• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Press Reactions to Wonder Woman

NeonBlack

Damn if only it wasn't for Suicide Squad, Warner Bros. would have had a series of consecutive hits on their hands.

Man of Steel: Awesome
Batman v Superman: Awesome
Suicide Squad: Really Bad
Wonder Woman: apparently also Awesome

So this is the Berenstain Timeline

Cipherr

Snyder is still directing JL, so looks like the cycle of shit will still continue.

Im prepared for that though. We just really need WW to be good, and to do well financially so it won't slam shut the door on the rest of female solo SH films. Snyder may very well shit the bed again later this year, but I don't care about that anymore. My faith is in the WW franchise and Aquaman.

RDreamer

Really glad this is getting good reviews. Looks awesome. There are some really great shots in the trailers and it looks fun. Kinda seems like it could be the best of both the DC and WB worlds as far as style.

Damn if only it wasn't for Suicide Squad, Warner Bros. would have had a series of consecutive hits on their hands.

Yeah I'm almost with you, though I didn't mind Suicide Squad. It was fun enough

For me:
Man of Steel: Pretty Good
Batman v Superman: Masterpiece
Suicide Squad: Ok

In what world was Man of Steel and BvS "awesome"? If that's your personal view on the movies that's fine, but those were not hits.

Boke1879

Im prepared for that though. We just really need WW to be good, and to do well financially so it won't slam shut the door on the rest of female solo SH films. Snyder may very well shit the bed again later this year, but I don't care about that anymore. My faith is in the WW franchise and Aquaman.

The thing with JL is that probably regardless how it reviews. It's still going to make a lot of money.

Wow so Marvel paid off critics to get fans hopes up, and then disappoint them because the film is obviously bad

Seeing through your smokescreen, Disney

Dyl

Snyder is still directing JL, so looks like the cycle of shit will still continue.

Even if JL is mediocre (and I'm expecting them to go all-out with the "fun" and have a happy ending, unlike BvS), the post-JL slate is looking very solid:

Aquaman by James Wan
Batman by Matt Reeves
Justice League Dark by Doug Liman
Batgirl by Joss Whedon
Nightwing by Chris McKay

Some good stuff ahead, barring any setbacks.

Wow so Marvel paid off critics to get fans hopes up, and then disappoint them because the film is obviously bad

Seeing through your smokescreen, Disney

tenor.gif

Alienfan

God, this happens for every single DC comic book movie doesn't it.

A bunch if die hard comic book fans see the movie, rave about it.
We get excited too.
Embargo lifts.
Reviews aren't like those first impressions.
We still go and see it because "it can't possibly be that bad!!"
It is.
Cycle continues.

I really hope this movie is good, and it might be! But I'm not falling for "press reactions" again

Betty

Banned
I remember the first reactions to Batman v Superman being positive too.

But these reactions are way better than Suicide Squads.

Yeah I'm almost with you, though I didn't mind Suicide Squad. It was fun enough

For me:
Man of Steel: Pretty Good
Suicide Squad: Ok

Almost with you too but personally:

Man of Steel: Great
Batman v Superman*: Masterpiece
Suicide Squad: Not terrible but wasted potential

* Ultimate Cut of course.

Tabby

Wouldn't say SS was "Really Bad" but I agree.

Man of Steel: Amazing
Suicide Squad: Average/Wasted Potential.

Boke1879

God, this happens for every single DC comic book movie doesn't it.

A bunch if die hard comic book fans see the movie, rave about it.
We get excited too.
Embargo lifts.
Reviews aren't like those first impressions.
We still go and see it because "it can't possibly be that bad!!"
It is.
Cycle continues.

I really hope this movie is good, and it might be! But I'm not falling for "press reactions" again

But these are Press reactions. BvS were straight up fan reactions. Critics were always mixed to harsh on BvS and SS was always bad.

These aren't fanboys going to see the movie and being hyped.

Yassss! Hopefully this will hold true for the public as well.

Seems like Round 1 of Snyder trouncing is going according to plan. Now to wait till November.

I didn't know there were this many people on GAF who thought BvS was a masterpiece. Now I know who's movie opinions to avoid lol

Really happy that this one might actually be good, and that it's directed by and stars a woman as well.

Ahasverus

As much as I like the BvS UC, what it tried and what it achieved, I'm in need of a pure, heroic film, especially one that is NOT trying to be a comedy and veers into cartoon territory.

Superman being the main influence on this one is just fantastic news.

Boke1879

I didn't know there were this many people on GAF who thought BvS was a masterpiece. Now I know who's movie opinions to avoid lol

Really happy that this one might actually be good, and that it's directed by and stars a woman as well.

Masterpiece is most likely pushing it. But ya gotta accept that some people might like something that you don't. Doesn't mean their opinions are trash. Because they just might end up liking a lot of movies you do as well.

effzee

GAF: early buzz is negative this is going to be a trainwreck!

GAF: early buzz is positive haha can't fool me this is going to be terrible!

Also these are impressions from reviewers not fans.

Disgraced

I can't believe people hate the electric cello. I think it sounds fucking cool. I hope they use it in this one.
I liked it in Butts v. Soup, but I think in the trailer for this it kind of clashes with the time period. It's a really electric cello. The instrument aside, I'd hope the riff itself returns because fuckin' A man–it's a recognizable slice of music and blockbusters could use more of those lately. Especially films about iconic characters...

I can't tell what brings GAF more pleasure: shitting on Nintendo or shitting on DC?

Like dang, the reactions are glowing. Let the fans have this moment, you negative Nancy's.
That comparison doesn't even make sense.

There have been two genuinely awful DCEU films and one mediocre one. It's reasonable to be doubtful, especially when most of the glowing reviews are "it's better than a completely mediocre film".

Turin

Banned
As someone who doesn't read comics or care much about comic movies, I've had my eye on this one. I wonder if she can be an unexpected anchor for casual viewers like Cap was for MCU.

Sojgat

Well if the interplay between Gadot and Pine does work, they've nailed the part they most needed to.

Pretty happy if this is true.

Suicide Squad felt like I was watching an amateur film that had to rush edit for the final project. It was hilarious in parts because of how bad it was. Shocks me every time I see people say it was not terrible. I'm not a film snob but it certainly makes me feel that way.

On the plus side I really wanted Wonder woman to be good. Still have to wait for official reviews though.

Rooster12

Even if JL is mediocre (and I'm expecting them to go all-out with the "fun" and have a happy ending, unlike BvS), the post-JL slate is looking very solid:

Aquaman by James Wan
Batman by Matt Reeves
Justice League Dark by Doug Liman
Batgirl by Joss Whedon
Nightwing by Chris McKay

Some good stuff ahead, barring any setbacks.

3 Batman related movies? ughhh

Top Bottom