• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Firmware 2.50 (Yukimura) coming March 26

gelf

People saying suspend is great for Bloodborne. You do realise that every Souls game essentially saves in this fashion already right? Quit the game and you would always restart where you stood.

Oppo

This feature makes up a bit for the friend notifications thing for me, if it works well:

Join Friends directly from news feed – A new tile will be added on your What’s New feed where you can see what your friends are currently playing, enabling you to join in the game if you own it.

I mean, that's pretty much what you want. Hop on, see what's up. They ought to do regular notifications as well of course (that I would personally turn off, but it should be there).

People saying suspend is great for Bloodborne. You do realise that every Souls game essentially saves in this fashion already right? Quit the game and you would always restart where you stood.

That's just... saving. Resuming from suspend is like instant boot.

Yeah, but imagine that without having to go through splash screens and menus.

DryvBy

Im gonna assume games like Destiny and FF14 that the servers will kick you for inactivity so space won't be waisted for others to join. Im sure 95% of normal games will work fine.

Basically, yeah. Online kicks you from the servers. You'll still be in the game but just sitting at a disconnect screen.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Do you have kids? If not, I can see why you don't see as much value in this feature.

because I have kids, this feature isn't that useful to me. I have no way to know whether my son wants to play FIFA in between whatever I'm playing, so I can't safely suspend anything.

Looking forward to 60fps remote play though - assuming that comes to PSTV as well as Vita tomorrow?

noomi

I installed the same drive. Takes some work to remove the drive from its enclosure, but the drive is great and you can pop the 500GB in to the enclosure for a free external HDD. :)

Looks a little difficult, but shouldn't be too bad. Here's the video I will be following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqJm7la6JKI

Hmmm... I thought it wouldn't work for Bloodborne since you need to "log in" kind of like destiny I suppose?

Find friends who play your games – Easily view what friends are playing on each game detail page with a real-time “Friends Who Play This” section, which also highlights which friends are currently online and playing it, and allows you to jump directly into the game.
Ok, this sounds pretty neat!

I hope the web browser is improved. Watching Plex on it gives me a memory error after awhile. Never had that problem watching on a Wii U.

Oppo

because I have kids, this feature isn't that useful to me. I have no way to know whether my son wants to play FIFA in between whatever I'm playing, so I can't safely suspend anything

that is a very weird way of looking at it

surely one is better than none

Amused

I will not beta-test this during bloodborne week.

Very thankfull to the ones who do though.

Oh, and great to see them deliver on this! :)

LAA

"And more" probably doesn't include friend notifications or show as offline so I'm not as excited as most.

Possible there may be a nice surprise though I guess. I think last time it wasnt mentioned about the sorta "contextual notification" where when a trophy pops up for instance you can press the PS button and it'll tell you about the trophy instantly. Which I thought was a pretty awesome gesture for me really, definitely missed that from the 360 days

gelf

That's just... saving. Resuming from suspend is like instant boot.

Sure its more snappy, it just seems odd to pick out this game though as it does everything else you get from suspend/resume. Its more appealing a feature to me for games with spaced out checkpoints whereas Souls games save progress constantly and let me quit whenever.

Online features might mean it doesn't work in Bloodborne anyway.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
that is a very weird way of looking at it

surely one is better than none

As long as it handles shutting down of suspended apps neatly when you're switching users, then it should be ok. Just not a big value add for me personally.

What happens if user 1 is logged in, suspends a game and goes to rest mode, then user two turns the PS4 on? Will it go to the user login page, or instantly back to user 1's dashboard? If it does that, then it'll probably get disabled on my PS4

Oni Jazar

Interesting stuff in the changelog:

Automatic installation for system software updates: Enable automatic installation for future system software updates.

Verified Accounts: Select game developers, producers, designers and community managers will be verified with a badge.

Swarming101

So one feature that was rumoured was automatic, background trophy syncing - but it's not mentioned in the blog posts. Can anyone confirm if that's part of the update or not?

gruenel

Well, allowing software from external drives is a huge security risk (read: piracy) due to the fact that the USB protocol is a huge security mess.

Not really. Sony encrypts the whole drive anyway. There'd be no difference in security between internal and external.

Derpyduck

Banned
Sorry if it's already been asked, but with suspend-resume, how does it work with online games like Bloodborne? Does it log you back into servers when it resumes?

bombshell

So one feature that was rumoured was automatic, background trophy syncing - but it's not mentioned in the blog posts. Can anyone confirm if that's part of the update or not?

I don't think it was ever in. It was thuway that started that rumor on twitter, but he probably went into the trophy menu without having earned new trophies and thought the lack of sync process meant automatic syncing.

noomi

Sorry if it's already been asked, but with suspend-resume, how does it work with online games like Bloodborne? Does it log you back into servers when it resumes?

This is what I'm curious about as well.... I would imagine so. Is there any kind of indicator in-game that shows you whether you are connected online or not?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
sorry but deleting 0% games beats anything else in this patch lol

As an Xbox One owner, I can say this feature is awesome. Glad the PS4 folk are finally getting it.

As an Xbox One owner, I can say this feature is awesome when it works. It's still too unpredictable, I hope MS sorts that out one day. Seemed to hold my session better with Sunset Overdrive, never did with Forza Horizon 2

Derpyduck

Banned
As an Xbox One owner, I can say this feature is awesome when it works. It's still too unpredictable, I hope MS sorts that out one day. Seemed to hold my session better with Sunset Overdrive, never did with Forza Horizon 2

Agreed with this. The feature fails far too often on Xbox One. I couldn't tell if it was the feature that was failing or just the fact that the OS is kinda shitty. More than Suspend-Resume causes the Xbox One to require a full reboot to fix.

Top Bottom