• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pleasant surprise games

There are many games that fit the saying however one that comes to mind is this game.

Darkness_cover.jpg

blus-30035-game-ss-1

What a fantastic game this was. Story, atmosphere, voice acting and gameplay were all top notch. Probably the most fun and engaging time I had in an FPS from last gen and it's severely underrated.

640px-Jetsetradiopalboxart.jpg

This is seriously Jet Set Radio the thread. And to a lesser extent even JSR Future. Most pleasantly surprising game ever for me. Went in with zero expectations and was treated to a technicolour wonderful world of amazingness with a killer soundtrack that was endlessly playable. Just a pure joy from start to finish.

JSR Future was faster and different but also still good and pleasantly surprising too given the unexpected changes they made.

I never expected i'd play 300 hours of Binding of Isaac.

I never expected I'd be at 100 hours (over 2 versions) on spelunky. And that's even after reading a glowing magazine feature on derek yu 3 years ago. Such a wonderfully crafted game mechanically.

Singularity and Time Shift. I enjoyed the mechanics these games used. Although not brilliant games they just felt a bit different and therefore were a nice surprise.

JZA

Sleeping Dogs. Had no idea what this game was even about, both when it was released and when it became free on Gold. I'm even into kung fu movies and Hong Kong action cinema. Before I got around to playing it a few months ago, I was even lamenting the fact that the Rise to Honor Jet Li game from PS2 had no successor. Turned out Sleeping Dogs was like Rise to Honor crossed with GTA, which was a pleasant surprise, since I love both franchises.

Mr Git

Tokyo Jungle. Had no idea what to expect from the trailer I watched. Started the game with an amused state of confusion as to what the fuck was going on. Not long after I was hooked and spent most of the summer playing it. Amazing game.

Top Bottom