• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Here is the promised guide for taking screenshots in any game: http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/How_to_Take_Screenshots_in_any_Game

Here's one I just took in Catherine:
eWCjv.jpg

Oh, somebody should get to work on an undub version then :) (what fw does require the PAL version ? it works with CEX to DEX though right ?)
(I have none of the PS3 versions of that game, and frankly already spent enough on all 3 360 version as is ^^'')

Its possible without OtherOS too. You must be on firmware 3.55 or lower though.
Yeah, I upgraded my phat PS3 recently so I could use Netflix so its firmware is current... =\

If I do this to my slim PS3 that is on 3.55 CFW, will I lose Blu-ray playback? I thought I read that developer consoles couldn't do that.

N.A

Banned
Oh, somebody should get to work on an undub version then :) (what fw does require the PAL version ? it works with CEX to DEX though right ?)
(I have none of the PS3 versions of that game, and frankly already spent enough on all 3 360 version as is ^^'')

PAL version is 3.73. Can probably use the US fix and modify the param.sfo though.

interesting!
I have no idea how ebootfix works, bu I guess if the pal eboot is signed in 3.72, it can't be patched(?) like that or the us eboot could work in lieu of the pal one, but I'm not sure other languages (text) would work/be selectable after that.

thanks for the info on Graces F undub too! I'm looking forward to playing that :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, I upgraded my phat PS3 recently so I could use Netflix so it's firmware is current... =\

If I do this to my slim PS3 that is on 3.55 CFW, will I lose Blu-ray playback? I thought I read that developer consoles couldn't do that.
Ah ok, i see.

Not sure if you will lose Bluray playback, but i've read that you lose PSN access forever, even if you convert it back later on. I'm sure if there are any updated info around this, but i havnt heard anything different at least.

EDIT: Apparently you can recover PSN access if you flash the NAND/NOR back to normal before you did the CEX to DEX conversion. Not that PSN works on firmware 3.55 anyway, but in case you decide to upgrade later on.

honestly if you dump you nand before switching you retail to dev, stay the hell away from psn and flash that back to retail at some point, I don't see why you'd loose psn forever... but then again, that's just me.

The PS3 scene seems horrible. Outdated firmware, so you can't even keep up with features and new games. Can you log in to PSN? Barely any real good homebrew projects other than a media player (a lot easier to just get a Roku or aTV) and USB loader, which is a waste on a system like PS3 where you can download games to the HDD anyway, the games are so large...

Seems like a huge waste of time to me. And this is someone who modded their PS2, Wii, PSP, DS, iPhone, etc.

The USB loader would be cool if all the games worked and it significantly reduced load times and I don't think it accomplishes either of those things.

I won't lie, I am talking out my ass. I skimmed the thread. Feel free to correct me.
I use CFW on one of my PS3s for a number of reasons:
  • Makes it a multi-region DVD and Blu-ray player (OFW means you're region locked for both).
  • Showtime means I can play any digital video file through it (OFW means you basically can't play anything)
  • It allows me to have a gaming 'jukebox', where every single one of my games is available by pressing X with no disc swapping.
  • Every emulator that I'm interested in runs on it (Master System, Mega Drive, NES, SNES, Amiga, SCUMM, DosBox, and Arcade).
  • It gives me full access to the PS3 file system, something I enjoy messing around with (mmOS is great for this now, looks very slick).
  • Allows me to mod games (GTA in particular has some very cool mods available now, but there are other games as well).
  • Other miscellaneous stuff (e.g. XMB screenshots).
For me CFW is fantastic. I have my CFW PS3 set up in my lounge room, hooked up to my projector. It's basically the only thing (apart from my tuner+PVR unit) I have hooked up to my projector, and it does everything (DVDs, Blu-rays, digital video files, all games, emulators). My friends come over on a Friday night before we head out and it means we can look through my entire game collection on the screen and select a game with the click of a button. I play all of my online games on my other PS3 in another part of the house (the projector introduces a small amount of lag which can be a problem for competitive online games).

You dont need a own CFW for the update stuff. You can just use a spoofer. You need a new spoofer for each new OFW that comes out though, but OFW doesnt get released very often.
That's why I'd like a CFW with the blocks built in, you'd never need to worry about spoofers again because the firmware update notification would never come through.

Senaxx

Banned
interesting!
I have no idea how ebootfix works, bu I guess if the pal eboot is signed in 3.72, it can't be patched(?) like that or the us eboot could work in lieu of the pal one, but I'm not sure other languages (text) would work/be selectable after that.

thanks for the info on Graces F undub too! I'm looking forward to playing that :)

DeanK's EbootFIX has keys untill firmware version 3.60, any eboot signed higher then 3.60 (e.g. 3.72) cannot be decrypted and resigned with 3.55 keys (for you to launch on CFW)

The 3.72 keys need to be leaked and added to the .ps3 folder in EbootFIX to be able to decrypt those eboot's.

Newer games even come with more encrypted files, so as the scene progresses it seems that more files need decryption before a game can be started on lower firmware.

Senaxx>yeah, that's what I was thinking.

anybody tried those ?

Metal.Gear.Solid.HD.Collection.1.01.BLUS30847.EXEtrimALL
One.Piece.Kaizoku.Musou.BLJM60416.EXEtrimALL
NeverDead.BLES01303.EXEtrimALL
Naruto.Shippuden.Ultimate.Ninja.Storm.Generations.BLUS30792.EXEtrimALL
Game.of.Thrones.BLUS30939.EXEtrimALL
Dragons.Dogma.BLES01356.EXEtrimALL
Prototype.2.BLES01532.EXEtrimALL
Armored.Core.V.BLES01440.EXEtrimALL

test_account

XP-39C²
That's why I'd like a CFW with the blocks built in, you'd never need to worry about spoofers again because the firmware update notification would never come through.
I understand. I dont think it is possible since they seem to release a new one at each new OFW.

honestly if you dump you nand before switching you retail to dev, stay the hell away from psn and flash that back to retail at some point, I don't see why you'd loose psn forever... but then again, that's just me.
I read more up on it now and it seems that this is the case indeed, that flashing back will restore PSN access. Maybe what i read earlier was about if you only tried to convert it back without flashing.

Senaxx

Banned
I understand. I dont think it is possible since they seem to release a new one at each new OFW.

I read more up on it now and it seems that this is the case indeed, that flashing back will restore PSN access. Maybe what i read earlier was about if you only tried to convert it back without flashing.

If you have a NOR PS3, you can downgrade with an E3 flasher. And you can just upgrade again with normal OFW firmware. As soon if you are on the latest firmware you can access PSN again.

PSN uses auth "access" key that has to be in the firmware. So untill firmware 4.21 as soon as you extracted that and did patch it in 3.55 you where able to connect to PSN. But with the latest firmware the access method has changed. So for now there is no way to access PSN on CFW.

But as soon if you upgrade to the latest OFW you will be able to access PSN again.

Senaxx>yeah, that's what I was thinking.

anybody tried those ?

Metal.Gear.Solid.HD.Collection.1.01.BLUS30847.EXEtrimALL
One.Piece.Kaizoku.Musou.BLJM60416.EXEtrimALL
NeverDead.BLES01303.EXEtrimALL
Naruto.Shippuden.Ultimate.Ninja.Storm.Generations.BLUS30792.EXEtrimALL
Game.of.Thrones.BLUS30939.EXEtrimALL
Dragons.Dogma.BLES01356.EXEtrimALL
Prototype.2.BLES01532.EXEtrimALL
Armored.Core.V.BLES01440.EXEtrimALL

I have these patches up at my website and i had multimple confirmation that these patches work :)

Also released are:
Super.Street.Figher.IV.Arcade.Edition.EBOOT.PATCH.106.USA.READNFO.PS3-N0DRM
The_Darkness_II_EBOOT_PATCH_USA_PS3_NRP
WWE_12_EBOOT_PATCH_USA_PS3_NRP

test_account

XP-39C²
If you have a NOR PS3, you can downgrade with an E3 flasher. And you can just upgrade again with normal OFW firmware. As soon if you are on the latest firmware you can access PSN again.

PSN uses auth "access" key that has to be in the firmware. So untill firmware 4.21 as soon as you extracted that and did patch it in 3.55 you where able to connect to PSN. But with the latest firmware the access method has changed. So for now there is no way to access PSN on CFW.

But as soon if you upgrade to the latest OFW you will be able to access PSN again.
True, i just ment that as the situation is now, PSN doesnt work on 3.55. And if you dont flash your PS3, but still try to do CEX -> DEX -> CEX, PSN access might be lost. E3 also supports NAND by the way :)

isn't there an homebrew software to dump and reflash the nor (I suppose Linux+OtherOS could do that)

Supposedly any dex fw enables you to go back to any fw?

Neverdead.

So does this core dump DEX option mean decrypted eboots and no need for higher keys?

CEX to DEX method basically means you convert your retail system to a devkit system, then can upgrade to any dev fw (and from what I understand can go back to any older dev fw at anytime)
the way this works right now is that ANY 3.60+ game works only if it has an update on Sony servers. (basically that NEWER devkit version of the eboot (from the update) will override (in the eye of your ps3) the on disc older eboot of the game)

meaning that, yeah, you don't need the keys, since you're allready running the right version of the fw for your game. (but if the game you want to play doesn't have an update for some reason, you're pretty much screwed until one comes out.)

also, how long until Sony find a way around this ?

Crayons

Banned
Hello PS3-CFW gaf, finally getting a PS3 next week. I'm assuming a brand new PS3 is updated way higher than what you need to run homebrew? Sorry if this was already asked, the FAQ link isn't working on my 3DS.

Senaxx

Banned
Hello PS3-CFW gaf, finally getting a PS3 next week. I'm assuming a brand new PS3 is updated way higher than what you need to run homebrew? Sorry if this was already asked, the FAQ link isn't working on my 3DS.

You are out of luck. You are getting probably a new 3000 serie PS3 and those can't be hardware downgraded (yet).
If you can get your hands one of lower hardware revisions you can downgrade with a hardware NOR Clip from E3 PS3 (risky) or if you have a really old PS3 (NAND) you need to solder.

PS3's aren't downgradable through software if you are on 3.55 or higher.

Btw 4 new patches by N0DRM: (these are now playable on CFW 3.55)

Street.Fighter.X.Tekken.(EUR)_BLES01252.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.READNFO.PS3-N0DRM
DRIVER.San.Francisco_BLES00891.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.READNFO.PS3-N0DRM
Soul.Calibur.V_BLUS30736.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.READNFO.PS3-N0DRM
Binary.Domain_BLES01211.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.READNFO.PS3-N0DRM

jediyoshi

Looks like homebrew that allows people to strip the tb drm from their eboots is out, probably worth just waiting for people to do the bulk of the actual work since it looks pretty involved
Doesn't seem like a lot of huge releases left that aren't already playable somehow though

don't worry there's always obscure stuff you can't play until some works on it like those Bluray Hybrid pack (Macross, .Hack, Eureka7AO, TekkenTT1 etc) you can't even watch the movie part if your ps3 isn't in the right fw...

And my guess is, since a lot of japanese publisher pretty much stopped supporting the 360 in japan, japan-only niche games will remain unplayable (I'm thinking EX Troppers(capcom new "anime" Lost Planet, Robot Taisen, games takiang forever to come out like Tales of etc), anime related games etc) (let's hope they don't start region locking it like Persona4UMA)

Yeah, I guess I should just update if I feel there's no solution for my problem and since the homebrew scene on PS3 isn't that great(it's a shame really), I'm still using the region free PS1 emulator (picked up an old save of Valkyrie Profile^^) and region free blurays.

MMaRsu

Banned
don't worry there's always obscure stuff you can't play until some works on it like those Bluray Hybrid pack (Macross, .Hack, Eureka7AO, TekkenTT1 etc) you can't even watch the movie part if your ps3 isn't in the right fw...

And my guess is, since a lot of japanese publisher pretty much stopped supporting the 360 in japan, japan-only niche games will remain unplayable (I'm thinking EX Troppers(capcom new "anime" Lost Planet, Robot Taisen, games takiang forever to come out like Tales of etc), anime related games etc) (let's hope they don't start region locking it like Persona4UMA)

Yeah, I guess I should just update if I feel there's no solution for my problem and since the homebrew scene on PS3 isn't that great(it's a shame really), I'm still using the region free PS1 emulator (picked up an old save of Valkyrie Profile^^) and region free blurays.

You can play TT1

N.A

Banned
SSX.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM
2012-08-28 07:38:45 PS3 Saint.Seiya.Sanctuary.Battle.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM
2012-08-28 07:34:49 PS3 Rune.Factory.Tides.of.Destiny.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 3.2MB | 1F
2012-08-28 07:26:14 PS3 Mass.Effect.3.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 11.5MB | 1F
2012-08-28 07:17:51 PS3 Hyperdimension.Neptunia.mk2.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 3.0MB | 1F
2012-08-28 07:08:45 PS3 Blades.of.Time.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM

All just released.

Hmm wiki is not working, can you fix it? Thanks!

The wiki was down for 36 hours as my host screwed up (don't use speedysparrow). I've moved to a new host now.

N.A

Banned
Showtime 4.0 released:

New UI design
Self upgrade of both Showtime itself (only on PS3) and all plugins (all platforms)
Automatically load metadata from themoviedb.org
Improved support for subtitles (in particular external ASS/SSA files and vobsub files)
Support for on screen keyboard on PS3
Buttons on PS3 dual shock controller have changed their meaning a bit: See PS3 usage guide for details
Each focusable item have a dedicated popup menu (Use □ button on dual shock controller for this)
File browsing will sort folders first and then files. Sorting can be adjusted in the per page menu (△ on dual shock controller)
Lots of bug fixes
... + more stuff I've forgotten

Download: https://www.lonelycoder.com/showtime/download

There's still no way to go back from the latest firmware? I have a spare PS3 these days and I'd love to put custom firmware on one.

I regret not installing the CFW back when it was possible for me. What are the chances of newer PS3 getting hacked so they can run homebrew ? Also, if the rumors are true about the PS4 using an off-the-shelf CPU and GPU, does this mean that it will be easier to hack it ? I don't know anything about hacking, but is the reason the PS3 was and is so hard to hack because of hardware or software protection ?

Haven't followed the ps3 scene in a while. Did they ever get round to porting xbmx (more specifically navi-x plugin)
facanferff's Navi-X plugin is available for Showtime.

I regret not installing the CFW back when it was possible for me. What are the chances of newer PS3 getting hacked so they can run homebrew ?
If you run CFW you give up PSN access on that PS3, so you need to bear that in mind. In terms of newer machines you can downgrade certain PS3 models in conjunction with hardware mods (i.e. soldering chips to the motherboard, with a risk of bricking your console). The latest 3000X PS3's can't currently be downgraded AFAIK. For more info on that stuff you can have a look here:
http://www.e3-tech.net/

N.A

Banned
More fixes:

2012-08-31 14:50:01 PS3 Metal.Gear.Solid.HD.Collection.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 51.0MB | 1F
2012-08-31 14:44:35 PS3 Metal.Gear.Solid.HD.Collection.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM
2012-08-31 14:13:27 PS3 Just.Dance.3.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM
2012-08-31 13:55:34 PS3 Jak.and.Daxter.Collection.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 9.8MB | 1F
2012-08-31 10:37:49 PS3 DreamWorks.Super.Star.Kartz.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 3.0MB | 1F
2012-08-31 10:01:58 PS3 Child.of.Eden.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 7.0MB | 1F
2012-08-31 09:44:38 PS3 Carnival.Island.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM

Dalthien

Pretty cool news...

DEX Game Mounter released. No more 4 game limit on your PS3 hard drive for DEX. Now you can just mount games on your PC and play via LAN.

^that sounds really good! (playing of the network, especially since the PS3 is Gigabit)

I'm curious to see what sony will come up with to "block" the whole CEX2DEX thing...

Dalthien>can you confirm that in DEX you still have bluray/dvd video capability ? what about ps1 discs through multiman? it's possible to downgrade to any DEX fw?(then back to 3.55CEX?)

N.A

Banned
More fixes:

2012-09-02 10:19:43 PS3 YAKUZA.Dead.Souls.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 16.0MB | 1F
2012-09-02 09:32:07 PS3 Touch.Shot.Love.Application.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM
2012-09-02 07:58:53 PS3 The.Idol.Master.2.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM
2012-09-02 07:57:48 PS3 The.Cursed.Crusade.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 7.8MB | 1F
2012-09-02 07:57:26 PS3 STREET.FIGHTER.X.TEKKEN.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM
2012-09-02 07:53:38 PS3 Tales.of.Graces.f.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 3.0MB | 1F
2012-09-02 07:47:45 PS3 Order.Up.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 1.4MB | 1F
2012-09-02 07:39:12 PS3 Janes.Advanced.Strike.Fighters.EBOOT.PATCH.102.USA.PS3-N0DRM 6.0MB | 1F
2012-09-02 07:35:28 PS3 FINAL.FANTASY.XIII2.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM 8.0MB | 1F
2012-09-02 07:35:01 PS3 Disgaea.4.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 1.9MB | 1F
2012-09-02 04:57:48 PS3 FINAL.FANTASY.XIII2.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 8.4MB | 1F
2012-09-02 04:27:51 PS3 The.Adventures.of.Tintin.The.Secret.of.the.Unicorn.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 10.2MB | 1F
2012-09-02 04:09:50 PS3 The.Elder.Scrolls.V.Skyrim.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 9.9MB | 1F
2012-09-02 03:59:29 PS3 UNDER.DEFEAT.HD.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM 1.3MB | 1F
2012-09-02 03:51:06 PS3 WARRIORS.OROCHI.3.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 4.7MB | 1F
2012-09-01 13:58:13 PS3 Start.The.Party.Save.the.World.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM
2012-09-01 13:36:00 PS3 Nurarihyon.Mago.Hyakki.Ryouran.Taisen.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM
2012-09-01 13:06:00 PS3 Mugen.Souls.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM
2012-09-01 12:32:51 PS3 Dragon.Ball.Z.Ultimate.Tenkaichi.EBOOT.PATCH.100.USA.PS3-N0DRM 3.2MB | 1F
2012-09-01 12:24:12 PS3 MUD.FIM.Motocross.World.Championship.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 9.8MB | 1F
2012-09-01 12:02:53 PS3 Legasista.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM
2012-09-01 11:47:00 PS3 Monkey.Island.Special.Edition.Collection.EBOOT.PATCH.100.EUR.PS3-N0DRM 4.6MB | 1F
2012-09-01 11:21:59 PS3 Saint.Seiya.Senki.EBOOT.PATCH.100.JPN.PS3-N0DRM

Dalthien

Dalthien>can you confirm that in DEX you still have bluray/dvd video capability ? what about ps1 discs through multiman? it's possible to downgrade to any DEX fw?(then back to 3.55CEX?)

Yeah, as far as I know, you still lose bluray/dvd playback when using DEX.

And yeah, downgrading back to a 3.55CEX cfw is pretty easy.

The whole CEX2DEX thing was a cool and important step in the PS3 scene, but switching it to DEX in the first place, along with the repartitioning of the hard drive was just too much of a hassle to bother with. Now there's no more need to worry about the hard drive, and with Showtime up and running on DEX, it's worth taking another look at making the switch.

Hey guys, does a cfw PS3 have region free Bluray playback? I want to get some Region A blurays wich are very expensive in Europe (region b), I wondered if I can play them on my cfw European PS3?

I have used a Cfw 3.55 phat PS3 to watch my blurays on in the bedroom.

However, recently, I think I must have watched a bluray on it that blacklisted cfw 3.55 or something, because now every time I try and watch a bluray, even old ones that worked previously, I get a message telling me that my authentication keys are out of date and I need to perform a system update.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a workaround?

So according to ps3hax all True Blue eboots have been cracked for 3.55. Does this mean there will be no more game fixes? Did the group releasing these only manage to crack True Blue and not the actual keys?

Jal

I think they just cracked the DRM of the TB fixes.

Something that PropJOE posted though

Yeah, NODRM will screw up everything with this now. They shouldnt have gone out with update patches yet. That was the agreement. Only patches. Shame you cant trust anyone these days. Too much trigger happy. Thats all I can say for now.

Not sure if that's anything significant.

Top Bottom