• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's noise level measured by German IT magazine

I was hoping for a 1-10 chart of loud funny German things.
With the Ps4 coming inbetween a man opening a jar of pickles, and a man juggling beer bottles.
Instead you give me math.... Math is the exact opposite of funny ):

gruenel

What about the disc spinning noise during gameplay or blu-ray playback ?
This is what worries me. (6x instead of 2x)

Discs will probably only spin at 1x during Blu-ray playback, and games are installed to the HDD automatically so it'll probably spin for 10-15 minutes before it completely stops.

big_z

Finally some real numbers. Now I want to know how this compares to the Xb1

Xbox 360 slim is 24db
Xbone is claimed to be lower than that even when gaming.

Ps4 is 37db. Anyone that builds quiet pcs knows this is Far from mouse quiet. maybe in an office environment which has higher ambient noise but you'll hear it for sure. from these readings the ps4 is closer to the fat Xbox 360.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I was hoping for a 1-10 chart of loud funny German things.

quTAEvn.jpg

jiggles

Banned
Discs will probably only spin at 1x during Blu-ray playback, and games are installed to the HDD automatically so it'll probably spin for 10-15 minutes before it completely stops.

1.5x is needed for Bluray playback. The initial PS3 spec was for a 1x drive, but when the movie requirement was revealed, they had to upgrade it to a 2x drive to support them. The change from CLV to CAV though, should mean more stepping, so you're probably going to notice it "switch gears" more.

Morzak

1.5x is needed for Bluray playback. The initial PS3 spec was for a 1x drive, but when the movie requirement was revealed, they had to upgrade it to a 2x drive to support them. The change from CLV to CAV though, should mean more stepping, so you're probably going to notice it "switch gears" more.

Seriously the Blue Ray drive in my PS3 slim drives me nuts, it has a Sound that is loud and I didn't hear since floppy disks went out of style.

GorillaJu

You know you can clean these things, right?

Oh you can? What a startling realization. Thanks ever so much for enlightening us.

You should tell that to the guys doing this comparison as well, make sure they know that you can clean these things, too. Because my concern was that the PS3 they're using to compare it to might be dusty inside while the PS4 is brand new.

Xbox 360 slim is 24db

Ps4 is 37db. Anyone that builds quiet pcs knows this is Far from mouse quiet. maybe in an office environment which has higher ambient noise but you'll hear it for sure. from these readings the ps4 is closer to the fat Xbox 360.

How are you getting this number?

A quick google says that even though you can't straight up convert sones to db, 0.9 is in the realm of 28.2 db and 0.8 is about 27.2. How you get to 37db is beyond me.

Edit: 2.1 is close to 37db, but that's PS3. Maybe that's how you got confused?

gruenel

Oh you can? What a startling realization. Thanks ever so much for enlightening us.

You should tell that to the guys doing this comparison as well, make sure they know that you can clean these things, too. Because my concern was that the PS3 they're using to compare it to might be dusty inside while the PS4 is brand new.

Yeah it was more of a suggestion to clean your CPU cooler if it sounds like a jet engine.

DBT85

Xbox 360 slim is 24db

Remember what your maths teacher said. Always show your work.

That's actually the noise level that I care about. During games, everything is drowned out by the game's sound.

That depends on the game. A worst-case scenario test would be playing a game that puts heavy load on the PS4 and has very little music.

R3TRODYCE

I never appreciated quiet consoles until I bought an Alienware x51. I made the mistake of putting in a Gtx 670 oc and that thing and the standard heat sink that was already in it literally sounded like a car engine, now minor noises bother me.

Seriously the Blue Ray drive in my PS3 slim drives me nuts, it has a Sound that is loud and I didn't hear since floppy disks went out of style.

Glad I'm not the only one. Playing Beyond atm and the amount of disc access noise it makes is mad, seems to be streaming even more than TLOU.

Glad I'm not the only one. Playing Beyond atm and the amount of disc access noise it makes is mad, seems to be streaming even more than TLOU.
Yeah Beyond is streaming like crazy. I mean it looks insanely good too. Remember the CIA chapter? The amount of fast area switches probably puts the drive to its absolute limits lol
Fortunately it's not that bad on my phat. Seems way worse with the slim.

keuja

Xbox 360 slim is 24db

Source?

Fairly pointless test if they're just measuring from menu mode.

Since its about 2.5x quieter than PS3 doing nothing, it should be expected to be much quieter playing games too.

Not true. The PS3 used nearly as much power "doing nothing" as it did even during the most intensive games. The new consoles are lightyears ahead in power management. The fact that the PS4 hasn't gotten any louder in an hour of idling is proof of that.

Xbox 360 slim is 24db

How are you getting this number?

A quick google says that even though you can't straight up convert sones to db, 0.9 is in the realm of 28.2 db and 0.8 is about 27.2. How you get to 37db is beyond me.

Edit: 2.1 is close to 37db, but that's PS3. Maybe that's how you got confused?

4794234+_b72ee8f86f3d6b7fa32617032993f84e.gif

FLEABttn

Banned
The change from CLV to CAV though, should mean more stepping, so you're probably going to notice it "switch gears" more.

Less stepping? CAV means the angular velocity is constant, like a record player. There would be no "gears" "switching" if the optical drive is CAV.

Really impressed with Sony's attitude towards building this console, from it's external design to its internals.

I also like the fact that Sony haven't gone OTT on the ports etc and then taken them away later. They've just done that with the launch line up ;)

I was going to say that this test is pointless, but then again if these new consoles want to be more than consoles their idle footprint needs to be small too.

Also, it just struck me that (possibly) the reason the PS4 is designed at a slant is that no matter how close you put it to a wall, you'll never fully block the vents.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Sone-y?

Actually, regarding the test with the PS3, did they happen to use a brand new one? Because I feel it would be an unfair comparison if you're testing out how loud it is compared to a "fresh out of the box" PS4.

Hmmm, then if 1.0 sone is 40 dB, then 0.83 sone = 0.83 * 40 = 33,2 dB

Noise references that I can find for past consoles have been:

Launch PS3: 70dB

Slim PS3 (rev1): 60dB

Also. let's not forget that having 10 dBs less is usually perceived to be "half as loud"

If someone has more accurate (or recent) noise references, let me know

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
My PS3 is loud as fuck as soon as the fan starts spinning, so annoying. I hope this is really resolved with PS4.

erawsd

I'm surprised to see so many people complaining about how "loud" the PS3 is. Unless the room is totally quiet I don't hear it.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
My PS3 is loud as fuck as soon as the fan starts spinning, so annoying. I hope this is really resolved with PS4.

Mine was loud as Stuka divebomber, but then I opened it up, cleaned the vents and now it is quieter. But still when it kicks into high gear, only headphones help

Hmmm, then if 1.0 sone is 40 dB, then 0.83 sone = 0.83 * 40 = 33,2 dB

Noise references that I can find for past consoles have been:

Launch PS3: 70dB

Slim PS3 (rev1): 60dB

Also. let's not forget that having 10 dBs less is usually perceived to be "half as loud"

If someone has more accurate (or recent) noise references, let me know

Nope you can't directly convert it like that. Take a look at http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculatorSonephon.htm
An extremely rough estimate would put it at between 27-28 dBA

Hanmik

I'm surprised to see so many people complaining about how "loud" the PS3 is. Unless the room is totally quiet I don't hear it.

my wife complains every night about the noise from the PS3. She is really hoping my PS4 is less noisy.. it´s a first edition slim btw.. and it is noisy...

Honestly - for me at least ANYTHING would be an improvement over my launch 360! Looking forward to hearing abut some sound tests against playing/downloading from the Bluray drive.

cromulence

Neo Member
Surprised at the comments about first-gen slim PS3s being noisy. I only notice it when I'm playing GTA or another game that pushes it as hard as it can, and even then it's just a minor fan noise. I also didn't experience any of the spinning when playing Beyond that was just mentioned. Meanwhile, I have an old phat 360 that I pretty much refuse to turn on because it's so damn loud.

Top Bottom