topic, it was a bit strange to see this week's last act with cards seemingly totally stump Penn and Teller. Not even a guess! It was pretty cool but I thought they'd be able to work it out.

Seeing as there isn't a season 4 topic, it was a bit strange to see this week's last act with cards seemingly totally stump Penn and Teller. Not even a guess! It was pretty cool but I thought they'd be able to work it out.
I am a little surprised they didn't seem to catch how the cards were the same but that isn't the full story with the trick and I am not surprised they missed what makes that method work with the rest of what they see.

He (David Parr) and Axel Adler (ring and silk) were both great.

I absolutely loved the first magician tonight. He was weird af but had a great sense of humor. I think Alyson really was uncomfortable around him but that made the chemistry so much more fun to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom