• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2016 |OT13| For Queen and Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantII

Far be it from me to understand GOP strategies, but do Senate Republicans like Cruz and McCain openly talking about blocking Hillary's SCOTUS nominees indefinitely not see how that bites them on the ass when the shoe's on the other foot? If a Republican president ends up with SCOTUS seats to fill but a Democratic Senate outright refuses to hold hearings for partisan reasons, don't Cruz et al. see that said Dems would be completely justified by the precedent they themselves set?

I don't know if this is general Repubicans are better than Democrats thing, or something particular to Hillary being an illegitimate president therefore her nominees are illegitimate, or what. But I just don't understand how blocking SCOTUS nominees indefinitely doesn't immediately set a president that allows any opposition party to indefinitely block SCOTUS nominees.

How does it bite them in the ass when one party adheres to norms because they believe in government and social responsibility, and the other party has become a group of nihlist who literally want to break the federal government to starve the beast and return all federal power to the states.

Have we so soon forgotten about the debt ceiling fight?

Now I don't think McCain supports that scorched earth policy in so far as he can use it to his political advantage. But as we've seen, the monster is out of the cage and its pretty hard to control. There are plenty of do-nothings in congress there with the specific task of breaking the federal government for everything except the payouts to their own districts.

They're there to sabotage and break federal politics, because thats what their constituents want. Their view is all yhe ills are due to the feds and nothing bad will happen from crippling Washington. They're DCexit-ers. They give no fucks to the damage that would cause economically, socially, ect.

Blader

Dems will have a powerful argument for deploying the nuke:
The GOP said repeatedly, for months on end, "Let the American people decide. Let the next President pick."

Then, when they didn't like who the voters picked, the GOP goes back on their word.

It's a pretty easy argument, although I could see the Dems screwing it up, hehe..

The easy counter-argument seems to be to make Hillary's election illegitmate: she's a criminal who should've been prosecuted/jailed and should never be president in the first place, and besides, she only won because Trump was so bad a nominee (uh, never mind that we totally endorsed him for president, of course!).

TyrantII

The easy counter-argument seems to be to make Hillary's election illegitmate: she's a criminal who should've been prosecuted/jailed and should never be president in the first place, and besides, she only won because Trump was so bad a nominee (uh, never mind that we totally endorsed him for president, of course!).

Isn't that already the argument? Wont it be for 8 long years?

Let's ask Obama how nice they were. Or Bill for that matter in the 90s.

This is the reality Dems have to deal with. Nothing will change it untill demographics and gerrymandering change. So it's really pointless to worry about. Its BAU.

Dems need to worry about showing results and framing debates. They need to fall in line behind their policies and prove they work. Because the GOP isn't going to give an inch on their messenging, nor have they in 30 years.

Diablos

In all likelihood, yup.

I said a long time ago:
2016 is a fight for the court. Any progress that we make in the short term will be via executive action or judicial ruling. Congress will only act on things that are necessary to keep the lights on, and in the face of national emergencies. Our large fundamental problems will remain unaddressed.

I am an ideological progressive, but even if we win big 12 nights from now, I remain a pessimist about the future.
Depressing...

Ryan's going to be left with the Freedom Circus having more power than they do right now since the losses will mostly be in the rank and file Republican "moderates". He won't be able to get anything done and neither will any other Republican for that matter.

So if McGinty has a solid lead in a voter file poll, I'm now pretty convinced that Dems will at least win 51 seats with WI, IL, IN, NV, PA, and NH. NC and MO could go either way but would be icing.

So if McGinty has a solid lead in a voter file poll, I'm now pretty convinced that Dems will at least win 51 seats with WI, IL, IN, NV, PA, and NH. NC and MO could go either way but would be icing.

I so want McGinty to win. Fuck Toomey.

Honestly, I voted for Fetterman in our primaries for the D seat, but still, Toomey needs to be gone.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Now that the NYT/Sienna poll of PA came out showing Hillary +7, RCP has changed PA's status from Lean D to Tossup. Because it makes sense.

That's just hillarious.

Is it not formula based? If it is, what the hell kinda formula would a poll showing one canidate with a lead outside the MOE change it towards the center?

Zukkoyaki

It's probably safe to assume that Upshot/Sienna are going to conduct an Ohio voter-file poll before the election ends. I'd be really, really interesting in seeing that one. It'll probably paint a better picture of where the race is there than anything else.

Veelk

Banned
So, it's hard to keep up with all the numbers, but what is the likelihood of getting the house at this point?

Presidential seat is a lock.

I hear getting the Senate is likely.

The house is ?????

Jeels

Why does the media define white evangelicals as all evangelicals.

There are lots of black evangelicals!

For whatever reason, they aren't voting for Trump.

Yup, just like Latinos are more religious as are Muslims, but this thinking isn't just applied to evangelicals. All a minority can be is a minority. Same shit happens when they talk about "working poor" "rural people" "college educated" "suburban housewives" it's always white people.

Amir0x

Banned
So, it's hard to keep up with all the numbers, but what is the likelihood of getting the house at this point?

Presidential seat is a lock.

I hear getting the Senate is likely.

The house is ?????
A super ridiculously long shot. Hillary needs to be peddling +10, 11 or 12 final tally on election day to even start that conversation about flipping house. Thanks gerrymandering!

Iolo

It's probably safe to assume that Upshot/Sienna are going to conduct an Ohio voter-file poll before the election ends. I'd be really, really interesting in seeing that one. It'll probably paint a better picture of where the race is there than anything else.

I think Upshot said the PA poll was their final poll.

Diablos

I just hope that by some miracle or whatever you wanna call it that Dems win the House back. Hillary's gonna have such a hard time without it.

Veelk

Banned
A super ridiculously long shot. Hillary needs to be peddling +10, 11 or 12 final tally on election day to even start that conversation about flipping house. Thanks gerrymandering!

That's disappointing.

Obama atleast had 2-4 years of a normal presidency before the GOP utterly lost it's mind and just started obstructing him out of pure spite. I'd rather not have Hillary's presidency curtailed from the get go.

johnsmith

remember me
Um. What's this about

screen-shot-2016-10-25-at-4-36-01-pm.png

Right wing spin is she was drunk st 4:30 in the afternoon

Amir0x

Banned
That's disappointing.

Obama atleast had 2-4 years of a normal presidency before the GOP utterly lost it's mind and just started obstructing him out of pure spite. I'd rather not have Hillary's presidency curtailed from the get go.
Ive always sort of viewed it a blessing we are where we are, considering i started this election season thinking Supreme Court nominations were all we could accomplish. We win back Senate, we already further than i expected. But i do genuinely believe polls will all be understating Hillary's final tally. We have never had such a large gap between campaigns in terms of data/gotv.

There's literally someone on the way home who has a Trump/Pence, Gregg (D candidate for Gov), Ritz (D Sec. of Education), Bayh, then all the local Republican candidates' signs in their yard.

But like... Trump's whole thing other than "I hate non-white people and I sexually assault women" is that politicians are bad and crooked.

Bayh is like the strawman bad+crooked politician.

There's literally someone on the way home who has a Trump/Pence, Gregg (D candidate for Gov), Ritz (D Sec. of Education), Bayh, then all the local Republican candidates' signs in their yard.
If it weren't for Ritz, that sounds/looks like an anti-incumbent house.

Grief.exe

Why does the media define white evangelicals as all evangelicals.

There are lots of black evangelicals!

For whatever reason, they aren't voting for Trump.

I believe Evangelicals is defined as White Protestants for demographic purposes as they are easier to track. Likely African American Protestants don't disproportionately vote differently than the rest of African Americans, hence the divide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom