• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
This is where Friend List on handhelds are kind of useless -- thanks to weak battery tech. To save battery life no one will have wifi on unless the game needs it, so you'll never see many people online with Vita -- exactly like the 3DS.
That's odd, I always play with wifi on with 3DS since it is on a network like Live or PSN.
I'll be doing the same with Vita.

Now that I think about it though, it is kind of useless on 3DS unless the game is 'online' since you can't send messages or do much with it.

Andrefpvs

I know about 1.5, it's just that the Engadget article seemed to imply there was a new one.

Guess they were just horribly late to report it.

newsguy

Is there any confirmation about lower prices for digital downloads? Just wondering because if it's not cheaper then I'm buying a 4 gig card.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any 3DS + Vita owners here? Since there is no garbage thread yet I'll ask this here.

I have figured I can really afford to have one, a Vita or a 3DS, and if I was to get Vita I better turn in my 3DS in before Christmas so that I get the best possible trade-in value for it.

On my 3DS I will have completed Pilotwings, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7 and Zelda OOT, and there isn't really much in the 2012 roster that interests me - Layton mainly.

Does the Vita feel like a real console is my main question? Because one of my main frustrations with the PSP was how dumbed down the games felt.

It feels like a little ps3 in your hands. Some rough edges on launch games, and I'm not saying it can exactly duplicate ps3 games - it just feels like one. The added PSN integration helps a lot to make it feel fleshed out. Hell, cross game chat beats ps3 :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any impressions of little deviants? Called something else in Japan and is download only. Was considering buying a ¥2000 psn card to check it out

and will the mingol online pass redeem against a us psn account?

ZarraN

Banned
Some quick question I haven't a found a answer too.

1. Is it easy and fast to backup your content to your PC?
2. How long does it take for example to transfer 4gb of data from your PC to Vita?
3. What is the transfer speed on the memory cards?
3. Can you recharge your battery via the USB?
4. How is the web browsing experience compared to a iPad?

sajj316

So far so good .. no major gripes from GAF. Knock on wood #1. I'm expecting a pretty smooth launch in the US with fixed issues uncovered from the Japan launch. Knock on wood #2.

Love all these videos. It's like I have it but I don't.

AwShucks

Here is the direct link to the video on Youtube if you dont want to go through Kotaku first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cKQ3AnXZVT4

I'm still curious why ther title screen on the two versions are different (one is japanese and one is english), and if this has anything to do with the difference in preformance, if there are two different versions of the game.

I really don't know why somebody didn't answer you but it says right in the article "(Note: Kotaku Japan set one of its Vitas to English as the default language, hence the English language Uncharted title screen.)"

Takao

Banned

2. How long does it take for example to transfer 4gb of data from your PC to Vita?

I don't know the others, but for those two, you can indeed recharge via USB, and you're probably going to get a better browsing experience on the iPad.

Gacha-pin

Stealth edit
1. yes
2. 10 to 15min approximately for backup or restoration. Might be under 5min for a simple data transfer.
3. yes
4. ...

Somthing is wrong with the numbering.

Satchel

Banned
Are all these 'issues' being talked about from the Engadget article really that widespread? Or is it a result of the age we live in with social media where we hear about every little fucking thing no matter how big or small the scale?

Are all these 'issues' being talked about from the Engadget article really that widespread? Or is it a result of the age we live in with social media where we hear about every little fucking thing no matter how big or small the scale?

Most likely the latter rather than the former.

Also, the lack of in-depth Mingol 6 impressions and screen shots are truly disturbing.

Raonak

Banned
Can someone explain the PS3 transfering.

When I was watching the redsungamer feed; when they tried transfering stuff from the PS3, it said the content would be deleted from the ps3 afterwards. Is that true????

Major problem for me if thats the case. My PS3 held all my PSP games, and i would just transfer the ones i needed. >:|

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

what issues are those? I have only heard of the occasional freeze, which is fixed by a simple reset.

When I was watching the redsungamer feed; when they tried transfering stuff from the PS3, it said the content would be deleted from the ps3 afterwards. Is that true????

Major problem for me if thats the case. My PS3 held all my PSP games, and i would just transfer the ones i needed. >:|

That sounds needlessly annoying.

I watched the stream too, I understood what they said as the Vira content manager automatically deletes download Vita specific content after its been transferred to your Vita.

This sounds like a horrible decision that I hope will be patched by a firmware update. I too use my PS3 to store all my PSP and PSX games. And the most recent update that prohibits the transfer of installed PSP & PSX games pisses me off. I want to use my PS3 as my handheld's digital refridgeratar!

Satchel

Banned
what issues are those? I have only heard of the occasional freeze, which is fixed by a simple reset.

The Engadget article talked about unresponsive touchscreens, software freezes, hardware issues, based on 'twitter activity'.

Sounds liek this is going to be the thing now every console launch.

A handful of people make their voice heard and suddenyl, every console is unreliable. Fucking internet.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
The Engadget article talked about unresponsive touchscreens, software freezes, hardware issues, based on 'twitter activity'.

Sounds liek this is going to be the thing now every console launch.

A handful of people make their voice heard and suddenyl, every console is unreliable. Fucking internet.

dunno about the hardware issues. the rest don't sound too bad, just reset and it'll be fine.

Raonak

Banned
Some titles (wipeout, little deviants, reality fighters) are currently 29.99 on gamestop.com, FYI. Could mean a low MSRP, or just be a nice deal.

I remember someone talking about vita having tiered pricing. Great if true. Hopefully catches on to consoles next generation. Some games just aren't worth $60.

-Sony sorta does it with move titles, they're allways $40, which i love :D

Raonak

Banned
i'll field this one seeing as no one else is ;) - Ipad is superior.

It only scored 60/450 on a browser test website. horrible. no audio, no video (no flash or html5), don't think it even does javascript.

Hopefully a firmware update is coming for it.

Jomjom

Banned
I was feeling super negative about the PSV as more and more bad news came in. But after watching the 10 hour or so stream that RedSunGamer tirelessly did, my preorder is back in!

It's just too damn sexy not to get.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I was feeling super negative about the PSV as more and more bad news came in. But after watching the 10 hour or so stream that RedSunGamer tirelessly did, my preorder is back in!

It's just too damn sexy not to get.

What bad news? Have you been lurking too much in Pramath's thread? lol.

spwolf

It only scored 60/450 on a browser test website. horrible. no audio, no video (no flash or html5), don't think it even does javascript.

Hopefully a firmware update is coming for it.

i dont think it is that horrible... what i read in this thread was that it does fine, just doesnt let you play html5 videos or games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom