• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Is it possible to win publicly and retain a normal life? As in, avoiding mass attention from people who don't know you, harassing emails, phone calls, letters and visits to your address...

If your state doesn't do the whole pony show thing, then yeah, I guess. But otherwise, I doubt it. I think it was a post here that said to just move out of your city/country and disappear for a year or two. When you "surface" move to a different city and enjoy life.

DJChuy

I joined my fellow coworkers in the lotto pot.

It puts things into perspective regarding my coworkers. Every time it's someone's birthday. I collect money from them in order to buy a cake. However, most of them are "too poor" to pitch in $1. When it comes to the lotto, they miraculously have $6 to give.

Good luck to everyone out there

W-00

If I won, I'd tell my brother as soon as I got a chance to speak with him privately. He's quiet, trustworthy, and knows how to keep a secret, so in the event that something happened to me before I could collect the winnings, someone in my family would still be able to take advantage of the ticket.

Then I'd do the Reddit thing and hire a lawyer to set up a trust and all that stuff. Temporarily changing my name before claiming the prize (and establishing the trust) might also be a good idea, but I'd run it by the lawyer first.

I'd set up a trust for my brother right away, but I think I'd wait before setting one up for anyone else (such as my parents). Setting up trusts for them would imply telling them, and they're... rather less reliable when it comes to secrets. My mother means well, but she really likes to talk and doesn't always stop to think first. My father is just not remotely trustworthy.

I'd tell them that I won one of the million-dollar prizes (and try to wait until someone in the state had genuinely won a million dollar prize from a smaller drawing) and wait to see how they reacted. If they actually kept quiet and didn't push me to waste money, then I'd set up trusts for them and tell them the truth.

None of you are winning, it's going to be won by me on September 2nd.

Count on it.

I'll bite. Why that date, in particular? You expect the jackpot to hit a particular amount? First time a drawing will be held after you turn 18?

Dynomutt

If somebody wins they should pull a Joker from the Dark Knight...
200.gif

could you imagine if you lived in a very impoverished area and won that much money?

itd be a modern day lynching, shit id have to cut off my whole extended family, move to Japan or someshit lol

I live in an area where there is the occasional but not too often instance of:

Drive by

Robbery

Fight

Shooting

And with the fact that my state requires you to give your name to claim the lottery jackpot....yeah. I'm gonna take those six months to claim it and prepare to make myself scarce.

If your state doesn't do the whole pony show thing, then yeah, I guess. But otherwise, I doubt it. I think it was a post here that said to just move out of your city/country and disappear for a year or two. When you "surface" move to a different city and enjoy life.
I will quit my job and become a shut in, will that work?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
When the jackpots were huge in the past, they were like the biggest news story in the country. Now... not so much.

Kenstar

Sorry I only care about the lottery when it hits 1 Billion

someone please make a thread reminding me when that happens so i can suddenly be interested in the lottery then

/lotterygatekeeping

sangreal

Sorry I only care about the lottery when it hits 1 Billion

someone please make a thread reminding me when that happens so i can suddenly be interested in the lottery then

/lotterygatekeeping

it will probably be saturday if noone wins tonight

I'm so dumb I don't even know if I bought the right ticket. Just said Powerball, didn't confirm which date for the drawing or anything.

:D

Top Bottom