• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zukkoyaki

Call it the "Alaska Is Great And We Love Lisa Murkowski Act!" She'll never be able to resist!
Complete with a DVD copy of:

510HTQBDH6L._SY445_.jpg

JettDash

Even with their fucking fraudulent math, the best they could do was give Alaska a 3% gain. A terrible deal even if true given that the whole bill expires in 2026.

Maybe they're so desperate they're trying to get Manchin lol

Or more likely, Capito was actually a no
Could see Capito being against it. She needlessly opened herself to attacks in her next reelection campaign (granted, she probably won't lose anyway) for a shitty bill, only for McCain to sink it. Now they pull this shit again in the eleventh hour with an even worse bill? I'd be pissed.

The fact that they keep trying to get Manchin shows that they really don't have 50. They might get it, but acting like this is a done deal is dumb.

Ogodei

How would they even have CBO time on this? They need to work around McCain at this point because even the irregular order of BCRA/Skinny Repeal is impossible, now they're going to have to go with the Cruz Plan for Fornicating the Parliamentarian.

G-C has just been desperate and sad from the beginning.

Teggy

Puerto Rico is in monumental crisis right now and trump hasn’t said a thing. It didn’t help that none of the media asked him about it today.

I like how they remake the bill to get Collins and Murkowski and like 45 other senators are more than happy to eat shit, watching their states be decimated.

kess

That 60 Minutes Oprah interview makes me weep for our country.

Fuck "Michigan Nice," I'd be calling those corupulent fucks ignorant to their faces.

Unfortunately, it seems like the other side of the table had problems countering conservative talking points. It isn't really about reforming insurance. It isn't really about "freedom of speech." Lord knows that guy in the striped shirt would have had convulsions if someone had mentioned "take a knee."

Ogodei

Wouldn't getting Murkowski be enough? Would she care if it's an obvious bribe?

She shouldn't care either way because the bill leaves Alaska worse off in an absolute sense after 2026. Anything positive the bill could possibly do for Alaska has a clear expiration date on it.

She shouldn't care either way because the bill leaves Alaska worse off in an absolute sense after 2026. Anything positive the bill could possibly do for Alaska has a clear expiration date on it.
Wouldn't she be up for re-election in 2026?
It's a bad bribe and probably not enough to get her. But she could be the 50th vote if they could also whip everyone not McCain and Collins, but even that doesn't look certain right now.
Didn't some senator say he wasn't voting for this if certain states got better deals?

I mean Murkowski was also on record saying that it didn't matter how good Alaska was doing if the rest of the country was fucked. It would, by simple chain reaction, fuck over their state anyway.

Didn't some senator say he wasn't voting for this if certain states got better deals?

Mike Lee I think. And Rand Paul has said similar things.

And no I don't think they will be the deciding votes, but them expressing these sentiments are signs that this bill is not close to 50. The same thing happened with the BRCA which did not get close to 50.

Diablos

This will probably come down to Murkowski

It’s a blatant bribe and a bad deal, unless she intentionally wants to sabotage her career I would hope she can see right thru this facade

This will probably come down to Murkowski

It’s a blatant bribe and a bad deal, unless she intentionally wants to sabotage her career I would hope she can see right thru this facade
If it was all down to Murkowski, the bill wouldn't include more states than Alaska. They need more than they're letting on.

The bill is clearly not in as good of shape or as close to passing as they're pretending it is. They're getting desperate.

Mike Lee I think. And Rand Paul has said similar things.

And no I don't think they will be the deciding votes, but them expressing these sentiments are signs that this bill is not close to 50. The same thing happened with the BRCA which did not get close to 50.

Horseshit. People like Cruz and Lee and Paul will all fold.

This all comes down to the same three from last time, Murkwoski, Collins, and McCain.

Horseshit. People like Cruz and Lee and Paul will all fold.

This all comes down to the same three from last time, Murkwoski, Collins, and McCain.

They didn't fold on the BRCA. And this bill and the way it has been received resembles that more than the skinny repeal (which also failed).

That 60 Minutes Oprah interview makes me weep for our country.
The few things they agreed on was that the division in the country was going to get worse and Civil War was inevitable. That is disturbing.

Although at the end it seemed like the people in the focus groups tried to get to know each other better and meet up at later locations. That ending bit with Trump supporters saying they want to healthcare reformed, not taken away, was maddeningly stupid.

Good to know this is looking more and more likely to fail again.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If it was all down to Murkowski, the bill wouldn't include more states than Alaska. They need more than they're letting on.

The bill is clearly not in as good of shape or as close to passing as they're pretending it is. They're getting desperate.

It's written as a population density of 15 per square mile or less. I figured they wanted more than one state to get it past the uniformity clause and decided to cut it off right below the lowest density liberal state of New Mexico.

I don't know all the precedent for the uniformity clause, but conservatives very recently learned bullshit conditionals that effect exactly one thing won't fly through the supreme court with their attempt to ban planned parenthood.

In the old days they'd just use trusty ol paper clip and add a random bridge to nowhere into a bill about healthcare when they wanted to bribe someone, but that doesn't happen anymore after people started calling that stuff out.

EDIT: Oh, I missed that they changed it to include Maine. Don't know how it's defined now, but yes, they only did that because they need more senators on board.

Barzul

Is that the one that was only stopped by the vote of one GOP senator?

Republicans have tried to steal healthcare from the poor and working class so many times at this point that I'm lost!!!
Not that was the turd before it. Skinny repeal was what McCain killed. Weird that Pail voted for it. It’s why I don’t beleive any of the hardliners. They always fold in the end.

Jeels

this fucking guy

I guess this anti-Kaerpnick rambling helps his approvals among many white voters. Was the new poll that had him at 40% conducted after those comments?

It's really sad and honestly makes me afraid of white people that any time trump says or does something racist his approvals go up.

royalan

No, that was the one that got 43 votes and most resembles the situation we are in now.

Oh, so this is the toxic piece of shit that got 43 whole entire GOP senators to vote for it?

Thanks for clarifying! For a second there I was allowing myself to believe that the majority of the GOP in Congress is actively working to fuck over the middle class. Prew! Glad that got cleared up!

Oh, so this is the toxic piece of shit that got 43 whole entire GOP senators to vote for it?

Thanks for clarifying! For a second there I was allowing myself to believe that the majority of the GOP in Congress is actively working to fuck over the middle class. Prew! Glad that got cleared up!

You do you, but I'm not gonna sit here playing the "oh God, we saw Mitch smiling in the hallway, they have the votes" game.

Jeels

At some point Cruz has to screw over trump for shitting on his family. Now is a good time as any.

Healthcare is already an L for them. I wish Cruz would fuck him on tax reform but all Republicans salivate over that so much that's not happening.

If you want to be disingenuous fine, but there's not much reason to believe there are 50 votes for this right now. And I'm not sure what actual point you are trying to make with this. That the GOP wants to fuck over the middle class? Oh wow, what a contentious idea! Next you'll tell me that Trump might not wholly be okay with racial equality.

tbm24

Trump is really going all in here with the NFL, and it’ll likely work out positively for him too. At least it’s looking that way for him. Shitting on rich Minority athletes is always popular.

I'm scared to ask my conservative relatives, who constantly criticized Obama as "divisive," what they think of Trump constantly bashing groups on Twitter and supporting white supremacist rallies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom