• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF Debate #3 Thread of Hey Joe, where you goin' with that plunger in your hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Hitokage said:
As Election Day approaches the national polls become more and more irrelevant. Tightening Gallup or not, Obama stands to exceed 270 electoral votes just on states considered safe.
new hampsha :(

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hitokage said:
As Election Day approaches the national polls become more and more irrelevant. Tightening Gallup or not, Obama stands to exceed 270 electoral votes just on states considered safe.
Gallup didn't tighten though. It moved towards Obama today.

Trakdown

08-nd-pres-ge-mvo.php

ND's definitely winnable. :D

BobLoblaw said:
Stupid people are stupid. Selfish people are selfish. Many people in this country are more concerned about themselves than they are anyone else. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but when someone explains to you by saying, "We're gonna take a little bit more in taxes to help out this family of 4 making less than 50k a year," why the fuck wouldn't you just say "ok." Seriously, it doesn't make any sense.

How is taking a little bit more from those that make $250k a year "unfair?" I make WAY less than 250k a year, am single, and couldn't care less if a little bit more was taken out of my check to help that family of 4 or that small business. It's like being able to give to those that have less than you has been demonized beyond reprieve in this country.

I'll have a family of four very soon. If you want to send me a check and cut out the middle man, I'll PM my address.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
reilo said:
Gallup didn't tighten though. It moved towards Obama today.
Hence the "or not". My point is that it doesn't matter anymore. We're past the comparatively fluff stage of the election.

Oh, and I gotta throw in senatorial and gubernatorial races, but those aren't national anyway. ;)

reilo

When was the last time a candidate overcame an average 7pt deficit in several big states with less than 3 weeks left in the general election? The tipping point is so huge.

Obama's lead in Virginia, Colorado, and New Mexico is as big as it is in Washington and Wisconsin. Nobody in their right mind is calling the latter tippable.

BobLoblaw said:
Stupid people are stupid. Selfish people are selfish. Many people in this country are more concerned about themselves than they are anyone else. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but when someone explains to you by saying, "We're gonna take a little bit more in taxes to help out this family of 4 making less than 50k a year," why the fuck wouldn't you just say "ok." Seriously, it doesn't make any sense.

How is taking a little bit more from those that make $250k a year "unfair?" I make WAY less than 250k a year, am single, and couldn't care less if a little bit more was taken out of my check to help that family of 4 or that small business. It's like being able to give to those that have less than you has been demonized beyond reprieve in this country.

Your post inspires me to
goninjagozw0.gif

reilo

Father_Brain said:
What explains the apparent outbreak of sanity in ND? Anyone have any theories?
When things are tough, especially economically, states like North Dakota are hit really hard.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Sarah Palin on some parts of America

We believe that the best of America is not all in Washington, D.C. We believe" -- here the audience interrupted Palin with applause and cheers -- "We believe that the best of America is in these small towns that we get to visit, and in these wonderful little pockets of what I call the real America, being here with all of you hard working very patriotic, um, very, um, pro-America areas of this great nation. This is where we find the kindness and the goodness and the courage of everyday Americans. Those who are running our factories and teaching our kids and growing our food and are fighting our wars for us. Those who are protecting us in uniform. Those who are protecting the virtues of freedom."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/17/palin-clarifies-what-part_n_135641.html

So there you go ladies and gentlemen. Big cities are part of a fake America filled with anti-Americans.

Chiggs

Gold Member
mckmas8808 said:
It's just stupid. Give billions to another country that we can't control is okay, but helping millions of our own Americans get from poverty to middle class or helping people already in middle class is bad.

I'd prefer not to help either, honestly. We can still have a good relationship with Israel without forking over the kind of cash we do now. And it's very hard for me to be too sympathetic with a lot of the people on welfare, and that's not to say all of them are just lazy dirtbags...a lot of those people are genuinely struggling and trying to pull themselves out of the gutter. But if I'm to be completely honest, I see many individuals at the 7-11 next to my job using their welfare cards to buy groceries, whereas the actual cash they have goes towards cigarettes, booze and scratch tickets. It's so very frustrating to see that, and I certainly believe sweeping welfare reform is needed.

