• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quentin Tarantino Sued Over ‘Django Unchained’ Alleged Copyright Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/quentin-tarantino-sued-infringement-django-unchained-1201669974/

The suit alleges that the Corbins registered “Freedom” with the Writers Guild of America in 2004 and took it into CAA and the William Morris Agency. The Corbins also placed the script on Triggerstreet’s script web site.

“There are a plethora of similarities between ‘Freedom’ and ‘Django Unchained,'” the suit asserts. “Defendants would call them coincidences, however, the intentional use of our work is neither an
accident nor coincidence.”

Referring to the “Freedom” script, the suit said, “Before Django Freeman, there was an escaped slave named Jackson Freeman who desired to purchase his family’s freedom from a malevolent plantation owner.”

The suit also alleges, “Defendant Tarantino claims to have based his screenplay on Sergio Corbucci’s ‘Django,’ but the truth is that there are far more similarities between ‘Freedom’ and ‘Django Unchained’ than between ‘Django’ and ‘Django Unchained.'”

The suit asserts that a key plot point, in which Django returns to free his wife (played by Washington) from her plantation owner (DiCaprio), was taken from “Freedom”: “Returning to the hellish realm of the South to purchase the freedom of his loved one(s) with the assistance of a Caucasian in the South is the uniquely original beat that links ‘Django Unchained’ to ‘Freedom.'”

The suit asks for compensatory damages of more than “hundreds of millions of dollars.”

A rep for Columbia’s parent Sony Pictures declined to comment. Reps for Tarantino and TWC did not respond to requests for comment.

The suit was filed the day before TWC released Tarantino’s Western “The Hateful Eight.”

Literally just finished watching this again five minutes ago, went to google search it to find some interviews and this was the first news story that came up.

WillyFive

I'm actually rewatching this movie at this very moment.

The thing about stories is that unless you get very, very specific; it can be related to tons of other similar stories, without any author ever coming across the work or even consciously copying it.

Ghazi

The thing about stories is that unless you get very, very specific; it can be related to tons of other similar stories, without any author ever coming across the work or even consciously copying it.
Yeah. I'm sure the basic story here has been told well before either of these guys.

Crossing Eden

So it says that they put the script for Freedom on a website. Curious if anyone can find it.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't know that "Returning to the hellish realm of the South to purchase the freedom of his loved one(s) with the assistance of a Caucasian in the South" sounds all that "uniquely original" to me.

Werd

Uh pretty sure Tarrantino doesn't claim to have based the actual plot on "Django", he just uses the name and makes references.

Anyway, doesn't sound like there is a real case.

gdt

Watching the movie and on Gaf at the same time?

Crossing Eden

I don't know that "Returning to the hellish realm of the South to purchase the freedom of his loved one(s) with the assistance of a Caucasian in the South" sounds all that "uniquely original" to me.
If it said something like "German speaking Caucasian" I'd be a lot more suspicious.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's not. It sounds like something that's been done to death, partly because it has.

Ridley327

I mean, it's not like it's without precedent that Tarantino would ape another film, but the allegation centering around a not-uncommon plot thread like that seems a tad spurious. Adding in "with the assistance of a Caucasian" sounds like a desperation tactic to give it any kind of unique trait.

Not to mention, with the chief influences on Django Unchained being what they are, Tarantino probably found at least one other film from that period that also featured someone named Django in that situation. Italian genre filmmaking at that time was nothing if not openly incestuous.

Guess Who

Banned
Before Django Freeman, there was an escaped slave named Jackson Freeman

And I'm absolutely sure no one ever used "Freeman" as an ironic name for a former slave in fiction before.

And the idea of a freed slave trying to free the rest of their family, even with the help of a white person, had definitely never been done before "Freedom."

Breaking news, old german families suing Tarantino for copyright infringement over the similarity between old folk lore and his script

And I'm absolutely sure no one ever used "Freeman" as an ironic name for a former slave in fiction before.

And the idea of a freed slave trying to free the rest of their family, even with the help of a white person, had definitely never been done before "Freedom."

Breaking news, Gabe Newell sued for the use of the character Dr. Freeman.

Hatchtag

Banned
Did Django even really return to the South? He started there. He was maybe outside of the South during the montage, but that's about it.

Ridley327

Christ, even The Boondocks had an episode about a slave ancestor of the Freeman family that escaped.

Krejlooc

Banned

Dude is gonna go after catcha freeman next.

Christ, even The Boondocks had an episode about a slave ancestor of the Freeman family that escaped.

lol like minds

Going to need some more specific parallels, because a freed slave working with a white man to buy his wife is so vague that I don't think you can really argue copyright infringement.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Literally just finished watching this again five minutes ago, went to google search it to find some interviews and this was the first news story that came up.

Huh just watched this like 30 min ago
Is this a new holiday?

Faddy

Banned
You can't copyright an idea. Unless they provide a script that has several direct lines used by Tarantino there is no way they will win in court.

kswiston

Whoever was the first to do the sports film where a shitty team full of unique characters loses a bunch of games due to horrible team work, slowly learns to work together and make a comeback, has a team crisis, and then overcomes that to win the championship should be filing a ton of lawsuits if basic plot points could be copywritten.

bengraven

It's not the first time this has been done.

Also "Freeman" is a commonly used name for freed slaves in literature. Hell, I'm writing a western with a former slave with the last name "Freedman". I mean, it's not that original.

DiscoJer

You can't copyright an idea. Unless they provide a script that has several direct lines used by Tarantino there is no way they will win in court.

Well, the creator of The Clonus Horror sued over The Island. I don't think they borrowed any lines, but the plot similarity was enough that they settled the case for 7 figures.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is going to be a stretch, I wonder if they have anything else beyond what they've shown here. "Freeman" was the name a lot of freed slaves took, it's factual so they'll throw that out right away. So they have him going back for his wife who is still a slave...which also isn't some super original concept. If you're going to write motivation for a freed man to go back, you'll do kids or wife.

SeanC

Everything made gets sued by someone with this crap. Grasping at straws.

Maybe this guy is just salty he wasted money on some shit website to get his script read.

And what does "took it into CAA and the William Morris Agency" mean? Did his dumb ass email some offices with an unsolicited script? I'm betting yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom