• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun & Moon Previews (October 12th)

Berordn

You sure? It's entirely possible that the Nintendo Rep was wrong or the previewer thinks some Gen 1 Pokemon are from Gen 2 and Gen 3.

I want to believe but I'll be incredibly disappointed if I do and it ends up being Gen 1 only.

The statement isn't incorrect even if it's just Gen 1 creatures anyway. Pikachu and Raichu were in Red, Gold and Ruby...

Puruzi

Banned
from the nintendo life preview

Now it's more to do with the speed of your movement and your proximity to said Trainer. Think of it as a little like adding an element of stealth, but one with rules so simple it's almost contradictory to refer to it by that name. You can walk behind these guys and gals if you want to avoid them, but running too close to them can still trigger a fight even if you're not in their direct line of sight, so watch out.

damn son

Kouriozan

Because of all the trainers having models, better graphics, and things like this

jangmo-o.jpg

I was joked at in the old thread when I said it was because of the gajillion models of this game. x)

Ydelnae

Do note that Japan calls the concept of Alola Forms "Region Forms", so even if they are only Gen 1 now, it's probable that the concept will be continued in future games

I foresee another megaevolution situation. Not removed in future games, but replaced by the next gimmick.

So from the previews, some of the new info includes:

-3D is disabled completely
-
The player character is from Kanto
(this might have been revealed before)
-
Professor Kukui has previously challenged the Kanto Gym Leaders
-Tackle has been nerfed to 40 BP (Previously 50 BP)
-Alolan Meowth is available in one of the early routes

So from the previews, some of the new info includes:

-3D is disabled completely
-
The player character is from Kanto
(this might have been revealed before)
-
Professor Kukui has previously challenged the Kanto Gym Leaders
-Tackle has been nerfed to 40 BP (Previously 50 BP)
-Alolan Meowth is available in one of the early routes

man I am so sick of stuff from kanto

Seiniyta

I foresee another megaevolution situation. Not removed in future games, but replaced by the next gimmick.

I'm not sure about that actually. I feel like it'll be used from now on out where they think it makes sense or have an idea for one. I feel like GameFreak is trying out various new ideas, see how they are received and go from there in the next game.

I really like that they decided to drop 3D support completely. Here's hoping that this means there's no more FPS drops during battle. Obviously it didn't really affect anything but it would just be nice for things to be smooth all the time. Was there a preview that mentioned the battle performance yet?

wmlk

I really like that they decided to drop 3D support completely. Here's hoping that this means there's no more FPS drops during battle. Obviously it didn't really affect anything but it would just be nice for things to be smooth all the time. Was there a preview that mentioned the battle performance yet?

I think the reason 3D was dropped was because it halved the fps during battles. I don't see how it's any different to XY and never turning on the 3D slider.

V-Faction

Retconning moves is really annoying. Especially the early game ones that no one, outside of single player, is going to use. Just let them be good!

I think the reason 3D was dropped was because it halved the fps during battles. I don't see how it's any different to XY and never turning on the 3D slider.

I'm hoping it's just a little bit better than that, even if it's only on "new" 3DS. Even with 3D completely off, XY and ORAS would routinely drop fps during battles.

ash_ag

Do note that Japan calls the concept of Alola Forms "Region Forms", so even if they are only Gen 1 now, it's probable that the concept will be continued in future games

This is also seen in the international websites. "Regional variants" is the English term.

There is practically no limit in possible environmental adaptations, so unlike Mega Evolutions, each species is likely not even limited to one regional variant. For example, in a Sinnoh-based game we may see older Pokémon adapted to cold environments. This is a very different mechanic from Megas in effect, because it can be used to freshen each region's ecosystem with new-ish species without having to introduce entirely new Pokémon. This is one thing they have desperately needed at times, so I have no doubt variants are here to stay.

MegaMelon

I'm glad to hear that the game is getting a positive reception. I'm still going to keep my expectations in check though since if you look at the first few hours of XY, you'd think the game is gonna be really meaty between gyms but then that disapears and it goes town, gym, route for the rest of the gyms. Not that the game was short or anything mind you.

Pineapple

Furthermore, once you've landed an attack on a particular Pokémon you'll be able to see next to each one of your moves whether it's effective, not very effective, super effective, or has no effect. These new features aren't going to make much difference to any hardcore Pokémon Trainer, but for those for whom the myriad of types and moves are too vast to keep track of it's an extremely helpful addition.

I'm...not sure I like this. I certainly don't have every move type memorized, but organically discovering what works or doesn't work is kind of what makes Pokemon...well, Pokemon. I'd really rather not have the game basically tell me what move to attack with.

Hopefully there's a way to turn this off.

Sou Da

I'm...not sure I like this. I certainly don't have every move type memorized, but organically discovering what works or doesn't work is kind of what makes Pokemon...well, Pokemon. I'd really rather not have the game basically tell me what move to attack with.

Hopefully there's a way to turn this off.

It only comes up after you've used an attack and discovered the type. It's more of a log than anything.

MegaMelon

It only comes up after you've used an attack and discovered the type. It's more of a log than anything.

The wording suggests it's like using a water move on a ghost/fire type and seeing it's super effective, then the next turn the normal type move your pokemon knows will now have a no effect on it even though you didn't try out that attack in particular.

WPS

The wording suggests it's like using a water move on a ghost/fire type and seeing it's super effective, then the next turn the normal type move your pokemon knows will now have a no effect on it even though you didn't try out that attack in particular.

From what I've heard it's from the second time you encounter a pokémon, so it still gives you all the match-ups regardless of whether you should know them, but it won't help you out if a trainer's ace is brand new to you.

Top Bottom