The Lamonster said:
Hey! We need to figure out where we're going after that rally for those who want to catch a beer...

I'm in Ohio. But I was born in St. Louis and still have tons of family there and I visit frequently. I'll be with you guys in spirit though. Cheers!

Xeke

Banned
reilo said:
When was the last time a candidate overcame an average 7pt deficit in several big states with less than 3 weeks left in the general election? The tipping point is so huge.

Obama's lead in Virginia, Colorado, and New Mexico is as big as it is in Washington and Wisconsin. Nobody in their right mind is calling the latter tippable.

That's because Democrats have a pretty solid recent history in those two states and Virginia hasn't voted democrat since 1964 so all we have to go on are polls.

reilo said:
When things are tough, especially economically, states like North Dakota are hit really hard.

Yeah, I get that; it's just that the shift there seems a lot more dramatic than in other red states. Correct me if I'm wrong.

besada

Banned
ZealousD said:
So there you go ladies and gentlemen. Big cities are part of a fake America filled with anti-Americans.

Well, duh. Everyone knows that you city slickers are all secret homocommunists.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Xeke said:
That's because Democrats have a pretty solid recent history in those two states and Virginia hasn't voted democrat since 1964 so all we have to go on are polls.
Yeah, there's a degree of inertia that's being taken into account. That said, it's completely unwarranted in Iowa, which is now Obama's third home state.

Father_Brain said:
What explains the apparent outbreak of sanity in ND? Anyone have any theories?
Not sure. Here are the internals. I don't really know the mindset of that part of the country. It's hard to believe the 60+ numbers would be that close but that's what the poll says.

McCain (R) 45 (53)
Obama (D) 45 (40)

Code:
       SAMPLE FIGURES:

Men                  245 (48%) 
Women                255 (52%)

Democrats            155 (31%) 
Republicans          195 (39%) 
Independents/Other   150 (30%)

18-29                 91 (18%) 
30-44                138 (28%) 
45-59                161 (32%) 
60+                  110 (22%)

North       134 interviews 
East        204 interviews 
South       162 interviews

QUESTION: If the election for President were held today would you vote for the Democratic ticket of Barack Obama and Joe Biden the Republican ticket of John McCain and Sarah Palin or another candidate?

MCCAIN      OBAMA       OTHER       UNDECIDED   

ALL                 45%         45%          3%          7%

MEN                 48%         43%          4%          5% 
WOMEN               42%         47%          2%          9%

DEMOCRATS            6%         88%          2%          4% 
REPUBLICANS         79%          7%          3%         11% 
OTHER               42%         49%          4%          5%

18-29               42%         50%          2%          6% 
30-44               47%         43%          3%          7% 
45-59               46%         43%          4%          7% 
60+                 45%         44%          3%          8%

NORTH               51%         41%          1%          7% 
EAST                39%         50%          3%          8% 
SOUTH               48%         42%          4%          6% 

Tags: ND-Pres, North Dakota, president, 2008, John McCain, Barack

reilo

CNN is hitting McCain pretty hard today. They are running a story on the robocalls, and literally the headline is "DESPICABLE".

syllogism said:
Rasmussen:
Colorado October 16
O-52
M-45

Nevada October 16
O-50
M-45

Not much has been said about the Obama Nevada operation. There are a bunch of volunteers flooding the state from CA. A ways back all the CA Obama supporters got flooded by the campaign with requests for volunteers in NV. A retired husband of a coworker of mine in Los Agneles is there right now canvassing and getting out the vote.

Xeke said:
Obama just needs to win Virginia, if he wins Virginia early it's game over early in the night.

I was futzing with CNN's numbers and if Obama wins any of their 7 "battleground" (aka too close to call) states excluding Nevada, he wins the election even if McCain takes the rest of the battleground states.

Side note: is there some sort of election / electoral college drinking game? I'm going to vote early (we start on Monday here in Florida) and I want something to keep myself entertained on election night.

ZealousD

Dax01 said:
So those who live in Seattle are not apart of "Real America?" Does that mean they aren't "Real Americans?"

Not only are you real Americans, but you certainly aren't Pro-America.

Trakdown

David Schuster is grilling this McCain supporter on the robocalls right now. Asked her to denounce the Annenbergs (sp?) since they know Ayers.

Evlar

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Why is it okay for Ohio leadership to NOT share the database with the election board?
Because the state Supervisor of Elections judges it will be used to unfairly challenge legitimate voters at the polls and slow down the voting process in a cycle that will probably see record turn-out, thereby disenfranchising legitimate voters, all in the name of preventing fraud that has historically been shown to be rare. The Supervisor of Election's duty is to prevent disenfranchisement as well as prevent fraud and the former is the greater threat to a fair election in her view.

ZealousD

StrikerObi said:
I was futzing with CNN's numbers and if Obama wins any of their 7 "battleground" (aka too close to call) states excluding Nevada, he wins the election even if McCain takes the rest of the battleground states.

Side note: is there some sort of election / electoral college drinking game? I'm going to vote early (we start on Monday here in Florida) and I want something to keep myself entertained on election night.

Take a shot every time McCain wins a state.

If he ends up winning, you'll have enough drinks in your system to pass out before that happens, thus ensuring you aren't totally depressed that day.

FoneBone

JayDubya said:
:lol

No, ... wait a second... :lol

That sort of ego is a cardinal sin in rhetoric. You agree with me, therefore you must be smart. You disagree with me, therefore you must be dumb.
Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Hypocrite of the year award, right there.

Chiggs said:
I'd prefer not to help either, honestly. We can still have a good relationship with Israel without forking over the kind of cash we do now. And it's very hard for me to be too sympathetic with a lot of the people on welfare, and that's not to say all of them are just lazy dirtbags...a lot of those people are genuinely struggling and trying to pull themselves out of the gutter. But if I'm to be completely honest, I see a lot of individuals at the 7-11 next to my job using their welfare cards to buy groceries, whereas the actual cash they have goes towards cigarettes, booze and scratch tickets. It's so very frustrating to see that, and I certainly believe sweeping welfare reform is needed.

Ha! This is exactly what made me a Republican quite a few years ago.

The Chicago Tribune endorsement is a huge one. They NEVER back Democrats-literally.

I looked up the ND exit polls from 2004 and I can say that the R2K partisan breakdown is pretty reasonable assuming that the general shifts away from R to D and I hold there as they have across the country. Good poll.

Cloudy

Banned
Fox News iheadline is hilarious :lol

Late Night Agenda?As McCain, Biden hit the late-night talk shows, the tone of questions from Leno and Letterman differ just a tad for each

YOU DECIDE: Is There a Late-Night Agenda?

Fox News complaining about agendas :lol

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
StrikerObi said:
Yup, the reality of this election, as many of us who were around for Kerry have been saying, is that ANY state in contention except for North Dakota beyond the Kerry bloc, Iowa, and New Mexico puts Obama at a tiebreaker victory or a clinched victory. This can be Virginia. It can be Colorado. It can be Ohio. It can be Florida. It really doesn't matter.

Mr Jared

reilo said:
CNN is hitting McCain pretty hard today. They are running a story on the robocalls, and literally the headline is "DESPICABLE".

MSNBC just had a McCain surrogate (twas a lady, missed her name) talking against Chris Kofinis. About the Ayers robocalls, Chris says, "These things aren't exactly about John McCain's tax policy," to make the point that the McCain campaign doesn't like to talk about the issues or policy.

She replies with something like, "The part that [MSNBC] failed to play and continue with, because its the same call, is that Barack Obama is willing to meet with foreign leaders like THE CASTRO BROTHERS without pre-conditions!"

... As if that makes the calls any better.

GhaleonEB

Stoney Mason said:
Not sure. Here are the internals. I don't really know the mindset of that part of the country. It's hard to believe the 60+ numbers would be that close but that's what the poll says.
It's worth noting that ND was close before the conventions and veep picks; Obama was ahead in many of the polls there. After Palin and the GOP convention, McCain got a big spike, and then we had a dearth of polling in the state since then. We've had three in the past week, but before that the last one was from a month ago, when McCain was at the tail end of his bounce.

So I think this is just a lack of data, and we're just seeing the convention bounce fade away now.

http://www.pollster.com/polls/nd/08-nd-pres-ge-mvo.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom