• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

madmook

Hey universe, I bet you couldn't ruin my life by dumping that wad of cash on me. Do you accept my challenge, ya big wuss? I dare ya, no I double dog dare ya.

Jenov

I bought a ticket. Even after running that simulator for 1500 years and not winning, lol. But hey, I won the 1 million prize at around the 400 year mark! ROI of over -50% then :D

350.png

CSJ

I'm glad I'm not close with my family or even know half of my family.

I only have 2 family members, no other and my circle of friends fits on one hand; I'm also a bit of a shut in, I don't drink or smoke but have had a prescription painkiller addition that I got off on my own and haven't touched for years. Also where I live is probably one of the most safe places on the planet to live as a whole.

Izayoi

Banned
You skipped Step 2b: Slice off a chunk of friends and family fun money.

Winners should invest most, but use a bit to just go hog wild. Get it out of the system and party.
Sure, as long as you're careful about not giving cash. The money needs to have conditions, and it needs to have caps.

Disappearing is probably the most important step.
Yes, absolutely.

There's a reddit link on this page that details the history of big money winners. It basically dramatically increases your odds of having all manner of terrible things happen to you. You'd have to be very careful. The worst part is, it's people you know and trust who end up abusing you because of your money.
Which is why you disappear. Almost all of those issues are not really relevant if you're gone (even better, change your name).

could you imagine if you lived in a very impoverished area and won that much money?

itd be a modern day lynching, shit id have to cut off my whole extended family, move to Japan or someshit lol
Yeah that would be legitimately fucking scary. Time to drop off the face of the planet. Go to the lottery office, claim your prize, and immediately get on the next plane out of the country.

I'm not familiar with some modern vernacular.

What the hell does Step 4 mean?
I see that I'm dating myself here. ;_;

I bought a ticket. Even after running that simulator for 1500 years and not winning, lol. But hey, I won the 1 million prize at around the 400 year mark! ROI of over -50% then :D
Where is this simulator? I must try it!

Drazgul

There's a reddit link on this page that details the history of big money winners. It basically dramatically increases your odds of having all manner of terrible things happen to you. You'd have to be very careful. The worst part is, it's people you know and trust who end up abusing you because of your money.

I gotta wonder what the sample size for those numbers are, though.

Good read.

Informative of what to do once i win!

Hire private security, build an impenetrable fortress, preemptively either give my friends and family money and tell them to never to ask again or have them put on restraining order, give every gaffer (with slightly respectable post history) a hundred bucks, buy a ThinkGeek snes classic bundle, buy a bunch of video games...live the fucking life.

Some people just don't know what to do with money

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
You move out country and I'm sure, with a big enough family like mine, it'll be like that Sicilian Revenge scene in The Godfather. No, but seriously, thatd be the best way to complete distance yourself. That and they'd be too afraid to go into the Maid Bar I'd be living in in Japan.

Gattsu25

Banned
I picked up $40 worth because my money is soon parted from me.

I'm still working through the list of things I'll do when I win (and we all know I'll win, right?) but so far I have:
  • Hire a fiduciary because it's the responsible thing to do
  • Pay off all the debt for my direct family members because why not
  • Buy an average sized house in a decently desegregated neighborhood with a reasonable annual property tax value
  • Dump the rest of the money into low risk savings
  • Donate a bit of money per year into HBCUs because they shouldn't have to go grovelling to a white supremacist just to keep their doors open
  • Update my PC's storage situation and setup a NAS/SAN
  • Find myself a low stress job that I enjoy doing so I don't lose my mind due to boredom or excess
  • Make sure that I never own a vehicle worth more than I used to be able to afford before I won

Erase all social media accounts. Disseapear from the country for a year or 2.

Come back move to a city where no one has any idea who you are, and start over as a rich man.

Not that hard.

Drazgul

Come back move to a city where no one has any idea who you are, and start over as a rich man.

Not that hard.

Don't you have months (or even a year?) to actually claim the winnings? More than enough time to, temporarily even, change your name to something else and throw off the scent.

Bonus points if you change your name to some douchebag's you know that lives in the same city you do, then they'll get all the heat and attention but none of the money.

Not that hard.

The problem is, a lot of your info is public record if you cannot accept anonymously, and entire industries are built around robbing lotto winners of their cash. If it's at all possible to find you, they will.

The correct hing to do if you win is get a good lawyer, estate planner, and financial advisor, and have everything geared to protect yourself and the cash before you ever accept the winnings.

ZOONAMI

We should do a GAF pool and split the money. Everyone in this thread DM me and then you can send me $2 via PayPal.

Don't you have months (or even a year?) to actually claim the winnings? More than enough time to, temporarily even, change your name to something else and throw off the scent.

Bonus points if you change your name to some douchebag's you know that lives in the same city you do, then they'll get all the heat and attention but none of the money.

Yeah you have a year to claim your prize. The actual lotto page has a lot of great information that tells you what to do before you claim your winnings.

The problem is, a lot of your info is public record if you cannot accept anonymously, and entire industries are built around robbing lotto winners of their cash. If it's at all possible to find you, they will.

The correct hing to do if you win is get a good lawyer, estate planner, and financial advisor, and have everything geared to protect yourself and the cash before you ever accept the winnings.

I agree with everything you just wrote in the second paragraph, a smart winner should do all that before they claim there winnings.

Compbros

That looks to be the average ROI. Mine is at 10,000 years now and at -90%.

Total Drawings: 766
Total Spent: $55,082
Total Winnings: $55,401
Time spent playing: 7 years
Actual win odds: 1:1.25
ROI: 1%

Suck it losers!

(I'm spending like 100 on tickets per drawing lol).

AColdDay

I wonder what the best way is to fund video games if you win the lotto? Like say I wanted a new Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines and I had 700 million dollars. How would i even go about making that dream a reality?

If I win the lottery, I would leave the United States. Seriously. The US is almost the only country on Earth where the names of lottery winners are made public. Fuck that. I'll vanish somewhere in Europe. No one will ever see me again in the US.

Don't forget to change your name too. Hell I'll legally change my name before collecting period.

Is it possible to win publicly and retain a normal life? As in, avoiding mass attention from people who don't know you, harassing emails, phone calls, letters and visits to your address...

My goal if we win would be the following:

Pay off debts for ourselves and family

Help set up immediate family such as parents, grandparents and siblings so that they are in stable financially and self sustainable within their living situations based on their monthly income.

Find a nice piece of land within 30-45 minutes from where I was born. Possibly somewhere secluded and private. Draft plans for a dream home costing no more than 1-2 million, with extensive security features such as a padlock fence, etc.

Settle for new, reliable family vehicles. No sports cars, no classic cars, no collecting cars. Just an SUV that can fit a family of five comfortably for long trips, and a 4 door truck with high towing capacity for a decently sized boat.

Obviously we'd like to set aside money to travel the world extensively, without doing so lavishly and spending absurd amounts to eat, drink and sleep in expensive locations.

Lastly, I'd want to start a business in the town I was born. Locally, there is nothing left in this town for entertainment but the local movie theater. We once had a bowling alley and a skating rink, but they were both owned by the same family and mismanaged into closing. I'd like to think I could turn a decent profit by opening a new bowling alley, with top of the line equipment and staff. In addition to this bowling alley, I'd like to include a restaurant conjoined with it, as well as a small bar, pool table area and an arcade that has a heavy emphasis on retro games.

I believe I'd live very much like I do now, so I'm not sure how I'd manage to spend over 400 million and bankrupt myself. It looks like the odds are against everyone who wins, though.

sangreal

Is it possible to win publicly and retain a normal life? As in, avoiding mass attention from people who don't know you, harassing emails, phone calls, letters and visits to your address...

Help set up immediate family such as parents, grandparents and siblings so that they are in stable financially and self sustainable within their living situations based on their monthly income.

Find a nice piece of land within 30-45 minutes from where I was born. Possibly somewhere secluded and private. Draft plans for a dream home costing no more than 1-2 million, with extensive security features such as a padlock fence, etc.

Settle for new, reliable family vehicles. No sports cars, no classic cars, no collecting cars. Just an SUV that can fit a family of five comfortably for long trips, and a 4 door truck with high towing capacity for a decently sized boat.

Obviously we'd like to set aside money to travel the world extensively, without doing so lavishly and spending absurd amounts to eat, drink and sleep in expensive locations.

Lastly, I'd want to start a business in the town I was born. Locally, there is nothing left in this town for entertainment but the local movie theater. We once had a bowling alley and a skating rink, but they were both owned by the same family and mismanaged into closing. I'd like to think I could turn a decent profit by opening a new bowling alley, with top of the line equipment and staff. In addition to this bowling alley, I'd like to include a restaurant conjoined with it, as well as a small bar, pool table area and an arcade that has a heavy emphasis on retro games.

I believe I'd live very much like I do now, so I'm not sure how I'd manage to spend over 400 million and bankrupt myself. It looks like the odds are against everyone who wins, though.

Depends on your state

People talking about family coming out of the wood works. The good news is that I already don't see most of them. It would be funny to see the ones that fucked my mom and I over suddenly apologize for their sins. That would be worth it.

ZOONAMI

See the reddit post above. Probably not. You need a good attorney, financial advisor, and estate planner.

Then yeah it actually probably it would be wise to change you name and move to another country, or at the very least as far away as possible in the US from anyone that knows you.

Essentially put yourself in witness protection. Your #1 enemy is yourself, as you're going to want to be far too generous and far too self destructive. I know those would be my instincts, but I think I could do a lot of good, and even if you do end up broke and at least not dead you're pretty much back to where you were before you won.

I can totally see giving money to family and friends just resulting in them blowing through it and just asking for more though.

10 year treasury bonds seem to be the way to go too, and mutual funds, as even if everything hits the fan you would still have a huge safety net just on the returns alone, as long as you aren't so wreckless to just pull money off the markets as soon as possible when "needed."

Top Bottom