• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

I am glad Kamala is stepping up but at the same time, I really think a Medicare or Medicaid buy in is the way to go. It's a public option of sorts that would act as a trojan horse for warming everyone up to the idea of it always being there for you if you want it to be.

I also think this would be a more realistic option, Medicare for All is the most ideal but also the most ambitious and in this political climate it seems like more than a long shot.

Even a buy in is a long shot but probably not quite as much

kirblar

I am glad Kamala is stepping up but at the same time, I really think a Medicare or Medicaid buy in is the way to go. It's a public option of sorts that would act as a trojan horse for warming everyone up to the idea of it always being there for you if you want it to be.

I also think this would be a more realistic option, Medicare for All is the most ideal but also the most ambitious and in this political climate it seems like more than a long shot.

Even a buy in is a long shot but probably not quite as much
It is very possible that the "Medicare for All" bill in the Senate will actually be this rather than single payer, given that we've seen Sanders softening on his stance and the two things were deliberately conflated by politicians back in '09.

Agreed that it's the policy we actually should be shooting for.

Loxley

21272378_1474248512666623_2480614692715453708_n.jpg

I was 16 when this shit was going down. Seeing the clear difference in how the media depicted white families and black families (and POC in general) during/after Katrina was really eye-opening for me at the time. Especially as a white kid who grew up in the shelter that is the upper middle-class suburbs, it's just not something you really ever notice. But the coverage of Katrina was a real wake-up call in that regard.

Why does CNN continue to have Kellyanne on? She argued over the premise of every single question and at one point, stopped responding and stared blankly into the camera.

Wow, going thru threads pretty fast this year for a non-election year... you'd think it was the midterms already! Subbed.

I think the ACA repeal ate up a lot of replies. That was a rapidly developing process that took several months. The repeal failing was around 10 solid pages of posts within like an hour.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I think the ACA repeal ate up a lot of replies. That was a rapidly developing process that took several months. The repeal failing was around 10 solid pages of posts within like an hour.

That was legendary. Fucking rollercoaster of emotions.

I look at that as "Medicare [Available] For All," ie the public option. There's a 0% chance single-payer ever happening in this country for the indefinite future, and any candidate that says they can make it happen in the 2020 primaries is even more full of shit than "free college!" was.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Probably a dumb question, but can Trump be criminally prosecuted for violating state laws?

I think we get Medicare extended to 55 and up. Even McCaskill supports it.

I bet she'd come around on a public option too. Her idea to let counties without insurers sign up on the D.C. exchange was basically a backdoor public option.

They could pass it via reconciliation too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have to imagine that if it came to that, it would be caught up in the courts for years, possibly extending beyond his term anyways.

I imagine the Supreme Court would be forced to rule on it pretty quickly, especially if Mueller finds solid ties to Russia during his investigation. The question there would be does Gorsuch recuse himself?

I think we get Medicare extended to 55 and up. Even McCaskill supports it.

I bet she'd come around on a public option too. Her idea to let counties without insurers sign up on the D.C. exchange was basically a backdoor public option.

They could pass it via reconciliation too.

While I'd prefer Medicare buy-in at an earlier age, 55 and up would be better than now for sure. Wish it covered more than about 50%. Only thing keeping me working past my early 50s (or at least working at a place with a great health benefit) is the healthcare situation. Very frustrating.

From a new Fox News poll...

DIhdykRW4AE6C9X

The support for the wall has quite literally whittled down to his base at this point. Shut the government down over it? Proceed.....

Pixieking

Banned
Sam Wang‏Verified account @SamWangPhD 19m19 minutes ago

Today filed brief in Gill v. Whitford. We show SCOTUS a route to regulating partisan gerrymandering. http://election.princeton.edu/2017/08/30/our-amicus-brief-in-gill-v-whitford/

Sam Wang‏Verified account @SamWangPhD 10m10 minutes ago

and, the brief: http://election.princeton.edu/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/16-1161bsacHeatherKGerken-et-al.pdf …
Amici: @GerkenHeather Jonathan N. Katz @kinggary @LarrySabato and me.

In it, we argue that the Supreme Court should define basic fairness in redistricting using the concept of partisan symmetry. We use this idea to suggest simple statistical tests that could be used as a manageable standard to identify extreme partisan gerrymandering.

Probably a dumb question, but can Trump be criminally prosecuted for violating state laws?

As far as I'm aware, anyone can be charged and theoretically prosecuted for state laws provided the state was the right venue for the offense (offense occurred within the state). That being said, state criminal prosecution wouldn't necessarily remove Trump as president in and of itself. The Constitution makes clear: we need impeachment and a vote to remove in order for the President to be forced out of office for criminal conduct.

From a new Fox News poll...

DIhdykRW4AE6C9X

The support for the wall has quite literally whittled down to his base at this point. Shut the government down over it? Proceed.....

Lines up with this article http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/30/freedom-caucus-border-wall-government-shutdown-242174

House Freedom Caucus Chairman Mark Meadows said Wednesday that he and his allies will support short-term legislation to fund the government even if it excludes money for President Donald Trump’s proposed border wall.

Well it is about short term funding, but still.

It'll be an interesting case which I believe they will win (WI gerrymandering). Kennedy's issue in '04 was the lack of a standard for permissible vs impermissible. Conservatives argued the lack of a standard made it so these cases shouldn't even be heard. The liberals on the court set forth that they can be but offered different opinions on standards. Kennedy agreed with both sides. The cases should be heard but there is no proper standard.

With this case, the plaintiff's are not arguing that partisan gerrymandering should cease but that there needs to be a mechanism to control extreme gerrymandering. The efficiency gap may be just the right standard Kennedy is looking for here and the case was tailor made for him.

An extremely important precedent will be set with this case.

Lines up with this article http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/30/freedom-caucus-border-wall-government-shutdown-242174

Well it is about short term funding, but still.

More obvious - it lines up with his current approval numbers. Nearly 60% disapprove, etc. It's really just his base that gives a shit. I'd guess more people were willing to hop onboard when they had delusions of believing Mexico would pay for it. Now that reality set in? Nope.

It'll be an interesting case which I believe they will win (WI gerrymandering). Kennedy's issue in '04 was the lack of a standard for permissible vs impermissible. Conservatives argued the lack of a standard made it so these cases shouldn't even be heard. The liberals on the court set forth that they can be but offered different opinions on standards. Kennedy agreed with both sides. The cases should be heard but there is no proper standard.

With this case, the plaintiff's are not arguing that partisan gerrymandering should cease but that there needs to be a mechanism to control extreme gerrymandering. The efficiency gap may be just the right standard Kennedy is looking for here and the case was tailor made for him.

An extremely important precedent will be set with this case.

More obvious - it lines up with his current approval numbers. Nearly 60% disapprove, etc. It's really just his base that gives a shit. I'd guess more people were willing to hop onboard when they had delusions of believing Mexico would pay for it. Now that reality set in? Nope.

Yeah. I'm fairly convinced this will be the decision and then Kennedy will probably retire in the following year or so. The standards they're arguing for are fairly straight forward and in line with a lot of Kennedy's jurisprudence, if one could ever be in line with such an amorphous thing.

2018 would then be something with the ensuing litigation.

pigeon

Banned
Someone apparently hacked the FCC and posted this up. (It's still there, too) Unless someone at the FCC just has strong net neutrality opinions...lol.

https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/DOC-578d579d1f000000-A.pdf

DIhCnQwUMAAo8K6

The FCC got something recently called the Express Comment system. One of the things it does is take arbitrary files you send to it and expose them for download at URLs that look like that.

Of course, since those URLs are .gov URLs, there's maybe a small problem.

https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/public-api-docs.html

PBY

Banned
Feel like this Kamala single payer news should be bigger no?

Just an announcement, but a looot of people here are convinced that it is a pipe dream.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Just an announcement, but a looot of people here are convinced that it is a pipe dream.

I like Harris, and I'm not one of the "single payer or die" people, but even I have a hard time reacting to this much beyond "okay well...lets see what happens"

Right now a lot of right-wing commentary is focused on patting themselves on the back because Texas shows the best side of America and proves the media is wrong about Americans - they're not racist and divisive, it's all just Anderson Cooper.

The problem is that 1) Bernie hasn't introduced the bill yet, so we're not sure exactly what she's supporting (she said Medicare for All - that could very well mean a public option) and 2) Democrats aren't in power and wouldn't be able to legislate this until 2021 at the latest.

It's really cool that she's doing this and it's a shrewd political maneuver on her part, but I get why it's not generating much headlines. There is no timeline in which we get Trump or Pence to sign off on a Medicare expansion.

It's really cool that she's doing this and it's a shrewd political maneuver on her part, but I get why it's not generating much headlines. There is no timeline in which we get Trump or Pence to sign off on a Medicare expansion.
I'm not trying to be snide, but, there was also a hurricane.

on their 2012 map, Michigan+Ohio+Pennsylvania+New Jersey+Virginia+North Carolina had a combined 16.6 R advantage, which alone would equalize the House that year

I'm sure someone has a hot take on how actually gerrymandering isn't a problem and Dems are just packing themselves in though.

The Richard Nixon library seems to balance Nixon's scandals with everything else he did alright, at least looking at their website (which barely works). Trump's not going to be pleased if the Trump Library does that, though. But he's not going to be around forever, so eventually it'll balance out.

Maybe the Trump Library will be one of those mobile libraries on wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom