• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radec

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Mobile Data (3G) ON (but is probably over-riden by...
Wifi ON (connected to home network) -- this means I was getting notifications/etc the whole time, all on
Brightness MAX
Headphones, volume at 50%

Full to Death: 4:29
Warning notice came on at 4:11

This is actually great.

So we can actually get 5 hours with brightness @ 30-50% and wifi off ?

Much better than my GSII lol.

Certainly by no means great, but good since it's PSP/3DS level of life. It's doable though still disappointing, but is exactly what Sony pitched as battery life for it.

It's way better than 3ds. Don't want to start a pissing contest but my 3ds doesn't last more than 2 hours everything on max while playing sm3dland.
4h with max setting is way more than I expected from the vita, it's even better than the psp @ max setting.

Am I crazy, or is this noticeably better than the PSP, even?
It's probably a combination of non-removable battery, which allows for a basically "injectable" battery shape like iPhone, and the large surface area of the Vita itself allowing for a wider battery. I personally would've welcomed a Vita with PSP-1000 thickness - with OLED and no UMD, that would've been battery life to behold.

Dragon

Banned
I'd like to know this too. I know not all games support Party chat due to some knocking you off the network but hopefully all games support custom soundtracks.

I would think they would, but it doesn't disable the game's music which is unfortunate. I watched the RedSunGamer guys playing Uncharted and it just played over the music of the game. Maybe that's expecting too much but there it is.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's probably a combination of non-removable battery, which allows for a basically "injectable" battery shape like iPhone, and the large surface area of the Vita itself allowing for a wider battery. I personally would've welcomed a Vita with PSP-1000 thickness - with OLED and no UMD, that would've been battery life to behold.

You can remove the battery though.

darkwing

I would think they would, but it doesn't disable the game's music which is unfortunate. I watched the RedSunGamer guys playing Uncharted and it just played over the music of the game. Maybe that's expecting too much but there it is.

yup, you have to lower the game music in the game itself

iceatcs

Actually Vita look like has a removable smartphone battery. I think it is replaceable but not sure about the warranty. It was in talk much early in this thread.

Replicant

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Wifi ON (connected to home network) -- this means I was getting notifications/etc the whole time, all on
Bluetooth OFF
Brightness MAX (note: Brightness in OS MAX, caps in-game at about 80% [battery saving measure -- even 80% brightness is really bright...])
Near Auto-Updating ON

Time was spent: Play UMvC3 from Game Card (including about 30 minutes of Online play)
Occasionally flipping to Web Browser for quick look-ups, as well as Trophies app to check trophies (game kept running in the background, obviously)

Only 4.5 hrs? Muffin will go Nuclear! It's gonna be Apocalyptic!

320k units sold apparently

Out of 700k?

Not bad Bomba!

Fixed

Raonak

Banned
Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Brightness MAX (note: Brightness in OS MAX, caps in-game at about 80% [battery saving measure -- even 80% brightness is really bright...])
Near Auto-Updating ON

Time was spent: Play UMvC3 from Game Card (including about 30 minutes of Online play)
Occasionally flipping to Web Browser for quick look-ups, as well as Trophies app to check trophies (game kept running in the background, obviously)

Wow, thats much better than I expected.
Sony said ~5 hours, which to me meant that I would have to play with wifi off, brightness 0. etc, to get anywhere near the 5 hours.

FireCloud

That's true. I guess you'd have to turn down the in game BGM on Uncharted if you wanted to use custom soundtracks. Also, I think I remember from the RSG feed that some titles didn't allow for custom soundtracks. I guess Sony left it up to the devs to decide if their titles would support custom soundtracks.

Not sure if Probably posted already - Playstation Vita Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 gameplay. This guy is making tons of videos with Q&A too.

EDIT: LOL just watched a vid where he mentioned GAF. I take it its someone here?

Maybe Nuclear Muffin was describing the launch sales?

F*ck! Spoilers everywhere!
grin.gif

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Not bad expected worse. Can you do a test on movies as well?

I can do a movie test today, just by looping the same video while I sit here at my desk. I will use full brightness and headphones on full blast. PSP lasted hours and hours, so I will get back to you at night I assume.

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

Wow! That's a lot better than I was expecting. Looks like there are no real complaints to be had about the battery life at all.

Thanks for doing this (about time somebody did one!)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

4:30 with brightness MAX is excellent, that probably means 5:30 with brightness at mid level, which is more time than I can play in a day 99% of the year.
It also means I won't need to buy a Nyko product as I had to do for the 3DS, so that I can go for a larger memory stick instead.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

Very, very nice. I guess the lack of an optical drive and OLED screen helps a lot. I think this is thread worthy.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Can hardly believe how simple and easy it is to transfer files back and forth between the Vita and the PC. Apple, take notes, and kill iTunes with fire!

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Meisadragon said:
Very, very nice. I guess the lack of an optical drive and OLED screen helps a lot. I think this is thread worthy.
UMD doesn't even factor into this.
4.5 hours with WiFI/3G ON is considerably better then PSP ever did just using Memory Sticks (or PSP GO).
For that matter it's way better then what I can ever get out of 3DS as well.

UMD doesn't even factor into this.
4.5 hours with WiFI/3G ON is considerably better then PSP ever did just using Memory Sticks (or PSP GO).
For that matter it's way better then what I can ever get out of 3DS as well.

Max brightness too! (though they cheat when playing games, by making 80% the max)

I'd guess that 5.5-6 hours is the max you'll get out of it in the best case scenario (3DS nets 6.5 hours at best). Very good battery life, all things considered (it's better than the iPhone 4 and 4s!)

Can hardly believe how simple and easy it is to transfer files back and forth between the Vita and the PC. Apple, take notes, and kill iTunes with fire!
MediaGO? Since it seems we won't able to keep Vita games on the PS3 once transferred, this might be the most viable option.

wazoo

MEDIA GO is a good system. Considering I have alway my laptop with me, it makes the capacity for storage of games a non issue, and the USB charging helps also for the battery.

PC laptop + MEDIA GO + Vita : best match

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
MediaGO? Since it seems we won't able to keep Vita games on the PS3 once transferred, this might be the most viable option.

No, I'm using the app on the Vita, content manager or whatever it's called in english (using swedish). Amazing stuff right there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom