• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It died last time because the black president wanted it. There was no other reason.

Did working with Dems last week help at all? I don't think it did?

Passing the Dream Act might actually lower his approval if this is really the line in the sand for the Trumpers

I'm thinking more of those "independent" voters that pushed him over the line in 2016 but seemingly abandoned him after the election.

No way. I think this has zero chance of happening under this administration, as Trump HATES drugs.

Sessions hates Drugs. I think Trump is one of those people that equates Marijuana to lazy minorities due to his obvious racism. I think if someone pointed out the revenue potential of taxation and legalization he may come around.

I find it very, very hard to believe Trump hasn't done some (a lot of) cocaine.

He's a billionaire from New York City. Of course he has done some Cocaine.

Wilsongt

Sessions hates Drugs. I think Trump is one of those people that equates Marijuana to lazy minorities due to his obvious racism. I think if someone pointed out the revenue potential of taxation and legalization he may come around.

He's a billionaire from New York City. Of course he has done some Cocaine.

Alleged billionaire.

I had to cross a picket line this morning. My GF works for the School District as a Behavioral Interventionist and the teachers went on strike effective this morning at 8am. I had to drop her off at the main office since they can't work even though she's not part of the Union. It was funny, she was guiding me to where the office was and we round a bend and she just laughs and goes "yea it's that driveway past all the picketers". She gets it though, the School District has consistently made changes that harm the teachers and she is very sympathetic to their cause. Does wish she could do her job in the meantime though.

Next up convince Trump to go back to supporting single payer UHC.

In some ways, this is why I considered Trump to be potentially the best option of the Republicans running last year, in that he has kind of that Charlie Kelly "WILD CARD, BITCHES!" quality to him where he might flip on a dime and suddenly be to the left of his entire party if it suited him, in terms of approval ratings and adulation from the press, because his only true convictions are to himself. Granted, he's basically undone that consideration, but on top of his inability to get the Republican agenda achieved even a little bit, he does still seem to have that flipping capability.

In some ways, this is why I considered Trump to be potentially the best option of the Republicans running last year, in that he has kind of that Charlie Kelly "WILD CARD, BITCHES!" quality to him where he might flip on a dime and suddenly be to the left of his entire party if it suited him, in terms of approval ratings and adulation from the press, because his only true convictions are to himself. Granted, he's basically undone that consideration, but on top of his inability to get the Republican agenda achieved even a little bit, he does still seem to have that flipping capability.

I think he started his presidency with the belief that Republican policy was very popular, since they win elections all the time. Since he doesn't really have the capacity for critical thinking beyond "they won, everyone must like them!"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I totally missed Ann Coulter on Twitter implying she wanted to see Trump impeached.

Barzul

Have Ryan/McConnell out out anything since Trump talked to the press? He basically said they've committed to it, I'm really intrigued how they react.

I feel like if the people who played the Trump impeachment game with Spoiled Milk kind of got screwed. They couldn't have predicted Trump would start saying we should keep all the Dreamers and raise taxes on the rich.
This is actually the point of the game, i.e. that our ability to predict the future is extremely limited.

Major Garrett‏Verified account
@MajorCBS

Via @reynoldscat @SpeakerRyan and @POTUS have NOT spoken about #DACADeal or dinner w @NancyPelosi & @SenSchumer
+
Alex Moe‏Verified account
@AlexNBCNews
Follow
More
NEW: A top aide to Speaker Ryan tells NBC News the Speaker and President Trump have now spoken on the phone. No additional details.

LOL

aTTckr

Republicans tends to be (at least somewhat) more motivated by ideology and beliefs, which is something Trump definitely does not understand. The Democrats on the other hand are a much more transactional party, which also how Trump likes to see himself as. Thus it isn't too surprising he feels much more comfortable with Democrats than with Republicans.

dramatis

Chuck is a New Yorker, something Ryan and Turtle are not.
I think it's more likely that Schumer and Pelosi are 'charming' in a way that Ryan isn't and McConnell definitely isn't.

Back during the healthcare debacles the R senators treated McConnell terribly, compared to how D senators treated Reid during rough times (they respected Reid because he built his consensus on respect rather than demands). It says something about McConnell.

I'm also pretty sure a guy who loves Ayn Rand novels is going to be awful in dinner conversations.

Meanwhile, Schumer is the kind of guy who goes out in a blizzard to get on the weather camera so he probably understands Trump's thirst lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
Republicans tends to be (at least somewhat) more motivated by ideology and beliefs, which is something Trump definitely does not understand. The Democrats on the other hand are a much more transactional party, which also how Trump likes to see himself as. Thus it isn't too surprising he feels much more comfortable with Democrats than with Republicans.

Pretty much. Democrats are generally up for a bargain in order to make progress, unlike Republicans who are largely driven by ideology and general obstruction. This is in part because Democrats also see government as useful and helping the population, whereas Republicans are generally anti-government, so they see less value in it as a whole.

Trump really just wants to be part of the Manhattan elite instead of riff raff from Queens.

Thiiiis. I really don't think you can underestimate the extent to which Schumer being from the groups he's from is influencing Trump here. The man's from Brooklyn but he moves in the crowds Trump's desperately wanted the respect of his entire adult life.

I think it's more likely that Schumer and Pelosi are 'charming' in a way that Ryan isn't and McConnell definitely isn't.

Back during the healthcare debacles the R senators treated McConnell terribly, compared to how D senators treated Reid during rough times (they respected Reid because he built his consensus on respect rather than demands). It says something about McConnell.

I'm also pretty sure a guy who loves Ayn Rand novels is going to be awful in dinner conversations.

Meanwhile, Schumer is the kind of guy who goes out in a blizzard to get on the weather camera so he probably understands Trump's thirst lol

Lol that you say this. When I lived in Park Slope during a blizzard last year and I was in a live shot when Schumer was being interviewed

Barzul

One thing I hate that Game of Thrones did is the way it bleeds into political dialog. I mean King (the racist one) was on CNN talking about the wall and how no one in the Trump Admin is spearheading the effort and he said the Administration had no "Commander of the Wall". Just sounds so weird man.

Alex Moe‏Verified account @AlexNBCNews 17m17 minutes ago
More
GOP Rep Mo Brooks reiterates Paul Ryan vowed when running for Speaker not to put immigration bill on floor w/o majority of GOP conf support

DJsgirQX0AEfIS1.jpg:large

#winning

Vixdean

I still don't see Congressional leadership bringing this to a vote. The chaos it would cause going into the 2018 primaries would be immense and turn what is currently petty infighting into a full blown civil war. I'd love to be wrong though.

Barzul

My biggest takeway from is this is that whatever passes both branches of Congress re DACA, Trump will sign it. My biggest concern had been his use of veto....now it's looking like Trump would sign Dream Act with some meat for border security thrown his way.

I still don't see Congressional leadership bringing this to a vote. The chaos it would cause going into the 2018 primaries would be immense and turn what is currently petty infighting into a full blown civil war. I'd love to be wrong though.

The party going against their own president could honestly be worse going into 2018 than passing the Dream Act.

Ithil

I'm confused at this point, did Trump walk this back?

Not really, he just tried to frame it in a way that looks good to his base. He failed to do so, going by how furious they are.
It's very clear from his sudden praise of Dreamers and talk of citizenship (and his incredibly lame attempt to walk back the wall) that he did agree to this deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom