• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4's noise level measured by German IT magazine

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This is seriously great news. Even slim goes into an overdrive mode after about an hour of use and usually less. Not as much as the original, but still. To see that the noise doesn't increase here almost at all is really good. All games installable + silent fan = exactly what I was hoping for from this machine.

pr0cs

impressive.
They must have some pretty crazy magicians working on the case/cooling. Good news really because my phat PS3 is ridiculously loud and one of my biggest worries was packing all that tech in a box that appears quite small including the internal power supply.

I wonder how hot the machine gets.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
My PS3 slim's (bought in march 2011) disc drive makes A LOT of noise!! I hope PS4's drive is quiet
All games get installed, so it doesn't matter on PS4. But man is the Slim drive loud... Playing Beyond on it can be quite annoying at times. Fat drive was so nice and silent in comparison, but the fan noise was far worse.

bj00rn_

Banned
So this thing is actually tested, but still nobody knows how many dB it gives? Neither how many dB when playing a game? I'm confused.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So this thing is actually tested, but nobody knows how many db it gives? Neither how many db when playing a game? I'm confused.
They probably don't have games to test, but I hope they'll test it with a movie playback at least (if even that works with debug unit?). Also the measurement they provide is more useful than decibels IMO, as db doesn't scale in a humanely sensible sort of way.

bj00rn_

Banned
They probably don't have games to test, but I hope they'll test it with a movie playback at least (if even that works with debug unit?). Also the measurement they provide is more useful than decibels IMO, as db doesn't scale in a humanely sensible sort of way.

Yeah I guess they need a game..

But when it comes to the dB measurements, I know and relate to dB because it's a well known way of measuring sound levels, my brain has a sense of what's going on the scale. But I have no idea how to relate to "sone", so to me it doesn't matter how linear it is or not compared to dB.

jiggles

Banned
Less stepping? CAV means the angular velocity is constant, like a record player. There would be no "gears" "switching" if the optical drive is CAV.

Yeah, so a CLV drive smoothly increases the speed the disc is spinning as it's being read from the outside to inside, while a CAV drive will have locked speeds that it jumps between.

Yeah I guess they need a game..

But when it comes to the dB measurements, I know and relate to dB because it's a well known way of measuring sound levels, my brain has a sense of what's going on the scale. But I have no idea how to relate to "sone", so to me it doesn't matter how linear it is or not compared to dB.

This ^^^

This is hopefully 'quiet' (which is subjective) but I have no real way of knowing as I don't understand the scale and am unfamiliar with it. Plus as people have noted, the sound test as not as useful as it could have been by actually noting the type of PS3 used and the programmes running. My phat PS3 is quite loud even as I switch it on, but that's probably because I haven't cleaned it. As long as the PS4 is significantly quieter, I'll be happy :)

My PS3 slim's (bought in march 2011) disc drive makes A LOT of noise!! I hope PS4's drive is quiet
The full install of games will help a lot won't it?
I think that disk drive is most of the noise I hear on my slim, I have an early 360 which sounds like a jet taking off though lol.

Broank

Sounds good. For me even my rumbling, bumbling, circa 2007 360 is quiet enough
unless the disk drive is running then it's like a vortex ripping through the time space continuum and hard to not notice

Bundy

Banned
Very nice! As expected :)
Amazing engineering!
Most powerful hardware, with the best architecture, best design, in a much smaller case/box -> for 100$ less. Simply amazing!

jcm

Yeah, so a CLV drive smoothly increases the speed the disc is spinning as it's being read from the outside to inside, while a CAV drive will have locked speeds that it jumps between.

Why would a CAV drive be switching speeds at all?

hal9001

Banned
After 60 minutes of operation
PS3: 2.1 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

metabanderasps45tuxx.gif

LAA

Awesome! Lots of details coming from this place!
...But yeah, noise on main menu isnt so informative... Would be awesome(r) to know how loud it compares to past PS3's during a game.

Also heat!

This isn't exact as other factors are in play (frequency) but:

1 sone = 40 phons
40 phons = 30dB

For reference 40dB is a whispering voice from 5 feet.

nib95

Banned
And so many tried to use the PS4's size advantage as tantamount evidence of it being loud. Lol. Just good old fashioned quality engineering.

jcm

It will if it has multiple speeds to allow for faster data reading on the outside of the disk.

There are also techs like Z-CLV and P-CAV

I don't think it is PCAV, though. The specs page says it's just CAV. If that's true then it will never change speeds. Do we have reason to believe it's not? That page isn't especially thorough.

this means nothing. they tested wile using the console menus, not gameplay, ps4 can adapt its power consumption and fann levels, unlike ps3, expect it to be louder in actual use.

I didn't know that, how loud would it be then? Is there any way to tell?
The first slim is the CECH-2000 and the second is the CECH-2500. The difference is that the 2500 revision has the 40nm RSX instead of the 55nm one in the 2000. The change came about 4 months into production iirc.

rjinaz

this means nothing. they tested wile using the console menus, not gameplay, ps4 can adapt its power consumption and fann levels, unlike ps3, expect it to be louder in actual use.

Well it does mean something. It means that the step fan is more effective at reducing noise. But yeah, we'll have to see after more thorough testing.

Load temps are important here. The PS4 has much more advanced DVFS (dynamic frequency and voltage scaling) meaning it will reduce the frequency and power-gate circuits when they are under low load.

We need to see the number after 60 minutes of killzone: sf.

imt558

Banned
How does this compare with the slim?

Yes, it's Slim. Or Super Slime, whatever. On the noise level Slim and Super Slim are basically the same. Noise level of PS3 Slim are about 50 db, and it is 2 sone. So, compare it to PS4.:)

PS4's 0.81 sone is about 35 db.

bj00rn_

Banned
And so many tried to use the PS4's size advantage as tantamount evidence of it being loud. Lol. Just good old fashioned quality engineering.

Ah, so in other words, you have the actual data @ maximum power utilization (you know; when running actual games)? Good, good, so what are noise levels? In dB please.

Honestly, I would love it if you are right, just saying, I'm just a little snarky because of the noise levels on my PS3 is just insane, and I'm not convinced before I see the actual data..

bj00rn_

Banned
HDD are VERY LOUD

Well, yes, sometimes.. But most of the time most of the noise from HDDs actually comes from vibrations / resonance. I built a new PC once, and it was very loud. I thought there was something seriously wrong with it until I found out it was because of vibrations. I fixed it by rolling up a T-shirt and put it under one of the legs on the case :)

Skeff

Yes, it's Slim. Or Super Slime, whatever. On the noise level Slim and Super Slim are basically the same. Noise level of PS3 Slim are about 50 db, and it is 2 sone. So, compare it to PS4.:)

PS4's 0.81 sone is about 35 db.

It doesn't scale linearly the relationship between sone and dB:

Nope you can't directly convert it like that. Take a look at http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculatorSonephon.htm
An extremely rough estimate would put it at between 27-28 dBA

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I don't really pay much attention to the loudness once I get playing a game. I fire up 8 fans on my PC and 2 loud GPU fans. I hardly even notice the fans while playing and PS4 will be much, much quieter.

kartu

Banned
Soo... when idling PS4 doesn't get hotter.

What about watching movie scenario? (I realize they prolly can't start a game)

Quasar

Seems pretty pointless to measure sound just when idling. Could have at least measured it when playing a bluray over time, if not a game.

Top Bottom