• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Sun & Moon Previews (October 12th)

I mean really, we've always had regional variants. Pachirisu and Dedenne and plusle and minun are just pikachu clones, every region has it's own spin in the rattatta line, etc

Variants just clean up the dex while acknowledging some of Gamefreak's habits that they've had for years. They should stick around.

I mean really, we've always had regional variants. Pachirisu and Dedenne and plusle and minun are just pikachu clones, every region has it's own spin in the rattatta line, etc

Variants just clean up the dex while acknowledging some of Gamefreak's habits that they've had for years. They should stick around.

The only problem with that is, no those Pokémon you're mentioning aren't clones. Additionally, the dex doesn't need "cleaning."

The most obvious reason this is true is because there's still a new Route 1 Normal Type (Yungoos), a new bird (Pikipek), a new Pika-type Pokémon (Togedemaru), and lots of other series traditions (pseudo legend Dragons). Game Freak doesn't think any of its Pokémon are trash, and derivations on design themes and elements do not make a new design a clone of an old one (hello Gen V). Those kind of design "traditions" are things GF likes and is continuing with.

I agree Regional Variants should stick around. But I really disagree with the notion that the dex needs pruned or something. Regional Variants are a gateway to making the Pokémon regions waaaaay more immersive though.

DNAbro

She makes a good point about Rivals. I haven't cared about battling one since Silver. It was beef on sight with Gary and Silver, the others felt more like disposing of your annoying little brother.

Did B/W even have a rival? I don't count N as one. He's cool though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
If the move type log persists between battles, it will be especially useful for moves like Flying Press that fall outside of normal effectiveness rules. I can't remember how flying press does against multitypes. That's just too much to take in.

Do we know how Alolan forms are logged in the pokedex?

Also I'm looking forward to Alolan... Everything. Gotta love a remix.

Fireblend

Banned
Man how forgettable

I disagree, I think the way gen V handled its supporting cast was a huge step up over every other generation. Both Cheren and Bianca's arcs were infinitely more interesting and involved than any of the other rivals'. They showed up way more often than others, had purposes that evolved as the game went along, and didn't just show up for the sake of battling you.

DNAbro

I disagree, I think the way gen V handled its supporting cast was a huge step up over every other generation. Both Cheren and Bianca's arcs were infinitely more interesting and involved than any of the other rivals'. They showed up way more often than others, had purposes that evolved as the game went along, and didn't just show up for the sake of battling you.

I remember liking them now, but I literally forgot their existence. I remember gen 6 well but I hate them.

Mr-Joker

Banned
-Tackle has been nerfed to 40 BP (Previously 50 BP)

Yesssssss Tackle reign of terror has come to an end.

Did B/W even have a rival? I don't count N as one. He's cool though.

Cheren and Bianca were your rival in Black and White, Hugh was yours in Black and White 2.

Also N is technically your Rival as you're both pitting your ideal against each other with the Dragon from Unova legend on your side.

According to Digital Spy, there are 7 Island Trials in total: http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/pokemon/review/a810712/pokemon-sun-and-moon-review/
You're fighting to be crowned the "Island Challenge Champion" by working your way through the Seven Trials and learning from the Kahunas across the new Alola region, which is absolutely stunning by the way.

Digital Spy also says HMs are in, but the first HM you get is Work Up.
Well, we got the first HM and it isn't Cut, it's Work Up. Whether the traditional HMs are being dealt with by the new Poké Ride system - where you can hire Pokémon to ride or fly you around - we're not quite sure yet, but we're incredibly intrigued.

I have no idea how Work Up would work as a field move, so I wonder if all TMs got renamed HMs.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I see different interpretations of the Trials, some make it seem like seven divided up among the four islands while others make it seem like each island has seven Trials.

I feel like Work Up being an HM is a mistake though. Now with infinite usable TMs, what would be the difference to do that? No way they'd make it so you can't delete a buff move like Work Up.

Unless they removed infinite usable TMs FUCK

I see different interpretations of the Trials, some make it seem like seven divided up among the four islands while others make it seem like each island has seven Trials.

I feel like Work Up being an HM is a mistake though. Now with infinite usable TMs, what would be the difference to do that? No way they'd make it so you can't delete a buff move like Work Up.

Maybe they just folded tms and hms into one system, and just used the HM name for some reason. Possibly to not confuse returning players from before gen 5 with them being reusable

Phu

Banned
Maybe they just folded tms and hms into one system, and just used the HM name for some reason. Possibly to not confuse returning players from before gen 5 with them being reusable

Why would that be necessary when they already went through with the change though?

Maybe they thought the name Hidden Machine made more sense for learnable moves than Technical Machine and decided to call them all HMs now that Ride Pokemon seem to be filling in for field moves. Obviously, though, I'm just guessing.

Yeah, I can't see them removing infinite TMs since they've been focused on competitive within the last two gens.

Three things it could be are: a mistake, TMs have been renamed to HMs for some reason, or HMs serve some other purpose. He mentioned Cut specifically so he seems to know what he's talking about, so I don't think it's a mistake. Work Up wasn't a TM in Gen VI so it returning in a different number wouldn't be surprising.

Hopefully if HMs are still in the game and aren't just renamed TMs, they can be forgotten normally.

GoldStarz

Considering that that would put three/four of the trials on one island and leave each other island with only about one trial for each island AND the fact that we know each island has a Kahuna... Yeah if it's not just an outright mistake I can only see it as being the latter.

magnetic

ORAS kinda bored me as a relative newcomer to the series (played Black and X and enjoyed both), so this game wasn't really on my radar, but man - these previews push all the right buttons for me.

Fully 3D movement, better environments, better battle backgrounds, visible trainers, tons of quality of life improvements...

Not to mention that the female main character is the most adorable design the series ever had for player models, at least in my opinion. That artist just keeps getting better and better.

This more than ever looks like a title for someone who isn't all that much into Pokemon like me - those games always were good JRPGs, but this one looks very appealing.

Hydrus

We ARE going back to Kanto in this game, aren't we?

I've been saying for the past year: RBG ll coming to NX next year. What better way to have the first mainline Pokemon games playable on TV, then to have it be arguably the most popular region and gen. It's happening folks.

I've been saying for the past year: RBG ll coming to NX next year. What better way to have the first mainline Pokemon games playable on TV, then to have it be arguably the most popular region and gen. It's happening folks.
Didn't RBGII already come out like twice already? If you mean remake we had FRLG, and if you mean Black 2 style, we had GSC. And the GSC remake!

Kanto sucks compared to later regions. I hope it's not happening

Cindro

Impressions sounding wonderful, as expected.

Is there some sort of bio on this new director? He seems to be the savior of the franchise I've always wanted, finally creating sequels that aren't just spinning the wheels. I want to write him a very grateful letter for all the excellence he's pouring into Sun and Moon.

Impressions sounding wonderful, as expected.

Is there some sort of bio on this new director? He seems to be the savior of the franchise I've always wanted, finally creating sequels that aren't just spinning the wheels. I want to write him a very grateful letter for all the excellence he's pouring into Sun and Moon.

He's the same guy who directed ORAS. Although it's pretty much known that those games were rushed.

Cindro

He's the same guy who directed ORAS. Although it's pretty much known that those games were rushed.
Yeah, I knew that much. I'm not a huge ORAS fan, but I can't hold it against him - his creative vision was enslaved to the template of the originals, and the schedule was too fast to make sizable improvements.

If anything I'm glad he cut his teeth on some low-stakes remakes - I'm sure it gave him a ton of insight and perspective when going into S/M.

Yeah, I knew that much. I'm not a huge ORAS fan, but I can't hold it against him - his creative vision was enslaved to the template of the originals, and the schedule was too fast to make sizable improvements.

If anything I'm glad he cut his teeth on some low-stakes remakes - I'm sure it gave him a ton of insight and perspective when going into S/M.

Ohmori's was responsible for quite a bit of the interesting gimmicks of past generations like the Underground and the Pokewalker of Gen IV. He also worked on the map design in the third generation.

Dimmle

Diverse and memorable settings. Kanto is only remembered because it was first and because we've visited it four goddamn times. Otherwise, the only really memorable part of Kanto is Lavender town
That's fair. I read a significant amount of character into Kanto but it is mostly urban.

The release timeframe for ORAS just confuses me. Assuming that a Z/XZYZ was being being planned at the beginning of the generation, it would have made sense to hold off a year like they did with Platinum, and then release either ORAS or "Z" the next year. Even if "Z" was never planned (which I doubt based on all the unused stuff from XY's files), they still could have done this. It was the first game since Gen III to release only a year after a generation began.

ORAS started development in late 2012, so at that point, XY would have still have been deep in development, which probably resulted in both games suffering (ORAS more so), especially since I think they use the same engine.

Top Bottom