• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Event NYC - 2.13.2015 (Announcement of new PlayStation initiative)

Celebrities? Open bar? Hope Tom Hanks is there!

Didn't some dev say that after speaking with Oculus and Sony they delayed their game until May? Believe!

I do not want a Playstation handheld.
They are doing well, they do not need to screw that up.
I loved the Vita, but it is not meant to be.
They need to just focus on keeping the PS4 as strong and loaded as they can, and not mess with handhelds unless they want to dabble on the phones and tvs and whatnot.

I believe this will be a price drop and game announcements, and a new point club online thing.

I don't see the price drop, but the point club is believable. I wish Sony would do something to match GCU from best buy. I'd go all digital

Thought: wouldn't it be nice if collector's editions or season passes were automatically included in online store purchases

JTripper

Dang, I really wanna go to this. I assume that even if you just applied for a MVP membership and get accepted, you won't get an invite to this since they're going out now apparently. Oh well, hopefully I'll get lucky for a future event.

bebop242

My thoughts on this.

I think this will be a bundling of the various services Playstation offers. A monthly sub that combines Plus, the new spotify fueled PS music, Vue and maybe Now and a percentage off purchases in the Playstation store.

pswii60

'Initiative'?? What does that even mean in this case?

Surely if it's a product, they'd just use that word. A new service perhaps?

Are press invited?

onQ123

It's a trap!

friday-the-13th.jpg

LAA

Interesting!!!
Hmm Vita 2...I can't see that. At least not just like that. Nintendo can "somewhat" justify it because they've shown they can and will support it. Sony...thats just laughable. "You know that console we dropped support on? We made a second one! We made one game for it! Hop on!"
That and I'm not sure I'd want more companies doing the "New 3DS" approach. Sucks for existing owners.

Perhaps by initiative they simply mean actually try and bring the Vita back to life? That would be very awesome if they do and they'll gain massive respect from me for doing that.

Their choice of wording being initiative sorta hints at it not being a product, but could be. Perhaps morpheus.

Other than that, maybe some sort of new service or scheme/promotio.

JP

'Initiative'?? What does that even mean in this case?

Surely if it's a product, they'd just use that word. A new service perhaps?

Are press invited?
It could be something to do with that new PlayStation Music thing, it could be a much broader service than the Spotify announcement. It would be exactly the sort of thing you'd find b-list celebrities attending.

KAL2006

Banned
Xperia Playstation
5 inch 1080p screen
Slide out gamepad (no backtouch, but added L2 and R2)

Android - Android games have button support
Playstation Store - Vita, PS3, PS1 games support
Remote Play

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Dang, I really wanna go to this. I assume that even if you just applied for a MVP membership and get accepted, you won't get an invite to this since they're going out now apparently. Oh well, hopefully I'll get lucky for a future event.

I applied last October, but I haven't been accepted yet. I think they add new members in very infrequent waves.

Elandyll

Banned
Vue...boo if true.

Why in the email does it say "Announcement of a new playstation initiative" if its already been announced? Unless its just Sony trying to gain mystery hype.

Because it was only in beta for a limited number of participants until now, and it was announced at the 2015 CES that the service itself was about to start in select cities.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/06/ces-2015-playstation-vue-tv-service-coming-in-early-2015

Sony President and CEO Kaz Hirai announced the news today at Sony's CES conference. The service was previously only available to users who received an invite-only beta preview.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
When you are an MVP, do you have to do anything? Or can you just join and reap the benefits like this.

Unfortunately a lot of people get away with doing this and exploit it, which ruins it for the people who genuinely would like to be involved. They expanded the program way beyond what it should've been and I think it's hurt the program possibly beyond repair unless they do some sort of purge.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The sanctity of the PlayStation MVP program has been violated.

How can GAF let this stand? United we must campaign to get the OP expelled from the Neo Gaming Age Forums and life itself!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Xperia Playstation
5 inch 1080p screen
Slide out gamepad (no backtouch, but added L2 and R2)

Android - Android games have button support
Playstation Store - Vita, PS3, PS1 games support
Remote Play
Take out PS3 and this is actually somewhat realistic.

I mean it still wont happen but it would certainly be doable and if Sony ever did want to do another Xperia Play like device then something like that would be the logical outcome.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

How can GAF let this stand? United we must campaign to get the OP expelled from the Neo Gaming Age Forums and life itself!

That's not how I wanted it to come off, but there is no avoiding it. NDA is part of the industry for a reason. What purpose does this serve the gaming community leaking this? Now we can have a bunch of people overhyping this and being bullshit when this turns out to be a smaller event without much to show.

edit- it also holds back programs like this as a whole. Betas and alphas are great for the industry and fans alike, and leakers do what they can to bring it down.

Elios83

I also expect this to be about Playstation services.
I'd like to get an update about the upcoming PS4 firmware though, should be a substantial update scheduled for late February or early March.

Jburton

Banned
My thoughts on this.

I think this will be a bundling of the various services Playstation offers. A monthly sub that combines Plus, the new spotify fueled PS music, Vue and maybe Now and a percentage off purchases in the Playstation store.

Sounds the most likely type of thing so far.

A higher PS+ tier with Spotify, Now and Vue included?

AmyS

CloudStation (PS5)

Ken Kutaragi is back, working on a new processor, a CGPGPU (CPU-General Purpose GPU) that will power the future server network for games with unlimited graphical potential. Future games will be streamed in realtime to a small terminal in your home (which doesn't need any processors or much RAM) for any HD or 4K UltraHD TV (as well as Morpheus VR HMD)

Mark Cerny is working on a more conventional PS5 console in case Ken's CloudStation idea falls apart.

LOL.

but seriously:

Think it's too early for Sony Computer Entertainment to announce its next generation initiative ?

Think again.

When was PlayStation 2 released? March 2000 in Japan, October 2000 in North America.

When was the CELL processor officially announced with a new partnership called STI (Sony Toshibi IBM) ? March 2001.

When was PlayStation 4 released? November 2013.

Where are we now ? End of January 2015.

TheJLC

Programs like this in the end suffer because of leaks. A program that is about honest feedback from gamers and active members of the gaming community to a company suffers.

It is different from someone leaking a new game or product as an employee or part of a corporation. When you start leaking stuff on programs like this the user and customer is the one impacted more than the company. The private parties, alphas, and events stay behind closed doors without any feedback from real gamers because someone messed up. We get more corporate talk than real talk because the audience feedback at the events was strictly corporate.

Top Bottom