• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Powerball jackpot climbs to $700,000,000 for Wednesday’s drawing

I very rarely buy lotto tickets, but usually when it gets up to some absurd amount, I'll buy one just to join in the frenzy. And then, when I lose, I consider it a small donation to my city's schools, roads, and sidewalks.

I was interested in lotto statistics and looked up to find that about 70% of Americans in their 20s and 30s play the lottery at least once a year. Imagine if 70% of people in their 20s and 30s voted at least once a year.

The difference is that it's extraordinarily EASY to get a lotto ticket. They are sold at every corner gas station and they're available more than one day. If you made election day a federal holiday and put polling booths in every gas station I guarantee you'd hit 70% voter participation.

OT, I bought 3 tickets when it got to $1.4b last time, won $7 and so made my money back. So sure, why not.

Also, only chumps opt for the annuity.

Yeah, the lottery is an effective tax on the poor, but in this kind of situation? Fuck it. If $2 lets you daydream about how much fun you'd have with all that money and feel better for the day, go for it.

Ogodei

$440 million after taxes (although by the drawing we could be up to $1 billion and like $600 million after taxes)

$100 million set aside in an index fund for me, should average $5 million/year in growth and there's my income for the rest of my life (and will most of it to charity in the end, except for $20 million per any child i have, given inflation)

$40 million to deserving people/entities who have helped me in the past.

$300 million to form a massive left-wing Super PAC and force any Democrat running up and down the ticket to listen to me.

$440 million after taxes (although by the drawing we could be up to $1 billion and like $600 million after taxes)

$100 million set aside in an index fund for me, should average $5 million/year in growth and there's my income for the rest of my life (and will most of it to charity in the end, except for $20 million per any child i have, given inflation)

$40 million to deserving people/entities who have helped me in the past.

$300 million to form a massive left-wing Super PAC and force any Democrat running up and down the ticket to listen to me.

Dude you don't need $300 million for that. You're the son of Genghis Khan for fuck's sake.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
I don't ever play but got in on a pool at work. Should be an ez win. GG everyone.

First order of business is buying gaf and banning everyone with anime avatars.

Linkura

My coworker said she was doing an office pool today. I was going to join in, but I got distracted and didn't realize until I left. If my fucking coworkers win.....

Poppy

My coworker said she was doing an office pool today. I was going to join in, but I got distracted and didn't realize until I left. If my fucking coworkers win.....
show them who's boss by buying one ticket and winning yourself

and by that i mean actually make yourself the boss with the money

and make them all wear silly hats

Eusis

Yeah, the lottery is an effective tax on the poor, but in this kind of situation? Fuck it. If $2 lets you daydream about how much fun you'd have with all that money and feel better for the day, go for it.
Yeah, I probably play more often than is wise but even then it's one shots on the state lottery when it's big enough, and these when they're getting north of 300 million and are practically events at this point. And hell, I got about $45 once, that's something.

EDIT: Ok, how many of you are even serious about hooker shenanigans? That just sounds like one of those rich asshole stereotypes, but does anyone here, or at least many of you, actually want to live out that stereotype?

Seriously, my plan is this:

-Give 25 million to my mother, two sisters and aunt. As well as 5 million to each of them in an index fund.

-Put 25 million for me in an index fund.

-Hire an artist/animator for $1,000 a week to teach me drawing and animating.

-Do the same for a vocal instructor for voice acting.

-Use newly gained skills to begin my dream animated series. Then use money to help pay for more animated series down the line while living in the lap of moderate luxury.

So what happens if I buy a ticket from my location here in Australia and I win?

Do I have to come to America to collect it?

Don't have a passport.

Poppy

EDIT: Ok, how many of you are even serious about hooker shenanigans? That just sounds like one of those rich asshole stereotypes, but does anyone here, or at least many of you, actually want to live out that stereotype?

clearly after hitting it big you never will be able to find true love again since everyone will just be in it for the money, so whoever wins will have to rely on sex workers because at least then you wont have to wonder if its real or not

Eusis

clearly after hitting it big you never will be able to find true love again since everyone will just be in it for the money, so whoever wins will have to rely on sex workers because at least then you wont have to wonder if its real or not
Ugh, this is why I'd go invest in VR though!

RedAssedApe

Banned
if you win and your state requires you to reveal your identity. make sure you hold a press conference and give gaf a shoutout.

Oxn

Seriously, my plan is this:

-Give 25 million to my mother, two sisters and aunt. As well as 5 million to each of them in an index fund.

-Put 25 million for me in an index fund.

-Hire an artist/animator for $1,000 a week to teach me drawing and animating.

-Do the same for a vocal instructor for voice acting.

-Use newly gained skills to begin my dream animated series. Then use money to help pay for more animated series down the line while living in the lap of moderate luxury.

Hookers, coke, and fast cars for me.

Tetra-9

Gonna buy a couple tickets tonight. Although if I win I'll be somewhat scared how bad my health will get from all the partying. Would have to start working at a non-profit organization or something to keep me from being such an animal.

Draper

I've been thinking about my future ownership of gaf.

Along with my dedicated app, Gaf gold would be offered to those that want response notifications and the ability to post animated avatars. Your name would also be a unique color and design.

And beyond that,

Bend the knee...

If you wish to retain your membership here, I will need a picture of you bowing to me...pledge your loyalty to my empire or join the list of beheaded defectors.

I join the office pool, but the chance to win is so horrendously low. There are so many numbers to guess! It doesn't help that the prize money doesn't scale well. I'd settle for any 5-digit prize if I could.

The lottery commission will get my $2 tomorrow, why not.

It has gotten a bit silly, though. Ever since they changed the rules ($2 tickets, more numbers, etc) these jackpots just string on and on. I can't imagine how many tickets they sold for last Saturday when it was 500m+, and not one fucking person hit it. Crazy

Top Bottom