• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

See, I'm torn on Vita.

On the one hand, it may well be the last dedicated handheld console, the last of a dying breed. So I don't want o buy it.

On the other hand - if it is the last dedicated handheld console, then I definitely want to buy it.

Plus, I have a PSP1000 and a PSP Go so I really should complete the family.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lets hope its as dead as that other notoriously dead Sony Handheld, which is at 1.8m units for the YTD in Japan, and at a lifetime figure of 18million for that territory.

Kind of impressive really if you look at the numbers PS3 has done LTD in NA :D

FireCloud

awesome thread. who is making Vita BOMBA thread in 2 weeks?

No need to do that. We can just recycle one of the many 3DS bomba threads.
jk ... geez

Can't wait for the Japanese Vita release. It will be interesting to see what their impressions are.

Takao

Banned
Lets hope its as dead as that other notoriously dead Sony Handheld, which is at 1.8m units for the YTD in Japan, and at a lifetime figure of 18million for that territory.

Kind of impressive really if you look at the numbers PS3 has done LTD in NA :D

You want to know a crazy thing? PocketStation sold half of what the PS3 will do in its life time in Japan. PocketStation was basically a VMU for PSone...

Shadow780

Even facing certain death, the Vita is joyful.

2doy1.jpg

Is this the Yodobashi (i think, a 10 floor electronics shop) that is at the west of Shinjuku station?

From the lining thread

Yodobashi's deputy manager reported over 1,000 preorders by 8am according to the Kyodo News.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...-tokyo-to-order-sonys-new-game-console-kyodo/

That's multiples of what was reported at the last handheld pre-order launch at the same store...

Buying tickets for a funeral, DOOOOM-ed etc.

Dambrosi

Banned
PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread | Why are you buying this? It's already dead

It's got an almost Dr. Seussian quality to it. Bravo, Takao and Green Scar for that pic.

Looking forward most to Gravity Daze, Dragon's Crown (though I'll probably get it on PS3) and...err...um. Not really fussed over Uncharted and MinGol, and actually quite worried for Ridge Racer and WipEout 2048 (I really hope it's as good as HD/Fury was, but...again, I'll probably just get it on PS3, and I wonder if the majority of buyers won't share that preference), I already own Malicious, and none of the other titles really stand out enough to make me care about them.

Either way, I hope Vita sees some form of success, though I don't think it will outsell 3DS in any market. However, I don't believe that western-style* PSP-level "success" will be anywhere near enough for Sony, their shareholders or their software partners. Well, here's hoping for the best, anyway.

*to clarify.

btkadams

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread | Why are you buying this? It's already dead

It's got an almost Dr. Seussian quality to it. Bravo, Takao and Green Scar for that pic.

Looking forward most to Gravity Daze, Dragon's Crown (though I'll probably get it on PS3) and...err...um. Not really fussed over Uncharted and MinGol, and actually quite worried for Ridge Racer and WipEout 2048 (I really hope it's as good as HD/Fury was, but...again, I'll probably just get it on PS3, and I wonder if the majority of buyers won't share that preference), I already own Malicious, and none of the other titles really stand out enough to make me care about them.

Either way, I hope Vita sees some form of success, though I don't think it will outsell 3DS in any market. However, I don't believe that PSP-level "success" will be anywhere near enough for Sony, their shareholders or their software partners. Well, here's hoping for the best, anyway.
wipeout 2048 is coming to ps3? i thought the only relation with ps3 was playing the tracks that happen to also be in hd/fury online with ps3 players. i wasn't aware that anything from 2048 was actually getting a ps3 release.

Takao

Banned
If anyone still wants to read my OP, I've updated (read: copied Bad_Boy's post) it until Near. I'm almost done software stuff so I can actually get into PSP BC, Games, and Firmware Fixes.

Sylver

Banned
Only 2 months to go for me here. Mine already paid in full though I don't know what games I want on day one yet.

Mine too and Paid full price. I can't wait, I hope my retailer break the launch day a bit earlier like other times. :D Euro Vita+Uncharted <3

I very much doubt that there are that many people who earnestly believe the joke in the OP. Not sensible people at the very least.

I just want to see how it does into the new year, because it will sell out at launch, guaranteed.

Dambrosi

Banned
wipeout 2048 is coming to ps3? i thought the only relation with ps3 was playing the tracks that happen to also be in hd/fury online with ps3 players. i wasn't aware that anything from 2048 was actually getting a ps3 release.

Oh, is that so? I just saw that the game had Vita vs PS3 play, and just assumed that the game was, like Dragon's Crown, both Vita- and PS3-bound. If it's as you say, then I already have the PS3 game, and I don't need to get it on Vita! Hooray for saved pennies! :p

Takao

Banned
Oh, is that so? I just saw that the game had Vita vs PS3 play, and just assumed that the game was, like Dragon's Crown, both Vita- and PS3-bound. If it's as you say, then I already have the PS3 game, and I don't need to get it on Vita! Hooray for saved pennies! :p

Huh? 2048 is a brand new game. It just shares tracks with WipEout HD & Fury that allows Vita vs. PS3. There are tracks on 2048 that aren't on the PS3 in any form.

How comparable will the Vita browser be next to the stock Android browser?

Is it going to say anything under your Friends list status if you're playing a PSP/PS1 game, or is it just going to be blank (as if you're sitting there doing nothing) like PS3?
Will the Friends list/messaging be available while playing PS1/PSP software?

Anyway really looking forward to in-depth looks at the OS and how it really handles accounts...here's still hoping we can play digital Japanese Store content under our US/JP accounts for trophies...and convenience for the PSP/PS1 games.

Toki767

Have one paid off already but I really wish it came in a color other than black. Black is just not fingerprint friendly and it seems like Sony will never learn that.

Dunan

Lots of stores near me still have tons of them still at $199 just sitting there collecting dust. No doubt because the department manager doesn't want to take the loss on them and just keeps deferring taking the loss.

See one under $100, send me a PM; I've been jonesing for a black Go ever since I first got to try one.

@Toki767 -- I prefer black because it makes the screen look brighter and bigger. JMO.

btkadams

See one under $100, send me a PM; I've been jonesing for a black Go ever since I first got to try one.

@Toki767 -- I prefer black because it makes the screen look brighter and bigger. JMO.

if anyone sees a psp go for under $100, they need to buy it. it's a portable ps1/psp game player with tv out and dualshock support. best purchase of 2011 for me!

Toki767

I prefer black because it makes the screen look brighter and bigger. JMO.

It's definitely a fair point. I just don't understand why they can't release two colors. They can't seriously be underestimating how popular a white model would be.

btkadams

It's definitely a fair point. I just don't understand why they can't release two colors. They can't seriously be underestimating how popular a white model would be.

well, according to a famitsu poll, black was basically the most unpopular colour for vita, with white being in the top 5 favourites (maybe even number 1?). maybe they just want to save white for later so they can spike sales.

Different colours happen when you get all your ducks in a row manufacturing and logistics wise. Better to deal with defects on only one unit rather than multiple.

Different colours will come though
when Sony needs a little sales boost or is promoting something.

krae_man

Yeah, I'm Canadian. The extra shipping cost and tax would probably not make it worth it for you any longer.

putarorex

I've got a Bonenkai the night before the launch... Maybe the excitement of playing around with my PS Vita will be a good hangover cure. Probably not, but the launch on Saturday does mean no after-party for me, so less Karaoke and less drinking.

Emitan

Different colours happen when you get all your ducks in a row manufacturing and logistics wise. Better to deal with defects on only one unit rather than multiple.

Different colours will come though
when Sony needs a little sales boost or is promoting something.

I will break when they release a lime green one or a super awesome bundle with something. And not a moment sooner!

btkadams

so, why are 99% of all vita gameplay videos not direct-feed? i really want to see what wipeout 2048 looks like but all we seem to have is cam videos.

btkadams

Because the Vita does not have Video out?
there were vitas made with video out though. and regardless, devs could release direct-feed trailers.

Here's direct feed WipEout.

Anyways, I'm doing mutli-post OP since it got too big.
that one bugs me because the image is being stretched and rotated constantly. i also really want to see what the zones mode looks like outside of that cam vid posted earlier.

there were vitas made with video out though. and regardless, devs could release direct-feed trailers.

that one bugs me because the image is being stretched and rotated constantly. i also really want to see what the zones mode looks like outside of that cam vid posted earlier.

Yea, The dev units have video out.

Dartastic

Will buy after the redesign.

...can we get that started in here too? Kidding. Seriously though, I'm never buying a $249 handheld again. Call me when it gets under 200.

Amir0x

Banned
Curious to see what launch bugs people discover. I always love to hear the crazy shit that goes wrong with launch platforms. PSP had some fun problems

already got mine pre-ordered. Not so long after you Japanese duders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom