• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"PS4 is better than PS3, Last gen was the worst!"

brap

Banned
This is the first generation where vision hasn't outpaced technology. We're at a point going forward that creativity in games will only be limited by how well people can tell the machines what to do and what to show us.

Now, I do have to admit that I have played more bad games on the PS4 than I did on the PS3, there's no denying that. But the best games I've played on the PS4 have been far and away the best games I've ever played.
And games are more samey than ever.

Ok

Ok for a launch title

Shit. Co-op was fun for like 2 matches.

Nobody played this.

Shit.

Shit.

Is this a joke?

Shit.

Good.

Ok.

Good.

Good.

Shit.

Good.

Nobody played this.

Shit.

Shit. So is LBP3.

[jazz intensifies]

Good.

Good.

Shit.

Ok.

Shit.

Good.

Shit.

Nobody played this.

Ok.

Who gives a shit.

Shit.

lol

Shit, despite a nice art style.

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

Good.

Ok.

Is this even a real game?
How bad can a opinion be..

BlueLyria

I still don’t get the hype about that game. I mean, it’s good, yes. But not THAT good. Nothing special. Not really that different compared to dark souls.
Don’t overhype that game.
The combat speed and lack of shield coupled with the setting does make a really unique exprience compared to other souls games, It's one of the best games in the ps4 library and sincerely it's not that overhyped.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
PS3 easily for me. The most notable PS4 games for me are honestly remakes of past gen games, the Crash N Sane Trilogy and Nathan Drake Collection. Uncharted 4, Abzu, and Prey are really the only ones that stood out to me otherwise, and only Uncharted 4 is a PS4 exclusive.
PS3 has the entire Mass Effect trilogy, 1/2 being some of my favorite games ever, and HD collections of some of my favorite PS2 games--the Jak/Daxter Collection, Sly Collection, and Ratchet/Clank Collection. I'll also give it credit for originally making the Uncharted games, even though PS4 is the more enjoyable way to play them due to the increased FPS. Infamous 2 is pretty good also, and Demon's Souls isn't bad.
PS3 also has a great virtual console library. I can play pretty much every PS1 game I want through the PS Store. PS4 just doesn't have anything close to this.
So I guess exclusive wise neither of them are huge for me, but overall PS4 is ok, PS3 is better.

Last edited by a moderator:

meirl

Banned
The combat speed and lack of shield coupled with the setting does make a really unique exprience compared to other souls games, It's one of the best games in the ps4 library and sincerely it's not that overhyped.

Meh. So other combat system. Still, it’s not a completely new experience. If this game was also on other platforms and not just on PS4 it would NEVER get that hype.
Seriously. So sick of this.
Like uncharted 4. yes, graphics are good but the game itself is utter shit. Still, during its release it was hyped af. Lol

BlueLyria

Meh. So other combat system. Still, it’s not a completely new experience. If this game was also on other platforms and not just on PS4 it would NEVER get that hype.
Seriously. So sick of this.
Like uncharted 4. yes, graphics are good but the game itself is utter shit. Still, during its release it was hyped af. Lol
Maybe it would be in the same position Sekiro is right now, although i do agree with you, Uncharted 4 was super hyped and quickly forgotten, but i believe that has to do with the change of direction that happened mid development during Uncharted 3 (The weakest one imo). As for the "completely new experience", yeah, but not every game needs to reinvent the wheel, just be competent at what they do.

Three

PS3

3D Dot game heroes
Resistance FoM
Resistance 2
Resistance 3
Ratchet ToD
Ratchet Qfb
Ratchet ACIT
Ratchet itn
Ratchet A40
Ratchet FFA
Infamous 1
Infamous 2
Twisted Metal
Uncharted 1
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 3
TLOU
God of war 3
God of war ascension
Warhawk
Starhawk
Socom
Socom navy seal
LBP1
LBP2
LBP Karting
Modnation karting
GT5
GT6
Demon's Souls
Heavenly Sword
Katamari Forever
Motorstorm
Motorstorm apocalypse
Motorstorm pacific rift
PSASBR
Puppeteer
Siren Blood curse
Sly cooper thieves in time
White Knight chronicles
White knight chronicles 2
Untold legends Dark Kingdom
FolkLore
Ridge Racer 7
MAG
Lair
Haze
Genji days of blade
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
LocoRoco Cocorecho

PS4
God of war
TLOU2
Infamous SS
Killzone SF
HZD
the order 1886
Gravity Rush 2
The Last guardian
Uncharted 4
Days Gone
Spiderman
Kojima weird stuff
Knack
Knack 2
GTS
Until dawn
Ratchet and clank
Driveclub
Bloodborne
Ghost of tsushima
What is up with your crap lists that always miss PS4 games? Where is Dreams, where is resogun where is alienation? Your sony bashing threads without facts are getting tiresome.

I agree, OP. Which is one of the reasons I'm still hanging onto the PS3 and have been on the fence through this generation about buying a console. Looking at this generation from a PS3 owner's perspective, I honestly can't fathom how people justify buying any of the current gen consoles. The libraries overall have been hilariously small and lackluster. I almost think the AAA industry suckered people into buying one.

What's more is that Shawn Layden seems to insinuate that Sony's next gen offerings will be even smaller: http://archive.is/sncrd

I can understand to a degree why people tend to claim the PS3/360 generation to be "the worst" since it introduced the ridiculous microtransaction gravy train by publishers. But, other than that, its like willingly overlooking the good things that came out of it.

Bloodborne alone is better than the entirety of the PS3 list.

This is the best generation in my 30 years of gaming... easily
(...)
God of War and Bloodborne utterly decimate the entire generation of PS3 exclusives

I can't tell if this suppose to be a joke or not.

Boss Mog

The quality of PS4 exclusives is WAY higher than that of PS3 exclusives. I prefer quality over quantity.

As for third party multiplatform games, I would say they were probably better last gen. There was a lot more innovation, new IPs, trying new concepts and most of it worked. This gen seems to be more about about playing it safe and upping the graphics.

brap

Banned
Nope, nothing was more samey than 2009 to 2012 where so many games were trying to be like Call of Duty, aiming down iron sights type games.
Things really aren't much different and now we have even less to choose from. At least back then I could play a bunch of AA games like Singularity or Inversion. Now it's either play horizon, days gone, tlou, ubisoft games or get lost because everything takes forever to make.

Reactions: Isa
Things really aren't much different and now we have even less to choose from. At least back then I could play a bunch of AA games like Singularity or Inversion. Now it's either play horizon, days gone, tlou, ubisoft games or get lost because everything takes forever to make.

No offense, but you have to keep in mind that gaming has always been an ebb and flow, there's always been good games and bad games, innovative games and cookie cutter wannabes.

Nostalgia makes people think the past was better than it was the present is worse than it really is.

I'm guilty of that too, I look back on the 6th gen for example as a golden age, but I forget all the GTA clones and wannabees like True Crime: Streets of LA or NARC and all the shitty movie tie in games, so even when games were hitting creative highs like Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3 and Rule of Rose, there was still a lot of crap.

(...)
At least back then I could play a bunch of AA games like Singularity or Inversion. Now it's either play horizon, days gone, tlou, ubisoft games or get lost because everything takes forever to make.

This is the saddest part of it all. I genuinely miss the mid-size/AA studios. At least they tried to experiment and attempted different things. AAA games are so stagnant its sad.

Last edited:
-shitty online quality

Don't even get me started with PS3 online quality. I once had a beta code for Medal of Honor (2011). It took me 3 hours to download the game itself then another 2 hours just to download and install the patch. When I got the 360 version of the beta. It took me 20 minutes in total to download and play. I had decent internet at the time when living with my parents.

-MD-

This is the best generation in my 30 years of gaming... easily

God no, it's not even top 3.

PS4
God of war
TLOU2
Infamous SS
Killzone SF
HZD
the order 1886
Gravity Rush 2
The Last guardian
Uncharted 4
Days Gone
Spiderman
Kojima weird stuff
Knack
Knack 2
GTS
Until dawn
Ratchet and clank
Driveclub
Bloodborne
Ghost of tsushima

Is this really the whole PS4 list? It's pathetic when typed out like this lmao.

The only games I'd even recommend to someone are Gravity Rush and Bloodborne. I'd erase the rest of the list from history forever just for a port of Twisted Metal 2012 on PS4.

Last edited:

brap

Banned
No offense, but you have to keep in mind that gaming has always been an ebb and flow, there's always been good games and bad games, innovative games and cookie cutter wannabes.

Nostalgia makes people think the past was better than it was the present is worse than it really is.

I'm guilty of that too, I look back on the 6th gen for example as a golden age, but I forget all the GTA clones and wannabees like True Crime: Streets of LA or NARC and all the shitty movie tie in games, so even when games were hitting creative highs like Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 3 and Rule of Rose, there was still a lot of crap.
You could ignore 25 Ta Life and 187 Ride Or Die and go play a million other games. Even a lot of the licensed games during that era were fun. And what's so special about SH and Rule of Rose? There were probably like 30 survival horror games alone on PS2. Probably more than the GTA clones. What I'm trying to say is if you don't wanna play Thug Lyfe II: Ride Fa A Nigga you had a ton of variety. Now it's all 'uhhh I guess I'll play 428 or Yakuza because I'm not interested in third person cinematic emotional survival crafting experience'. Even Nintendo made one of those goddamn games.
latest

You could ignore 25 Ta Life and 187 Ride Or Die and go play a million other games. Even a lot of the licensed games during that era were fun. And what's so special about SH and Rule of Rose? There were probably like 30 survival horror games alone on PS2. Probably more than the GTA clones. What I'm trying to say is if you don't wanna play Thug Lyfe II: Ride Fa A Nigga you had a ton of variety. Now it's all 'uhhh I guess I'll play 428 or Yakuza because I'm not interested in third person cinematic emotional survival crafting experience'. Even Nintendo made one of those goddamn games.
latest

6th gen horror games are my jam.

Not sure what you're trying to prove with that pic, because the fact that were so many of those type of games on PS2 is one of the things I miss about that gen.

God no, it's not even top 3.

Is this really the whole PS4 list? It's pathetic when typed out like this lmao.

The only games I'd even recommend to someone are Gravity Rush and Bloodborne. I'd erase the rest of the list from history forever just for a port of Twisted Metal 2012 on PS4.

Console gaming no longer needs volume exclusive variety. You make money from 3rd party mtx and ps+.

Oh. And btw. This includes the future PS4 games lol

Last edited:

brap

Banned
RE4 & RE Outbreak aren't only in the same genre, they're in the same franchise yet have gameplay so massively different from one another they're uncomparable...
I didn't make the image. I wouldn't put Darkwatch on there either. The point is that there were a ton of survival horror games on PS2 just like CoD clones on PS3 and third person cinematic bs on PS4.

"Genre" is a pretty broad category.

Games can be in the same genre and still feel pretty unique from one another, especially when it's something as general as "horror"
Survival Horror. But I guess Horror is such a broad genre and a shooting game isn't. Bioshock is totally the same as CoD which is totally the same as Crysis.

I don't know, but I've been playing since the master system, and I feel this I the worst generation ever.

It's a head scratcher to me how someone could not prefer today to 2009-2012.

2009-2012 was the absolute bottom of the barrel for gaming, not that there weren't still standout games from then, but I think of crap like Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Ninja Gaiden 3 and so many other games chasing after the Call of Duty audience.

The last several years have marked a pretty clearly improvement from then if you ask me.

I didn't make the image. I wouldn't put Darkwatch on there either. The point is that there were a ton of survival horror games on PS2 just like CoD clones on PS3 and third person cinematic bs on PS4.

Survival Horror. But I guess Horror is such a broad genre and a shooting game isn't. Bioshock is totally the same as CoD which is totally the same as Crysis.

We're getting a little mixed up here, I'm not talking about genres, genres are very broad categories, I'm talking about more specific styles of games than just genres.

For example you have FPS, but then you have games clearly modeled after CoD, it's games clearly trying to imitate another specific game.

And yeah, survival horror was it's own genre with it's own tropes, sure, but it was still one that fostered a lot of creativity, you can't see the differences between say REmake, the Fatal Frame series, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Siren, Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose?

brap

Banned
We're getting a little mixed up here, I'm not talking about genres, genres are very broad categories, I'm talking about more specific styles of games than just genres.

For example you have FPS, but then you have games clearly modeled after CoD, it's games clearly trying to imitate another specific game.
Ok yeah. Can't really argue with that. I remember most of that military stuff being PC only but idk. I don't have a good memory.

And yeah, survival horror was it's own genre with it's own tropes, sure, but it was still one that fostered a lot of creativity, you can't see the differences between say REmake, the Fatal Frame series, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Siren, Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose?
Fuck REmake for this discussion because it's a literal remake. Fatal Frame is camera shit, SH is running away shit, Siren is honestly a clusterfuck, Haunting Ground is running away and hiding shit, ROR is one of the most annoying games ever and doesn't really seem that different other than the fact it's populated by annoying ass children. This is honestly like me trying to explain emo music to some normie. 'b-but he screams like a girl, b-but this band has 2 singers, b-but this band uses guitar solos, b-but this band has breakdowns'. It's still third person horror themed games where you run away scared from things. Honestly idk if this makes any sense I'm tired. Like yeah they're a little different but not that different.

Geki-D

Banned

2009-2012 was the absolute bottom of the barrel for gaming, not that there weren't still standout games from then, but I think of crap like Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 6, Ninja Gaiden 3 and so many other games chasing after the Call of Duty audience.

The last several years have marked a pretty clearly improvement from then if you ask me.
2942019_6.jpg

Ok yeah. Can't really argue with that. I remember most of that military stuff being PC only but idk. I don't have a good memory.

Fuck REmake for this discussion because it's a literal remake. Fatal Frame is camera shit, SH is running away shit, Siren is honestly a clusterfuck, Haunting Ground is running away and hiding shit, ROR is one of the most annoying games ever and doesn't really seem that different other than the fact it's populated by annoying ass children. This is honestly like me trying to explain emo music to some normie. 'b-but he screams like a girl, b-but this band has 2 singers, b-but this band uses guitar solos, b-but this band has breakdowns'. It's still third person horror themed games where you run away scared from things. Honestly idk if this makes any sense I'm tired. Like yeah they're a little different but not that different.

They're all very different in terms of style, tone and story.

I mean damn, Rule of Rose has one of the most unique atmospheres and tones of any game I've played and Silent Hill 2 is I think gaming's crowing artistic achievement.

But I understand, you're one of those gamers more focused on the actual gameplay, that's fine, for me personally I look at games from a more artistic perspective, I judge it by the overall experience than just "is it fun to play?"

I mean I love fun as much as the next guy, but let's compare it to movies, a movie like The Deer Hunter is not something you'd watch for "fun", still doesn't change the fact that it's an incredible achievement, gaming needs that equivalent to art house movies as well.

xviper

I can't think of anything that this gen does better then the ones before except maybe better technology

This gen is easily the worst, we are living in the dark age of gaming

-no creativity or new ideas, just repetitive games
-broken games
-F2P
-Battle royale
-games take too long to be released
-most games are open world with fetch quests
-most games release unfinished
-Too much remasters and remakes (very few were good like RE2 and Halo MCC)
-no more demos
-big arcade games used to be 10-15$ max on the ps3\x360 but now they are 30-40$
-Lack of good online multiplayer games
-Most online games have microtransactions
-Most online games don't get sequels, they get shitty expansions that makes you bored with it
-Xbox is dead thanks to microsoft and their "pLay EvEryWhEre"

And there is still much more to be mentioned, sometimes the gamers are the ones that ruin a game, not the devs, for an example, Friday the 13th, this games was fucking amazing, it was new, unique and insanely fun, it's one of the most fun online games ever made, but what did the "fans" do ? complain to the devs about every little thing until the devs ruined the game with patches and made it boring.

Another example is the new Avengers game, MCU fans (thank god i'm not one of them) are complaining about the game because the characters don't look like the actors, like What the fuck ? who gives a shit ? instead of focusing on things that makes the game better like i don't know, maybe the damn gameplay ? they focused on the most basic shit, same thing happened with BFV and their "HiStoRicalLy UnAccUraTe".

This gen was doomed from the beginning, i hope things change next gen (i doubt it)

I can't think of anything that this gen does better then the ones before except maybe better technology

This gen is easily the worst, we are living in the dark age of gaming

-no creativity or new ideas, just repetitive games
-broken games
-F2P
-Battle royale
-games take too long to be released
-most games are open world with fetch quests
-most games release unfinished
-Too much remasters and remakes (very few were good like RE2 and Halo MCC)
-no more demos
-big arcade games used to be 10-15$ max on the ps3\x360 but now they are 30-40$
-Lack of good online multiplayer games
-Most online games have microtransactions
-Most online games don't get sequels, they get shitty expansions that makes you bored with it
-Xbox is dead thanks to microsoft and their "pLay EvEryWhEre"

And there is still much more to be mentioned, sometimes the gamers are the ones that ruin a game, not the devs, for an example, Friday the 13th, this games was fucking amazing, it was new, unique and insanely fun, it's one of the most fun online games ever made, but what did the "fans" do ? complain to the devs about every little thing until the devs ruined the game with patches and made it boring.

Another example is the new Avengers game, MCU fans (thank god i'm not one of them) are complaining about the game because the characters don't look like the actors, like What the fuck ? who gives a shit ? instead of focusing on things that makes the game better like i don't know, maybe the damn gameplay ? they focused on the most basic shit, same thing happened with BFV and their "HiStoRicalLy UnAccUraTe".

This gen was doomed from the beginning, i hope things change next gen (i doubt it)

Again, 2009 to 2012 was way worse.

Idk that period had the holy trinity of Uncharted 2, AC2 and ME2 so it wasn't too bad.

No, it wasn't too bad, as I said there were plenty of standout games (I would include Batman: Arkham Asylum/Arkham City, Alan Wake and Fallout New Vegas among them)

It's just if I had to pick a time as lamest in gaming that I've lived through, it would be that.

Although don't get me wrong, I don't hate it that much, it wasn't that it was that bad, it's just that I wouldn't consider that period anything special.

But that's my general point is that basically gaming has remained in a constant state, there's good games and bad games, in any era, it always boils down to good and bad game being released, there's not a single time period, including present day, in which you can say there's literally nothing but bad games being released.

People are letting nostalgia blind them to reality if they think present day is any sort of "dark ages" for gaming, Zelda: Breath of The Wild is as good a game as anything I've ever played.

Esppiral

Last generation started in 2005 though and we got so many new franchises something you can quite say this gen

This generation is 90% secuels , reboots and remaster and we got gems like andromeda, fallout and so on...

Last edited:

ROMhack

I'm of the opinion that the quality of titles this gen was better but that last gen was more interesting to be part of.

For instance, indie games were a new thing last gen and were genuinely exciting to get behind. They're much better this gen but I'm so used to quality indie games now that I no longer feel the same excitement to get behind them. Then you have stuff like Heavy Rain, which at the time seemed phenomenally different (obviously ignoring Fahrenheit).

Last edited:
Top Bottom