• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceatcs

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Anything larger than the PSP's nub is an improvemt, though. If they're as big as the custom nub I've been using for years, they'd be perfect.

I think Vita is about same size as psp nub, but of course it has much better non-slip material than PSP.
PSP's nub are far too slippery.

Vita's stick look like it have lot more movements and ease to move than PSP's nub.

iceatcs

Hmm, sounds like I'm gonna rely on 3rd party accessories again.

I'm not sure if it can removable like PSP's nubs. I suspect it will have to clamp on these.
I've only played it for 20 minutes with 2 games, Uncharted and Pool game. The control wasn't too bad, pool is easy to get used because not much need to control the vertical view.
Uncharted might need get used to it for bit, just like play a new FPS game.

Hmm, sounds like I'm gonna rely on 3rd party accessories again.

23n6n.jpg

It seems similar in size, but Vita ones seems real thumbstick, instead of thumbslides.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, it's so tempting to import one of these, but with the US launch in less than 2 months it seems silly not to wait.

Any French gaffers know of potential shops around Lyon that could sell something like this (or is it still illegal to import them into Europe)?

Takao

Banned
Why has nobody done a battery life test yet?!

People are actually playing games. I know with the 3DS's launch that may have been a shocking thing to hear people say. :p

I'm kinda not since most ppl bought a memory card as well, not to mention we don't know how many of them went home and bought games on PSN at the discounted prices.

Actually, 1:1 is kind of high. Usually you don't get every person buying a game at launch.

I would check re: Mingol PSN version before ditching your hardcopy game. On the 8-4 podcast it says Mingol requires additional purchase of Online pass, which the hardcopy version doesn't need.

I doubt the PSN version requires an additional online pass purchase. Sony's done them in the past with PSP games, and if you buy it on PSN, it's included within the game.

That won't happen. Capcom'll localize the 3DS version. It's one reason why MH is done on PSP/Vita, since I'm sure Nintendo will give it a big push in the West like with Tri.

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd on PSP/PS3 is not the same game as Monster Hunter Tri G on 3DS. There is no 3DS version of that PSP game.

Set up a jpn account to havea look at thestore and download demos, but will switch to myUS account before playing retail games. Also no wifi in our house so need to find a hotspot tomorrow for more demos. Only managedto download ar combat which was confusing. Hopefully it wasnt the same game as in the recent AR showreel, because while playing in your living room is cute, it doesn't seem to use objects as obstacles

AR Combat Digi Q is not the same tank game (Pocket War) that appeared in that montage. Digi Q is a Konami title based off of remote control tank toys. Sony's making the games in that montage.

Pretty sure I've read every page and not seen this asked..
Do psminis transfer across ok?

Japan doesn't have a Minis line, localized Minis titles just appear as regular PSN games. But yes, they should work.

And Capcom has a history of going exclusive - does it make any sense for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom to be Wii-only? They never bothered porting that over. If there's a company that does things like this, it's Capcom.

Capcom is bizarre. Apparently the western divisions always knew that Monster Hunter was going to struggle in the west if it didn't have an online mode. So rather than spring for Japan to give them an online mode for the western releases, or keep that in mind for future releases, they sprung for an online mode in Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom - a game that sold worse than the PSP iterations of MH in the west. Sense, it makes none.

It's not only Nintendo, Capcom just wants maximum revenue with as little money spent as possible. They don't want to redo all their models in HD so the 3DS is perfect. They'll keep doing this until all systems require higher resolution textures.

But by going 3DS they actually will be losing revenue. If they had gone Vita, they'd have assets to make PC, PS3, 360, Wii U, iPad, iPhone, and current gen Android games. With the quality of graphics 3DS provides you, the only active platform for asset ports is Wii, and there's no way that gets another Monster Hunter at this point.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've heard everyone say the dpad is much better than PSP. I think it's because Nintendo's crosspad patent expired this year, lol

iceatcs

Complains are about stick? Are they at least better than 3DS ones? (which are good imo).

Well it is surprise tiny when first look. Like 2 wee mushrooms pop up on Vita.

I'm not a best person how the sticks felt like. Cos I only played for 20 mins. It do well on my hand. I dunno if it will do well for if anyone have really huge or deformed hands.

Raine

The sticks are better than the slider. It was weird at first because you still have to adjust to them being a bit smaller than the DS3. Actually, once you get started using it, it's the most natural I've ever felt using an analog on a handheld. I can't play the 3DS for long using the slidepad because my hands will get cramped. It was hell trying to beat OoT. It was a nice change with the sticks.

KAL2006

Banned
Actually when I tried the Vita myself at Eurogamer, I was surprised how tiny the analogs were, I hope this isn't a huge problem from the system. Maybe it takes time to get used to, or maybe software hasn't been optimised for tiny sticks, I'm just hoping controls become easier with newer games wether the user just gets used to smaller sticks or the software improves with the controls.

rpmurphy

Any detailed impressions of the browser? The one thing I'm curious about is if you click on a nicovid link if it will prompt to go to that video on the app.

Takao

Banned
Seeing a bit of Dynasty Warriors Next through yesterday's RSG streaming. It seems good, but I would have liked seeing more about the touch interaction, the most interesting aspect about the game since its announcement IMHO.

Sarcasm?

vil3b.gif

nepDt.gif

spj3G.gif

Do you get an AR card that you see in the trailers with the system?

Apparently, not. Which raises the question of what people will do if they want to download the AR games from PSN... The freemium AR launch game is markerless so that doesn't matter.

Zutroy

Apparently, not. Which raises the question of what people will do if they want to download the AR games from PSN... The freemium AR launch game is markerless so that doesn't matter.

That seems an odd choice. Maybe they'll just stick it on a website for people to print out themselves?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Eurogamer mentioned this:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-18-at-vitas-launch-a-special-report-from-tokyo-article

In response to this, mobile-internet operator E Mobile is offering a special plan for its Pocket Wi-Fi hotspot-caster, which runs at a whopping 42 Mbps and can be used anywhere and with any Wi-Fi device. Entering a two-year contract meant a discount of about 10,000 yen (£83) on the Vita itself, off the retail price of 24,980 yen (£207) for the Wi-Fi model and 29,980 yen (£248) for the 3G model. Many stores hammered this service hard as customers lined up.

Will be interesting if there are similar subsidy plans elsewhere.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
That seems an odd choice. Maybe they'll just stick it on a website for people to print out themselves?

I think they'll sell them for a small amount...covering the cost of your three 'free' AR games off PSN.

But I imagine they'll work with printouts.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This french guy is a respected gamer/blogger and he was not convinced by Uncharted: http://gamingsince198x.fr/entre-nous/playstation-vita-la-portable-ultime/

He says it is the best looking game on a handheld, but then complains about framerate issues which spoil the experience. About Modnation Racer, he says it's a joke with huge framerate issues, huge loading times, while the game is slow and bad looking. About the hardware he says the screen is not the wowser psp was at the time, and analog sticks feel fragile.

Takao

Banned
This french guy is a respected gamer/blogger and he was not convinced by Uncharted: http://gamingsince198x.fr/entre-nous/playstation-vita-la-portable-ultime/

He says it is the best looking game on a handheld, but then complains about framerate issues which spoil the experience. About Modnation Racer, he says it's a joke with huge framerate issues, huge loading times, while the game is slow and bad looking. About the hardware he says the screen is not the wowser psp was at the time, and analog sticks feel fragile.

I didn't notice any frame rate drops during the Red Sun Gamer stream. And he must be a time traveler to have played a finished copy of Modnation Racers, given that game isn't out anywhere in the world on PSV.

kadotsu

Banned
I didn't notice any frame rate drops during the Red Sun Gamer stream. And he must be a time traveler to have played a finished copy of Modnation Racers, given that game isn't out anywhere in the world on PSV.

Hence the loading time complain. Duh!

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
He played the last demos for both games, may explain the issues.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Impossible.

I know, right?

They're definitely smaller than the PSP's, as for the 3DS comparison, I'm merely going by side by side size comparisons. Would love for someone to debunk it though. My reasonably sized fingers can't handle anything smaller than than the 3DS face buttons.

snap0212

Not sure how much it matters that he's "respected" when everyone else seems to have a completely different experience/opinion about these things. Especially the screen comment is weird... anyone who has seen an OLED screen and has compared it to other products on the market should clearly see the difference to all the other screens.

He's also lying if he claims to have played the full version of ModNation Racers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom