• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita 45% Price Drop in Hong Kong - WiFi Vita + case + ModNation bundle is ~$165

Ty4on

Why so defensive ? he is rightfully asking for a cheaper price , and he did not asked for 10 minute games. Also 3ds and IOS have a lot of games than are > 10 mins too. The point is that the 2 GB card is cheap and there is no reasons for Sony to price their cards so expensive.

Just stating that games on the Vita are cheap with and without PS+. All handheld devices have 10 minute games and 10+ minute games, but if you're only looking for short games to play bursts of then the Vita is a bad device unless you really like P4G. If you want to play a console like game then there really isn't a better emulation of it out there other than maybe the Shield.

If this same type of deal were available in the US for $150, i would be tempted but they still need some interesting, only-on-Vita games. Thus far every game on there is either a port or being ported to PS3, PC, etc.
That's just FUD. While there could always be more exclusives, they aren't all ps3 ports.

On topic: I'm ready to jump in and join VitaGAF. Just waiting for this very kind of news out of Gamescom. Conventional wisdom is that if the price drops in the US it will go to $199 but it really looks like it could possibly go even lower. I personally am looking for a bigger drop on the core package rather than a more modest drop + bundles.

Just keep the price. I think the system is well worth the asking price. However, for the love of God, Sony, slash the memory card prices. Even $50 would be expensive, but it would be much better value than $100 for the 32gb. Their Uncharted 3 PS3 bundle is $270 with the game , a 250gb hard drive, and a year of PS+. It's embarrasing.

That's just FUD. While there could always be more exclusives, they aren't all ps3 ports.

On topic: I'm ready to jump in and join VitaGAF. Just waiting for this very kind of news out of Gamescom. Conventional wisdom is that if the price drops in the US it will go to $199 but it really looks like it could possibly go even lower. I personally am looking for a bigger drop on the core package rather than a more modest drop + bundles.
I would buy a vita for $200,to me that's a good deal.The memory cards on the other hand need a huge price cut,i'll pay $30 maybe $40 for a 32GB card.

dude819

There could always be more exclusives (that are worth it to me) but there also could not be. Still seems expensive for a single use device that still does not have exclusive games that I want.

Skeff

There could always be more exclusives (that are worth it to me) but there also could not be. Still seems expensive for a single use device that still does not have exclusive games that I want.

Well it's not really a single use device, I know a lot of people who by tablets to use as facebook machines, which works great on the Vita, I'm not saying it's the greatest multi tasking device of all time, it's definitely for gaming, but it's certainly capable of other things.

I would buy a vita for $200,to me that's a good deal.The memory cards on the other hand need a huge price cut,i'll pay $30 maybe $40 for a 32GB card.
Yeah, I think $200 is a good price, but lower memory prices will make it much more attractive. $200 and a bundled card is even better.

And, man, what's with all the crazy flash sales on Vita in the EU? Do we get those very often in the US and I've just missed them?

dude819

Well it's not really a single use device, I know a lot of people who by tablets to use as facebook machines, which works great on the Vita, I'm not saying it's the greatest multi tasking device of all time, it's definitely for gaming, but it's certainly capable of other things.

I forget that GAF is home of the nitpickers.

Vita can, indeed, perform multiple functions but, let's be real here, they don't matter. It is a game playing machine.

So, in 2013, being a mainly game machine makes you an additional thing i need to carry that only has one function. It makes it tough to stomach that much of a price that will only do one function when i already have a phone that has games to entertain me when I need it.

That being said, the aforementioned bundle for about $150 in the US with some games (perhaps maybe this Killzone game which seems cool) and I could totally be in.

Why so defensive ? he is rightfully asking for a cheaper price , and he did not asked for 10 minute games. Also 3ds and IOS have a lot of games than are > 10 mins too. The point is that the 2 GB card is cheap and there is no reasons for Sony to price their cards so expensive.

Well, the Vita doesn't use SD cards.

Ty4on

So, in 2013, being a mainly game machine makes you an additional thing i need to carry that only has one function. It makes it tough to stomach that much of a price that will only do one function when i already have a phone that has games to entertain me when I need it.

That's the thing that fascinates me. I understand why the market for the Vita (right now especially) would be very small, for most people a phone is enough and carrying a Vita can be too much hassle yet I don't really understand why the 3DS sells and what its primary market is. I guess the 3DS sells for being a cheap Nintendo machine with good Nintendo games which makes you wonder how well the Vita would sell with a low price. Personally I think that while price for the memory cards may be too much the price itself is spot on, it is the software that is lacking. People gladly pay 500-700 for a phone/tablet (a 200$ phone isn't a 200$ phone and you know it) because of the apps.

The Vita is really powerful. An iPod Touch is similarly priced (around 20-50$ cheaper) yet has the same CPU, GPU and battery capacity, if you cut it all in half. The Vita has more RAM than current gen consoles and the same GPU as the iPad 3. gen only it is running at 200Mhz instead of 250.
51304.png
So it should be possible to play open world games without making too many sacrifices. It would be interesting to see what big games could do with the console. Is there a market for GTA on the go when you can finally play proper GTA.

Meier

The Vita frankly isn't worth it until the memory card prices drop. I'm not spending any more money on mine until I can get a 32 GB card for $30-$40.

Curufinwe

All I want is a Vita + 32GB memory card for $200. Is that too much to ask? ._.

For a while longer, yeah, unless there's a great Black Friday deal.

My Vita and 32 GB memory card cost me $225 net, although if I had sold AC3 Liberation for $25 as well as selling the PS All Stars code for $20 and the 3 months of PS+ for $10 I could have got the total cost down to $200.

spwolf

personally i might be buying it only for PS4 (and I guess PS+ doesnt hurt), so this is excellent news...

they really might do that $499 bundle then?

So it should be possible to play open world games without making too many sacrifices.

The Vita already has a great open-world game - Gravity Rush. Seeing as how Gravity Rush is practically a launch game (came out in Japan 3 months after the system), I can only imagine how good an open-world game could be from a developer with a few years of experience with the system.

enishi

As other members stated, it is just a limited deal for the show.

Only 40 sets available for that price.

Though Sony official price here is HKD 1780 (USD 228.8) for the bundle, all game shops, including those SCEH "operates", are selling at HKD 1590 (USD 204.4). And you can buy a 8GB card for HKD 119 (USD 15.3)

I bought this package for HKD 1609 (USD 206.8) last month with the special offer from HK PSN (HKD 100 bundle reduction, plus extra HKD 100 PSN refund), just in time for Toukiden and Dragon Crown.

Birbo

All I want is a Vita + 32GB memory card for $200. Is that too much to ask? ._.

That's about what I just paid for my used system from Cowboom ($115 shipped) and a 32gb card ($85 at Newegg). Going to be pissed if they announce a drastic price cut and/or larger memory card at Gamescom.

sajj316

The Vita frankly isn't worth it until the memory card prices drop. I'm not spending any more money on mine until I can get a 32 GB card for $30-$40.

Quite frankly, I don't think you'll be purchasing a Vita anytime soon. I don't think it will ever get to SD card prices .. unless a redesign of the Vita supports SD cards.

KiteGr

I'm very disappointed with my Vita.
As someone who doesn't like buying digitally, I feel there are less games for the system than Virtual Boy.

RobRSG

Besides the console pricecut, I'd appreciate something similar on those memory cards.

I have lots of Vita, PSOne and PSP games but, sadly, no room for them... :(

Top Bottom