• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Yes, it is all working. I downloaded PSN+ games for free, and also bought a couple games as well. Netflix/Hulu also working fine.
Thanks. Taking the plunge.

Man I miss megaupload. Friggen rapidshare speeds...

Is mediafire not an option for the upgrade.pup, N.A?

I usually get a lot better speeds from them unless they've changed things over there.

jediyoshi

Thanks. Taking the plunge.

Man I miss megaupload. Friggen rapidshare speeds...

Is mediafire not an option for the upgrade.pup, N.A?

I usually get a lot better speeds from them unless they've changed things over there.

The guide should probably just throw up the md5 hashes so people can google for the files as well

The guide should probably just throw up the md5 hashes so people can google for the files as well
Well I tried upgrading directly from 4.21 to 4.30 in recovery and got "data corrupted" error. So, I take it I have to go through the whole downgrade steps listed in the wiki. Downloading all the pups on these shitty file hosts is going to take a while.

gtmax

Why dont take a new backup of them from the discs?

I gave the games away, some are in storage. My Wangan Midnight and Initia D can't be found easily.

Hey but guess what?! I just went back and downloaded the original 3.55 pup, OFW. EVERYTHING INSTALLED. Now i'm afraid to go to this latest Rogero firmware. Wish me luck dudes!

Im following the directions on NA's site. No disk in drive either!

gtmax

Well I tried upgrading directly from 4.21 to 4.30 in recovery and got "data corrupted" error. So, I take it I have to go through the whole downgrade steps listed in the wiki. Downloading all the pups on these shitty file hosts is going to take a while.

I hear that man. Same shit happened to me, trying to get back right now. Good luck to you brother.

test_account

XP-39C²
I gave the games away, some are in storage. My Wangan Midnight and Initia D can't be found easily.

Hey but guess what?! I just went back and downloaded the original 3.55 pup, OFW. EVERYTHING INSTALLED. Now i'm afraid to go to this latest Rogero firmware. Wish me luck dudes!

Im following the directions on NA's site. No disk in drive either!
Ah ok, i see.

Cool that you fixed the other firmware stuff =)

I hear that man. Same shit happened to me, trying to get back right now. Good luck to you brother.
What happened to you? I didn't brick or anything (not yet lol) I only tried to bypass the downgrading steps but it didn't work. I'm in the process of doing the steps listed in the wiki now. Waiting on one more pup to download.

edit: nvm solved.

gtmax

So the good news is that everything went well, finally. I'm on the latest Rogero 4.30 V1.2 and what not. The bad news? I tried playing a backed game and got a black screen. Had to manually turn off my ps3. Seems as though i need to re-up all my eboots in order to play on this version?

Why would i possibly want to do this when everything was silky smooth on 3.55 Kmeoow? I already have a second ps3 for Netlifx, Youtubes, Hulu, Amazon VOD, etc.

I'm thinking of downgrading back to OFW 3.55>CFW 3.55Kmeaw.

Edit: Is it different launching a game from 4.30 Rog than 3.55? My method was going into multiman, selecting game>takes back to XMB>game in drive>select disc and play!

Is it different on this CFW?

cacildo

everything went fine.

Except....

Well, netflix still dosent work

I mean, i have a netflix account, but i never had the chance to try it on the PS3 (when i signed Netflix my ps3 was already on kmeaw)

So, i tried the netflix app, it updated, then said it wont run. didnt even gave me a login screen.

I tried the "my channels" stuff right above netflix and it said "cant be done under "demostration mode"

Maybe thats the problem?

Netflix working fine on wii.... but it was never in HD

jediyoshi

So the good news is that everything went well, finally. I'm on the latest Rogero 4.30 V1.2 and what not. The bad news? I tried playing a backed game and got a black screen. Had to manually turn off my ps3. Seems as though i need to re-up all my eboots in order to play on this version?

Why would i possibly want to do this when everything was silky smooth on 3.55 Kmeoow?

You need to make sure multiman is a current compatible version with your cfw. You do need original, not modified for 3.55 eboots for games to run.

The advantage is that you won't need modified eboots anymore period until they start releasing games that require newer firmware. While a lot of newer releases have 3.55 eboots made for them, it's a godsend for older games that have a bunch of updates since finding cracks for them can be hit or miss.

gtmax

So with that program, i can keep the 3.55 eboots and they'll be sort out by this thing? Is it a .pkg type program?

I'll check it out. Thanks for the help.

Updated to 4.30 no problem.

Is it me or is there a lot less settings options? Is this a bug or something to do with that demonstration mode stuff? I feel like there are settings options missing. Remember the list being much longer to get down to network settings.

everything went fine.

Except....

Well, netflix still dosent work
Works for me. The demonstration error only pops up if I click channels under video. But launching the netflix app itself directly I have no issues.

I have no idea what this demonstration mode shit is. Ugh.

Mitama

If they're signed with 3.55 - yes!

Use 'TrueAncestor EBOOT Resigner v1.4' if you're staying on 4.30, takes a couple of seconds per eboot.

Not necessary for Rebug though, everything from 3.55 works fine there. Didn't have to fix a single game when I went from Kmeaw's 3.55 CFW to Rebug 4.21.

Does anyone know whether region-free DVD and/or Blu-ray movie playback is available on either Rogero 4.30 or Rebug 4.21 REX?

I still haven't decided which firmware to go to yet (not in any particular rush though).

Not necessary for Rebug though, everything from 3.55 works fine there. Didn't have to fix a single game when I went from Kmeaw's 3.55 CFW to Rebug 4.21.
That's pretty interesting. Were these post-3.55 games that you needed to patch to get working in kmeaw, or were they just pre-3.55 games though?

Mitama

Does anyone know whether region-free DVD and/or Blu-ray movie playback is available on either Rogero 4.30 or Rebug 4.21 REX?

I still haven't decided which firmware to go to yet (not in any particular rush though).

That's pretty interesting. Were these post-3.55 games that you needed to patch to get working in kmeaw, or were they just pre-3.55 games though?

Both actually, I believe Rebug has support for modified eboots whereas Rogero doesn't since it requires the original EBOOT file. Not sure about region-free movie playback, it's not listed as a feature at least (Rebug).

test_account

XP-39C²
Ah phew, sounds good! All fat PS3s should be downgradeable as per this chart.
True as you say, but i just wanted to add that if it is a brand new and unused 80GB PS3, then it comes with firmware well under 3.55 (unless the store updated it), so no need to downgrade it :)

Computer: How did you find a brand new 80GB PS3?

Gonna upgrade to Rogero 4.30 from Kmeaw CFW3.55.

Question.

Im a little paranoid on bricking my slim 120GB Ps3, only thing im worried about I installed fuckpsn when it first came out, i havent upgraded since.

Do i need to return CA27.cer back to its original state before doing anything? Or is it safe to upgrade?

Exentryk

That page said:

Q.) CAN I SOFTWARE DOWNGRADE FROM 4.XX OFW?
A.) NO, THE ONLY WAY RIGHT NOW IS TO USE A HARDWARE FLASHER, (E3, PROGSKEET ECT) IT CAN BE COMPLICATED SO BE CAREFUL.

That sounds risky. Did you all use hardware flashers?

Can somebody explain to me what the QA flag does? I notice that the Rebug guys recommend setting the QA flag in 3.55 before upgrading to a higher CFW:

"QA is supported in all REBUG REX EDITIONS but at this point in time we are unable to set the QA Token from GameOS on 3.55+ firmware.

It is good practice to enable QA in 3.55 before updating to any CFW not just REBUG."

N.A

Banned
Can somebody explain to me what the QA flag does? I notice that the Rebug guys recommend setting the QA flag in 3.55 before upgrading to a higher CFW:

"QA is supported in all REBUG REX EDITIONS but at this point in time we are unable to set the QA Token from GameOS on 3.55+ firmware.

It is good practice to enable QA in 3.55 before updating to any CFW not just REBUG."

QA flag allows you to more easily downgrade firmware.

cacildo

My blackbox FTP wont work anymore.

I tried to install it again, but it didnt work. Called an error

Can anyone point me to a FTP app that works under 4.30 rogero?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Multiman's FTP feature works just fine for me.

Blackbox that was signed for 4.21 still worked for me on 4.30. Did you come from kmeaw? If there isn't one already signed for 4.30 then you can try the one signed for 4.21. It does work!

Check the wiki page. The download link is on the right side. Pretty sure that will be the latest blackbox released and it should work.

http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Blackb0x_FTP_Server

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Blackbox that was signed for 4.21 still worked for me on 4.30. Did you come from kmeaw? If there isn't one already signed for 4.30 then you can try the one signed for 4.21. It does work!

Check the wiki page. The download link is on the right side. Pretty sure that will be the latest blackbox released and it should work.

http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/Blackb0x_FTP_Server

That page hasn't been updated since January 2011, and the download link is dead. This re-signed version will work under 4.30, however.

QA flag allows you to more easily downgrade firmware.
If you go to 3.55 OFW and then to a higher CFW from that, wouldn't your QA flag not be set though?

Also are there any good articles or guides which discuss the nitty gritty of PS3 CFW, but written for a layman (or at least non-devs)? I wouldn't mind learning a bit more about the QA flag, syscon dehashing, what the various patches do, etc. I see all of these terms thrown around but have no idea what they really mean.

Multiman's FTP feature works just fine for me.
Yeah the earlier versions of MultiMAN had broken FTP (at least for me), but with the more recent releases it works fine and I've stopped using the dedicated FTP apps and just use MultiMAN.

Sarquiss_

Rogero CFW 4.30 v1.03 is out. I currently have Rogero CFW 4.30 v1.00 installed and was wondering whether I could just update straight to this version or do I need to downgrade to OFW 3.55 then upgrade to this new CFW???

cameron

Can I dehash from ofw 3.55 or do I need to install a rogero cfw 3.X first?

Not 100% sure, but to dehash, you need to install toggle_qa.pkg. To install package files, you need to be on CFW or a debug console.

Also, I looked this up a few days ago, and I'm getting some conflicting info on when to dehash. Some say you only need to dehash if you went higher than 3.55 and then downgraded (i.e. it's not necessary if you're on CFW/OFW 3.55 and never went above that). While others are saying you always have to dehash, regardless. And a few others are saying you only need to dehash on 3.55 if you wanted to drop to 3.41 or lower (setting the QA flag will allow you to downgrade via XMB rather than through recovery).

Maybe someone here can clarify.

N.A

Banned
If you go to 3.55 OFW and then to a higher CFW from that, wouldn't your QA flag not be set though?

QA Flag will stay even if you go to an OFW (you can toggle it off with the same PKG if you ever want to remove CFW).

Sarquiss_ said:
Rogero CFW 4.30 v1.03 is out. I currently have Rogero CFW 4.30 v1.00 installed and was wondering whether I could just update straight to this version or do I need to downgrade to OFW 3.55 then upgrade to this new CFW???

As always, it's recommended to install any new CFW from 3.55 OFW. You may be able to install it from other firmwares but you increase the risk of something going wrong.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Going from any CFW to 3.55 OFW is always a simple process and similar, right? Or does it vary depending on the CFW you're on?

Cloak

Ok I haven't been following the scene in the last few weeks, so just to understand if I'm on Kmeaw CFW 3.55 I can (following this guide) have to go back to OFW 3.55 first. Does that mean I should delete all the extra folders/game directories/ remove any apps first?

If I don't, will I have to re-install my apps, like MultiMAN, and will it find my games that are on the HDD?

Also I assume that Rogero 4.30 will allow me to play game signed up until that FW version?

Quickly reading through some posts, I should be able to connect to PSN and then download games I've previously purchased? I can't wait to get Okami HD :)

Top Bottom