• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

nofi

The US store for Vita doesn't exist yet. Probably explains the Chinatown wars thing too.

So my import Vita won't connect to the Japanese Store from the UK? At least I didn't splash loads of cash on Japanese PSN Store codes... yet.

Right, need bloody carts now.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The US store for Vita doesn't exist yet. Probably explains the Chinatown wars thing too.

i think what is actually happening is that the PSP games need to be "refreshed" for "Vita" and that's not happened to US/Euro PSP games.

Initially i believed me not deauthing the machine was the problem - but others have tried that and still don't see their content.

So - this might be good news. When i set up my US account i -could- see the Japanese content but i suspect copying it over would have just given me a "please log in as the owner of this content" or something similar. Now if this is more to do with the PSP games needing to be redownloaded for the "Vita-compatible" version then that would make sense. I redownloaded a couple of US PSP games but they didn't show up.

The best outcome of this could be that it means that we -can- switch accounts without the deauth. But it really doesn't look like it'll be clear until US launch

re: Army Corps of Hell - played first level, really fun. Hoping it continues to be awesome because it could be a surprise hit :)

MightyKAC

Seems like some Vita units are crashing at least according to some Japanese websites

Apparently you can't turn it off so you have to wait until the battery is completely drained before being able to restart it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tteNE1fn6cI

That's weird. When I had my Vita crash on my I was able to hold down the power button and reset it just fine.

Although I guess he was updating the firmware so that might have something to do with it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Previous page says Store is IP locked.

I think it's just that he's trying to access the US store. You get an IP error but I think it's simply that the store isn't there yet. There's actually no way to absolutely test that until another store is opened - e.g. The Hong Kong one in a few days perhaps. I imagine you will be able to access those stores from their respective accounts once they exist.

edit - or more simply, when someone in the US or Europe gets their import, test it with their JPN account and see if they can access the store - I'd be almost certain it'll work, but I'll appreciate the confirmation :p

I don't know what the guy in the video did or what it says on the screen but if he tried to do something while updating the firmware. If I'm not mistaken, interrupting a device while it updates the firmware may brick it. Not saying that's what happened in the video but he seems to hold the powerbutton and nothing happens while others have said they had no problem resetting the Vita after holding down the power button. Or maybe he didn't hold down the power button long enough.

Gibbo

I'll probably get the Hk import version this Sunday. Any word of the prices for the games tho? Same as the jpn versions?

I'll probably get the Hk import version this Sunday. Any word of the prices for the games tho? Same as the jpn versions?

Should be way cheaper. I think PS3 games go for 350-400HKD tops, so it should be more than 350HKD. OFC this being HK expect them to try and rape you with mark-up.

Because Takao is depressed and can't get over MH.

Why? I'm sure Capcom will just port MH4 to Vita with a ton of new features 6 months after the 3DS version comes out. Anyone who thinks there will not be a MH on Vita is either stupid or don't know Capcom.
omxlA.png

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Why? I'm sure Capcom will just port MH4 to Vita with a ton of new features 6 months after the 3DS version comes out. Anyone who thinks there will not be a MH on Vita is either stupid or don't know Capcom.
omxlA.png

Did it really take you 27 pages to write that reply?

The person you're to replying to has become a different man ever since.

Did it really take you 27 pages to write that reply?

The person you're to replying to has become a different man ever since.

.....point taken but its more my reaction to the overall (and stupid) opinion that because 3DS gets MH first that 1. Vita is DOA and 2. Capcom will never make one for it. Which regardless of the person you referenced is still an argument that plenty of people make.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yep. Also, 30fps with framedrops, from the RedSunGamer stream.
So just as bad as the 3DS version then, huh? :(

I can't believe it's really just three tracks. It takes a lot to convince me to avoid a Ridge game but I think this nails. Really hoping they actually include a bunch of DLC tracks in the US version of the game.

So just as bad as the 3DS version then, huh? :(

I can't believe it's really just three tracks. It takes a lot to convince me to avoid a Ridge game but I think this nails. Really hoping they actually include a bunch of DLC tracks in the US version of the game.

it is WAY worse than the 3DS version. it stutters around most corners! you'll be wishing for the 3DS game's performance.

the main menu is pretty amazing, though. almost worth buying for that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
it is WAY worse than the 3DS version. it stutters around most corners! you'll be wishing for the 3DS game's performance.

Worse? Seriously?! The 3DS game slows down fairly regularly as it is. If it's really worse then they wasted their time completely.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
.....point taken but its more my reaction to the overall (and stupid) opinion that because 3DS gets MH first that 1. Vita is DOA and 2. Capcom will never make one for it. Which regardless of the person you referenced is still an argument that plenty of people make.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, but you're missing the context; Takao's forum personality's screws literally loosened after the MH announcement lol.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

The menu alone could be 400 of the 560MB of Ridge Racer :p Very sleek. If only we could say good things for the game itself.

Seeing a bit of Dynasty Warriors Next through yesterday's RSG streaming. It seems good, but I would have liked seeing more about the touch interaction, the most interesting aspect about the game since its announcement IMHO.

And the OS is good. SO GOOD. :D

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
How solid does the vita feel?
Is it similar to the original PSP?
Thanks.

Its very light compared to the original PSP and thus feels less sturdy, but I love it.

extra info for fun: The stick placement feels good. Less strain on the tips of my thumbs compared to PSP. Did not have cramped hands after todays gaming.
Screen really is gorgeous. I dont understand the nitpicking about resolutions here. Whatever the resolution Uncharted is in, it still looks fantastic on a 5 inch screen, and definitely when in motion. Dont care about how it looks on a monitor blown up, it looks good on my handheld.

I only played a few demos, and concentrated more on my bought Uncharted.

Shooting is not as easy as I assumed it would be. Lot more difficult to adjust to it as the stick accelerates so soon. Needs more light touch as this is a mini dualshock. Still trying also to find the best combo with Motion Aim. My brain tells me to tilt the console the wrong way and if I change to reverse in setting, I still mess up often so I need more time to get adjusted.
The in game puzzles seem nice and I like the element of finding treasures and taking photos. I have totally converted to touch screen climbing as it is so well done. Most of the small UI touches and slides are a nice addition. Like the BND logo on Drake's back as it's normally ND. :) Tree trunk balancing is boring but easy to do. Should be scrapped in future games.
The game is definitely Uncharted but compressed to a handheld. Looks, sounds and plays a lot like the big versions. Big vistas and big musical scores.

Vita UI is fast as hell and easy to use now that I've had it a bit longer. Has some annoyances like: 1. cant touch pop-up message to open straight away to that message, but is fast to do from the menu anyway. 2. Vita sometimes installs apps or games when you use main UI elements, cutting you off from whatever you were doing e.g. using browser. Why not do in the background? 3. No Youtube support yet which is strange.
PSN store is more logical than on PS3. I would love to see more apps soon for this device as the Twitter stuff and NicoNico are very well done. Why is there still no Toro cat in other countries? Adorable. Sony mascot and all.

Overall, I feel this device is very flexible for various tasks, works fast and I can easily see the potential when it comes to content. Horsepower and usability is there, so all we need is devs to deliver more stuff soon. This device feels like the thing I expected PSP to be (except one account hassle).

I paired a BT wireless headset with the system no problem at all (just like PS3 setup) and used it to talk to my friend on his Vita (across the country) through Party while we played different games. Pretty awesome, if you ask me.

can you listen to the game audio like on the PSPGo ?
how about playing with a DualShock3?

I guess the only use for a jp 3G Vita if locked is the built-in GPS, right?

ACH1LL3US

Worse? Seriously?! The 3DS game slows down fairly regularly as it is. If it's really worse then they wasted their time completely.

I don't think its worse then the 3DS version, that redsun stream was choppy to begin with, look at this vid of Ridge Racer on the vita someone posted yesterday, it looks amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25v19F32GIE

I think Namco will be releasing the US version with much more content, but we will see if that is true or not.

The game looks smooth as butter to me :eek:

gkryhewy

I don't think its worse then the 3DS version, that redsun stream was choppy to begin with, look at this vid of Ridge Racer on the vita someone posted yesterday, it looks amazing!
I agree that it looks good, but there are a lot of frame drops in that video around turns and over jumps. If that's a video in one of the first classes and with no nitrous, it's a bad sign, since the 3DS rev didn't really chug until the combination of nitrous with higher classes.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
hm. so yeah. i travel a lot.

i need a good vita case that holds EVERYTHING. any recommendations?

EVERYTHING meaning, games/cards/power brick/dock/usb cables and extra room if needed

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'd like to hear more details impressions of the sticks: how much resistance and travel do they offer? How do they compare to the 3DS circle pad?

I used to loathe the idea of analog sliders, but the 3DS turned me into a believer. I fell in love with it after 3DLand and MK7, and I'd hate for the Vita's sticks to feel like a step backwards.

PunchyBoy

Banned
I'd like to hear more details impressions of the sticks: how much resistance and travel do they offer? How do they compare to the 3DS circle pad?

I used to loathe the idea of analog sliders, but the 3DS turned me into a believer. I fell in love with it after 3DLand and MK7, and I'd hate for the Vita's sticks to feel like a step backwards.

I fear the Vita's ones are tiny...

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Yeah, I'm aware of that. Anything larger than the PSP's nub is an improvemt, though. If they're as big as the custom nub I've been using for years, they'd be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom