• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vita Japanese Launch Thread. "APOCALYPTIC!" says concerned Nuclear Muffin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
How does that work, do you have to install a program on the PC or what?

I didn't, as far as I can remember though. Do believe Vista recognized the Vita right away when I plugged it in. but there's a minor setup procedure where you pick sync. folders and such.

Damn, I can't really remember the exact details, but it was easy as pie! Anyone else care to fill in the blanks?

mandiller

I would think they would, but it doesn't disable the game's music which is unfortunate. I watched the RedSunGamer guys playing Uncharted and it just played over the music of the game. Maybe that's expecting too much but there it is.

What's the point of it then? Why wouldn't Sony build the functionality into the software from the start to mute game music? Makes no sense.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I didn't, as far as I can remember though. Do believe Vista recognized the Vita right away when I plugged it in. but there's a minor setup procedure where you pick sync. folders and such.

Damn, I can't really remember the exact details, but it was easy as pie! Anyone else care to fill in the blanks?

I think you do install a program. It sits in the background on your PC. Everything is then controlled from the Vita, which I believe is the big difference vs PSP.

Dwayne

What's the point of it then? Why wouldn't Sony build the functionality into the software from the start to mute game music? Makes no sense.

It's up to the developer to disable their own music when the music app is playing, not Sony. In this case it appears Bend has fallen short, but maybe it'll be corrected (among other things) for the western release.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I think you do install a program. It sits in the background on your PC. Everything is then controlled from the Vita, which I believe is the big difference vs PSP.

Probably true, but maybe the Vita installed it. Either way it's ridiculously simple! :)

patsu

Does Near works on Wi-Fi as well? Any feature exclusive to 3G?

It should work since Vita can estimate your location based on Wifi alone. It may not be accurate though.

Some games support 3G gaming modes.

Any location based games ports from smartphones should take better advantage of 3G too.

Ravage

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Mobile Data (3G) ON (but is probably over-riden by...
Wifi ON (connected to home network) -- this means I was getting notifications/etc the whole time, all on
Bluetooth OFF
Brightness MAX (note: Brightness in OS MAX, caps in-game at about 80% [battery saving measure -- even 80% brightness is really bright...])
Near Auto-Updating ON
Headphones, volume at 50%

Time was spent: Play UMvC3 from Game Card (including about 30 minutes of Online play)
Occasionally flipping to Web Browser for quick look-ups, as well as Trophies app to check trophies (game kept running in the background, obviously)

Full to Death: 4:29
Warning notice came on at 4:11

What the...that's pretty good o.0

Kazerei

Banned
Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Wifi ON (connected to home network) -- this means I was getting notifications/etc the whole time, all on
Bluetooth OFF
Brightness MAX (note: Brightness in OS MAX, caps in-game at about 80% [battery saving measure -- even 80% brightness is really bright...])
Near Auto-Updating ON

Time was spent: Play UMvC3 from Game Card (including about 30 minutes of Online play)
Occasionally flipping to Web Browser for quick look-ups, as well as Trophies app to check trophies (game kept running in the background, obviously)

Nice! I think we can cross battery life off the list of of PS Vita flaws, pramath :p

To be fair, OLED only saves power when displaying dark colours (like in MvsC3). When displaying all white, it actually sucks up more battery power than an LCD of equivalent size/luminescence.
Maybe? LCD has a backlight that used to be very power hungry (cold cathode florescent = household Florescent lighting without the heater elements at each end to vaporize the mercury so voltages of up to 600 volts are across the tubes to vaporize/plasma-ize the mercury). We now use LEDs with diffusion plastic sheets behind LCD panels...much more efficient than older cold cathode florescent.

Now for the difference which Nuclear Muffin described. The LEDs being used as a backlight in LCD displays are always on 100% unless in standby. OLED has individual LEDs on the screen providing the light. Black is 100% black as there is no leak through a LCD screen and no power consumption because no LED is being powered. 100% white screen has all oleds turned on which is maximum power. Does this draw more power than the LED backlit LCD panel...I don't know? It is brighter and easier to see in bright light/outside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OLED said:
An OLED display works without a backlight. Thus, it can display deep black levels and can be thinner and lighter than liquid crystal displays (LCDs). In low ambient light conditions such as dark rooms an OLED screen can achieve a higher contrast ratio than an LCD, whether the LCD uses either cold cathode fluorescent lamps or the more recently developed LED backlight. Due to their low thermal conductivity, they typically emit less light per area than inorganic LEDs
OLEDs can not be driven as hard (creates heat which can not be dissipated as fast as inorganic LEDs deposited on sapphire substrates directly attached to metal or ceramic heat sinks). Roughly one inorganic LED can emit more light than perhaps 1000 OLEDs but there are 2 million OLEDs+ on a TV screen. OLED screens (many thousands of OLED elements in one screen) are being produced for lighting because it's more efficient than one or several LEDs for lighting. So Maybe at 100% brightness a OLED screen is less efficient than a LED backlit LCD screen but I doubt it.

sphinx

the piano man
Nice! I think we can cross battery life off the list of of PS Vita flaws, pramath :p

Sure, if we pretend a Nintendo DS with a +8 hours of Battery life never existed.

don't get me wrong, this news that battery life is over 4 hours is great but it's not optimal.

Thoraxes

Battery Test:

3G/Wifi Model
Bluetooth OFF
Near Auto-Updating ON

Sounds nice and par for the course. Glad to see it's not as terrible as some people would've led me to believe, so hopefully, like all other handheld systems, disabling other features will get me much longer than the minimum.

ballerusk

Anyone received their Vita from Play-Asia yet? Mine got sent yesterday, but hasn't left HK according to the tracking number from FedEx. However it's supposed to be delivered by December 23 so I guess I just have to be patient. I'm not a jedi unfortunately. It's my own fault for not ordering before last Friday, I was tempted in the last minute :-D

And now I regret not ordering some kind of pouch, any of these any good?

jonno394

Just a quick question as I have never used PSN on the PSP, but will I be able to use the same PSN account on my vita as I use on my PS3, thus accessing the same PSN wallet as I use on my PS3?

My local gamestation as a sale on the old style PSN points (the old BD case ones are £25 for £35 PSN) so I was thinking on stocking up a few of these and putting them on to my PSN for launch.

It should work since Vita can estimate your location based on Wifi alone. It may not be accurate though.

Some games support 3G gaming modes.

Any location based games ports from smartphones should take better advantage of 3G too.
Location can be from (WiFi) IP address lookup tables to roughly square mile accuracy (maybe better soon), through multiple cell towers (3G) to several hundred feet depending on the number of cell towers received or GPS to within 10 feet or less. Vita with 3G includes GPS, Vita without 3G does not have GPS. So location with the latter is from IP lookup tables only (WiFi).

3G is not GPS however....many phones provide location services using a multi-tower based system not GPS which makes it a buyer beware, need to do homework to insure you have GPS.

Patsu: both the Vita and PS3 are FreeBSD with NetBSD routines. " eCos is used to provide the Playstation's (PS3) Wi-Fi support based on the Marvell 88W8580 WLAN chip."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33068144&postcount=1040

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33534457&postcount=1094

Intellectual property listing for the Vita has Handwriting to text software, Vita is getting the Netfront NX browser (front end) probably supported by Open source = cairo/webkit provided by Sony. Gstreamer is not listed but the MpegLA MP4 codec is listed but not required to be listed. IT requires a player to plug into. My guess is Gstreamer due to SNAP, the PS3 webkit disclosure and Sony networked TVs and blu-ray players mentioning it. Since it's not disclosed it must be purchased.

Lists what Sony has to provide and what Netfront NX provides:

diagram2.png

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
So wait.. the Vita doesn't come with a pouch?
Not even a small one like the PSP did??? :(

No, only cables and the console. Cheapest PSP like pouch was 1600 yen. Same style but also wraps around the end which on PSP was open. Many models were available ranging between 1600-5000 yen.

Just a quick question as I have never used PSN on the PSP, but will I be able to use the same PSN account on my vita as I use on my PS3, thus accessing the same PSN wallet as I use on my PS3?

My local gamestation as a sale on the old style PSN points (the old BD case ones are £25 for £35 PSN) so I was thinking on stocking up a few of these and putting them on to my PSN for launch.

Yes you can, at least the japanese store. I would not expect any different from other PSN stores.

Also update on my movie test. 4 hours and battery looks to be at 50%. Might have to redo tomorrow if it doesn't run out before I go to bed.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
After J-GAFfers take a break from all the requests, they should perform a best-case battery scenario. Mainly 50% (or lower) brightness with WiFi/3G/Bluetooth turned off.

Not only you can, you have to if you don't want to deal with annoying process of factory resetting your Vita. Stick to same PSN account for PS3 and Vita, and you will be fine.

Jaroof

No, only cables and the console. Cheapest PSP like pouch was 1600 yen. Same style but also wraps around the end which on PSP was open. Many models were available ranging between 1600-5000 yen.

That sucks :/
Oh well.. I'll just buy one when it comes out.

Does the Vita have some sort of Activity Log equivalent? This is seriously a huge deal to me, it's one of my favorite parts of the 3DS.

Anyone have any info on this?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Also, is the "Near" feature about the same as Streetpass?

There's a big difference in that you do not have to actually pass someone - be in the right place at the right time. In streetpass you have to be joined by space and time, with near, just being joined by space will do. So you'll get lots more 'hits' if you like, lots more opportunities for interaction, and you can slice and dice things by location.

TheFreshPrince

I've got a 10 000 PSN Card....which 2 should I get?? I've already got Uncharted, UMvC3, and HotShotsGolf.

Any opinions on:

Lords of Apocalypse
Army Corps of Hell
Little Deviants
Disgaea 3 Returns
Katamari

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There's a big difference in that you do not have to actually pass someone - be in the right place at the right time. In streetpass you have to be joined by space and time, with near, just being joined by space will do. So you'll get lots more 'hits' if you like, lots more opportunities for interaction, and you can slice and dice things by location.
Nice :) (though I like the tension brought by streetpass: everytime I walk, I now look at people wondering if they could have a 3DS :)

legbone

So wait.. the Vita doesn't come with a pouch?
Not even a small one like the PSP did??? :(

i'm going to class it up and use a crown royal bag until i find a case or pouch that i like. i think it really sucks that it doesn't even come with a cheap pouch. oh well.

DCharlie

Banned
Lords of Apocalypse
Army Corps of Hell
Little Deviants
Disgaea 3 Returns
Katamari

Power Smash Tennis ;)

Of those, i've not tried Katamari AT ALL (not sure why!) but i hear it's excellent.

Lords of Apocalypse seems average, Little Deviants is okay, Disgaea is Disgaea and obviously heavy Japanese.

Army Corps of Hell is my -game for tomorrow- , the opening level was excellent and hoping the game can really build on a promissing opening.

So is play Asia the cheapest place to import games? My brother just bought one and he needs games.

Also is there an English option in the japanese everyones golf 6?

So is play Asia the cheapest place to import games? My brother just bought one and he needs games.

Also is there an English option in the japanese everybody loves golf ?

AFAIK only Uncharted features full English language. Also, P-A is never the cheapest place for anything, however right now expect crazy mark-ups everywhere.

ballerusk

I've checked a few places and Play-Asia seems to be around the same price as everybody else, unless you buy directly from someone in Japan or maybe find something on eBay.

Regarding Minna No Golf, I haven't read anything about an English language option unfortunately. Uncharted is completely in English though.

It's true though, Christmas is widely considered the time for some deserved spending sprees. I'm actually thinking it might reflect on Vita's Western release somehow.

Not sure about the rest of the Western world, but in America income tax refunds start being distributed in mid-February.

EDIT: is Lord of Apocalypse not coming to NA? I don't see it on Amazon.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Here's a question about near, though - how does the gifting thing work?

Does it happen automatically?

Or do you - or can you - say 'I want to give this thing to just my friends'? Or will it gift something to anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom